• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer explains the benefit of releasing Xbox games on PC

The only legitimate complaint I have seen is that people bought an Xbox to play exclusives when they already had a capable PC to play on. I still think its a stretch to complain about it. You aren't losing anything. You can sell the Box if you don't want it. This strategy had to be transition. They couldn't do it all at once it would be too much for some people. I love the idea of having my games playable across Xbox and other windows platforms personally.

That's me!

Now that you bought the damn thing, you'd feel better if they never release the titles on PC even if it's all still available on Xbox One? That is such a childish mentality.

I have zero problems with the games coming to PC, i do have problems with those games coming to PC after i had bought the Xbox One. I would not be here complaining and ranting if they had followed this strategy from the start of the gen.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That's me!

Okay, so sell the X-box 720 and buy the titles off Steam/Windows Store???? You're out $350 or however much you paid for the 720, but fuck it.

Or... just... maybe... buy the titles on X-box 720 while ignoring the PC ports?

That's me!

I have zero problems with the games coming to PC, i do have problems with those games coming to PC after i had bought the Xbox One. I would not be here complaining and ranting if they had followed this strategy from the start of the gen.
I get that but you can still wait for the games you want on PC and sell the Xbox One. The truth is that this all wont come to fruition fully for a couple years.

Secretly I think it's because they're hedging their bets and laying the foundations for there not being another Xbox console. It will probably become a software environment/social hub/storefront next gen, much like Steam.

I wouldn't be suprised if next gen xbox was just a streaming box and whole console business evolving into service.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
State of Decay, Ori, Kalimba, Max, Gears UE, Project Spark, Fable Legends, Sea of Thieves, Halo SA, Halo Wars 2. Its a start, right?

Right, I forgot about Spartan Assault because that was formerly Windows Phone. Fable Legends is still a ways off. Project Spark, had some hype. But I haven't heard much about that since it "launched."

Halo Wars 2 was a surprise, but that isn't the Halo title people want. People want the older (read: 1-3, not so much the NEWER "can stay on console" titles, just the previous generation!) Halo titles.

Gears was already on PC before. So them remastering it isn't some earth shattering revelation outside of them selling a PC port again.

The rest I haven't honestly heard of, and that's a bit of a problem if they're "pushing PC ports of X-box titles." Double so when people are expecting their AAA output and not necessarily small indies and some AAA that isn't what people necessarily wanted.

Secretly I think it's because they're hedging their bets and laying the foundations for there not being another Xbox console. It will probably become a software environment/social hub/storefront next gen, much like Steam.
I think its a hybrid. There is no reason to ditch the console crowd. You are just opening things up further and letting people choose how they want to play. Its a good move.

deadman69

Plans take time to come to fruition and the more investment in that seems obvious, he [Phil] has said that the reason a lot of their games aren't day 1 on PC was because they weren't planned that way originally. As someone who has an Xbox One and is waiting for these games i've absolutely no interest in waiting longer than I have to because halfway through development they decided to put them on PC and the team making the game wanted to do it internally which pushed it back.

Of course, they could outsource it (and MS love doing that) and I'm not sure how much work that would require or delays that would be involved but I think they are right to focus on releasing what they originally committed to first then changing their plan as they go forwards.

Gears is coming, Fable, Killer Instinct, Ori, State of Decay, Halo Wars 2, unquestionably they are ramping it up and I think Phil has been pretty straight about that, he's been in the job 18 months and we can definitely see them working towards it although in the short-term he probably had much bigger problems to solve than getting their existing projects working on PC.

i wouldn't say the state of decay on pc is something to really mention as a positive.

I don't understand why they don't have their pc back catalogue up on their store to slowly get more people on there, especially if they have games that are no long available.

i hope so much that they don't restrict access the game directories like they do the other apps on their store.

First of all, their strategy has hardly changed. They have always sold some subset of their first party titles on Windows, while keeping the largest, Halo, Forza, Gears of War off of the platform. Actually, in the past they've released Halo 1 & 2 and the first Gears of War game on Windows. Their strategy of keeping games locked to the console has become tighter since the Xbox 360 days and that strategy has hardly loosened with what we see today.

Second of all, I can understand an annoyance that you would have avoided the purchase but at this point, if the games become available on a platform you prefer, you still ultimately benefit, whether it results in you selling the console or keeping it. You have more options than if they released nothing on PC.

petran79

Banned
So in several words: games sell on PC as well and it's stupid to not get that extra profit.

I as a gamer can't for the life of me understand why some people want some game to be platform exclusive. I wish that all games would come to all platforms, that would be the best option for me as a gamer.
And I would buy them all on PC of course.

They sale well on PC indeed.
It is just that console games are also used to promote console hardware and accessories to a much larger extent than on PC. On PC you can find cheaper hardware accessories.
I am sure Xbox will plan also to push the hardware accessories to the PC market.

Ploid 3.0

The benefit is I don't have to buy an Xbox.

All while supporting the xbox platform by making more games possible. Sweet deal. People that have a xbox only can still play with PC people most likely, so just because less people are buying Xbox doesn't mean it's hurting xbox.

What's the downside other than maybe NPD numbers for console races?

Who is this weird person who thinks Microsoft focuses on PC gaming TOO MUCH with their game releases?

You're putting words in the guys mouth. He doesn't say there's too many Xbox games on PC or they are focusing too much on PC..

..he's asking why a console maker is making PC games at all.
Its strange that you added words and hyperbole to the quote. Very strange.

Kinthalis

Banned
You're putting words in the guys mouth. He doesn't say there's too many Xbox games on PC or they are focusing too much on PC..

..he's asking why a console maker is making PC games at all.
Its strange that you added words and hyperbole to the quote. Very strange.

Uhm... no, he's not talking about he interviewer, he's referencing the response, in which Spencer brings up the following:

“Hey, should Xbox console games go to PC? Why are you guys focusing on Windows?”

supposedly question posed to him by Xbone fan(boys)s.

Also, I'm not sure what's so weird about MICROSOFT (WINDOWS) creating games for (WINDOWS) PC's? Specially since they have been doing so since way before Xbox was a thing.

Right, I forgot about Spartan Assault because that was formerly Windows Phone. Fable Legends is still a ways off. Project Spark, had some hype. But I haven't heard much about that since it "launched."

Halo Wars 2 was a surprise, but that isn't the Halo title people want. People want the older (read: 1-3, not so much the NEWER "can stay on console" titles, just the previous generation!) Halo titles.

Gears was already on PC before. So them remastering it isn't some earth shattering revelation outside of them selling a PC port again.

The rest I haven't honestly heard of, and that's a bit of a problem if they're "pushing PC ports of X-box titles." Double so when people are expecting their AAA output and not necessarily small indies and some AAA that isn't what people necessarily wanted.

I get that it isn't everything but it is a start.

I fully expect more games to be announced for PC and Xbox going forward, although not everything.

Next generation will be a whole new ball game though and I think pretty much everything will get a PC/Xbox combo release.

LilJoka

It makes sense to me, there is a massive user base on PC, they could make all Xbox services available on PC, and if they do do something unique, could charge for that feature (games with gold on PC maybe) to offset subscription cost losses on X1. Plus it means all the PC guys not buying X1 and X1 games are now customers. Console hardware is usually sold at break even or loss too.

If they went PC exclusive they wouldn't even need to do hardware R&D, further reducing costs.

Chobel

Oh, for certain.

I was making fun of two posters in an NPD thread in 2010 who thought that Battlefield 3 would only sell 1 million copies due to going multiplatform, as none of the console gamers would want a game like that, and the entire PC audience would forsake them for this move.

The game sold over 17 million copies.

LOL!

Sesha

We don't have a ton of them here, but Xbox superfans are often not super pleased about their exclusives going to PC.

We've seen this with PlayStation fans when historic PlayStation series show up on PC (you should have seen some of the complaining even on GAF in early Metal Gear PC threads) or with Nintendo going mobile as well.

I wasn't here back in the day, but parts of the internet exploded when say DMC4 and FF13 were announced for Xbox 360.

Lazaro

I don't want to start a conspiracy or anything, but I always found the avatars on the Xbox sign-in process on Windows 10 a little peculiar.

cGlgy0l.png

On the left you have a avatar wearing a costume from Fable 3. Fable is of course coming to Windows 10 as Fable Legends.

In the middle you have a avatar wearing a Minecraft costume. Minecraft is already out for Windows 10.

But on the right side you have a avatar wearing a Halo (specifically Master Chief) costume. This avatar on the right side is what I find peculiar.

Why is there a Master Chief avatar on the sign-in process for Windows 10 when there is no *new mainline Halo game announced for Windows 10. Why would they included Master Chief on the sign-in process if you couldn't play it on Windows 10 like the other avatars on the pic. Why didn't they replace it with a Gears of War themed avatar?

Is Microsoft hinting that the Master Chief Collection or Halo 5 is coming to Windows 10? Microsoft never comments on stuff they're probably working on until it's ready for the public. We'll see. Why else would they include him on the sign-in process?

*Halo Wars 2 is a Windows 10 title that does not feature Master Chief so that doesn't count.

Ok, ill just ask it because ive seen so much negativity on gaf since i joined. Why does so much of gaf have such a disdain for the xbox?

Was it that bad?

Extremely Intrusive DRM, and trying to force a subscription on PC players...

Im a fan of Microsoft and I love the direction they are going but as far as PC DRM goes GFWL was the absolute worse so I can understand why some PC players are extremely leary of Microsoft intentions.

Kinthalis

Banned
If Microsoft had played it's card's right, it could have been THE place for PC gaming, instead of Steam.

They probably would have been able ot make even larger inroads than Steam, thanks to close system integration.

But that would ahve meant giving a shit about PC gaming, and knowing that you had to treat that segment of the gaming market much more differently than the console one.

We don't have a ton of them here, but Xbox superfans are often not super pleased about their exclusives going to PC.

We've seen this with PlayStation fans when historic PlayStation series show up on PC (you should have seen some of the complaining even on GAF in early Metal Gear PC threads) or with Nintendo going mobile as well.

Oh yeah, I get sent to downvote hell whenever I hint at the possibility of something going to PC on xb1 subreddit.

If Microsoft had played it's card's right, it could have been THE place for PC gaming, instead of Steam.

They probably would have been able ot make even larger inroads than Steam, thanks to close system integration.

But that would ahve meant giving a shit about PC gaming, and knowing that you had to treat that segment of the gaming market much more differently than the console one.

Nah, they prefered to not care at all, and then coming back with their new "commitment to PC" after Steam made PC gaming a better place.

Apathy

I don't want to start a conspiracy or anything, but I always found the avatars on the Xbox sign-in process on Windows 10 a little peculiar.

cGlgy0l.png

On the left you have a avatar wearing a costume from Fable 3. Fable is of course coming to Windows 10 as Fable Legends.

In the middle you have a avatar wearing a Minecraft costume. Minecraft is already out for Windows 10.

But on the right side you have a avatar wearing a Halo (specifically Master Chief) costume. This avatar on the right side is what I find peculiar.

Why is there a Master Chief avatar on the sign-in process for Windows 10 when there is no *new mainline Halo game announced for Windows 10. Why would they included Master Chief on the sign-in process if you couldn't play it on Windows 10 like the other avatars on the pic. Why didn't they replace it with a Gears of War themed avatar?

Is Microsoft hinting that the Master Chief Collection or Halo 5 is coming to Windows 10? Microsoft never comments on stuff they're probably working on until it's ready for the public. We'll see. Why else would they include him on the sign-in process?

*Halo Wars 2 is a Windows 10 title that does not feature Master Chief so that doesn't count.

PaODWpW.gif

It's just that Microsoft is associated with master chief, they'll pimp his image whenever they can.

I don't see them not making another Xbox, I think that goes completely against what he said, he wants to open up his possibilities for selling games, not shift them from "console only audience" to "PC only audience", they want both.

You think the Xbox boss would be honest and say "Look, Xbox as console isn't going where we want it to go, so The One is the last console we make. Xbox is going to be branded into PC in the future".

That's not really good business, right? How many would buy a "dead" console, the last in line?

Of course they're saying things that are somewhat relevant but mostly cryptic. They have their plans, whatever they are, but PR is PR. They need to sell Xbone today, at the moment and until the end of the generation.

All we can do now is to speculate. Time will eventually tell.

That's not entirely true... they can't charge you a subscription fee on PC.

But they can try to sidestep it with games and deals. Sony did it last gen. Granted, Xbox live costs probably offset those of sony network, but they should definitely expand the GWG to games from the windows store and win phone store too.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I welcome this change simply because I won't have to buy an Xbox One to play some of these games.

Rizific

The benefit for me is that I don't have to buy an extra console. :)

samesies. if it was guaranteed that ALL xbox exclusives would be on PC, no way in hell id subject myself to the constraints of a console. but of course that wont ever happen, so i have to buy the consoles.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What games besides Ryse and Dead Rising 3 have came from the system?

Oh, right. Killer Instinct, but that's still a ways off and that's only three of... what... 12? 24? 32? "first-party"/exclusives?

I'm still waiting for Phantom Dust PC. I'm still waiting for Halo Master Chief Collection (since those are at least 1-2 generations ago in that collection), Gears 2-3 PC...

"Benefit"s don't matter if they only move the needle by a millimeter.

I thought his answer was pretty clear. Their concern is firstmost with games that might not make a profit (or at least not a significant one) only on Xbox One, and beyond that, they will make decisions from there.

Head.spawn

cGlgy0l.png

Well, I think you found the answer within your first sentence of your post.

It's an Xbox app, that you use to control your Xbox console and to play your Xbox games, chat with your XBL friends, see your Xbox achievements and gameplay clips. It's a peculiar angle to even think it means a mainline Halo is coming to PC or that it's supposed to be a hint.

deadman69

They hate Xbox because they fucked up a few games on PC?

Seems unlikely, isn't it just a console war that's going on?

its more that they dislike and don't trust microsoft getting involved in pc gaming (outside of being the OS) after GFWL, yes it fucked up many games and lost many save files but they never seemed to try and fix those issues, many of which are still a pain.

All while supporting the xbox platform by making more games possible. Sweet deal. People that have a xbox only can still play with PC people most likely, so just because less people are buying Xbox doesn't mean it's hurting xbox.

What's the downside other than maybe NPD numbers for console races?

There isn't one.

derExperte

its more that they dislike and don't trust microsoft getting involved in pc gaming (outside of being the OS) after GFWL, yes it fucked up many games and lost many save files but they never seemed to try and fix those issues, many of which are still a pain.

MS also killed a bunch of PC-focused developers they owned and buried beloved IPs after shifting their focus towards the Xbox.

I think to further spencers points he probably looks at each project and profitbality. If he can keep games soley on xbox it probably is the preferred method but if they need to open the market to PC players to ensure a project is going to be profitable or to keep/ensure that there is a good sized player base he will.

Take halo wars 2 as an example... that's not exactly a game that will set the charts on fire and it's probably a considerable investment so maybe in order for a game like that to be funded it probably needed to tap into the PC market.

This could work for titles that have been announced as xbox exclusives in the future. Take a game like Recore for example... it's a new potentially risky IP coming out only on XB1... if it falls flat on the XB1 audience they can open it up to PC players to recoup or earn some additional revenue.

In terms of games like fable and killer instinct these are moves to keep the community healthy.

Fitts

I adored the games that were exclusive to the OG Xbox. Ballsy stuff like Steel Battalion and Crimson Skies along with best-of-genre stuff like Halo 2 made me a big fan. Then I purchased a 360 on launch day and sold it a few years later. There just wasn't anything terribly exciting in the way of exclusives and I was liking what the PS3 had to offer a lot more. I didn't regret the decision one bit as there isn't one exclusive that was released in the life of the console that I care to play.

When the next round of consoles arrived, the XB1 seemed to offer more of the same save for one title that piqued my interest: Killer Instinct. Still, it's hard to justify purchasing a system for one game when absolutely no other exclusives appeal to you and you already own a PS4/PC. Clearly Microsoft wasn't going to get my money.

That changes with the announcement of a Killer Instinct PC port. Previously, there was next to no chance of them making money from me. Now, they will despite me not falling into whatever demographic they're targeting with the Xbox brand. I'm happy and they're happy, so as far as I'm concerned bringing these games to another platform was a good move for all involved.

You think the Xbox boss would be honest and say "Look, Xbox as console isn't going where we want it to go, so The One is the last console we make. Xbox is going to be branded into PC in the future".

That's not really good business, right? How many would buy a "dead" console, the last in line?

Of course they're saying things that are somewhat relevant but mostly cryptic. They have their plans, whatever they are, but PR is PR. They need to sell Xbone today, at the moment and until the end of the generation.

All we can do now is to speculate. Time will eventually tell.

So am I not allowed to speculate and include what he said in that or something?

No I don't think he would say the console business isn't going where they want it to public but then I don't think their plan is to completely kill it either

Top Bottom