• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Maker MV coming out October 23rd, Trailer, Browser Demo, & Pre-Order Live

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
12079548_913529448682388_627776605976560459_n.jpg

Thought this was worth its own thread.

The newest version of RPG Maker, MV, is now available for pre-order. It costs $80 USD, has a 10% pre-order discount to make it $71.99 USD.

If you prefer to pre-order it on Steam (though the main site will give you a Steam code too, and a Steamless version).

They've announced on their Facebook page that the new version of RPG Maker is coming much sooner than expected, releasing on October 23rd, and this is backed-up by their Steam page.

With all of this news, there's also a new official trailer.

In the pre-order link as well, there's an implanted demo in the browser showing one of RPG Maker MV's new features, allowing games to be exported to HTML5. MV also is the first RPG Maker with multi-platform support, supporting not only Windows, but also Mac and Mobile platforms. It also has no resolution restrictions, meaning if you wanted too and manipulate coding some, you could make you HD RPG Maker games. Coding has been changed to JavaScript, and they've reportingly from some early users done a lot to remove restrictions to allow you to easily modify things, including with some simple scripting you can make over 100 layers to map on. Lot of other new features, but the pre-order page covers most of the rest of the big ones. There will be a VX Ace to MV converter released at the same time, it will carry over most projects, except for custom scripts, as MV uses a completely different scripting language than VX Ace does.

Pre-ordering from the main site nets you a Steam and Steamless version of the game as well as some extra script and resource goodies, the first version of RPG Maker they're releasing simultaneously it seems.

RPG Maker has always been a tool that's simple to approach, but has created some wonderful games from creative people putting effort to make such classics as Yume Nikki, To The Moon, Ib, and more. Be interesting to see how MV does, since the program has seen some pretty big growth in the last three years and this will be the first new version of it releasing since the growth of popularity, and the first version releasing simultaneously outside of Japan, it seems.

good call in making new thread... i already forgot about this haha
honestly kinda surprised it's coming in october, was expecting somewhere in late november instead

udivision

Forgot about this...
Saw the "new" RTP again and felt disappointed.

HTML5 support is a game changer though, but I'll probably wait a bit before jumping in on this.

Can I buy this blind with no coding knowledge beyond basic HTML code to make shitty websites and go on to create a masterful RPG that will shape the views of the youth for years to come?

Dusk Golem

How is it differently, exactly? Having a hard time.

The main big differences is MV supports more than just Windows now, all previous RPG Makers were Windows only, while MV supports Windows, Mac, Mobile, and HTML5. It also uses a completely different scripting language, it was previously Ruby Language in VX Ace, now been changed to JavaScript. Because of the scripting change, and them opening up the platform, the max resolution is now no longer restricted to 640x480, it can now make games in HD resolutions (or any resolution you like), and through scripting you also can have basically infinite-layer maps (confirmed from an early tester you can do over a hundred layers for mapping with some simply scripting). There's a number of other changes, but those are the main big ones.

Can I buy this blind with no coding knowledge beyond basic HTML code to make shitty websites and go on to create a masterful RPG that will shape the views of the youth for years to come?

If you're creative, RPG Maker has always been a tool that's simple to use, but more complex things for users who want to do some more advanced things, but relies more on the creativity of the user to make a good game out of it. Though good games have actually come out of RPG Maker, which has earned the engine some praise since it's a great engine for artist/storytellers and the like who want to make a game, but don't have much knowledge in programming and the like.

JC Sera

yes
like you'll have to look up a little bit of documentation
but you can make an RPG

ZeroX03

Banned
Huge!

Don't forget asynchronous loading (loading maps one at a time instead of one big download) for browser streamed games too.

Dusk Golem

I'll say for me this couldn't come at a better time, I have a bit spare cash this month and me and an artist were just finishing conceptualization on am RPG Maker project after the success of Close Your Eyes releasing on Steam, will take MV out for a stroll to see if it works well and try making the project on it.

TheJoRu

Yes, but if you want to make something masterful you'll probably end up using it in a quite technical, advanced way anyway, since you'll have to spend a lot of time with it to make your masterpiece.

belushy

Banned
Cool now I can play Pokemon fan games on my phone. I wanted this for so long.

Now I have to wait for any good ones to come out, though.

Sou Da

Cool now I can play Pokemon fan games on my phone. I wanted this for so long.

Now I have to wait for any good ones to come out, though.

The only Pokemon fan games using RPG Maker are the ones based off of Pokemon Essentials. I know the caretaker for that game kit and trust me, it ain't getting ported to RPGMV.

Dusk Golem

The only Pokemon fan games using RPG Maker are the ones based off of Pokemon Essentials. I know the caretaker for that game kit and trust me, it ain't getting ported to RPGMV.

Oh, there's others. Or I assume there's others, because I've played a few Pokemon horror fangames made in RPG Maker, at least. XD;

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm planning on using this to make my first commercially available game. It's the javascript scripting engine that finally pushed me into doing it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How is it differently, exactly? Having a hard time.

Works on Mac. Works on Mobile for the finished product.

Basically it's a "game changer" if you plan to develop on a Mac and/or release a mobile application.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Working on OS X is great since it will mean no more switching OSs, but I've never been a fan of the VX style. 200/3 and XP were better in that regard. Will wait and see. Honestly, I still like 2000's simplicity.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Interesting. Have you used RPG Maker before or are you just that familiar with javascript?

I've used RPG Maker before - I had a blast with VX Ace but never did anything commercial with it. And although I could muddle through the Ruby back-end code okay, I always wished it used something I was more familiar with.

As for Javascript - I'm intimately familiar with it and have been writing code in it professionally and as a hobby for nearly 20 years.
(Plug for Enhanced Steam goes here.)

I remember using 2k and 2003 when I was younger, but I kinda dropped after XP.

I might try to come back to it. RPG Maker is fun to use for small "game jams" with friends and stuff. GAF tends to have some of those with RPG Maker, right?

Working on OS X is great since it will mean no more switching OSs, but I've never been a fan of the VX style. 200/3 and XP were better in that regard. Will wait and see. Honestly, I still like 2000's simplicity.

2k is still the best =X

Damn I want it but it's not cheap :( ~64.50€ and almost sure I won't have much time to invest in it...though I really want it :p
Guess I have a little bit less than a month to ponder about buying it or not.

IceIpor

Well, word of warning to those who go through the official site.

The page to enter in your CC info IS the confirmation page, so don't enter in your CC unless you're ready to place your order.

Now I'm out $80.

Sölf

Since the RTP doesn't really change and still has the same style as the VX and Ace I will probably skip this and just buy it in a steam sale in a few months when it's down to like 10-20$.

Do we actually have a RPG-Maker Community or something here?

HolyJonte

Have bought both vx and vx ace on release date and now this I pre-ordered! Already planned my first game in years, for some weeks now... Mv looks so awesome!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sölf;180386340 said:
Since the RTP doesn't really change and still has the same style as the VX and Ace I will probably skip this and just buy it in a steam sale in a few months when it's down to like 10-20$.

Do we actually have a RPG-Maker Community or something here?

There was a competition thread when the RPGM humble bundle was on but that's it as far as I'm aware.

Who does the art on that? I know *something* recent is done by that person but its like alot of recent JRPG art but with a good amount of *soul* that alot of those lack, pulling it out of the generime mire.

ZiZ

I think using Javascript is probably the biggest draw for me.

Now if only I had some free time.

bomblord1

Banned
As a web developer javascript is the biggest thing here. That's my bread and butter. I wonder if I can import JQuery....

Android/IOS/Web Browser porting the second. I'm really going to dig deep and try to finish something this time. I'll probably be using the default assets as sadly art is just too far beyond me.

I remember a while back GAF had an RPG maker game making contest you should do it again when this comes out.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I've wanted to get back into RPG Maker for so long now.

I'll probably buy this and never even open it. :'c

Lynx_7

I have lots of fond memories of my time with RPG Maker 2k and 2k3. Only ever finished 1 project and it was basically crap since I was like 12 lol.Could never get into XP, VX and VX Ace unfortunately, all for different reasons. Ace was the closest I got to adapting, but the lack of resources online just killed my motivation. 2k and 2k3 on the other hand have a lot of chipsets, charsets and etc, but have such poor resolution for today's computers. I really wish they just released an updated version of those.

I'm still going to try this one out, just for fun (not at that price though). I hope they keep the faceset/charset maker of VX Ace.

Top Bottom