• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 beta artwork and storyboards

xfactor

Banned
Sheva is in most of the artworks. Is that enough proof that she wasn't added in last min to appease the people who cry 'racist' over this game?

VaLiancY

Gomu Gomu said:
qnjvxw.jpg

That would have been AWESOME. Now I'm really interested to know why were those scenarios canceled ?

Cause you can't walk and shoot at the same time, you silly goose.

Sean

Banned
A lot of these scenarios sound much more exciting than what we got in the final game. I can see why most of them got cut though, things like the Gigante army would be difficult to pull off on these consoles.

No excuse for them cutting the Jill scenario though. It would have been great for Chris and Jill to team up again, even if it was only for one chapter.

ZeoVGM

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Well, it did.

Except for where it didn't.

I could understand being disappointed, but to say RE5 "sucked" is just silly message board hyeprbole.

Anyway, that train sequence and the El Gigante army battles would have been fucking awesome.

Flawed, but great game.

Looks like the Majini were supposed to be closer to the mansion zombies than RE4's Ganados. That would have been nice. Who's the lady in the pink business suit with Wesker all the time?

goldenpp72

ChoklitReign said:
Looks like the Majini were supposed to be closer to the mansion zombies than RE4's Ganados. That would have been nice. Who's the lady in the pink business suit with Wesker all the time?

I figured it was excella

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
DarkUSS said:
That's the way it's meant to be played in the first place. It's a co-op game, I don't understand why people don't realize it (and I'm not referring to you personally).

Because the first 4 Resident Evils weren't. I don't understand why people don't realize it (and I'm not referring to you personally).

EDIT: To be a little less snarky, for the same reason people were extremely apprehensive about Final Fantasy Online being given a number in the series, XI, and not being treated as a standalone outside the numbered series. It's not that XI was bad or wrong for being made, it just didn't belong in the "main" series.

It's not that everything should always remain the same. Change is good (see Resident Evil 4), but there are certain things that should not be changed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
RurouniZel said:
Because the first 4 Resident Evils weren't. I don't understand why people don't realize it (and I'm not referring to you personally).

EDIT: To be a little less snarky, for the same reason people were extremely apprehensive about Final Fantasy Online being given a number in the series, XI, and not being treated as a standalone outside. It's not that XI was bad or wrong for being made, it just didn't belong in the "main" series.
This is a little different actually, since it's part of a corporate wide shift instead of a change limited to one series.

Keiji Inafune recently commented about the shift actually.

Keiji Inafune said:
We're at a point in game history that you need to have some form of multiplayer component in a game.
Since Capcom decided to add multiplayer to all of its games going forward, they decided to merge it into the main series, because otherwise the main series would cease to exist.

I can see why people would disagree with their decision, but considering the decision they made, it seems pretty logical that they would merge it into the main series.

Davey Cakes

Multiplayer, co-op, and other influences of the current generation are the reasons why RE5 ended up as a mere shell of what it could've been.

Capcom feeling that they "needed" to add in a multiplayer component to a series of games that NEVER so deeply relied on multiplayer before is a big problem. So, what, just to satiate the gaming audience now every game needs to include a multiplayer component, and one that may become the focus of the game to the point where it actually takes away from other aspects? I don't like the sound of that at all.

Ephemeris

g35twinturbo said:
my good ol buddy!

we would be playing RE5 all day instead of 5am in the morning :lol

Most def. You know my bow-and-arrow skills are UNMATCHED.:lol

but for the times I do miss, that's what the rocket launcher's for.

Nemesis_

I bought the book from e-capcom on the day of release and I was impressed with it. That being said, I am glad that they gave Excella a more "powerful" role in TriCell's activities than the original role she had (She was just a secretary who eventually got killed by a tyrant >_>).

I would have loved that urban Licker battle T_T

I also loved the bloody and rotting appearence of the Town Majini, though that would kind of ruin the vibe of "but who knows which is which, and who is who is who is who", not that they went anywhere with it =/

But what would have made it awesome is all the uninfected running around =(

Zenith

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
I bought the book from e-capcom on the day of release and I was impressed with it. That being said, I am glad that they gave Excella a more "powerful" role in TriCell's activities than the original role she had (She was just a secretary who eventually got killed by a tyrant >_>).

Does it say anything more?

DiddyBop

Rash said:
Multiplayer, co-op, and other influences of the current generation are the reasons why RE5 ended up as a mere shell of what it could've been.

Capcom feeling that they "needed" to add in a multiplayer component to a series of games that NEVER so deeply relied on multiplayer before is a big problem. So, what, just to satiate the gaming audience now every game needs to include a multiplayer component, and one that may become the focus of the game to the point where it actually takes away from other aspects? I don't like the sound of that at all.

so true. i really hope they keep multiplayer away from dmc6.

Wow some of that stuff is spectacular. But it seems like they were dream concepts, I guess tech held them back.

Guys dont forget that we did have some crazy setpieces in RE5. Imagine if all we saw were drawings of U-8 or the final Uroboros fight. How about the lickers guarding the temple door. Or a drawing of Irving fight. We would all be saying the same thing "omg that would be so awesome to play!!!"

