• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3D platformer renaissance is happening

Coconut

Banned
I just redone loaded Zenith. Man I wish they would bring this back and flesh it out. I wonder if the Multiplayer download I have from ask they for it on Twitter still works?

I just redone loaded Zenith. Man I wish they would bring this back and flesh it out. I wonder if the Multiplayer download I have from ask they for it on Twitter still works?
Unfortunately that's the nature of student games. Occasionally the devs will get together and expand on the concept (Four Sided Fantasy, Distance, etc.)

I recommend getting an Xbox One controller over the 360 option I know it's cheaper but the One controller feels real good.

Yeah I've been super conflicted on which one to buy.... Also it'd be cool to have an extra XBone controller by the time I get one in a few years, but I weighed the pros and ocns and just decided to go with a 360 controller. A lot of my friends still play 360 so it'd be nice to have an extra controller for when we play games since they're always short.

It's hardly a renaissance when only 2 of those titles (Grow Home and Rime) have AAA publisher backing and only 2 of them (Rime and Hover) are coming to the console market.

Also, none of those games look to be of the same quality as the Crash/Jak/Ratchet/Spyro/Banjo/Sly/Mario 'renaissance' of platforming.

Listing a bunch of indies and student projects that just happen to be platformers is fine. But acting like this hasn't been the case for years is naive. There are have been hundreds of quality low-budget, indie platformers between the last renaissance and now. Your personal ignorance to their existence doesn't mean this batch of them is somehow superior or going to resuscitate AAA (read: console-focused) interest (outside of Nintendo) in the genre.

Lijik

What about The Last Tinker: City of Colors
Its one of the most charming games ive ever played with a cool world, fun characters and a great soundtrack. The game part is really bogus though. Its got three main gameplay styles (the auto-platforming, puzzle solving, and beating up dudes) and none of them are great. If a single one of those was better then I think it would be enough to carry the game - i wouldnt mind the autoplatforming at all if the puzzle sections where you lead a mushroom guy around and control his emotions were more frequent and more engaging. If the platforming was engaging i wouldnt mind the bland three hit combo fights etc.

If presentation and charm was all it took to be a good game, then the Last Tinker would be the best platformer of all time. Instead its a reminder that those elements dont really amount to much without strong gameplay to tie it all together

Tell me why I started that cloud temple game and I cant even jump or move up, I just fly around while clipping through all of the environments like i'm in some sort of debug mode.... Is this how the game is supposed to be...? lol

It's hardly a renaissance when only 2 of those titles (Grow Home and Rime) have AAA publisher backing and only 2 of them (Rime and Hover) are coming to the console market.

Also, none of those games look to be of the same quality as the Crash/Jak/Ratchet/Spyro/Banjo/Sly/Mario 'renaissance' of platforming.

Listing a bunch of indies and student projects that just happen to be platformers is fine. But acting like this hasn't been the case for years is naive. There are have been hundreds of quality low-budget, indie platformers between the last renaissance and now. Your personal ignorance to their existence doesn't mean this batch of them is somehow superior or going to resuscitate AAA (read: console-focused) interest (outside of Nintendo) in the genre.

You really do bring the scathe

Ok restarted the game 15 minutes ago and it worked normally.

But i'm stuck on the game already >.< Been at the same part for like 10 minutes trying to figure out what to do

DrNeroCF

Wonder how many of these are built in Unity, haha.

Figured this would happen sooner or later, with Unity basically being for 3d what Flash was for 2d.

And FINALLY a design fad I can get behind!

There are some really good looking ones down the road on PS4 as well.

Rime

ib1yrrHldyCwz0.gif

iboWcK9yC6KAxL.gif

The Witness

iVxzlsNiaZu6O.gif

iEyqSJJZwiXC6.gif

Both of which are Exploration / Puzzle games within fine looking 3D worlds.

Got further into the the Cloud Temple game, it's a neat little puzzle game, but doing nothing for my plaformer fix. Unless a lot of platforming bits come later, then I'm not sure why that's on the list.

Okay well I guess you have to jump on those pillar things, but the focus is on the puzzles. Idk I'd barely call it a platformer.

I think we should start rating some of these on our own because a few of them are stinkers.

You really do bring the scathe

2202ca75470304ff347209073b44cb2c.png

YourMaster

I just did the first 12 or so levels of Chrono Disfunglement, can't say it offers what I'm looking for in a 3D platformer.

In fact, it is more of a mellow puzzle game: You move very slowly with 'relaxing' music, can hardly jump, and have all the time in the world to figure out how to proceed. You may rewind time as often and long as you please so missed jumps don't matter.

I just did the first 12 or so levels of Chrono Disfunglement, can't say it offers what I'm looking for in a 3D platformer.

In fact, it is more of a mellow puzzle game: You move very slowly with 'relaxing' music, can hardly jump, and have all the time in the world to figure out how to proceed. You may rewind time as often and long as you please so missed jumps don't matter.

Welp, another game on this list that has platforming elements but is not really a platformer.

Lijik

Most of the free games are student projects though, i think trying to place the expectations of scratching the itch of a full on platformer is too high. Theyre either going to be really short, or focus more on the puzzle part of "puzzle platformer". You wouldnt play Nabicular Drop expecting a game on the level of Portal.

Alright, bugs and the save system of Inaris: The Cloud Temple is putting me off. I like the atmosphere of the game, it was pretty relaxing. The puzzles were decent. The last straw was this one bug that wouldn't let me go through this door, so when I restarted, it started me like 3 sections back. Ugh. And again, didn't do anything for my platformer fix.
I may try to play it again at another point in time because I did enjoy the time I spent with it.

Incandescence here I come.

Oh, uh, I guess I beat it? xD It was only like a level long. It was really janky and you're kinda just skating around. It's slippery so the platforming that is there isn't really all that good. Still interesting to play through though. There's something about playing free games like these that make me appreciate them a bit more than I would.

If i'm putting it bluntly though, the game flat out sucks. Next is Zineth, I was gonna wait for my 360 controller to come in but eh I need something.

Lijik

Hover is releasing on Steam Early Access on April 6th
Here's the Steam page:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/280180/

oh shit, hype!!
i wound up not having spare cash when the kickstarter was running so itll be great to finally throw my money at these dudes

If i'm putting it bluntly though, the game flat out sucks. Next is Zineth, I was gonna wait for my 360 controller to come in but eh I need something.

Zineth is definitely the best out of the free games on the list. Fragment is also alright at scratching the traditional platformer itch, but its clearly a student project so its rough and fairly short.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Everything is below $20... are we really at a point where no developer can develop a 3D platformer and justify a $60 price tag?
We're at a point where few people will pay sixty dollars for a 3d platformer. Also the people building these games either do not have the capital or willingness to develop a game with the content and production values that is expected for that price tag.

rjc571

Banned
There's a new demo for a 3D platformer on Steam called Rump (which still appears to be early in development). It focuses heavily on skill based, speedrun-oriented platforming while forcing you to collect objects scattered throughout the levels along the way. To say it's a bit rough around the edges would be an understatement, but there's a solid framework for a good, challenging platformer here. I really enjoyed the final level in the demo.

Mubbed

There's a new demo for a 3D platformer on Steam called Rump (which still appears to be early in development). It focuses heavily on skill based, speedrun-oriented platforming while forcing you to collect objects scattered throughout the levels along the way. To say it's a bit rough around the edges would be an understatement, but there's a solid framework for a good, challenging platformer here. I really enjoyed the final level in the demo.
Is there controller support?

Lijik

Was poking around on steam today and came across this pretty cool platformer called Grapple that came out last month. Im not that far into it (level 19 out of 90) but so far its a really cool obstacle course platformer where you swing across things and run up walls. Its pretty barebones in its presentation but the game itself is really fun and made a strong enough early impression for me to want to post about it. Might make a thread about it when im further in

theres a few quirks to it, for some reason despite having controller support and having everything mapped to a 360 pad in a pretty logical manner the game only shows prompts for kb/m controls even in the controls and options menus. Its a little weird having to change mouse sensitivity to adjust the camera speed when im playing with a controller but hey it works in the end,

Dryk

Was poking around on steam today and came across this pretty cool platformer called Grapple that came out last month. Im not that far into it (level 19 out of 90) but so far its a really cool obstacle course platformer where you swing across things and run up walls. Its pretty barebones in its presentation but the game itself is really fun and made a strong enough early impression for me to want to post about it. Might make a thread about it when im further in
I'm suffering from Cloudbuilt withdrawals after finishing it a few days ago so I'm going to have to try this at some point

Played Zineth and was having fun with the traversal, but I started to get frustrated with how it would make you skate all the way back to the beginning of the challenge area to restart "Canyon Run" whenever you failed, so I ended up putting it down for now.

If the game were just timed obstacle challenges, it would be a blast. The traversal itself is really fun.

rjc571

Banned

theres a few quirks to it, for some reason despite having controller support and having everything mapped to a 360 pad in a pretty logical manner the game only shows prompts for kb/m controls even in the controls and options menus. Its a little weird having to change mouse sensitivity to adjust the camera speed when im playing with a controller but hey it works in the end,

I played through this game recently. It was pretty good! The challenges were well designed and made excellent use of the game's physics.Some of the levels required trial and error, but most of them were really good at testing your skills in a fair manner. It took a little bit to get used to the somewhat unorthodox movement system (when you move forward or jump, your blob moves in the direction of the reticule), but once it clicked it actually made total sense due to the fact that you spend a lof of time running up walls and around curved surfaces and such. I just wish there was more visual variety.

Top Bottom