• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Chasers: Nightwar Game Revealed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiraXD

3D isometric like Diablo... with realtime enemies which transition into turnbased fights... im fucking hyped!

Most character portraits and ability pictures are placeholder... but it looks so good!

qVfIA7k.jpg

rdINWAd.jpg

WfKskSj.jpg

WfKskSj.jpg

wDDDuRG.jpg

1fE7FpN.jpg

Sorry for polygon link.. but...

http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/1/9211217/battle-chasers-nightwar-joe-madureira

Every pixel looks like it was born from a comic. This is by design. The JRPG was born there, and the developer is graphing that aesthetic onto an isometric world with a hybrid between 2-D and 3-D assets. The overworld and battle backgrounds are 2-D paintings, for example, but the characters traveling and fighting through them are 3-D. When they're in a dungeon, 3-D characters walk through isometric levels that look, somehow, flat and multidimensional at the same time.

The result isn't incongruous. They look like they belong together, as if someone took a straw, blew air into some a comic page and brought the drawings into another dimension. And that's more or less what happened, minus the magic straw. Everyone in Battle Chasers: Nightwar began as a sketch drawn by a renowned comic artist.

The 25 minutes of Battle Chasers: Nightwar that Airship showed Polygon gave off a constant reminder of the team's ability to blend old and new. Overworlds and dungeons are old concepts, but the roaming bands of monsters and the dungeon's traps are examples of modern sensibilities.

Unlike in old-school JRPGs like Dragon Quest, Airship's encounters aren't random. They put walking monsters on the screen, allowing players to identify upcoming battles or run away and avoid fights. Video game staples like environmental traps — a rotating, bladed stick shuffling across a path in a dungeon floor and an old-school spike trap in the floor, for example — add a layer of challenge to the exploration. Those cut both ways, too: Players should avoid them, but they can also lure enemies to them and soften them up before battle.

And because each of the comic characters already has built-in abilities, different dungeons and enemies will play to different characters' strengths, so assembling a party will be part of the strategy.

The battle screens felt like a warm blanket of nostalgia, split between the players' party lined up vertically on the left side of the screen and the enemies on the right. Turn by turn, Airship selected attacks, balanced its use of depleting resources and planned several steps ahead in the battle, thanks to a system that telegraphed its multiturn moves and those of its enemies.

Battle Chasers: Nightwar is, in every respect, precisely the kind of game that you'd expect a group of old-school JRPG fans to make, and it's easy to see it gaining credibility among genre fans. At the same time, the combat system is also somewhat overwhelming. Airship will need to teach players how to survive within the rule book it creates. It'll need to work extra hard at that if it wants to attract newcomers.

It could be a tough sell to those who haven't been steeped in the genre. Though many comic fans will see the attraction of a side story set in Madureira's Battle Chasers universe, JRPGs aren't for everyone. They can be confusing. Airship knows this and hopes to mitigate some of the challenge with simplified systems based on games it loves.

Kickstarter in 6 days!
http://www.battlechasers.com/

New Wallpaper for me!

6AZ9Ake.jpg

Ashtar

I need this! I'm kind of confused though real time or turn based?
Edit I see battles are turn based which kind of sucks I thought it was going to be like diablo or dark siders

In love with the gauntlet/big fist user already. I'm such a damn sucker for big punchers.

This shot way up on my interest meter.

The End

I did an internship at Marvel in 1997.

One of my fondest memories was Bob Harras (at that point the X-men group editor) screaming at Joe Mad to put down FF7 and finish the pencils for Uncanny X-Men #350, which was already three weeks late at that point.

Tizoc

They should replace the 3d models with 2D celshaded ala Guilty Gear Xrd. The models look nice as is but IMO Xrd style 'sprites' would look soooooooooooooooo much better.

Savitar

I was half right about the Diablo part.

Also I can't see Cal doing measly damage due to being how freaking big he is. He's the war golem btw, aka the big robot character.

I did an internship at Marvel in 1997.

One of my fondest memories was Bob Harras (at that point the X-men group editor) screaming at Joe Mad to put down FF7 and finish the pencils for Uncanny X-Men #350, which was already three weeks late at that point.

This is amazing haha

I don't think I have ever been so hyped for a videogame. I have every and multiple issues of the series from when I was a kid. Joe MAD is one of my favorite artists. I was kind of hoping the combat would be similar to Darksider but this still looks so cool! I will definitely be backing this game.

KiraXD

I don't think I have ever been so hyped for a videogame. I have every and multiple issues of the series from when I was a kid. Joe MAD is one of my favorite artists.

dude... im right there with you...

im reposting this because this is how much of a fanboy i am for Mad!
lcSiB2y.jpg

Warxard

Banned
My hands are shaking. This is the dream game. As a huge BC fan, this makes me salivate. I've never been so excited for a game in my life.

If this is funded and I could actually PLAY this..oh my god, I can't

I think the lack of black outline cel-shading hurts the look of the characters because it loses the excellent line weight that is a very big part of why Joe Mad's stuff looks so good.

That isn't to say that this looks bad, but character models always seem to fall short of really capturing his style.

Tizoc

I know of Battle Chasers infamous release schedule and hiatus.
If you had told someone 5 years ago that Battle Chasers would rebooted/revived, they would've called you a crazy person.

What a world we live in.

This kickstarter can't start soon enough XoX

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
First I though i was looking at a new Bastion images and realize it was Battlechasers, looks incredible and beautiful. Alway loves Joe Mad's design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom