• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Siege Technical Analysis And Frame Rate Test - Digital Foundry

[EDIT] Full Face-Off coming tomorrow; a lot of things have been improved.

YES they do. Full Face-off going up tomorrow. I managed to figure exactly how the consoles match up against the PC settings this time as well.

It's a neat feature for sure and I'd like to see it used elsewhere. From normal viewing distance on a TV, the image quality is very clean.

There is no trilinear filtering in the game. That was the beta. It is fixed in the final game.

d486dcd494bec5c2c5fd7d3695ea4c60.png

Frame Rate Comparison And Technical Analysis

Rainbow Six Siege PS4/Xbox One Tech Analysis/Frame-Rate Test [Work In Progress]

Read The Full Article For More Info

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-rainbow-six-siege

...but to summarise:

"In terms of the console betas, the PS4 game arrives with a native 1080p resolution, while Xbox One is pared back to 900p. As such, PS4 gains a clearer image due to the lack of upscaling, though the Microsoft platforms appears pretty similar in lower contrast scenes, due to the effectiveness of the anti-aliasing solution. Edge-smoothing is provided by a post-process algorithm in addition to a temporal sampling component that results in fairly clean quality, but this this does come with a few trade-offs: some blurring is present in motion, while the game takes on a slightly soft look in still scenes. On PC, we opt for 1080p resolution in combination with TAA and temporal filtering for anti-aliasing duties - the game's maximum preset for image quality. This delivers clean looking visuals similar to the PS4 game, but with less softness in still scenes, though temporal blurring is still noticeable in motion

The use of trilinear filtering leads to blurrier ground textures on PS4 (Xbox One uses something akin to 4x anisotropic filtering), while LOD streaming varies on both systems with neither gaining a permanent advantage. Some scenes feature shadows streaming in more slowly on PS4, while normal map and texture details are resolved to a higher degree. PC owners get higher resolution foliage and shadows, further draw distances, and improved texture filtering via the use of 16x AF, but otherwise the core assets and effects work - such as smoke and particles - remain the same as on consoles.

One major benefit to this is that both standard multiplayer and Terrorist Hunt modes operate at 60fps, whereas the latter is capped to 30fps on the PS4 and Xbox One. This lends the PC version a greater level of consistency across the different modes, and sees fast, low latency controls preserved across the whole Rainbow Six experience.

And yes, you read that correctly - Rainbow Six: Siege targets two different performance profiles on console, with the standard multiplayer mode operating at 60fps, while the Terrorist Hunt game is capped at 30fps. Both modes share the same maps, and graphical quality is also identical with no changes to levels of detail and the effects-work used - the baseline visuals are still budgeted around hitting 60fps, and yet, there's a big performance downgrade here. According to Ubisoft, Terrorist Hunt operates at a lower frame-rate due to this mode featuring advanced AI - far from acting like mindless drones, on higher difficulty settings, your opponents take time to put up barricades, place barbed wire around possible entry points, and set-up charges to destroy the environment to their advantage, in addition to shooting down players from behind boarded up windows or wooden doors

For the most part, Terrorist Hunt manages to run solidly at 30fps across both consoles during gameplay, with performance mostly impacted during the kill cam scenes where control is taken away from the player. At one point we encounter a substantial drop down to 18fps in the Xbox One game, though moments like these tend to be rare and not representative of the usual experience. That said, after playing the main multiplayer mode at 60fps, the drop down to 30fps is readily felt: the reduction in controller response and smoothness is substantial and the experience feels far less fluid and enjoyable to play as a result. After a few matches, it's possible to adjust to the change in motion and the appearance of heavier controls, though the shooting never feels quite as satisfying compared to the regular multiplayer games at double the frame-rate.

In comparison, the standard multi-player PvP mode offers up more refined shooting action: it's here where twitch-based action gels nicely with the game's focus in tactical combat. Fire-fights and explosive encounters sees the game loose it's initially solid 60fps update, with regular excursions between 50-60fps in these moments, and lows hitting around the mid-40s when the engine is more heavily stressed
. The use of adaptive v-sync leads to some tearing when frame-rates are impacted, but this often helps to keep controller response at a consistent level despite brief periods where judder is visible in screen. Ubisoft's implementation is mostly successful in keep controller feedback feeling consistent, although there are moments where dramatic variances in frame-times have a short, but tangible effect on precision during shootouts"

TL:DR

• PS4 runs a native 1080p display, with the Xbox One outputting a 900p resolution.
  • The game targets 60fps, however, the 'Terrorist Hunt' mode is locked to 30fps.
  • Image quality leaves a bit to be desired, particularly as the AA solution is a bit blurry.
  • PS4 once again has poor texture filtering which is set to a tri-linear filter, whereas the Xbox One is running at 4x AF.
  • Game runs Ubisoft's custom in-house ambient occlusion solution, SSBC.

Screenshots Comparing The Graphics

965aee95b749de92e9608940986420cc.png

e99dfc4a5cd8251f842a439b14509359.png

aa3b34a2ae157ce4dcd3a6ce3da4b833.png

8c3ffed33f27b9e619f50d32c9113bdd.png

ffca111076a40685ae58994b8c6e3aa3.png

e2ca148f10093200b453414fc11241de.png

db56c3e10a24402e5e108ede6ccb001c.png

Personal Thoughts

Again, it shouldn't come as any surprise that the PS4 version uses trilinear filtering and Xbox One uses 4x AF. I honestly don't understand why devs undervalue this so much. It's so important to IQ, and I can easily notice it straight away in how muddy textures are when the AF implementation is poor (and this is coming from someone who isn't normally sensitive to these issues or that picky - I mean I've never noticed screen tearing in any PS3/360 or PS4 game I've ever played).

I mean Destiny is another example of this; the game is beautiful and all, but it's poor AF (and shoddy AA implementation) leave a lot to be desired in the IQ department.

And it has little to no performance cost as well! I mean look at the DmC definitive edition pre and post patch; an increase in AF quality had no performance cost whatsoever. It still boggles my mind this go unnoticed or unsolved
just like Bloodborne's frame pacing issues, From Software pls

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Definitely echoing the sentiment in the OP, really glad that FPS are moving more and more toward 60. C'mon Bungie, let the last major one fall into place.

Hoje0308

Banned
Also, no surprise that..the PS4 version uses trilinear filtering and Xbox One uses 4x AF. I honestly don't understand why devs undervalue it so much. It's so important to IQ, and I notice how muddy textures are when the AF implementation is poor. I mean Destiny is another example of this; the game is beautiful and all, but it's poor AF (and shoddy AA implementation) leave a lot to be desired in the IQ department.

And it has little to no performance cost as well! I mean look at the DmC definitive edition pre and post patch; an increase in AF quality had no performance cost whatsoever. It sti;l boggles my mind this go unnoticed or unsolved

That's ridiculous. I thought we'd seen the back of this issue.

Halo has already done 60fps. ;)

Yup another fantastic example; can't believe I forgot that one. So happy they've gone with the 60fps route compared to their previous 30fps games last gen (although I didn't mind the latter that much since 90% of FPS games I played on last gen were 30fps apart from CoD).

Pif

Banned
Can't watch at the moment.

What does the fps and resolution police say for both platforms?

i do hope they can give Thunt a really solid framerate (preff 60fps). It's the mode i would buy the game for.

Thus far the framerate in Thunt was often horrible. Maybe it was part netcode? No idea but it runs better when you play with less people.

Can't watch at the moment.

What does the fps and resolution police say for both platforms?

60fps (with minor dips) on the main game mode, but unfortunately, a locked (and jarring) 30fps on the terrorist hunt mode. 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One with soft IQ, and a better Anistotropic Filtering implementation on Xbox One.

Pif

Banned
Are you joking around or do you really take these things personally?

Just a friendly term to adress people who compare technicall performance between videogame platforms, no offense intended.

I'm actually interested on the matter yes.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Again, it shouldn't come as any surprise that the PS4 version uses trilinear filtering and Xbox One uses 4x AF. I honestly don't understand why devs undervalue this so much. It's so important to IQ, and I can easily notice it straight away in how muddy textures are when the AF implementation is poor (and this is coming from someone who isn't normally sensitive to these issues or that picky - I mean I've never noticed screen tearing in any PS3/360 or PS4 game I've ever played).

I mean Destiny is another example of this; the game is beautiful and all, but it's poor AF (and shoddy AA implementation) leave a lot to be desired in the IQ department.

And it has little to no performance cost as well! I mean look at the DmC definitive edition pre and post patch; an increase in AF quality had no performance cost whatsoever. It still boggles my mind this go unnoticed or unsolved
Not every game is DmC though. Other games might have problems with high levels of AF.

Not saying that PS4 can't handle it, but "that one game has it so any game should" it's not a good line of thought.

Just such a shame about the 60fps in versus and 30fps in terrorist hunt, man what a difference.

Anyway, long story short it sounds like the X1 version is the ''lesser'' version?

Not every game is DmC though. Other games might have problems with high levels of AF.

Not saying that PS4 can't handle it, but "that one game has it so any game should" it's not a good line of thought.

