• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dan Carlin and Sam Harris recorded a "simulcast" together

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure if I am biased towards DC or if its the way it was but I really thought Sam was pretty outclassed in the "debate". All he seems to do is parrot the same ideas over and over again. But then again, that might have been because his fields of knowledge arent history or politics.

Also, this is probably the cynicism talking but Sam sounds incredibly naive. That might just be me.

Really, really good listen though.

Hari Seldon

I have no idea who Sam is, but I didn't like him. Another chickenhawk who wants other people to go to war for his ideas. He might as well be Bill Crystal.

Fireblend

Banned
Listened to it on Sunday. Pretty good "debate"; although it was more of a conversation between people with different viewpoints. I agree Sam is more of an idealist while Dan is much more of a realist and draws his views from experience, but I thought the conversation wasn't particularly dominated by either, with both having plenty valid stuff to say. Very, very educative.

Great listen.

lazygecko

I've never listened to Sam Harris before either. I didn't really get much of a warhawk vibe from his arguments. Overall an insightful listen with plenty of food for thought.

entremet

I have no idea who Sam is, but I didn't like him. Another chickenhawk who wants other people to go to war for his ideas. He might as well be Bill Crystal.

He was one of the prominent New Atheists.

A few years ago him, Dawkins, Hitchens, and an academic by the name of Daniel Dennett, who all released books on atheism around the same time, condemning religion aggressively.

These books were more confrontational than most works before, in part due to Islamic terrorisms, so the authors took a hard line against religion.

I'm not an atheist, but I like Sam a lot. I don't agree with him on everything. His stuff on mediation is fantastic.

danwarb

He didn't seem that way a few years ago. He's lost reason.

Dawkins hasn't and remains receptive to reality. He's also much brighter than Sam.

Even though we agree on several points, Sam has always seemed too far out for me. He is influenced heavily by his former use of hallucinogens.

He was the weakest "horseman" among the atheist community for his support of spirituality.

Fascinating and really sharp.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I liked this, even if I disagree on many points with both Dan and Sam. It's refreshing to hear two smart people debate honestly and in good faith. I hope this simulcast is the first of many between them.

Sam didn't seem war-hungry to me at all. He advocates more intervention, Dan advocates less, but neither of them struck me as crazy ideologues.

entremet

Even though we agree on several points, Sam has always seemed too far out for me. He is influenced heavily by his former use of hallucinogens.

He was the weakest "horseman" among the atheist community for his support of spirituality.

He's a neuroscientist and that's the lens he sees stuff like meditation and psychedelics

totowhoa

Banned
Yeah I thought this was pretty great. Found it to be a very efucational and thoughtful two hours. Wish Dan would do this more often.

Hari Seldon

He was one of the prominent New Atheists.

A few years ago him, Dawkins, Hitchens, and an academic by the name of Daniel Dennett, who all released books on atheism around the same time, condemning religion aggressively.

These books were more confrontational than most works before, in part due to Islamic terrorisms, so the authors took a hard line against religion.

I'm not an atheist, but I like Sam a lot. I don't agree with him on everything. His stuff on mediation is fantastic.

The idea that we need to world police things around the world, first with twitter shaming (lol), and then with economics (i.e. starving out millions of people while the elite live fine), and then with war (that obviously me and mine will not be signing up for) is some Bill Crystal neocon level evilness. Maybe he has some other qualities which are good, but that line of thinking I detest.

Atrophis

The idea that we need to world police things around the world, first with twitter shaming (lol), and then with economics (i.e. starving out millions of people while the elite live fine), and then with war (that obviously me and mine will not be signing up for) is some Bill Crystal neocon level evilness. Maybe he has some other qualities which are good, but that line of thinking I detest.

Read up on his recent spat with Chomsky. Harris has some pretty reprehensible ideas when it comes to war and showed himself to be quite the fool on the subject.

I'll give this a listen tomorrow, always up for more Dan Carlin.

Arkeband

Banned
Read up on his recent spat with Chomsky. Harris has some pretty reprehensible ideas when it comes to war and showed himself to be quite the fool on the subject.

I couldn't get through Sam and Noam's published e-mail argument, a lot of it was arguing semantics and it was riddled with passive-aggressive bullshit.

Can you summarize what their particular stances were? I know a lot of people like to misrepresent Sam Harris's views as warlike but in the context of what he's said I didn't get that vibe... at all.

FairyD

It was a good episode. I felt like Dan ran circles around Sam. He can't seem to see things from a different perspective and dodges the question when asked directly by Dan Carlin or even earlier in the year with Chomsky.

Hari Seldon

Yeah it is definitely a great episode, even though I don't agree with Sam. It was Dan's best "interview" show by a large margin.

Atrophis

I couldn't get through Sam and Noam's published e-mail argument, a lot of it was arguing semantics and it was riddled with passive-aggressive bullshit.

Can you summarize what their particular stances were? I know a lot of people like to misrepresent Sam Harris's views as warlike but in the context of what he's said I didn't get that vibe... at all.

My problem with Harris is his naive rose tinted views on the motivation of western military interventions and apologism for the civilian casualties that result. Chomskys view is that the motivation doesn't give you a free pass when thousands of innocents still die.

This is a good summary.

Chairman Yang

Sam Harris is a joke. Dan Carlin did a disservice to podcast by associating with this man.
What specific points in the podcast were a joke and unworthy of discussion?

Honestly, the more unsubstantiated hate I see for Sam Harris discussions or writings, the more sympathetic I am to his claims of being frequently misrepresented or shouted down.

If he's wrong (and I think he is in many ways), fine, address the areas he's wrong. If you think he's arguing in bad faith, show some evidence of that. If you think he's an idiot, talk about how. And if you're criticizing Sam's discussion in the podcast, it makes sense to stick to things he said in the podcast, rather than digging up things he's said elsewhere.

Basically, contribute something.

lazygecko

Honestly, the more unsubstantiated hate I see for Sam Harris discussions or writings, the more sympathetic I am to his claims of being frequently misrepresented or shouted down.

If he's wrong (and I think he is in many ways), fine, address the areas he's wrong. If you think he's arguing in bad faith, show some evidence of that. If you think he's an idiot, talk about how. And if you're criticizing Sam's discussion in the podcast, it makes sense to stick to things he said in the podcast, rather than digging up things he's said elsewhere.

Basically. But then, you're asking this on a forum where any gaming topic that happens to be brought up by someone like, say, TotalBiscuit, will be immediately followed by token posts attempting to invalidate the whole discussion because he said this one time that he sympathized with Microsoft trying to curb reselling games.

Valhelm

contribute something

Noted. I'll admit that I didn't pay enough attention to Harris' points to make any kind of intelligent critique, because I have a pretty strong aversion to Harris in any capacity. Sam Harris posits himself as a renaissance man, which I think is a laudable goal for personal improvement, but because he has his fingers in so many pies (biology, "New Atheism", history, philosophy, neuroscience, and politics) he hasn't been able to sufficiently study and understand any of those fields except neuroscience, and his contribution to any of them has generally been unoriginal and generally shallow. His basic ideas can be boiled down to some very simple points (religion = bad, Islam = mega bad, American founding fathers = good), and most of his bibliography has been his attempt to justify these positions (which are hardly controversial in American discourse) with cherry-picked examples, like "Wahhabist suppression of criticism is proof that Islam must destroyed". I don't pretend to have a much greater knowledge of continental philosophy or geopolitics than Harris does, but I don't run a pseudo-intellectual empire in which I tell hundreds of thousands of people that I'm an expert.

He's also a major asshole. Sam Harris honestly believes that it's acceptable for members of "dangerous groups" to be harassed by those with institutional power and loves to insist that Islamophobia is a valid sentiment to hold. Although Harris identifies as a liberal and holds some very soft progressive ideas like "gay people should be allowed to get married", his philosophy is uncomfortably compatible with Republican foreign policy. And most notoriously, Sam Harris thinks that "it may even be ethical to kill people" who have personal beliefs that clash with his own.

Beyond this, Sam Harris represents the intellectual dishonesty rife in the evangelical "New Atheist" movement in a way not at all unlike Richard Dawkins. He sees Christianity as a wholly evil movement that has "suppressed science" for the entirety of its existence, even though the intellectual contributions of medieval Christianity are very, very well-documented. He's also a major presentist, and as a history major this is one of my biggest beefs with him and his fans. Sam Harris does not realize that his own beliefs and worldview do not represent those of pre-modern and non-Western peoples, and routinely criticizes Christianity for being "implausible" without considering how ideas of faith have changed over the centuries. The faith of a 12th-century farmer in high Catholic theology is not really distinct from the faith of a 21st-century cashier in complex scientific ideas, but Harris refuses to recognize this. His characterization of pre-modern clergymen as mustache-twirling dastards who made an effort to "fool" laypeople is ignorant and childish, but because he's such a widely-read public figure, people all across the internet take his word for objective truth. And actually, fans of Harris represent the blind faith that he claims to despise in his discussions of Christianity. But Sam Harris probably doesn't even recognize this, because in his little worldview religion is the only reason for ignorance in the world.

Much of Gaf hates Sam Harris.

I remember when he was on Bill Maher (who much of Gaf also hates) he was going through great lengths to show that his disdain for Muslims was specifically for the extremists. He laid out a diagram of concentric circles, showing how most Muslims are moderate and non-violent, but in the smaller circles were dangerous extremists who hold certain violent beliefs as truth. Ben Affleck called him an Islamaphobe and much of Gaf cheered!

Valhelm

contribute something
Much of Gaf hates Sam Harris.

I remember when he was on Bill Maher (who much of Gaf also hates) he was going through great lengths to show that his disdain for Muslims was specifically for the extremists. He laid out a diagram of concentric circles, showing how most Muslims are moderate and non-violent, but in the smaller circles were dangerous extremists who hold certain violent beliefs as truth. Ben Affleck called him an Islamaphobe and much of Gaf cheered!

Sam Harris might not think every Muslim is a terrorist, but believes every Muslim should be treated like one.

Sam Harris might not think every Muslim is a terrorist, but believes every Muslim should be treated like one.

People may treat Muslims with unwarranted suspicion but I would argue that is distinct from treating them as "terrorists".

Anyway, overall, he's for profiling at airport security and I'm not. I think the TSA is a farce and a total waste of tax money. I myself was asked to go through the scanners because I had long hair and a long beard at the time, and I felt profiled, and I didn't like it. But if we are to have something such as a TSA that is in place to sniff out potential suicide bombers, it makes sense that they would profile people as they board, it's almost impossible not to.

Also, I would like to articulate that I am not accepting the burden of defending everything Sam Harris has ever said. I was simply pointing out that in my experience, many gaffers will treat any and all things Sam Harris says with abject vitriol.

Chairman Yang

Thanks, I appreciate the effort you've put into your reply.

All that said, these are external bits of information that shouldn't pre-emptively shut down the solid discussion Sam Harris gave in this specific podcast. Heck, Dan Carlin managed to get a decent discussion with Pat Buchanan on an old Common Sense episode. Should Buchanan's generally execrable views immediately make that invalid? I think it shouldn't.

Almost half-way into it, up till the point Harris describes Carlin's position as pacifism, and thus as an extension, immoral. Carlin seems out of his depth on this topic as of right now.

Ty4on

Almost half-way into it, up till the point Harris describes Carlin's position as pacifism, and thus as an extension, immoral. Carlin seems out of his depth on this topic as of right now.
I'm not a big fan of Sam (for reasons outlined above), but that makes me want to listen. I've not listened to a lot of Dan Carlin, but I always disliked his certainty that doing nothing was the right thing.

samn

You can have meditation without 'spirituality'. I think you just got scared off at the mention of the M word without really looking into it.

Maztorre

I'm not a big fan of Sam (for reasons outlined above), but that makes me want to listen. I've not listened to a lot of Dan Carlin, but I always disliked his certainty that doing nothing was the right thing.

I don't know if you just haven't seen all of his shows, but he has advocated intervention in certain situations from time to time, usually when he's commenting on clear humanitarian crises that arise from conflicts.

Sam Harris is a joke. Dan Carlin did a disservice to podcast by associating with this man.

Not liking something, is not an excuse to not try and understand where it comes from and how it got to be there in the first place. Not wanting to associate with what you don't agree with is a terrible and shitty way to go through life. Stunningly so.

I agree with this.
I've not had a large exposure to him. I don't find him particularly relateable, nor do I agree with a lot of his conclusions, but if you try to understand where he is coming from, arguing from the morality of intent, it becomes egregious to paint him in many of the ways people have been painting him).
Yet again it becomes an exercise in taking his flaws, and the areas where he is ignorant or fucked up, and then make a case out of him to seem like a joke that should be ignored.

I really disagree strongly with Sam Harris on many of the things on foreign policy, but I can understand why he think the way he does. At least that is the impression I got of him hearing him on the JRE.

What is wrong with psychedelics? A lot of the studies I have seen shows great promise, and many great scientists have been advocating their use. I say that as someone who is ignorant on a lot of this stuff. I haven't tried DMT or psyilocybin mushrooms, but I am intrigued by it.

From this conservation it seems Sam Harris wants a general move towards secularism and sees fundamentalists of any kind as getting in the way of that. I think there are some moral values we can objectively say are right and some are wrong but I don't know if it's our job to bring the light of civilization so to say. Some of the things he said struck me as sort of a white man's burden. I don't think his comments on Islam in this particular episode were really wrong or anything and his concerns on how a belief in martyrdom/paradise makes for a more difficult enemy seem valid to me. I haven't read any of Harris' other works though so I don't know, nothing came across as blatantly wrong in this conversation.

Amir0x

Banned
Noted. I'll admit that I didn't pay enough attention to Harris' points to make any kind of intelligent critique, because I have a pretty strong aversion to Harris in any capacity. Sam Harris posits himself as a renaissance man, which I think is a laudable goal for personal improvement, but because he has his fingers in so many pies (biology, "New Atheism", history, philosophy, neuroscience, and politics) he hasn't been able to sufficiently study and understand any of those fields except neuroscience, and his contribution to any of them has generally been unoriginal and generally shallow. His basic ideas can be boiled down to some very simple points (religion = bad, Islam = mega bad, American founding fathers = good), and most of his bibliography has been his attempt to justify these positions (which are hardly controversial in American discourse) with cherry-picked examples, like "Wahhabist suppression of criticism is proof that Islam must destroyed". I don't pretend to have a much greater knowledge of continental philosophy or geopolitics than Harris does, but I don't run a pseudo-intellectual empire in which I tell hundreds of thousands of people that I'm an expert.

He's also a major asshole. Sam Harris honestly believes that it's acceptable for members of "dangerous groups" to be harassed by those with institutional power and loves to insist that Islamophobia is a valid sentiment to hold. Although Harris identifies as a liberal and holds some very soft progressive ideas like "gay people should be allowed to get married", his philosophy is uncomfortably compatible with Republican foreign policy. And most notoriously, Sam Harris thinks that "it may even be ethical to kill people" who have personal beliefs that clash with his own.

Beyond this, Sam Harris represents the intellectual dishonesty rife in the evangelical "New Atheist" movement in a way not at all unlike Richard Dawkins. He sees Christianity as a wholly evil movement that has "suppressed science" for the entirety of its existence, even though the intellectual contributions of medieval Christianity are very, very well-documented. He's also a major presentist, and as a history major this is one of my biggest beefs with him and his fans. Sam Harris does not realize that his own beliefs and worldview do not represent those of pre-modern and non-Western peoples, and routinely criticizes Christianity for being "implausible" without considering how ideas of faith have changed over the centuries. The faith of a 12th-century farmer in high Catholic theology is not really distinct from the faith of a 21st-century cashier in complex scientific ideas, but Harris refuses to recognize this. His characterization of pre-modern clergymen as mustache-twirling dastards who made an effort to "fool" laypeople is ignorant and childish, but because he's such a widely-read public figure, people all across the internet take his word for objective truth. And actually, fans of Harris represent the blind faith that he claims to despise in his discussions of Christianity. But Sam Harris probably doesn't even recognize this, because in his little worldview religion is the only reason for ignorance in the world.

