• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFer-owned objets d'art, or: post pics of your cool stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mascot

It's evident from various other threads that many GAFers possess interesting and quirky objets d'art in various formats. Showcase them all here, folks.

I'll kick us off with this room thermometer fashioned from industrial junk salvaged from a vintage heating system and an M40 stainless steel nut to form the base. I recalibrated it to read air temperature and it's pretty accurate. It stands about 10" high and is a great conversation piece.

20151210_182448%201_zpsivaqadhz.jpg

I'm a huge, huge fan of the industrial aesthetic.

Pterion

I own nothing that's considered impressive. My wife and I would like to build a bauhaus style house within the next 5 years or so. Kind of like this.
Haifa-House-by-Pitsou-Kedem-Architects02.jpg

contemporary-bauhaus-on-the-carmel-by-pitsou-kedem-architects-contemporary-bauhaus-style-home-in-haifa1-1024x682.jpg

yasu151

Self-made folk art.

20151216_075946r4oay.jpg

20151216_075928qpq3k.jpg

An older GAF thread got us into making these, and we figured we'd decorate the trees with the extras. It's not typical art, but we do use them for decorations.

*sorry for the low quality pictures; figured something simple from an older phone would suffice, but... woof

Skwerl

Let's see......
Here's an Ace Combat Zero model that I built last weekend

kxHF5Dhl.jpg

and an US air force helmet from the late 60s/early 70s
2qq0z53.jpg

Skwerl

What's the story behind the helmet?
I just bought it off ebay as over-priced decor and art reference. The ebay seller didn't provide much service history about the helmet, and the helmet didnt bear any insignia either. But given how much the interior is aged and the condition of the oxygen mask, the date doesnt seem far fetched...

Yes, I am a nerd :\

Mascot

I just bought it off ebay as over-priced decor and art reference. The ebay seller didn't provide much service history about the helmet, and the helmet didnt bear any insignia either. But given how much the interior is aged and the condition of the oxygen mask, the date doesnt seem far fetched...

Yes, I am a nerd :\

I totally know where you are coming from. I love stuff like this as 'art' and would pick interesting and aesthetically-pleasing functional items almost every time over something created purely for the sake of art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom