• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Title Screen Project

U2NUMB

logo%202.jpg

Three years ago I started a little side project on something that I have always enjoyed. For some reason title screens of all sorts (Movies, Album Art, etc..) have always interested me. I think when done well they set the mood and especially with video games really set the game in motion. I remember letting the Halo title screen just go on and on while doing other things in the house.

So my project involved capturing as many video game start up and title screens as I could get my hands on. Today I uploaded my 1000th title screen to my youtube channel dedicated 100% to title screens from video games.

I have never monetized a single video (any ads running on the videos are from copyright claims) and do it purely out of the love of this concept. Not one penny has been earned by me from this

My reason for posting today is simply the milestone of the 1000th title screen and to maybe share what I have collected with everyone here. Seems to make sense that I share it with other gaming fans and maybe some of you will get some joy out of it. I am also always looking for people to help grow the number of title screens (PC and retro are always needed). If you have the means to record and also share the title screen passion shoot me a PM.

So some stats …..

Total channel views 207,997

Top individual title screen views
gafpost.png

Country
gafpost2.png

So while I fully expect many “what a waste of time” posts I certainly hope some of you will find some title screens that bring back memories and maybe a handful of gaf members would like to help with this project.

Also a big shout out to Brandon, Jake, Kyle and Nick for helping and Gamefly...

Link to the channel

PressStartOnce -The Video Game Title Screen Project

iMax

You should totally do an 'end credits' channel too, by the way. Fond memories of old Call of Duty rolls with soldiers jumping over dead cows.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Taken as a whole, the collection has a strange emotional power for me. Nice work, TC

U2NUMB

Congratulations !!!!

Maybe this is nitpcking but I just saw the video for Bioshock Infinite and noticed a notification coming in from Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5zSiYgEQB8

You can disable Steam overlay to avoid those showing up and have a cleaner video :)

Anyway here is to the next 1000!!!!!

I actually remember that one.. That was submitted by a friend who had a PC at the time to run it at a much higher quality so I was at the mercy of his recording. I turn off all notifications on any system I record but I am sure a couple have sneaked through..

Good eye.

And thanks for the kinds words.. glad others can find some joy in it.

This is not a waste of time, it's awesome! Thanks for your hard work, you've earned another subscriber. I really enjoy archives of all kinds.

Cinx

Neo Member
Wow dude, really amazing job. You are awesome!

I remember the intros of Wii Games. Those intros are my favorites.

Off topic: my first response in this forum :D ... 0 post u.u

Zabant

OP, you're a hero.

This is one of the 'cool ideas' you have in the shower that require so much work and overhead that they never get done. Yet you're doing it.

One thing, I hope you have these all hosted/saved somewhere else. The net is fickle and as big as YT is, it's a business and can go away.

Get all this on Archive.org if you can.

U2NUMB

One thing, I hope you have these all hosted/saved somewhere else. The net is fickle and as big as YT is, it's a business and can go away.

Get all this on Archive.org if you can.

This is something that has worried me over the years... Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it. I also want to / need to local back up at least just in case.

U2NUMB

Why not monetize it?

Mainly because I really want it to be viewed as a project and one quick way to getting shit pulled on youtube is to monetize.

And as much work as it has been I really do not consider anything I am uploading my work.. the visual and audio is unchanged and I do not feel right about making money from it.

I also do not need to... this is truly a hobby for me.

Whoa whoa whoa! Xenoblade's not in the top 10? I would expect it to be...people love that thing. What rank is it?

EDIT: Here's one with 38,000 views, but it's been on youtube a lot longer.

One thing I have learned is that if you are first to YouTube on stuff like this you will win. My Last of Us was up right away and it has pulled in a ton of views. So when people search for Xenoblade Title screen we all know which one is at the top.

I love this. You need R.C. Pro-Am. As a kid I used to hit the reset button over and over so I could hear that awesome title theme.

You must be around my age... I freaking LOVED that title screen and in fact that audio may have something to do with getting me into Title Screens. I will add it to the list ( I actually do have a long list of requested screens). Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

Zabant

Why not monetize it?

I personally wouldn't like this. I'm there to view 30 sec of footage, if i have to see an ad that's just as long as that before it plays...ughh

I'd be all for a 'donate to keep this effort going' option though

That's a cool idea. Considering the intense amount of title screens you must have seen, I think doing something like a "top 10 title screens in gaming history" would be interesting to see.

Evilisk

It's a cool idea IMO. I mean of course not every game has had the work put into their title screens but showcasing the ones that have is great. ive got a few suggestions on cool title screens I've come across that you might find interesting:

Not sure if you mean only title screens or if you're including opening cinematics too, but if you are doing the latter, I think Wild Arms 3 is really great at this. Unlike other RPG's with anime intros, the intro actually changes depending on what part of the story you're up to. Only in parts mind you but it's still really great and rather unique

infamous also has a cool as hell title screen when you first start, in that it just shows Empire City until you actually press start. Pressing start causes an explosion to start but it's not just any explosion, it's the one that gives the MC their powers and creates the setting. The story literally doesn't start until you press the start button which is super cool

Puppeteer is also unusual in that like the rest of its game, some heavy narration occurs on its title screen too

I also recall X-Men Destiny having an interesting menu screen but I'm not 100% sure if that also included its title screen too.

Anyway just keep on trucking OP. It's not a bad idea at all

Zabant

You know OP, I could set up a small website for you about this effort if you'd like.

Just a little something for people who are interested in helping to submit footage and links to etc.

U2NUMB

Uploaded a couple cool ones lately including the new Batman game as the Arkham series has always had solid ones. Sadly the new one is sort of simple compared to City and Origins..... certainly dark in tone. I might be the only person as excited to see a new title screen as much as I am the game itself.

Arkham Knight Title Screen

Arkham Asylum Title Screen
Arkham City Title Screen
Arkham Origins Title Screen

Also finally uploaded Bloodborne... which I think looks great as well.
Bloodborne Title Screen

Gears of War Ultimate Edition Beta... smooth as well.
Gears Ultimate Title Screen

Top Bottom