• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knowledge-age: GAF, help me learn... everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

AvidNobody said:
Came in here to recommend this.
If you were to read ONE book about why certain peoples around the world develop technology faster than other peoples, read THIS.
I thought David S. Landes' The Wealth and Poverty of Nations made a stronger case to be honest. Although Guns, Germs and Steel had some good points as well.

Salazar

Bryan Magee's 'Talking Philosophy' would be a useful book to pick up. He interviews fifteen influential philosophers, drawing out their different methods, opinions, concerns. It makes a great deal of complicated knowledge approachable, and shows the personalities within the theories, arguments, and pronouncements. Good book.

I can't recommend trying to AVOID creating a real structure for yourself enough. I find I learn much more, and much more easily, but just following my curiosity where it goes.

NZer

To all those suggesting an instrument,
I do already play the piano (and have for many years) - for some reason it isn't really the outlet for me, nor am I that keen to pick up another instrument. Funny, because I love listening to music. Maybe it just isn't my outlet. Your mileage may vary.

Sports, on the other hand, are very much a part of my next-year-plan, but since I already play the sports I want to play (I just need to have more time to play them), I don't really need any suggestions, although I appreciate the effort. (And I also agree that for those who don't play a sport, getting one is great for your state of mind as well as your physique.)

And c'mon GAF, surely there are even more great resources out there that are essential to this thread!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
acidviper said:
http://www.dansego.com/matrix/Images/JackingIn.jpg[IMG]
Unless you got one of these you are probably too old to add significant learning or retaining whatever you learn unless you have extraordinary motivation.[/QUOTE]
That age thing is complete bullshit. Motivation, now I'll give you that one. But you're pretty much never "too old".
And if you're looking to retain anything, I heartily suggest getting into an [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition_software#Computer_software_using_spaced_repetition"]SRS[/URL].

NZer

RevenantKioku said:
That age thing is complete bullshit. Motivation, now I'll give you that one. But you're pretty much never "too old".
And if you're looking to retain anything, I heartily suggest getting into an SRS.

whoa, that SRS is some (cool) crazy shit, but how would you possibly implement it?

Fjolle

NZer said:
whoa, that SRS is some (cool) crazy shit, but how would you possibly implement it?
I think that the supermemo program is quite good (read an article about it years ago :lol), but i havent used it.

Also thread bookmarked till i have finished my thesis :D

Monocle

Great topic. My modest contribution:

Gutenberg.org and Literature.org, two exceedingly well stocked resources for free books, from classics to the highly obscure. These sites have pretty much everything you could want. From their archives I have the complete works of Shakespeare and selected works of James Joyce, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Marcel Proust, John Milton, Mark Twain, Bram Stoker, Charles Dickens, and many more. Another site in this vein is Google Books, although I believe it offers scans as opposed to plain text files.

A free collection of essays and journalism by George Orwell.

The Bible: King James Version (AKA the version everyone who wants to understand English literature needs to read).

The invaluable Richard Feynman lectures. Essential viewing.

Cosmos, Carl Sagan's superb series, available for free on Hulu.

TED. Lectures on all sorts of educational topics. Posted already, but too important not to mention again.

QualiaSoup's YouTube channel.
Offers an array of remarkably accessible and well-produced illustrated presentations on topics related to science, reason, and religious misconceptions of (or misinformation about) these subjects. Watch the one on open-mindedness first.

Slate's archive of Fighting Words by Christopher Hitchens—an always illuminating column by a prolific journalist of rare articulateness and integrity.

NZer

Monocle said:
The invaluable Richard Feynman lectures. Essential viewing.

Excellent post, and the quoted is actually recorded from my (and your?) university! "Douglas Robb" is a very familiar name to me... I spent eons in "his" lecture theatre.

And thank you all, this is exactly the sort of awesome the internet is capable of!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
NZer said:
I use Anki pretty much every day for my Japanese studies.

Epic_Dave

Neo Member
Two awesome physics books by Michio Kaku

parallelworlds.jpg

physicsoftheimpossible.jpg

Especially had fun reading Physics Of The Impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom