• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Avellone has left Obsidian Entertainment

This is one of the more surprising departures I can think of. I wonder where he's going to wind up next. I have a hard time imagining many places that would be a better fit for him.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Fargo's been teasing that they are wanting to revive Van Buren, as well as another really neat sounding CRPG based around time travel that Interplay canceled back in the day.

Including and beyond those, it's pretty believable that whatever inXile has in the pipeline might be much more interesting to him than what Obsidian is going to be working on for the next few years.

But what team can actually do that work? Unless they've gone on a huge hiring spree it seems like they are likely a ways from being ready to move forward in production on another game with Bard's Tale only just about to get off the ground.

Mindlog

I missed this news. Best of luck to him and to everyone still at Obsidian Entertainment. When you add up my list of favorite games those names are heavily featured.

Ushay

Where ever he went the title must be under wraps for him not to confirm where he's working. Why the secrecy otherwise? My money is on either Microsoft or Ubisoft.

Nairume

Banned
But what team can actually do that work? Unless they've gone on a huge hiring spree it seems like they are likely a ways from being ready to move forward in production on another game with Bard's Tale only just about to get off the ground.
You said it yourself that Torment being done is probably the earliest they can start working on something else. Unless Torment gets hit with another delay that significantly bogs the team down, they'll probably be wrapping up reasonably soon enough for Avellone to jump in and start working on designing a new project for them to work on once more manpower is freed to start full development.

Sotha_Sil

He's a damn legend in game development, I hope he's not leaving the industry altogether. It seems like he's been in more of an advisor position at Obsidian recently, maybe he wants to be more actively involved again.

I hope he goes to Bethesda, they could really benefit from his talents.

Edit/joke..... Clearly Kojima and MCA need to team up. Kojima's gameplay and polish with MCA's writing and mechanical design. My god.

Sijil

IMO, MCA should stay far away from AAA gaming industry, his writing is detailed and verbose and that's what I like about it and I doubt his writing would find much appeal in AAA games where most dialogue is cut down to fit voice acting budget and limitations.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
The other Chris. Chris Johnes Chris Parker, Darren Monahan, Of Course Feargus, and Josh Sawyer. There a ton still there.
Not sure what to make of Josh Sawyer since outside of the canceled Van Buren and Fallout:New Vegas he didn't work on any other Fallout games.

Chris Jones worked on the original Fallout so kudos there

Chris Parker only has Fallout:New Vegas under his belt.

Darren Monahan was there for Fallout 1,Fallout 2 and Fallout:New Vegas so he's alright in my book.

As for Feargus MacRae Urquhart he's been with Fallout since the start but didn't work on Fallout 3 or Fallout Spin Offs (obviously) but he's a mix bag in my opinion because IIRC he was the one to be blamed for rushing titles that caused the game have bugs on release such as Fallout 2.

Hmmm I don't know what to think of this really because when I think if Fallout I think of Brian Fargo, Tim Cain and Chris Avellone (Sorry Todd Howard you haven't defined yourself as a Fallout Icon IMO) so I really hope Chris goes to work with inXile Entertainment.

You said it yourself that Torment being done is probably the earliest they can start working on something else. Unless Torment gets hit with another delay that significantly bogs the team down, they'll probably be wrapping up reasonably soon enough for Avellone to jump in and start working on designing a new project for them to work on once more manpower is freed to start full development.

I thought the inXile had designers, artists, etc freed up now which is why they are starting on Bard's Tale? I wold imagine they are at least a year from being ready to move on to another project after that, maybe more.

But who knows, maybe Avellone will pop up on inXile's roster during the BT4 campaign to boost pledges.

Not sure what to make of Josh Sawyer since outside of the canceled Van Buren and Fallout:New Vegas he didn't work on any other Fallout games.

Chris Jones worked on the original Fallout so kudos there

Chris Parker only has Fallout:New Vegas under his belt.

Darren Monahan was there for Fallout 1,Fallout 2 and Fallout:New Vegas so he's alright in my book.

As for Feargus MacRae Urquhart he's been with Fallout since the start but didn't work on Fallout 3 or Fallout Spin Offs (obviously) but he's a mix bag in my opinion because IIRC he was the one to be blamed for rushing titles that caused the game have bugs on release such as Fallout 2.

Hmmm I don't know what to think of this really because when I think if Fallout I think of Brian Fargo, Tim Cain and Chris Avellone (Sorry Todd Howard you haven't defined yourself as a Fallout Icon IMO) so I really hope Chris goes to work with inXile Entertainment.

