• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 hard drive free space for a game not enough?

Hey guys, I havent played my PS3 in a while, but this last PS+ god of war ascension came available, and since I didn't bought it, I wanted to play it.

The thing is, I have a launch PS3, with 80GB, the game size is 34GB, and I had a lot of space used in games, so I deleted all my games and the free space came as 54GB, but the store don't let me download the game, because I dont have enough free space...

I checked in music/videos/games/photos and deleted everything but still I dont have enough free space to download it.

Does this game is impossible to play in a 80GB PS3? Do I need to change the hard drive to play it?

Thomper

I think you need space twice the size of a game to install it on ps3. So, yeah: you can't install it. Sorry!

A lot of games are impossible to get on 80GB HDD. I believe some space is reserved. Upgrade the drive if you need to; you can get 500GB and more HDD for less than $100. It's easy!

You need the space to download it 34gb then another 34gb to install it. So you would need 68gb of space to install the game. After you install it should free up the 34gb space used to download.

well fuck!

Does the ps4 hard disk fit the ps3?

I kinda was looking to upgrade my ps4 hard drive, and this will definelty push me to do it if the 500gb drive fit the ps3, 2 birds with one stone...

Yup. Both are 2.5" laptop drives.

I still think they fact it has to download and install is super clunky. Will be hard to get used to when I finally buy a PS3.

I literally just went through this ten minutes ago. I ended up clearing off half of my games for this monstrosity, but I've been on a God of War binge so at least I'll have it cleared back off soon.

SoulUnison

Banned
Yeah, I have a 60GB launch model that I keep for the true PS2 BC and would be gutted if it ever died on me, but there've been games I couldn't actually play because there's literally no way to have enough free HDD space to download and install them.

It's actually why I stopped subscribing to PS+.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I recently gutted an old laptop for it's hard drive that I put into my 60gb PS3. Have any of those lying around?

A 320gb hdd might seem like nothing in some old Acer, but in a launch era PS3, it can be a godsend.

Leynos

I bought a 500 GB hard drive for my launch 60 GB PS3, and it was only $40. I've been downloading all of my games over the past couple of weeks, and the only one left is God Of War Ascension, but it is 34 GB in size, and I don't really want to use up any more data. Oh well, I don't care for God Of War anyways.

BUMP - I'm currently in the process of trying to download yakuza 5. I got the OG 60 Ps3. there's two games I want to keep which are tekken 5 online and bejeweled, both together add up to less than 1GB, and the photos on my HD add up to less than 1GB. I can delete minecraft since I don't play it on Ps3 anymore.

what's eating up the rest of my fucking space?

Vashetti

Banned
BUMP - I'm currently in the process of trying to download yakuza 5. I got the OG 60 Ps3. there's two games I want to keep which are tekken 5 online and bejeweled, both together add up to less than 1GB, and the photos on my HD add up to less than 1GB. I can delete minecraft since I don't play it on Ps3 anymore.

How big is Yakuza 5?

Any pictures or videos? You should be able to do it. I managed to get Yakuza 4 to download on my 60 gig, and it's about the same size.

Any pictures or videos? You should be able to do it. I managed to get Yakuza 4 to download on my 60 gig, and it's about the same size.
pictures and videos combined add up to about half of one GB. the two games I want to keep, tekken 5 online and bejeweled 2, also combined add up to a little under 1GB. i'll kill everything else I just need to know what to kill.

androvsky

Some space is lost in formatting, system reserve, and just from hard drive makers using a different number system. But if you've played some disc games check your game data section, that's where installs will be. Be careful, some games like LittleBigPlanet put their saves in that folder, you'll need to do a save export if you have a game like that.

You should be able to have 55GB free on an empty drive.

Check your Game Data Utility folder. Thats probably taking up space.
yeah, it's taking over 5 minutes to delete certain things, it's been stuck on resistance 3 for over 5 minutes now. should I reboot?
Some space is lost in formatting, system reserve, and just from hard drive makers using a different number system. But if you've played some disc games check your game data section, that's where installs will be. Be careful, some games like LittleBigPlanet put their saves in that folder, you'll need to do a save export if you have a game like that.

You should be able to have 55GB free on an empty drive.
yeah I remember 55GB meant that's when it's free. For some reason though my Ps3's stuck on one thing. Should I reboot?
Please upgrade the hard drive. If you have only two games, it'll be easy to redownload them. I can't stress this enough.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ISKS416/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's only $40 for a 500GB 7200RPM hard drive.
bruh...I just spent $40 today on my Ps3. Don't make me invest in it more now, I'd really rather not now that I have a Ps4.

No, let it finish.

PS3 is just slow as shit at deleting big files.
Fuck. Well, I rebooted it...and now it's a corrupt file. It was 2.5GB mind you, I have already deleted files that were 5GB and they didn't take as long. Am I gonna have any trouble deleting this?

Vashetti

Banned

androvsky

Fuck. Well, I rebooted it...and now it's a corrupt file. It was 2.5GB mind you, I have already deleted files that were 5GB and they didn't take as long. Am I gonna have any trouble deleting this?
There's a known bug with deleting Resistance 3, it can take hours.

nOoblet16

yeah, it's taking over 5 minutes to delete certain things, it's been stuck on resistance 3 for over 5 minutes now. should I reboot?

yeah I remember 55GB meant that's when it's free. For some reason though my Ps3's stuck on one thing. Should I reboot?
bruh...I just spent $40 today on my Ps3. Don't make me invest in it more now, I'd really rather not now that I have a Ps4.
Resistance 3 takes ages to delete. Something to do with how files are installed and how slow PS3 is.

The corruption is known bug and will take even longer, just keep it running overnight.

You may have to boot into Safe Mode and do the Restore File System and Rebuild Database options, that'll clear any bad files but will keep everything else.

http://community.us.playstation.com...o-access-Playstation-3-SAFE-MODE/td-p/5812274
thanks but i'm not trying to restore the file, i'm trying to get rid of it. can that be done normally?
There's a known bug with deleting Resistance 3, it can take hours.
374.gif

wow, that is insane. I'm up to 40GB now, I need like 4 more to play yakuza 5.

Vashetti

Banned
ok my bad. in any case i have been able to delete it, but for some reason I still can't download what I want even though my HD says 44GB free.

I'd do what I said and do those two procedures in Safe Mode, it'll clear any hidden 'junk' files and may give you just enough room to download it.

Think of it like a disk defragment on a PC, nothing bad can happen and your PS3 may even run a bit better after it.

I'd do what I said and do those two procedures in Safe Mode, it'll clear any hidden 'junk' files and may give you just enough room to download it.

Think of it like a disk defragment on a PC, nothing bad can happen and your PS3 may even run a bit better after it.
gotcha. well I had to sacrifice tekken 5 online, if I saw your post I would've done that beforehand.

but now I have to wait 300 minutes to download this goddamn game.

Vashetti

Banned
gotcha. well I had to sacrifice tekken 5 online, if I saw your post I would've done that beforehand.

but now I have to wait 300 minutes to download this goddamn game.

Plus 300 minutes to install it once the download is done

Plus 300 minutes to delete the 'install' file afterward

I'm only marginally exaggerating on the amount of time you will have to wait

I think it was Resistance 3 that I was deleting when I thought my console was dying. It just kept sitting there and doing nothing, and took forever to delete. I called support and they didn't know - just said to wait.

Keep us updated :)
32%, 160 more minutes :\
I think it was Resistance 3 that I was deleting when I thought my console was dying. It just kept sitting there and doing nothing, and took forever to delete. I called support and they didn't know - just said to wait.
so for last gen, deleting a game file doesn't seem like a thing that'd come up all that often in conversation but if it were, I feel like a lot of gamers would be outraged at this fucking bullshit.

Done yet man? :p
yes! it was done, thanks for asking (fell asleep on the goddamn couch though, lost track of time :p). the game is great so far, although the complaints I have for it are the same as I had 2 iterations ago. Yakuza 3 was the last game I played

Top Bottom