• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

So no BTB (we get warzone instead) and no vehicular CTF right? Those are my favorite modes, Warzone better be tight.... And hopefully they'll be able to make CTF out of Warzone maps.

Akai__

Whoa really? That's awesome.

Yup(bottom right):

clipboard1069usi.jpg
So no BTB (we get warzone instead) and no vehicular CTF right? Those are my favorite modes, Warzone better be tight.... And hopefully they'll be able to make CTF out of Warzone maps.

Not at launch, but those modes are comming.

That's not why he hated the maps, he hated the maps because they are basically one small square and it doesn't have the feel of Halo. He explains very well how he loved the maps that had two bases on each end basically giving you a purpose to get to those ends in order to battle it out and you would know along the way where there were certain choke points. The maps had a sense of direction and these do .

I see what the guy means, but he is then ignoring all maps from previous games that don't have an obvious two base set up, and ignores the H5 maps that do. Objective modes change a map a lot, too.

BTB is coming, sometime...

singhr1

I enjoyed them, never said they were memorable. I liked playing on Zanzibar with vehicles. CTF or Assault on that map 4v4 was awesome.

Sure, but that map is better played with 5v5 and the vehicles in that map would get destroyed nearly immediately with the homing rockets. Most of the time they were non-factors. Most often either nobody grabs a vehicle or the vehicle is destroyed instantly.

Bungie experimented with vehicles in 4v4 in H2 and H3 and since they really didn't work, none of the proceeding games had them.

Trup1aya

That's not why he hated the maps, he hated the maps because they are basically one small square and it doesn't have the feel of Halo. He explains very well how he loved the maps that had two bases on each end basically giving you a purpose to get to those ends in order to battle it out and you would know along the way where there were certain choke points. The maps had a sense of direction and these do not.

I enjoyed them, never said they were memorable. I liked playing on Zanzibar with vehicles. CTF or Assault on that map 4v4 was awesome.

Eww... That video pretty much disgusted me... I kept hearing crap like '4v4 isn't halo'... "And I never thought of halo as a real tactical shooter, I just wanna try and get a cool vehicle and not really care if i die"

Seriously wtf?

I get that halo is different things to different people, but It has never be ABOUT just bullshiting your way around massive maps... The most icon maps in Halo 2 slayer were Lockout, Midship, and Ivory Tower...

Then they go on to pronounce their love for Halo:CE maps that were also small or didn't have vehicles like Beaver Creek

That said, the real tragedy here, and they didn't articulate it well, is that there aren't any vehicle equipped midsized maps. Where's Zanzibar? Ascension? Turf?

We know BTB is coming, but it does seem like a mistake not to have it at launch... But the big mistake IMO is the lack of 4v4 maps with vehicles... That's PART of what made halo2 so great IMO.

xboxnerd

Banned
Then they go on to pronounce their love for Halo:CE maps that were also small or didn't have vehicles like Beaver Creek

One guy even yelled "I loved Hang'em High!!!"
That's one of the most chaotic maps which grenades always come from no where, and there certainly aren't teo bases presented.
Strange video with three guys even weren't participating the preview games.

But yes, I would like to have some vehicular 4v4 maps. With so much mobility added, it will be a fun time facing the vehicle on foot.

Also, again, they didn't say 4 playlists at launch.
This is a really terrible time to be banned, Frankie. We need some clarification here.

OEM

Guys stupid question,

but Arena is 4 vs 4 ONLY?

so there is only 4 vs 4 arena and 12 vs 12 in warzone? that's it?

I'm glad they've consolidated the playlists.

Any niche gametypes like Grifball or Infection etc should be weekend playlists only, IMO.

Still seems useless to me. Does it drain your shield all the way down?

You can block paths with it. Because if you DO go into the field of the grenade, you will disintegrate.

xboxnerd

Banned
Ahh I see. But we will still have things like Infection, SWAT etc. Right? There really should be 5 vs 5 or 6 vs 6 gametypes.

Not clear for now. I expected to see these information today, but was disappointed,
Hope they are still in.

Watch the IGN video. It can actually kill people now, and it leaves some small mines after explosion. Seem useful to me.

MacBosse

Warzone looks superfun, it looks like the perfect mix between tactical and chaos for a player like me. Breakout looks like a ton of fun to but way faster, I will try it out but age is really getting the best of me with that kind of game mode, lost my speed damnit.

Kinda bummed the Breakout maps still have BRs on 'em. Should really be pistol-only, maybe with an SMG or something as an on-map pickup. Still, the amount of cover on Amplitude should go a ways towards offsetting the dominance... maybe.

In other news, Plaza continues to look great in screens. Have we got any gameplay of that one yet?

Not if the launch maps are not built for that player count.

I feel like you could maybe fit 10-12 people on some of those maps. Truth and Regret come to mind. Empire and Eden would be clusterfucks, though.

Trup1aya

Ahh I see. But we will still have things like Infection, SWAT etc. Right? There really should be 5 vs 5 or 6 vs 6 gametypes.

There's no reason SWAT, couldnt be part of the slayer playlist... Like in other games. But it really does seem like Breakout is meant to scratch that itch...

I don't really share your desire for 5v5 and 6v6... Seem like the maps were designed around the idea of 4v4.

The Rig looks a lot like that Halo 4 MP map, forgot the name though.

I noticed that the AA is a whole lot better than the beta. I remember how there was plenty of nasty jaggied in these maps.

Have they announced yet how many MP maps there will be at launch and if they are all playable in say...Team Slayer? That's the mode i probably will spend most time in again.

I really liked Breakout a lot from the beta and its a nice switch from Slayer. Is there only going to be 3 maps for breakout though? Or will we be able to play regular maps as well in it?

Seems like it. It's all about balancing gunplay in these i don't think they want vehicles.

Yeah, it makes it even more intense. Also we'll have a general idea of where the enemy team is centered.

What about big team battle though? If that doesn't have vehicles it'll suck.

Trup1aya

Loving the new aesthetic to the Breakout maps, I still can't decide if I'd prefer the mode have full shields though. The flag in the middle is a great touch, after the beta I remember hoping they'd add a second way of winning, but with the shields as they are I'm guessing a flag win will be pretty rare?

The flag prevents "the last man standing" from hiding until time runs out to create a tie... Which could actually put the other team at a disadvantage trying to hunt him down...

So yeah I bet flag wins will be rare, but it's something teams will always have to consider...

I thought it was pretty funny seeing teams going for the flag score, and getting killed by the last man standing, so it has the potential to add a hilarious dynamic...

So let me get this straight, it's either 4v4 with no vehicles or the Blacklight: Retribution mode with added AI enemies?

People are cool with this?

Repeat what was said a million times: traditional BTB (Yes the one you are asking, 8v8 big maps with vehicles) is coming shortly after launch.
343 already working on Halo 6

http://www.gamesradar.com/343-has-s...s-going-happen-ten-years-now/?tag=grsocial-20

I guess that's no surprise, but damn. Sometimes i wish they would put these guys on different projects too, new IP.
Do you know why the studio is called "343 Industries"?

So let me get this straight, it's either 4v4 with no vehicles or the Blacklight: Retribution mode with added AI enemies?

Arena (4v4) and Warzone (12v12) at launch with BTB being added within the month of release (I think?) and then whatever the Forge masters can come up with.

i-m-cool-with-that.png

The Warzone system doesn't look to be anywhere as tedious as Blacklight: Retribution. I actually do like that game though. And the best arena maps in the past didn't have vehicles. Vehicles just take away from competitive balance, I'm glad they're gone.

Top Bottom