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Rash said:

Exactly. I'm all for Capcom bringing multiplayer to Biohazard/Resident Evil. But don't bring it into the main-series unless it's a supplement to the main-adventure/singleplayer. Bio5's main failing is that it REQUIRES a second player to fully enjoy it (unless you have infinite ammo and a good rifle for Sheeva to stay in "attack" mode). Which was never what the main-series was about.

Honestly, I'd love Capcom to bring Outbreak back. Even if it goes with the (ugh) 4-5 formula of "over-the-shoulder" instead of the classic "tank moving in pre-rendered backgrounds/3D" 1-3 formula. That would be a more fitting place to make multiplayer a main focus to the series (hell, do it like Left 4 Dead and have some zombies, lickers, or Tyrants be controlled by a player. Outbreak had the interesting way of making the player a controlled zombie (after they succumbed to the virus) if only for a short while, why they didn't pursue that more is beyond me. But yeah...

Also, awesome thread. I really love seeing the stuff that never came in the final versions of the game (I'm still of the opinion that 4's opening trailer [when it was Gamecube exclusive] with the Hookman hybrid 1-3/4 camera angles/aiming system would've been killer).

What is going on with the pics in the city. That looks like a totally different location than Africa, it almost looks like a playable version of where Spencer's castle was at if there was a city nearby. There is a gun shop, there are multiple survivors fighting what looks to be normal zombies. Very interesting.

MiamiWesker said:
What is going on with the pics in the city. That looks like a totally different location than Africa, it almost looks like a playable version of where Spencer's castle was at if there was a city nearby. There is a gun shop, there are multiple survivors fighting what looks to be normal zombies. Very interesting.

They appear to have some mannerisms and apearence of zombies, but they still seem to have Plagas (Scrotum Squid OMG). One of the CG closeups of an enemy is exactly the same as a Majini in the final game, but with grayer skin and bloody scabs. Not all that different from the Tribal Majini. T-virus+Plaga maybe?

How About No said:
They appear to have some mannerisms and apearence of zombies, but they still seem to have Plagas (Scrotum Squid OMG). One of the CG closeups of an enemy is exactly the same as a Majini in the final game, but with grayer skin and bloody scabs. Not all that different from the Tribal Majini. T-virus+Plaga maybe?

I need to see the rest of those pics then. Sounds cool.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
MiamiWesker said:

some reason after reading your post ,I got this urge to play RE:Outbreak :(

Degen

The devs obviously became paranoid and decided that actual horror would be racist.

But srsly, the complete lack thereof was my biggest problem with the game. It's good, but I was hoping for something on 4's level, at least. Instead, we got The Adventures of RoidMan and DiversityGirl. Seeing some of those concepts just adds to the disappointment now.

bhhawks78

Banned
Degen said:
The devs obviously became paranoid and decided that actual horror would be racist.

But srsly, the complete lack thereof was my biggest problem with the game. It's good, but I was hoping for something on 4's level, at least. Instead, we got The Adventures of RoidMan and DiversityGirl. Seeing some of those concepts just adds to the disappointment now.

Agree completely, i enjoyed my play through but was glad it was a rental and not a 60$ purchase.

Truant

Rash said:
If anything, the game was over-appreciated. Should've gotten 8's across the board, if that.

8?

Are you crazy?

This game is a 6 at most. Completely average, with some great graphics and mildly suspenseful areas.

Mudkips

Banned
Resident Action 5 is a solid, boulder-punching 8.0.
Resident Evil 5 is a 6, tops.

The GC REmake is the definitive RE. It's a shame we didn't get a similar treatment for RE2.

ReREmake HD, please.

U K Narayan said:
Whatever.

I didn't like the game.

Is this too much for you to handle?

Your trolling has single-handedly turned this thread into a debate about the quality of the game. Great job.

Gilgamesh

Prime Blue said:
Yeah, honestly! One can only imagine the excitement it would have been, as desert levels are always full of interesting tasks, such as running around and running around and running around.
Good job posting videos from technically unimpressive N64 games and an SNES game where half of the video is spent doing some weird speedrun attack glitch.

ArjanN

Diablohead said:
It's now official, forced co-op ruind the game.

This just seems like a bunch of concept art to me, like there is for every game. And it never matches up completely with the actual game. They just give the concept artist the basic concept: hey, special agents are fighting zombie monsters in africa. They draw a bunch of scenarios and they pick stuff they like from that.

Doesn't mean they actually cut things out.

ArjanN said:
This just seems like a bunch of concept art to me, like there is for every game. And it never matches up completely with the actual game. They just give the concept artist the basic concept: hey, special agents are fighting zombie monsters in africa. They draw a bunch of scenarios and they pick stuff they like from that.

Doesn't mean they actually cut things out.
Maybe I said it too seriously but I understand things can be cut or changed for any reasons. But if it was just chris at the end I could see them using a fighter instead of a heli.

Gilgamesh said:
Good job posting videos from technically unimpressive N64 games and an SNES game where half of the video is spent doing some weird speedrun attack glitch.
Good job not posting any videos showing interesting desert gameplay.

Top Bottom