If it actually mattered to you his so-called "ignorant and childish" reductions of more complex realities, you would not have done essentially the same thing you accuse Harris of, reducing his points down to comically ridiculous levels and trying to posit it as his thesis (i.e. "religion = bad" comment). Yet Harris has actually spent great time elaborating on his positions, which go far deeper than you suggest here (though never without criticism, since no one is), and is not at all the black and white characterization you try to paint. This suggests the actual reason you dislike Harris is because he has criticized something important to you, and this has clouded your capacity to reason on this score.

Take your reading of Christian contributions. True, Christianity has contributed lots to the realms of architecture, art and even science. But it is also true that the way this happened is because the Vatican's version of faith became essentially the only game in town for many centuries, suppressing any alternative methods of thought. In essence, most of the European advances in science came from this venue during this period because of extreme threats of violence and domination to people who tried to posit alternatives.

What this means is that the "contributions" to science from this corner are actually viewed in a vacuum, because it is undeniable that had Christianity not been involved in brutally suppressing massive amounts of human expression that we would have almost certainly came upon many discoveries far sooner and at a greater rate.

But because there is no way to quantify what was lost by their abhorrent behavior, supporters of what these religions have contributed have a quaint and essentially unassailable way to hold these achievements up as a way of suggesting that they have provided something essential.

Valhelm

contribute something
If it actually mattered to you his so-called "ignorant and childish" reductions of more complex realities, you would not have done essentially the same thing you accuse Harris of, reducing his points down to comically ridiculous levels and trying to posit it as his thesis (i.e. "religion = bad" comment). Yet Harris has actually spent great time elaborating on his positions, which go far deeper than you suggest here (though never without criticism, since no one is), and is not at all the black and white characterization you try to paint. This suggests the actual reason you dislike Harris is because he has criticized something important to you, and this has clouded your capacity to reason on this score.

Take your reading of Christian contributions. True, Christianity has contributed lots to the realms of architecture, art and even science. But it is also true that the way this happened is because the Vatican's version of faith became essentially the only game in town for many centuries, suppressing any alternative methods of thought. In essence, most of the European advances in science came from this venue during this period because of extreme threats of violence and domination to people who tried to posit alternatives.

What this means is that the "contributions" to science from this corner are actually viewed in a vacuum, because it is undeniable that had Christianity not been involved in brutally suppressing massive amounts of human expression that we would have almost certainly came upon many discoveries far sooner and at a greater rate.

But because there is no way to quantify what was lost by their abhorrent behavior, supporters of what these religions have contributed have a quaint and essentially unassailable way to hold these achievements up as a way of suggesting that they have provided something essential.

If it matters, I'm not a religious person. I think that religion generally causes more harm than good in the modern world, and certainly has no place in politics. But Harris' arguments about the role of the Church before the modern era tend to be naive and uninformed.

What you say about Catholicism being "the only game in town" is really accurate, but you can't assume that a world without Christianity would have been somehow more intellectual. I don't really know what the Catholic church did suppress during the Middle Ages, given how interested many churchmen were in accumulating knowledge and studying the natural world.

As for suppression, the Catholic Church throughout the Middle Ages had little interest in suppressing any ideology that was not explicitly theological. There is the obvious example of Galileo, but this was post-medieval, and much more complicated than "science = bad". I am not aware of a single intellectual being limited for a non-theological reason, mostly because the Church was the only entity with enough resources to support the training and patronage of scholars. This hegemony is certainly unethical, but you can't suggest that there would have been just as much intellectual development otherwise. And you certainly can't claim that we would be "more advanced" today, as people like Sam Harris and yourself often do.

If, somehow, the Catholic Church was abolished in 1100, who would be able to promote intellectualism? You need to realize that there were no philosophical academies in the post-Roman era, and that all universities were somewhat ecclesiastical. Lay rulers didn't really have much interest in promoting intellectualism, and those that did (such as Charlemagne) were often mostly concerned with recording their own history and educating their children for political gain. Your suggestion that the Catholic church actually hampered the Whiggish idea of progress is unfounded and intellectually dishonest. Sam Harris' fervent conviction to that misconception is why I believe that Dan Carlin shouldn't have organized this dialogue.

Amir0x

Banned
If it matters, I'm not a religious person. I think that religion generally causes more harm than good in the modern world, and certainly has no place in politics. But Harris' arguments about the role of the Church before the modern era tend to be naive and uninformed.

What you say about Catholicism being "the only game in town" is really accurate, but you can't assume that a world without Christianity would have been somehow more intellectual. I don't really know what the Catholic church did suppress during the Middle Ages, given how interested many churchmen were in accumulating knowledge and studying the natural world.

As for suppression, the Catholic Church throughout the Middle Ages had little interest in suppressing any ideology that was not explicitly theological. There is the obvious example of Galileo, but this was post-medieval, and much more complicated than "science = bad". I am not aware of a single intellectual being limited for a non-theological reason, mostly because the Church was the only entity with enough resources to support the training and patronage of scholars. This hegemony is certainly unethical, but you can't suggest that there would have been just as much intellectual development otherwise. And you certainly can't claim that we would be "more advanced" today, as people like Sam Harris and yourself often do.

If, somehow, the Catholic Church was abolished in 1100, who would be able to promote intellectualism? You need to realize that there were no philosophical academies in the post-Roman era, and that all universities were somewhat ecclesiastical. Lay rulers didn't really have much interest in promoting intellectualism, and those that did (such as Charlemagne) were often mostly concerned with recording their own history and educating their children for political gain. Your suggestion that the Catholic church actually hampered the Whiggish idea of progress is unfounded and intellectually dishonest. Sam Harris' fervent conviction to that misconception is why I believe that Dan Carlin shouldn't have organized this dialogue.

The problem with most of your conjecture is that we have no clue just how "dark" (scholars no longer call it the dark ages for good reason, but for clarity I'll just use the term here) Europe would have remained after the fall of the Roman Empire without Christianity. The history of humanity post agriculture and civilization is one of periods of down development (most famously prior to the Middle Ages was the Late Bronze Age Collapse), but a mostly constant movement forward (the former "dark age" lasting a mere few hundred years). And much of that progress was made without any help from Christian/Catholic values. Indeed, a tremendous amount of progress was made in these past ages. The rate at which great scientific discoveries were made in these ages certainly would appear to be at a greater rate than the period of Catholic domination of Europe, and it is not at all surprising that the greatest period of scientific advancement in human history came with the movement into the Age of Enlightenment and post Enlightenment period, one which was dominated by a movement away from religious explanations for natural order. Indeed, we have made more relevant discoveries in the past three hundred years than every single year previous of human development.

Prior to the modern age, the other great 'scientific' age (gotta be careful with how we're using the word scientific, because prior to the modern scientific method it's always very fuzzy what was actually being done was science) commonly cited was during the Hellenistic civilizations. Again, a period of time where many questioned the role Gods had in their daily lives, and where Catholicism was no where to be seen.

No one ever cites the Middle Ages as a period of great scientific advancement, because relative to other periods it was simply not that.

As I said, there's no actual way to quantify what was lost with the Vatican's cold embrace of Europe. It was grotesque, unethical and absolutely antithetical to free scientific expression. But because it was the only game in town, and because it provided most of the places of higher learning at the time (as well as housed most of the books available)... it was where scientific discoveries were made, whenever there was time for them to be made. We have no real way of quantifying how much better it would have been without them... but based on history, I'd say infinitely.

Two Words

His position is that once a standard of morality is arrived at, the wellbeing of conscious creatures, then we can make objective statements about morality. What is your issue with that?
I recall a particular speech he made at a TED talk where he essentially said "morality is objective because the objective goal is to create the most happiness and the least harm". I find that to be a false premise as far as objectivity goes. And we can't simply nail down some "standard of morality". Imagine if we did that 700 years ago and how out of date they would be today.

Valhelm

contribute something
them to be made. We have no real way of quantifying how much better it would have been without them... but based on history, I'd say infinitely.

This is what I don't understand. You mentioned that my argument isn't more than conjecture, but you're making an absurd claim not supported by anything, really.

The culture of and economic circumstances of classical Greece (at least in certain cities) and, to a lesser degree, the Roman Empire, encouraged intellectual development in ways that wouldn't be possible in Europe until the Renaissance, really. If we imagine a post-Roman Europe in which Europe still practiced its indigenous religions, presumably with a strong Roman/Hellenic influence, we can't expect Roman-style academia to have existed. Post-Roman kingdoms were too loosely-organized to promote that kind of intellectual rigor.

The Catholic Church, as an institutional remnant (or revenant, really) of Roman stability and hegemony allowed for an international exchange of ideas that would not have been possible otherwise.

Amir0x

Banned
This is what I don't understand. You mentioned that my argument isn't more than conjecture, but you're making an absurd claim not supported by anything, really.

The only way we have of formulating a reasonable idea about alternative ways history could have gone is by comparing it to past history. My suspicion is that based on past and present history of other periods of human development, that Christianity was a detriment to scientific advancement compared to what we would have had. My conclusion however is that we'll never know for sure, and that stating therefore that Christianity has done "more good than bad" prior to modern times is at best bullshit and at worst intentionally intellectually dishonest. History simply does not support the notion, and since Christianity was what we ended up with we can't peer into an alternate reality to see if a world absent that influence would have continued the tradition of scientific advancement seen in previous ages in our world.

The culture of and economic circumstances of classical Greece (at least in certain cities) and, to a lesser degree, the Roman Empire, encouraged intellectual development in ways that wouldn't be possible in Europe until the Renaissance, really. If we imagine a post-Roman Europe in which Europe still practiced its indigenous religions, presumably with a strong Roman/Hellenic influence, we can't expect Roman-style academia to have existed. Post-Roman kingdoms were too loosely-organized to promote that kind of intellectual rigor.

The Catholic Church, as an institutional remnant (or revenant, really) of Roman stability and hegemony allowed for an international exchange of ideas that would not have been possible otherwise.

This argument doesn't make sense. Again, we have no idea what would have actually replaced the structure of learning that collapsed when the Roman Empire disintegrated had Christianity not been around. Based on every past period of human development, your idea of what would have happened simply rings false.

Valhelm

contribute something
Look: education is usually only available on a mass scale when an institution has the resources to provide it. Rome had these resources, as did the Catholic church. Eventually, so did the Italian city states and then the nation states of Europe.

Without the Catholic Church, a dis-unified Europe would probably not have been able to provide the same kind of education, and foster the same kind of intellectual development. Some individual cities may have been able to develop their own academies, but because they were largely at the whim of local monarchs, I find this unlikely.

lazygecko

This argument doesn't make sense. Again, we have no idea what would have actually replaced the structure of learning that collapsed when the Roman Empire disintegrated had Christianity not been around. Based on every past period of human development, your idea of what would have happened simply rings false.

Well, if you look at it from the perspective that the church was the last remaining Roman institution after the empire fell, then if it wasn't Christianity I guess it would have been the former Roman state religion assuming the same responsibilities?

Though they didn't really seem to have a zealous agenda to unite all of Europe under the same religious banner the way Christianity did.

How do get that impression? He condemned the Iraq war and was only talking about intervention with regards to genocides.

This is a great example of how his views are completely misrepresented by his critics as he mentions in the podcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom