• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Golf Club |OT| Golf Sim Bliss

Huggers

Downloaded this over night. Really excited to try it out. Massive golfer that had somehow completely missed the fact that current gen had a golf sim. Expectations fairly low but happy to have something to pass the time until Rorys game comes out

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Downloaded this over night. Really excited to try it out. Massive golfer that had somehow completely missed the fact that current gen had a golf sim. Expectations fairly low but happy to have something to pass the time until Rorys game comes out

Should positively surprise you if you played any other golf game in the past. Have fun!

ElNino

Should positively surprise you if you played any other golf game in the past. Have fun!
You're in for a treat I think, as long as you don't mind some performance issues. I can't imagine Rory's game topping this as a golf sim to be honest.

Nubster

Banned
I finally ended up renting this on xbox one. It isn't horrible by any means but the commentary is absolutely abysmal. I think they just had one of their interns at the studio do it...

I have put about 5 or 6 hours into it and I am glad I didn't pay $40 for it. Now I have to wait until July for Rory.

T-0800

I finally ended up renting this on xbox one. It isn't horrible by any means but the commentary is absolutely abysmal. I think they just had one of their interns at the studio do it...

I have put about 5 or 6 hours into it and I am glad I didn't pay $40 for it. Now I have to wait until July for Rory.

I actually like the commentary. I turned it off at one stage but I ended up missing it and turned it back on.

eznark

Banned
Anyone else buy the new content? I'm having fun playing through the seasons.

Yep, it's a blast. I still spend most of my time playing whatever course the PGA is on that week though. Game is so good. Can't believe how much time I have spent with this game.

ElNino

I actually like the commentary. I turned it off at one stage but I ended up missing it and turned it back on.
Yeah, I like the commentary as it's basically what I say when I'm golfing. Actually, my wife gets a laugh sometimes when my reaction to a shot (usually missing a putt) is almost the same as what commentator says a second later.

I appreciate that as an indie studio, they aren't wasting money on things that aren't as important to the game. And while there are certainly a good number of unusual/poor courses made, the gems are absolutely fantastic. I feel like there are way more courses that deserve to be played than I can possibly have time to get to even.

hunchback

I just started playing. I'm really enjoying this game. It reminds me of Links in difficulty. I'm having difficulty finding good courses for beginners. Does anybody have a list of the good courses to play? I'm on Xbox One, feel free to add me
Username: DblTap

T-0800

I just started playing. I'm really enjoying this game. It reminds me of Links in difficulty. I'm having difficulty finding good courses for beginners. Does anybody have a list of the good courses to play? I'm on Xbox One, feel free to add me
Username: DblTap

Little Brook Manor.

spanna

Little Brook Manor.

Yep Little Brook Manor.

I love The Golf Club its my most played game this gen. TGCtours.com is the main reason for this though. That adds so much to the game.

I love the difficulty and controls and how close it comes to generating the same anguish and joy as real golf.
It is my perfect golf game.

Jarrod38

Rented this game from work last night and boy talk about a big change from Rory to TGC. Shot a 94 on my first course having real no clue what I was doing. Think I get the hang of the game but wish there was a tutorial to help you out.

I turn off commentary on most sports games so that shouldn't be a problem for me when I get the game. Does the game have good ambient noises like wind, crickets, etc.? I remember liking that in Front Page Sports Golf and other golf games, even Hot Shots.

Also, are PC and console versions comparable with performance and stability? I don't have a now gen console and only have a laptop so not sure about my options. I do have it at the top of my Steam wishlist.

Benedict

Just bought this game for PS4 as part of the EU summer sale and won't be able to play this for a couple of weeks.
But looking forward to it
Somebody knows how the DLC situation is on consoles?

I sent a tweet to The Golf Club about it and they say that new themes are available as DLC but I can't see any on either the US or EU PSN store.
Not released yet, even though HB-studios seem to think so?

danowat

Banned
Picked this up on the PS4 summer sale, man, nothing is explained AT ALL!!!!

Anyone got a link to a manual or something?

Also, is the "seasons" DLC worth £8?

T-0800

Picked this up on the PS4 summer sale, man, nothing is explained AT ALL!!!!

Anyone got a link to a manual or something?

Also, is the "seasons" DLC worth £8?

I think the DLC is worth it.

I think the devs have some youtube videos on their site which cover the basics.

danowat

Banned
I think the DLC is worth it.

I think the devs have some youtube videos on their site which cover the basics.

Yeah, I see that, thanks.

Most of it is explained in the vids, but I have just a few questions.

In EA Golf games, when you do the zoom camera, the game gives you an area that the ball may land in, I assume this game doesn't do that, or give you a target pointer?

Without the DLC, there is no AI at all?, so if I play a course that no one else has played before, all I can do is play with myself?.

Does the DLC retrospectively add AI for any other part of the game, or is the AI only present in seasno mode?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Game is on sale for $7.50 on PSN. If you haven't picked it up now is the time to do it. Well worth the 7.50 IMO.

I picked it up today and played a few rounds. I like the realism much more than the EA games. I haven't gotten the 'seasons' DLC but it seems like it would be worth it for all the extra courses. There are a ton of courses I can't play since I don't have the DLC.

Is anyone still playing this?

psn name: WhatRobEats

5taquitos

Picked this up on sale as well, liking what I see so far. Looking to add people for some leaderboard action.

PSN: taq_attaq

LordAmused

Game is amazing fun! How do you guys see user created courses?

Play/Play a round. There are thousands of courses.

Also if you want to join a wonderful community playing weekly tournaments and has a complete ranking system:

Tgctours.com...You Will not regret it.
ÉDIT; Oh and mute the commentary, for your own sanity.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Didn't realize people still played this. I loved the game, but the absolute lack of ANY progression really ruined it for me. I wish they would have added even a really trivial experience/stat/money system.

ElNino

Didn't realize people still played this. I loved the game, but the absolute lack of ANY progression really ruined it for me. I wish they would have added even a really trivial experience/stat/money system.
Join TGCTours.com and it will give you everything you could want from a career point of view.

Shaneus

Ugh, it's only on sale in the US :/ Still $52AUD here.

Think I need to buy me some US PSN credit and use my alt account for some shit. Get some themes, buy this and other random cheap stuff that doesn't need PS+. I just have to make sure I buy the DLC on the US account, yes?

I've probably played over 10 hours since last night! Me and my 5 buddies are in love. The always on ghost system is brilliant.

I ended up spending another $9.99 on the collectors edition upgrade.

Best golf game I've played in a long time.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
New golf courses and enviroments for the course editor.

Might pick it up then. I'd love to play some Hawaiian-esque courses with the theme pack. Going to Hawaii in May and will be golfing while I'm there, so this will be my outlet until then, ha.

E: I'll be playing this more, so anyone on PS4 can add me. nicoga3000

Benedict

Might pick it up then. I'd love to play some Hawaiian-esque courses with the theme pack. Going to Hawaii in May and will be golfing while I'm there, so this will be my outlet until then, ha.

E: I'll be playing this more, so anyone on PS4 can add me. nicoga3000

If you're lucky, you might find some real courses from Hawaii in the game.

I've never played a golf game that felt so much like playing the real thing. I'm really impressed.

I can't stop telling people about it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If you're lucky, you might find some real courses from Hawaii in the game.

Yeah, I played a few that are supposed to be recreations. I also played Purgatory, which is near me. Gonna search for other local courses.

Game has its hooks in me hard right now.

ElNino

I've never played a golf game that felt so much like playing the real thing. I'm really impressed.

I can't stop telling people about it.
Same for me. Despite it's faults (which are mostly technical), it is pretty much my dream golf game.

It's easy enough to hit mostly straight shots, which is what most scratch golfers can do, but if you don't pay enough attention to your course management you can easily pile on the (double) bogeys.

Chris R

Game is on sale for $7.50 on PSN. If you haven't picked it up now is the time to do it. Well worth the 7.50 IMO.

I picked it up today and played a few rounds. I like the realism much more than the EA games. I haven't gotten the 'seasons' DLC but it seems like it would be worth it for all the extra courses. There are a ton of courses I can't play since I don't have the DLC.

Is anyone still playing this?

psn name: WhatRobEats

Hope it's still on sale when I get home from work! I've had it on my Steam Wishlist for quite some time now, was really bummed that it wasn't included in the Thanksgiving/Winter sales.

5taquitos

Every time I'm about to go beast mode, my short game turns into complete shit. Kinda like real life I guess.

Sometimes I have no idea what my putter is going to do.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Every time I'm about to go beast mode, my short game turns into complete shit. Kinda like real life I guess.

Sometimes I have no idea what my putter is going to do.

I make GIR most of the time, but 3+ putting is not uncommon. The way the breaks work ate just so different from real golf and other golf games. Like, if I'm putting at a point where there's a decent break at my lie, I have to aim nearly 1 square over from the hole to even have a chance. I think putting is the one weak spot of this game...

WoolyNinja

Bought this on sale and am shocked by how good it is. Has the game changed a lot since launch? If not I don't understand the mediocre reviews this game received. It's probably the best golf sim I've played in the last 10 years.

ElNino

Bought this on sale and am shocked by how good it is. Has the game changed a lot since launch? If not I don't understand the mediocre reviews this game received. It's probably the best golf sim I've played in the last 10 years.
It received a few patches that addressed some technical issues, but most of the recent patches have been more gameplay tweaks I believe (I don't pay too much attention to the dev diary stuff these days). They have added more "themes" to the game for the designers to use and obviously there are quite a few more courses than there were at launch, many of which are fantastic.

I can understand why the game wouldn't review well, as I can see the average (non-golf playing) gamer not seeing the hook to the game. For those who simply enjoy golf, and don't need to get caught up in stats and player development, this game is a dream IMO. The only thing I might want them add would be the option to change our equipment, but I think they want to keep it the same for everyone... which I can also understand.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Cosmetic unlocks would have been neat. Something that could be unlocked by playing HB official courses or something.

Shaneus

Just wanting to double-check, there isn't any kind of a tutorial, is there? When I first started it up it just put me in the main menu and that was it.

Top Bottom