Yeah I understand, but it's not just DmC. Should have been more clear; all the games I've played on PC have had no performance cost (or if so, by literally just 1-2fps) when I've increased the AF. Just not sure why the same principle as well as the DmC patch can be used for other PS4 games.

I get what you mean though.

60fps (with minor dips) on the main game mode, but unfortunately, a locked (and jarring) 30fps on the terrorist hunt mode. 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One with soft IQ, and a better Anistotropic Filtering implementation on Xbox One.

That explains it. I have only been playing T-Hunt and felt the frame rate wasn't even locked 30. Then this video comes out showing 60fps but thats the pvp mode. Really wish both modes ran at 60.

VGA222

Banned
The IQ in this game is not great. I don't know what antialiasing solution they're using, but it seems worse than a typical PPAA.

Portugeezer

I could understand a SP campaign being 30fps, you could complete SP then move on to MP... but switching between Terrorist Hunt and MP on consoles will be jarring.

I could understand a SP campaign being 30fps, you could complete SP then move on to MP... but switching between Terrorist Hunt and MP on consoles will be jarring.

this is the exact reason that i'll pick up the game on PC. it won't look as good (on my late 2013 imac at least), but at least i can push 60fps on both modes

It's still kind of crazy since the AI/visuals don't seem all that complex and the arenas are really small.
Yeah, I am also not sure why they give the excuse about "AI" being why it is of a lower framerate... considering... why would AI in a networked game run on local machines and not the server?

Eitherway it is some sort of CPU limiting thing... animation updates? I have no idea.

I've gotta say, despite a few rough graphical patches here and there, they've got a really nice global illumination lighting system in place, particularly in rooms with a variety of light sources and how it accurately reflects off the gun and other texture surfaces.

I'll upload some screenshots later to explain what I mean as I'm on my phone right now.

I've gotta say, despite a few rough graphical patches here and there, they've got a really nice global illumination lighting system in place, particularly in rooms with a variety of light sources and how it accurately reflects off the gun and other texture surfaces.

I'll upload some screenshots later to explain what I mean as I'm on my phone right now.

You sure it isn't just SSR?
The game has that.

Engell

the performance on PC is pretty horrible compared to what is on the screen.

i have to run everything on low 900p on my laptop Nvidia 765m.
this card can usually run GTA5 in high 1080p and farcry4 on high

on my main rig gtx970 I don't even get 60fps on high. :-(

either the game is gimped on PC or graphics on the console is going to look like crap

the performance on PC is pretty horrible compared to what is on the screen.

i have to run everything on low 900p on my laptop Nvidia 765m.
this card can usually run GTA5 in high 1080p and farcry4 on high

on my main rig gtx970 I don't even get 60fps on high. :-(

either the game is gimped on PC or graphics on the console is going to look like crap
It's not a looker on console.. And it doesn't run great right now in T-hunt.
T-hunt is soo much fun though.

But i have seen very smooth pc footage.

Just trying out the PC beta.

The SSR is pretty good, gun models are nice, but player models and hand models are pretty low poly. Also, your character body does not project shadows which is a bit weird.

It runs really well at the highest settings (and scales really well with thread count and utilization as the screen below shows) and the TAA does an OK job cleaning up the image, but it is pretty soft. It seems to work in a way like HRAA if you read the description.

Also, the smoke effect is rather terrible:
rainbowsix_2015_10_022uut7.png

Jarrod38

If they can iron out the matchmaking issues this will be a great game until then I cant see myself buying the game.

Game performs really well for me as well. 1440p/120fps across all modes. Matchmaking on the other hand is pretty terrible. When it works the game is pretty damn fun, especially with your buddies and people with mics.

SomTervo

cpu bottleneck

Yep.

It's still kind of crazy since the AI/visuals don't seem all that complex and the arenas are really small.

I can confirm that (on Realistic at least) the AI is very complex indeed. They come out with some incredibly complex and co-ordinated maneuvers sometimes, and there are 3-4 'types' with different behaviours.

Realistic Terrorist Hunt in Seige is some next level shit, even with SWAT 4 and Rainbow Six 3/Vegas in mind.

Edit: A brief example:
one time myself and four others had a go at the 'House' level, and killed all but 7 of the terrorists. When we started, there were no enemies outside of the building. We went in through the basement, cleared every floor systematically and fully, and three of us were killed, leaving two guys to tackle the last 7 tangos. These last two players ended up on the top floor, stumped because there was no sign of the last 7 terrorists who we couldn't find in the house. So they start clearing the floors again, top floor to bottom floor. It's a tense, silent couple of minutes, each of them checking corners and doorways and tentatively leaning around bullet/explosive holes in walls and floors to check they aren't going to get sniped.

While checking a doorway on the middle floor, one of them turns around to see a terrorist come running up the stairs. He starts firing - when suddenly another terrorist comes running up after the first. Then another. Then another. Then a grenade came flying up the stairwell. And another terrorist emerged.

In a co-ordinated attack between 7 individual NPCs, the terrorist AI fully bum-rushed the last two players when they least expected it – and had obviously co-ordinated to go outside the building once the gunfighting started and wait until all was quiet before sneaking in en masse and ambushing the remaining two players. Needless to say, we failed the mission - the guy was shot to death by the second or third terrorist and the remaining 4-5 tangos ran straight through the middle floor and got the last remaining player.

I know this is a technical-focus thread, but I had to share that shit. I haven't seen AI that good in... I'm not sure. It must have a pretty significant impact on the CPU pathway.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Yep.

I can confirm that (on Realistic at least) the AI is very complex indeed. They come out with some incredibly complex and co-ordinated maneuvers sometimes, and there are 3-4 'types' with different behaviours.

Realistic Terrorist Hunt in Seige is some next level shit, even with SWAT 4 and Rainbow Six 3/Vegas in mind.

I agree with you.

Yep.

Edit: A brief example:
one time myself and four others had a go at the 'House' level, and killed all but 7 of the terrorists. When we started, there were no enemies outside of the building. We went in through the basement, cleared every floor systematically and fully, and three of us were killed, leaving two guys to tackle the last 7 tangos. These last two players ended up on the top floor, stumped because there was no sign of the last 7 terrorists who we couldn't find in the house. So they start clearing the floors again, top floor to bottom floor. It's a tense, silent couple of minutes, each of them checking corners and doorways and tentatively leaning around bullet/explosive holes in walls and floors to check they aren't going to get sniped.

While checking a doorway on the middle floor, one of them turns around to see a terrorist come running up the stairs. He starts firing - when suddenly another terrorist comes running up after the first. Then another. Then another. Then a grenade came flying up the stairwell. And another terrorist emerged.

In a co-ordinated attack between 7 individual NPCs, the terrorist AI fully bum-rushed the last two players when they least expected it – and had obviously co-ordinated to go outside the building once the gunfighting started and wait until all was quiet before sneaking in en masse and ambushing the remaining two players. Needless to say, we failed the mission - the guy was shot to death by the second or third terroris and the remaining 4-5 ran straight through the middle floor and got the last remaining player.

I know this is a technical-focus thread, but I had to share that shit. I haven't seen AI that good in... I'm not sure. It must have a pretty significant impact on the CPU pathway.

Damn man, that's awesome. I love the great attention to detail that developers sometimes put into their games. And no, not at all, don't apologise, technical thread involves all sorts of stuff, and that includes competent AI!

SomTervo

Damn man, that's awesome. I love the great attention to detail that developers sometimes put into their games. And no, not at all, don't apologise, technical thread involves all sorts of stuff, and that includes competent AI!

Cheers bub!

It's no surprise to me at all that it causes a bottleneck. I never check how many tangos there are but I swear it's 20-30, which alone is more than the 10 models in a PvP match, combined with each of them having pretty amazing AI.

The individual enemy types dynamically affect the levels, too - bombers can A) plant proximity mines anywhere in a level in anticipation of players and B) suicide bomb-rush the players. Grenadiers also often ambush the players when they get a bead on them. One other time, me and the others were in the middle floor, checking doorways (house full of tangos unalerted). Suddenly, three different walls all around us exploded at once. Bullets came whizzing through the gaping holes. A doorway leading outside was busted open and two tangos came running through. We were all dead in moments.

Even with all 10 PvP players throwing grenades at once, it would probably only just match this chaos.

Ha, funny you say that as the two can easily be mixed up, but if you watch NX Gamer's analysis in this video here, between 3:28 - 4:05, he explain the difference and pretty much differentiates between the SSR and GI implementation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEIQ7XCK5J4

Oh I am not messing them up, no confusion about that. The GI in the game is not real time, just baked... like every game out there on console basically. Almost any games that use cube maps would have that kind of "gi" (even though this game also has obvious baked light maps that you can see in some door entrances). Cube maps are not what I would really call GI, because it is not global and it isnt even necessarily local. Something like what alien Isolation uses is GI (and is also real time).

I think we should set up a thread about terminology usage at some point... just because.
is this with ultra settings on a 970?

Titan X. Sorry I should have typed that originally.

Top Bottom