• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tommy Lee Jones To Face Off Against Matt Damon in "Bourne 5"

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
pjWKRVp.gif

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I might have to rewatch the trilogy or something, I don't remember it being as praise-worthy as some of you are saying.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I kinda wanted them to continue where the Bourne legacy left off as it just ended when the movie was just about to get going.

But eh I will take more Damon just no shaky camera please, hated that shit.

I might have to rewatch the trilogy or something, I don't remember it being as praise-worthy as some of you are saying.

They're not incredible films, but If you're a Tom Clancy fan, the films cover that espionage itch with a dash of great fight scenes.

When watching 2 and 3 back to back, the formula is very visible. Legacy managed to slight shake up the same formula.

cackhyena

Old white men always tryna put Bourne in a body bag.

Man I don't even remember Edward Norton. Legacy was really forgettable huh?

Putting whatshisbutt as the lead doesn't help. He did okay, but eh. I wish Rachel Weisz was in the new one, though. I don't care how, I just always like her.

Akahige

eh, Lee Jones is ancient, but it would be hilarious if they CGIed his carcass to do some crazy hand to hand combat
Jones was a badass motherfucker with a knife in Hunted, he played the trainer to Benicio del Toro's character who tracked him down to kill him after he went rogue.

I need a scene of Jones and Bourne doing realistic knife fight to the death by a waterfall deep in the woods.

eh that's kind of a boring choice but still i think this film will turn out great. best american spy series easy.

bourne legacy doesn't count....

My Goodness!

Tommy is one of the best sleeper action stars i've ever seen (right after Neeson), go watch Under Siege and The Hunted and you'll see why he'll make a great match for Bourne (they better fight lol).

shaki123

Paul Greengrass directing again? Unwatcheable action sequences confirmed. Why does this guy keep getting hired?

OT: Very happy to see Tommy join the cast. Hope he gets to flex his (acting)muscles.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

They aren't. The first movie is very good, but I have no idea why people praise the other two so highly, especially the putrid second film, which is the worst example of handheld "don't show the audience any of the action" shakycam jumpcut editing I have ever seen. I want to like 2 and 3, but the direction and editing choices make it impossible.

I cannot sanction your shakycam buffoonery, Mr. Bourne.

They aren't. The first movie is very good, but I have no idea why people praise the other two so highly, especially the putrid second film, which is the worst example of handheld "don't show the audience any of the action" shakycam jumpcut editing I have ever seen. I want to like 2 and 3, but the direction and editing choices make it impossible.

I cannot sanction your shakycam buffoonery, Mr. Bourne.

I don't let camera work ruin a film that's already damn good. The plot to supremacy is better than any action/espionage movie since three days to the condor.

Gilroy may have not had his own the searchers, which is considered one of the best movies ever, but the elements are there, and the final scene of atonement is great.

JJ Abrams has shitty camera work in his films, but that didn't stop me from liking his trek or MI films.

the Bourne franchise reinvented the action/espionage genre. EON saw what identity did; and there've been many copycats that took notice of Bourne, and failed.

you guys are nuts. the shaky cam got irritating by the third film but it felt fresh and kinetic when it was introduced in supremacy.

plus that car chase between bourne and karl urban is suspenseful as fuck. good trilogy though i go by

2 > 1 > 3 in rankings. certainly much better than the mission impossible series overall. i think the only american spy series that was better was the jack ryan movies before ben affleck and chris pine took over.

the combat style it sort of debuted to hollywood was awesome as well. i remember marking out when bourne would use a magazine or the spine of a book to put in work on a dude's face.

vato_loco

Currently watching all three Bourne movies. Amazing stuff.

Just a thought, Mr. Greengrass: stop moving the goddamn camera so goddamn much!!!!!

massoluk

Banned
you guys are nuts. the shaky cam got irritating by the third film but it felt fresh and kinetic when it was introduced in supremacy.

plus that car chase between bourne and karl urban is suspenseful as fuck. good trilogy though i go by

2 > 1 > 3 in rankings. certainly much better than the mission impossible series overall. i think the only american spy series that was better was the jack ryan movies before ben affleck and chris pine took over.

the combat style it sort of debuted to hollywood was awesome as well. i remember marking out when bourne would use a magazine or the spine of a book to put in work on a dude's face.

I really remember hating the shaky cam in that series very much because the fight scenes actually looked interesting with some neat choreography, and we didn't get to actually clearly see them because camera is all over the place.

vato_loco

I really remember hating the shaky cam in that series very much because the fight scenes actually looked interesting with some neat choreography, and we didn't get to actually clearly see them because camera is all over the place.
One thousand times this. The fight scene in Turin with Joey Ansah looked cool as balls, but with that shaky cam it was wasted.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
you know I don't dislike Bourne's shaky cam. Scenes can actually be followed and bring a whole load of raw energy. Fuck man him vs the Arab agent was anbolutely bonkers

I love Tommy Lee Jones. If you haven't seen In the Valley of Elah. WHAT. THE. FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKkk. He is soooo good. He is one of those guys along with Christopher Walken and Dustin Hoffman - It doesn't matter that you are always aware that they are them, because they are just so good.

Under Siege is f**king amazing. 1992 was a weird year for film. This is the only truly great Steven Seagal movie.

And this movie holds up. Tommy Lee Jones is like Steven Tyler but on Meth and angry!

So will Jones be the one yelling "we need to find him now!" at computer monitors in a CIA room somewhere?

He's playing a senior CIA Officer. Could mean anything. Generally speaking, CIA Officers seem to be the ones that work out in the field.

I highly doubt Greengrass and Damon would do another Bourne if it meant re-hashing the last two films they did together. Damon has been making a point for YEARS that it's been hard coming up with a plot idea. Even Damon went to Jonothan Nolan and asked him if he could come up with an idea. Nolan couldn't crack it. He said Ultimatum wrapped things up nicely.

But apparently Greengrass and his editor, Christopher Rouse, for over year, figured out a "strong" concept to bring Bourne back.

Either they finally cracked it or Greengrass needs the money to finance his other dream projects.

When do they start filming? Isn't it relatively soon?

September. Film will be shot in Tenerife, Spain, or at least parts of it.

Jones has been sleepwalking though lots of stuff lately, but he's still got it. He was great in Lincoln, and his recent starring/directorial effort in The Homesman was pretty dang solid (albeit unconventional as Westerns go).

homesman-tommy-lee-jones.jpg

Boko21

Neo Member

The first movie is definitely good. The three would be a great trilogy if the 2nd and 3rd movies had been directed by someone competent. Unfortunately, Paul Greengrass is a crazy person who believes "action scene" means "cameraman has a seizure" and the movies he directed don't have a single watchable action scene.

Bourne Legacy should have been the worst of the series, based on everything but director. But simply because Greengrass was not involved, it is the 2nd best.

This is a disappointing announcement, because the series has a lot of potential. Tommy Lee Jones is amazing and Matt Damon can be great too. But Greengrass will most likely make any action scene unwatchable once again, and it'll be another unsatisfying shell of an action movie.

fuzzyset

It may be a "Seinfeld is Unfunny" thing, but IIRC the first Bourne was praised as a fantastic "realistic" action movie. I remember the chase scene being very highly praised. Coming out of the 90s with things like Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies, Bourne was sensible. I think it really popularized shaky cam. Dat Moby song ending too.

MartyStu

The first movie is definitely good. The three would be a great trilogy if the 2nd and 3rd movies had been directed by someone competent. Unfortunately, Paul Greengrass is a crazy person who believes "action scene" means "cameraman has a seizure" and the movies he directed don't have a single watchable action scene.

Bourne Legacy should have been the worst of the series, based on everything but director. But simply because Greengrass was not involved, it is the 2nd best.

This is a disappointing announcement, because the series has a lot of potential. Tommy Lee Jones is amazing and Matt Damon can be great too. But Greengrass will most likely make any action scene unwatchable once again, and it'll be another unsatisfying shell of an action movie.

This is funny because Greengrass is one of the main reasons I like the Bourne movies.

The frantic, improvised and messy fights mesh very well with the 'shakycam' style. One of the few times I actually enjoy it.

He definitely SHOULD dial it down though. The ubiquity of the technique has severely increased audience fatigue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom