• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time:Finn and Jake Investigations:fanservice done right.Fullgame impression

Adventure Time: Finn and Jake Investigations is the new Adventure Time game for PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U and 3DS (as far as I know, all versions have identical content). I have played all 5 chapters and the bonus dlc chapter, and gotten all the trophies except 2. It was EASILY my favourite of the 4 Adventure Time games. (Why'd You Steal our Garbage was mega short but ok, Explore the Dungeon was steaming Tree Trunks Excrement, and Nameless Kingdom was a basic but servicable Zelda clone) But this game? Is like a long episode of Adventure Time.

EVERY LINE IN THE GAME IS VOICED BY THE VOICE ACTOR FROM THE SHOW. And being as this is an old school adventure game, there is a metric ton of dialogue. It's not written by the show's writers, but it shows great knowledge of the show and references a great number of episodes and situations in plot points and throwaway lines.

So the setup of the game is that Cuber has called you to play some playable Graybles and figure out the theme that runs through all 5. Finn and Jake have decided to run a detective agency with some device left by their father (planted by Magic Man) You start out in Finn and Jake's treehouse (where you can explore all the different rooms and listen to excerpts from Starchie's radio show). The different chapters have somewhat nonsensical plots (Lumpy Ice princess has LSP becoming ruler of the ice kingdom after she lures Ice King away with a fake Fionna and Cake book tour, all so she can make Lumpy Prince come to life)

Gameplay is simple but engaging. On PS4, the L1 button will show a glow on interactive objects, and then you press square to use the currently equipped item, X to examine, or circle to talk to the character. Pressing the touch pad goes the the inventory, where you can combine items to make new items to solve puzzles. That mop head will make a nice beard for someone, but he said he wanted a black beard :p The game is logical and not obtuse at all. Everything makes sense in an Adventure Time sorta way.The game is funny. Not as funny as the show at its best, but always amusing and sometimes laugh out loud funny.

The only bad part of the game is "Combat Time". A few times a chapter, you have to hack and slash with Finn and build up a combo meter to unleash Jake special moves like "Jake Suit" It is completely mindless and shallow, but it is infrequent and relatively inoffensive.

The graphics might be off-putting at first, but I got used to them rather quickly, and the game is very colourful and certainly runs better than its Telltale contemporaries.You would probably not get much out of this game if you're not a big fan of the show, because it is a very simple, straightforward game, but it captures the SPIRIT of the license better than any licensed game I've ever played.

The game is a good length too. It took me about 10 hours to finish the main 5 chapter game.

The bonus chapter on PSN for $4.99 is absolutely worth it too. It adds another 2 hour chapter where you play a parallel story as Marceline. You have the same gameplay, but you can fly, scare people and drain the red from objects. The environments are new ones not in the main game like box kingdom and wildberry kingdom.

Anyway, hopefully this is helpful to someone looking for some info on this game, as there's not much info out there. There are some playthroughs on youtube to check out, and a demo on PS3/PS4 as well of the first chunk of Chapter 1. Check it out if you're a fan!

I'm interested in this, but I don't know what happened to the Steam release. Their Twitter makes it sound like it's still coming at some point, but I don't know when.

Jagsrock

Banned
I'm glad to hear the game does justice to the source material. I liked hey ice king! But it was too short.I'm looking forward to this one.

Hmm..

Loved the first AT game, didn't dig the second, loved the 3rd (so many LTTP references) so, I'm intrigued by this.

So, OP, would you consider this game to kinda be a telltale game clone (that's what the previews reminded me of) or is it something different.

It seems like this (and the Gravity Falls 3DS game has received no press or advertising at all). Hell, I've even seen commercials for the Snoopy game at Target for heavens sake!

ryushe

Thanks for this. I genuinely enjoyed HIKWDYSOG (the soundtrack in that game is godly), so hearing this is better than that excites me a fair deal.

Tizoc

Heard some negative impressions about this game at first but I will give it a try once it is on Steam.

Hmm..

Loved the first AT game, didn't dig the second, loved the 3rd (so many LTTP references) so, I'm intrigued by this.

So, OP, would you consider this game to kinda be a telltale game clone (that's what the previews reminded me of) or is it something different.

It seems like this (and the Gravity Falls 3DS game has received no press or advertising at all). Hell, I've even seen commercials for the Snoopy game at Target for heavens sake!

The game reminds me of the Telltale Back to the Future or Wallace and Gromit games. Explore, talk to characters, pick up items, solve puzzles and people's problems with them.

I've got this game held at the local library, and am considering picking it up and giving it a chance. So I'm glad that your impressions are positive.

How hard are the adventure/item combination puzzles, though? I'm not particularly great at the point and click adventure genre -- although I know this sort of deviates -- and worry it won't be for me as a result.

JPS Kai

I've got this game held at the local library, and am considering picking it up and giving it a chance. So I'm glad that your impressions are positive.

How hard are the adventure/item combination puzzles, though? I'm not particularly great at the point and click adventure genre -- although I know this sort of deviates -- and worry it won't be for me as a result.
There are a couple of obtuse puzzles but sometimes it really comes down to brute forcing the game logic. Aside from a couple of tricky sections with multiple parts to the puzzle, I enjoyed it (minus the combat time sections. Those feel like there was something like an RPG element that was cut mid development if you notice the awkward victory screen after combat).

As a whole, it was one of the more enjoyable AT themed games (I haven't played Secret of the Nameless Kingdom yet) and one of the better fitting genres they could explore.

Jagsrock

Banned
There are a couple of obtuse puzzles but sometimes it really comes down to brute forcing the game logic. Aside from a couple of tricky sections with multiple parts to the puzzle, I enjoyed it (minus the combat time sections. Those feel like there was something like an RPG element that was cut mid development if you notice the awkward victory screen after combat).

As a whole, it was one of the more enjoyable AT themed games (I haven't played Secret of the Nameless Kingdom yet) and one of the better fitting genres they could explore.

Maaaaaan a full fledged adventure time rpg would be amazing.

That's worrying

Thanks for the impressions

Maaaaaan a full fledged adventure time rpg would be amazing.
I want Adventure Time: Dungeon Train. It could literally be the most cookie-cutter Diablo 3 clone ever created and it would still be a better use of the IP than any of the existing games. Having said that, I'll give Investigations a shot.

Shauni

I planned to pick it up at some time since I'm a mega AT fan and all. Glad to hear you had a good time with it. Feels like it's been total silence about this.

That's the thing. There has been almost cricket-worthy silence regarding this game. This was one of the only threads I found regarding it.

I have nothing against Adventure Time, and do think it's well-done from what I've seen, but I just don't have interest in cartoon shows these days. It's not my humour.

I'm interested in this as a gamer, but if its puzzles are that hard at times, I don't know.

How hard/obtuse are we talking?

Glad to hear some impressions on this finally. I always get my little sister a game for Christmas and was thinking of picking this up for her this year.

The amount of silence regarding this game is weird but it seems like most of the AT games are pretty lowkey releases. Expected combat to be kind of a let-down since even the trailers didn't make it look good, but glad to hear the rest is a nice package for AT fans.

Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW HOW piqued my interest, and I wish it had ended up being good. I like those types of games.

Went to vote for this on Xbox One backward compatibility but it's not on the voting site. Man!
It's available for Xbox One. You very well may have a reason to want the 360 version playable on the One, but if you weren't aware that there's a Xbox One version of Investigations, here's some heads up! I'm looking to pick up that version for myself on Black Friday.

Now I'd like to see Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom for 360 backwards compatible on Xbox One - I missed playing that game.

It's available for Xbox One. You very well may have a reason to want the 360 version playable on the One, but if you weren't aware that there's a Xbox One version of Investigations, here's some heads up! I'm looking to pick up that version for myself on Black Friday.

Now I'd like to see Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom for 360 backwards compatible on Xbox One - I missed playing that game.

Yeah like I said I plan to get it for my little sister for Christmas. I gave my 360 to her. So I was hoping to get the 360 version for her and play it on my Xbox One myself down the road.

Yeah like I said I plan to get it for my little sister for Christmas. I gave my 360 to her. So I was hoping to get the 360 version for her and play it on my Xbox One myself down the road.
I assumed that's what you were planning to do. I'll vote for it if it's put up on the feedback site. Hopefully all Adventure Time games become backwards compatible.

Ended up getting it from the library today. I considered borrowing the 360 version to give mine some use, but went with current-gen.

I sometimes worry about putting library discs into my newer console, because they put these Sting-Ray IR tag stickers on top of them and it sometimes causes them to become unevenly weighted, or so it seems.

Hoping to beat it over the next 3-4 days.

Of course, the game is new but it's already got two huge, greasy full finger prints on it. Thankfully it installed okay.

I'm having my console replaced, so I didn't worry about cleaning it off and just blew the dust off in another room.

So far, I've completed the first investigation. It took a couple of hours or so, but I also looked around the treehouse and investigated practically everything.

The dialogue is kind of comical, and there are things I like, but I'm not sure if I'd call it a good game right now. It's middling. Kind of budget title-esque and a bit cumbersome.

EDIT: I've played more. It's alright, I guess. Comical but tedious.

OP, are the final three investigations lengthy or overly difficult? I have to finish the game by tomorrow or really early Monday morning, and am too tired to play it tonight.

How long do you think they'll take, for someone who hasn't had too many issues outside of a couple of obtuse answers so far? I spent 5-10 minutes trying to figure out a couple of parts.

Note that I'm not far past the picnic when Magic Man is being an asshole.

OP, are the final three investigations lengthy or overly difficult? I have to finish the game by tomorrow or really early Monday morning, and am too tired to play it tonight.

How long do you think they'll take, for someone who hasn't had too many issues outside of a couple of obtuse answers so far? I spent 5-10 minutes trying to figure out a couple of parts.

Note that I'm not far past the picnic when Magic Man is being an asshole.

The first 2 investigations are the longest in the game. 4 and 5 are the shortest. I'd say 5 only took me an hour. Also, the game gets easier as it goes along (or I got used to its logic). If you can get to case 4, you'll finish the whole game 2-3 hours later.

The first 2 investigations are the longest in the game. 4 and 5 are the shortest. I'd say 5 only took me an hour. Also, the game gets easier as it goes along (or I got used to its logic). If you can get to case 4, you'll finish the whole game 2-3 hours later.

Thanks

I think I'm close to finishing the first part of 3. So maybe 5 hours left?

The
boiling water plus a towel
part got me for a bit. I was sure I'd tried the towel, but I guess I hadn't. I tried everything else, then scoured for a while.

fernoca

As a heads up...
Wii U and 3DS version are on sale at the eShop for $19.99 each (regular price is $39.99 and $29.99 respectively).

Rented it from Redbox over the weekend and beat it within a night. It was a fun game, I really enjoyed it plus it gives a nice platinum for your time (6-8 hours was my playthrough)

Makes me a crave an open world Adventure Time game.

Shauni

As a heads up...
Wii U and 3DS version are on sale at the eShop for $19.99 each (regular price is $39.99 and $29.99 respectively).

If no deals pop up for physical, I may end up going for that. If it ends up being $25 at Wal-Mart like someone mentioned, I'll go for that instead, though. All of my AT media is physical.

I beat this about a week ago, then returned it to the library. I didn't have any interest in playing it again.

Overall, it was okay I guess. It wasn't exactly fun, but it was interesting enough despite being somewhat tedious. The writing was comical.

It didn't take too long to beat (maybe seven hours, eight tops). I just missed one snail, too, which was frustrating.

Top Bottom