• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: The Odd Gentlemen used KS money for the Homestuck game to make King's Quest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
This is an on-going story accusing The Odd Gentlemen, currently making King's Quest for Activision, of having taken money from the Kickstarter of this game to make King's Quest.

This rumor started as a rather long tumblr post explaining the situation, which was taken down soon after at the request of What Pumpkin Studio, the current developer of Hiveswap.

In October 2014, through an update on the MS Adventure website, it was announced that The Odd Gentlement was no longer developing the game and that What Pumpkin was taking over as an in-house development. With no real explanation as to why.

The original Kickstarter for the game ended at around 2.4 Million$ and not much progress was made on the game since. This could explain why.

http://mspaintadventures.com/KSupdate.html

Over the last several months, we've been shifting the development operation from the previous studio over to What Pumpkin. We have both agreed it will be the best move to continue production in-house, given the future game development plans for the Homestuck property (more on that further down). So this means exactly what it sounds like. As of this moment, in addition to everything else What Pumpkin does, it is officially now a game dev studio as well. Pretty cool!

http://web.archive.org/web/20150704...ure-that-everyone-has-noticed-by-now-that-the

(Watch out, there's an NSFW art near the bottom of the page. I know that doesn't sound very credible, but you don't choose where the information comes from...)

i’m sure that everyone has noticed by now that the homestuck game is very, very late. boy, do i have a fun reason why!

you may remember that what pumpkin announced that the game studio “the odd gentlemen” was originally attached to develop the game, and you may also remember that they quietly moved to in house development in 2014. what they didn’t tell you: the reason they did this was that odd gentlemen stole kickstarter money and spent it on king’s quest.

i imagine most of us who backed the homestuck game kickstarter are pretty curious about what was going on there. i’ve done some work on the comic and talk to andrew from time to time, so i tried asking about what happened and got some very cagey non-responses. eventually, he tells me he actually can’t tell me anywhere but through kickstarter because of a settlement he signed (already fishy). so, i sent in an inquiry through KS and what i got was a big steaming load of bullshit worse than anything i could have imagined. i’m talking multiple counts of embezzlement and fraud.

according to the timeline in the doc i got, WP gave 788k to TOG in 2012 to develop hiveswap. they then proceeded to do next to nothing, completely blowing off the dev schedule that they agreed to. (the game was supposed to be done by oct 2014. instead, that was when WP ended up having to switch to in house development and start from scratch.) the doc included a detailed rundown of everything TOG actually did. in summary:

“Over 8 months of development, TOG produced exactly one “playable build”. It is a single room, involving one character, no animation, and almost no other key features. Virtually nothing works properly. It was submitted in February of 2014, and no improvements or additional versions were submitted beyond that date.”

a link to it was included in the doc. it’s… probably the worst thing i’ve ever seen in my life?? if you try to click on ANYTHING, joey runs into a bookcase and flies into the air and the demo gets stuck. the only thing that distinguishes it from an out-of-the-box adventure creator demo is its very subpar models and the fact it is unplayably bugged.

at some point TOG apparently just completely gave up working on hiveswap, because they were tapped to develop king’s quest (you can see them admit this in public here at about 1 minute into this video). however, instead of dropping out of developing the game, they decided to just… not tell WP, and proceeded to spend the money they were given on KQ’s development instead.

eventually, after months of platitudes and refusals to communicate (at one point andrew even moved across the country to be able to visit TOG’s offices and get the ball rolling on development, but they wouldn’t even let him come in), WP realized that they’d have to drop TOG, so they terminated the contract in late 2014.

at that stage, TOG said they had 390,000 dollars left of the money WP gave them that they hadn’t spent on “development” or taxes. but, get this – in the 7 months it took them to agree on a settlement for returning the money, they spent 170,000 of it on king’s quest. seriously. like, they didn’t even try to hide it – they straight up spent it after they’d already officially stopped working on the game, and were just like, haha, whoops? pay you back later i guess.

this isn’t acknowledged in a binding settlement like the king’s quest embezzlement is, but i’m pretty sure most of the 190k they claim they spent on hiveswap’s development before they picked up KQ went into neil gaiman’s wayward manor. they picked THAT up at around the time they were supposed to start working on hiveswap, and admitted the workload was conflicting with their ability to devote time to hiveswap. given the egregiously overstated man hours claimed for how little work they actually did, and the fact they admittedly stole the money for another game, i think it’s a pretty obvious conclusion to reach.

it doesn’t look like there was ever a point where TOG wasn’t funneling homestuck’s KS money into another game. it’s unclear whether they EVER actually intended to seriously develop the game. they straight up signed up to steal money from us.

andrew mentioned that this was one of the biggest reasons for the gigapause, and that all the logistics of dealing with TOG’s incompetence meant he couldn’t get much work done on the comic in that time.

why am i posting this? well, king’s quest was developed with stolen money, so it’s probably in your best interest to know this before you buy it. all things considered, it’s a miracle that hiveswap is doing as well as it is – at this point, i think hiveswap has moved past this fiasco and isn’t in any danger of falling through. it’s uh, pretty late, but from what i’ve seen, they’re well on their way to an Actual Game that may be Actually Good despite getting jerked around by a circus of incompetent clowns for 8 months.

at this point, i’m not sure what to DO about this. what pumpkin is bound by the settlement they had to sign if they wanted to get any of the money back at all, so there’s not much that they themselves can do to retrieve the money TOG stole from us. i actually tried messaging sierra, the company that licensed KQ to TOG, but they don’t seem to care that KQ was made with stolen money. maybe activision might want to know. in any case, it’s important that this info get out there so people know what they’re dealing with when buying something from the odd gentlemen.

Another little detail, there's a video interview from Polygon with The Odd Gentlement mentioning "another project" on-going when they were offered to work on King's Quest. "Do you want to do this or King's Quest?" "King's Quest, without a doubt." http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/20/84...quest-is-in-good-hands-with-the-odd-gentlemen Around the 1 minute mark.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Good if true. Much better use of the money.

Seriously, man?

No matter how you feel about Homestuck, stealing money from a Kickstarter to fund another project is pretty damn sick, if this story is true. KS has already enough horror stories as it is.

I mean, I agree but still...

also lol @ that nsfw art, Tumblr ladies and gentlemen.

It's an archive page, so it won't even go away. Can't really do anything about that.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
You guys noticed this 'rumour' is from a random tumblr post that makes no sense right?

Scott667

I hope people don't dismiss this because of their opinions on the webcomic. I've heard people on some forums being happy about this as it meant more funding for Kings Quest, showing no sympathy for the people who raised $2.5million. If these allegations are true, it sounds worse than the Gearbox/Aliens situation a few years back, while it is obviously terrible that they would embezzle Sega's money, I can't fathom how a company could knowingly embezzle money from a Kickstarter.

Its a shame that Andrew Hussie and the What Pumpkin crew likely settled this out of court (only getting a fraction of the lost money) as to not enter a lengthy legal procedure that would have likely costed more of the kickstarter money. However, it is worth stating that they have been moving forward with the rest of the funds to set up a new studio and develop the game internally.

edit: Apparently some people on this forum are showing no signs of sympathy either. Classy stuff :/

Sage00

Once And Future Member
What Pumpkin requested the post be taken down, so either someone tried to start shit or there's some truth in it.
Maybe, just maybe, they asked for it to be taken down because it straight up says they are accusing TOG of embezzlement?

This entire thing has become more fictional than the comic. We have a poster above now who has imagined special out of court settlements as the reason we've never heard of this until now.

Kyou

the timeline of this doesn't make any sense, as they were announced to have taken on the project in June and left in October

Scott667

Maybe, just maybe, they asked for it to be taken down because it straight up says they are accusing TOG of embezzlement?

This entire thing has become more fictional than the comic. We have a poster above now who has imagined special out of court settlements as the reason we've never heard of this until now.

The settlement is mentioned in the original post. While all of this is just allegations at this point, I didn't "imagine" it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
tumblr user starscream's craterous robot pussy tells it like it is

Funny coming from someone with the username Dicks Ahoy.

Truth be told, the name of the page was cut off on my browser and I didn't hover my mouse on it to check.

*sigh*

daveo42

Banned
Sucks if it is indeed true, but at this time it seems like someone pissed that they haven't finished the Homestruck game yet. While Pumpkin has worked on the comic, we don't have anything else to back this up. Plus, coming from a tumblr account with that name doesn't help in giving the post credibility in the slightest. It's like the rantings of someone pissed off their Kickstarter didn't finish in the original timespan.

News flash: rarely do kickstarters actually wrap on time.

Kyou

Timeline doesn't make sense and King's Quest is backed by significant funding, anyway. There's no reason to even bother.

What do we really know about this "Activision", really? Isn't it much more likely that these devs had to embezzle money from a webcomic game for it?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom