• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition (August 31st, 2015) - Review Events And Boot Camps

LewieP

Kotaku didn't attend the review event; we have yet to run a review; and our audience cares more about our reviews being thorough than early. This isn't some sort of unsolvable problem. Getting rid of review scores would certainly help.

That's good. Is that a standard policy in all instances, or is it a decision that's made on a case by case basis?

I broadly think Kotaku does a pretty good job of reviews. Can't think of any instances where you've given a game a positive review and then the game releases and it turns out the review was unrepresentative of the actual game. The worst offender for something like this of the big sites is probably Polygon, and some of their worst reviews have been conducted at review events, and they've had to edit these reviews after the game has come out and they've already recommended that their readers buy it,

Certainly there is some reviews I disagree with, but that's just opinions, not a result of attending review events or bad review policy.

I guess my point is that you shouldn't really hit publish on a review unless it is a review you are going to stand by, and I can't really see how you can stand by a review with any conviction if you've not played it in real world settings, on your hardware, and with the same online infrastructure that customers will be using.

(Disclosure for anyone else reading this, I did write a little bit for Kotaku UK, but wasn't really privy to their editorial policy outside the scope of my work, and Kotaku UK is largely independent from Kotaku.com).

FStop7

Banned
After putting 20 hours into Phantom Pain over the weekend, all I'm going to say is that there should be some pushback against those perfect scores. It's a good game, but it's got some real issues that in no way should be glossed over in order to give it 10s.

Alavard

Already 4 different copyright claims on the video, from Konami, Activision, and SCEA.

CNvm7puVEAEbT0p.png:large

DJMicLuv

Jim (fucking) Sterling (,son) is more Squid than Kid now. Twisted and evil.
I expect a full transformation into Darth Squidious by the end of the year.
It's painful to watch but it's an enjoyable pain.
As for Konami - fuck 'em.

Kotaku didn't attend the review event; we have yet to run a review; and our audience cares more about our reviews being thorough than early. This isn't some sort of unsolvable problem. Getting rid of review scores would certainly help.

I imagine that the vacuum a massstrike against review events would cause however. Suddenly smaller game sites will jump at the chance to attend an event to have a review up a week earlier than the competition. Given enough time and enough occurrences, its possible that this would upset the traffic of bigger sites and shift their popularity.

I think this is part of the code that outlets have yet to crack - they're so convinced they need to be first, without realizing that maybe their audience actually, y'know, cares what they have to say about the game.

I've run late reviews. I've run early reviews. Back when I tracked traffic, it rarely ever mattered if a review was late or early. In some unique situations it might have, but generally, I could be a week late, even more, and still get great numbers.

So, even if you're not in my unique current position where it doesn't ever matter how much traffic I get anymore, you don't have to break your back for a publisher. If you've created a good publication with an audience that cares about you, then you could post the review a month late and still do great (I speak from experience, having reviewed GTAIV a month after it launched for Dtoid).

If you haven't been able to create such an outlet... then like I said, you've got no justified reason not to tank.

Three of my favourite things in one Jimquisition: Jim + Splatoon, Jim vs. Konami, and Jim 'n Randy Pitchfoooord, sittin' in a tree...

Can the squid hat be a permanent fashion addition? It's too wonderful for words.

Top Bottom