You are moving goal posts. You asked about Interplay vets. Interplay/Black Isle was more than just Fallout.

Teeth

Defense Against Dark Arts?
D.A.D.A?

Maybe he's going to be a dad?

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised if he just decided to write books or comics or something. There are so many soul crushing restrictions and take backs that come with the games writing process, I could see him wanting to be free of that. Consulting or freelancing would be even worse for it due to lack of project control and perceived importance. The work gets your name slapped on it but so little of what you wanted in there actually remains.

Good luck to him wherever he ends up.

What? Come on... horrible news. Why did I come check Gaf while at work... I hope he finds another home soon, this guy should write characters for every RPG out there.

SL128

In the past few years he's done writing for:
Wasteland 2
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Legends of Grimrock 2
Legends of Grimrock: The series
FTL: Advanced Edition
Pillars of Eternity

My guess is that he's going fully freelance to remove non-writing obligations at Obsidian since he's only known to have worked on one project there recently. If that's the case, he could still work with them, probably while contributing to even more things.

In the past few years he's done writing for:
Wasteland 2
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Legends of Grimrock 2
Legends of Grimrock: The series
FTL: Advanced Edition
Pillars of Eternity

My guess is that he's going fully freelance to remove non-writing obligations at Obsidian since he's only known to have worked on one project there recently. If that's the case, he could still work with them, probably while contributing to even more things.

He worked on Grimrock 2? Is the writing and or story actually good? I was under the impression that the story was kind of a secondary focus in that series.

Violet_0

Banned
rip Obsidian, shouldn't have re-written Avellone's PoE characters
/s
hope he keeps working in the game industry

Fjordson

That's a bummer, but hopefully he lands somewhere else in gaming. He's a legend!

If not, then best of luck to him outside of gaming. Has always seemed like a quality human being.

Labadal

If people are coming up with crazy scenarios, then I'll go with this: He'll be teaming up with Yasumi Matsuno and they will launch a Kickstarter campaign for the best rpg ever.

Oh, no-no-no, I know it's such a waste of Avellone's pedigree to want him writing Fallout games until the end of days... but I want him writing Fallout games until the end of days.

Go to Bethesda. Bethesda. Betheeeeeesda.

Farks!

Whaaaaaaaaat?! I saw this on Twitter and thought it was a joke. Oh well, hopefully it's somewhere where his talent is put to good use.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I am devastate.

Also you guys wanting him to go to Bethesda, fucking batshit crazy you all are, and apparently clueless.

Feep

Banned
Last month I fenced Chris and I beat him.

So I don't think he's going to pursue a fencing career. Narrow down that list.

Davide

Amazing writer. There was so much depth to the KotOR II script.

Too much to hope that he's joined BioWare in writing KotOR III...

foxtrot3d

Banned
WHAT THE FUCK!?!

I sure hope he's staying in game development/writing and I'm curious where he lands next. This is a huge.

Flakster99

Well that fucking sucks. Completely blind sided. I wonder where he'll end up?

The dude is super talented so I am excited to see what comes to pass but I'm sad to see him leaving Obsidian. What a legacy he is leaving behind.

Xiao Hu

He's obviously heading to WB to codirect a Harry Potter-RPG...

On a serious note it's a huge loss for Obsidian.

Sijil

So this was posted on the RPGCodex, taken from Chris Avellone Facebook account:

z1xHKFw.jpg

Maybe power struggle inside Obsidian itself? Damn shame either way to see a legend from my teen years walk away.

Mulgrok

Whatever MCA moves on to will have my full attention.

Good luck and safe travels. *salute*

EDIT: I really wish Obsidian went with an Avellone passion project instead of playing it safe with PoE. I enjoy PoE thoroughly, but it wasn't mind blowing creative in the slightest.

Dresden

So this was posted on the RPGCodex, taken from Chris Avellone Facebook account:

z1xHKFw.jpg

Maybe power struggle inside Obsidian itself? Damn shame either way to see a legend from my teen years walk away.

wow, hope it ended more amiably than this might indicate

otoh, he finally has the time to finish Arcanum.

epmode

That Facebook post is killing me. I only want Mr. Chris Avellone to be happy! ..as he develops depressing games with emotionally broken characters.
otoh, he finally has the time to finish Arcanum.

I dunno, those wolves are pretty tough.

i-Lo

I guess they really didn't want to go ahead with KoTOR 3 on consoles and PC and opted for a mobile game instead.

/speculation

Top Bottom