• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paladins: Champions of the Realm closed beta thread | Hi-Rez F2P FPS

Dare

Banned
Pretty brutal and competitive game. People are calling it poor man's Overwatch. Seems like we're getting a lot of the pro FPS guys playing that weren't invited to Overwatch beta.

The game factually has faster movement than Overwatch and no ironsights.

So if you like tf2 on crack then try this. There is a lot of fragging in it.

Notoriously I hate HiRez, but unless there is mass revolt against this game or Pro FPS players calling it a casual only game like Tribes: Ascend was then I really gotta say I'm enjoying this game a lot and HiRez may have got something right for once.

Needs public rankings though like sc2.

update: http://forums.paladins.com/showthread.php?887-November-24th-2015-Patch-0-7-Notes

Overwatch has ADS? I watched a lot of streams and I only saw people using the scope, but otherwise it was hipfiring.

Pip

*NEW* Ambush - Epic
[Weapon] Deal 60% increased damage to enemies on the Capture Point

Are they joking? The problem with Pip is how he just spam his way to victory, bombarding the CP forever, with a good explosion radius and a good fire distance.

In any case, I have three invites to sent, if someone is interested, pm me with email.

Dare

Banned
Not the biggest fan of long distance zoom snipers anyway and I guess I thought it was an ironsight.

Now that I've seen more of Overwatch it looks pretty good, but I still like the faster movement mechanics in Paladins and the constant cluster style fragging over what Overwatch is showing currently.

I'll probably play both.

Dare

Banned
It was amazing for me to see the HiRez CEO Erez respond himself to complaints against the last patch and HotFix it almost within the hour.

The beta is going great imo many compromises are being made between fan groups from different games (there's TF2, Smite, MOBA, Tribes, COD, teams all playing this game already) in how they want the game to feel and play and its all happening on the feedback forums.

I can give away 3 beta keys for this if people pm an email they want to receive it from.

Altima

This game is trying to be too many things than it can.
It is FPS.
it is MOBA.
It is also CCG with deckbuilding.

However, in the end I satisfy at nothing this game offers.

FPS aspects are not ok. Handling and impact are not good. No delay compensation and no reload make me feel lacking with gunplay in this game. They are very important aspects of FPS game. I want to feel good everytime I shoot out my bullet like I feel it in Destiny, Battlefield or Overwatch.

For MOBA aspects, this game really lacks of "big play". It is what people like in MOBA. Something like land your ultimate skill to 5 enemy heroes or a wonderful juking/dodging even Overwatch does better in this aspect.

I do not think CCG aspects make this game any better than make it more pay to win. Basic cards need to be better. We should have a few basic cards with power equal to epic/legendary card tier reduce P2W in this game.

I think that most cards are boring atm. It is usually only some tweak to the number.

Also character design are mostly boring and overlapse with character from other games/media contents.

Dare

Banned
Reloading is good for competitive FPS games with real guns.

If you like quick-fragging like Quake or Tribes reloading is just pathetic IMO.

I enjoy paladins more than I should for how dumb some of the changes from the recent patches are. But it's a closed beta and the CEO talks to the average forum poster himself and hotfixes things if there's visible forum outrage.

IDK where you people come from that that is common but it never was in any of the other games I've had beta access too and I think it's sweet as heck.

Dare

Banned
The forum culture on these guys Feedback forums is very decent IMO. You aren't going to get banned for speaking critically. If you had issues with HiRez in the past now is your chance to vocalize. Erez talks to people directly on the forum ALL DAY.

If you want a beta invite pm me I have many because it's run like an affiliate marketing company where you get more invites the more you give to people that activate them. That's not bad. Social Media works the same way basically.

-no more invites sorry 12 sent tho ask around ppl get them on acount activation

Xeilyn

So i got into this beta yesterday, i like it, it has potential and im a huge fan of Smite so i have high hopes.

I have not played Overwatch but ive seen alot of gameplay and streams and one thing i really like about Paladins comapared to overwatch is the card mechanic, it just offers more variety since its basically different item builds. Just feels like Overwatch might become repetitive after awhile.

Maybe Blizzard are planning to add something similar to the way it works in HOTS

thats just my two cents

patch notes

overview vid

this introduces constructed decks

Constructed decks are now available. Players are able to create a deck of 15 cards and take that with them into the match, guaranteeing their card draws to pre-build specific playstyles. We have replaced all Casual modes with Constructed for testing. Players may access their decks per Champion in the Vault.

Dezzy

This game looks interesting. My favorite FPS was Unreal Tournament. This might not be another UT, but it looks like it has the fast paced hip-firing action I love. I'm not really a MOBA fan(I suck at them) but still managed to have fun with Smite, so I have faith in Hi-Rez. I'm happy to see new FPS games that aren't military/CoD style.

Is there anyone who can send beta invites? :) I have some Fortnite invites too if you wanna trade em.

I haven't played this in a couple weeks. I only had about 140 cards. I just fired up the game to play a few rounds, and I noticed I had a bunch of duplicates for all card types. I never even opened a pack with a legendary, and out of no where I had 35 legendary duplicates. I just did a bunch of crafting, and and I am 13 cards away from having all of them.

I am not complaining here, but what the hell happened?

Dare

Banned
I too got to level 20 in the first few days of beta and then haven; 't played in 2 weeks. Once they started patching things like making the siege engine immune to damage during travel I just assumed it was another dumb HiRez game and quit.

It's good they use their Feedback Forums though.

These hero shooters/Shooter MOBAs are have the same art style. it's ridiculous. I get the "reason", about them being better for low spec machines, but that's nonsense. TF2 was chosen that way intentionally and Source is decently scalable. These just all seem derivative and trying to capture the same market

Tabby

Couldn't find another thread for this so I'll just post this in here. I've got an extra code if anyone wants it. Quote this post and enter it in the launcher when it finishes downloading.

So, Hi-Rez did a 180 regarding the champions being free and as expected the response wasn't good. The forum post about it: http://forums.paladins.com/showthread.php?4992

Basically the wanted fewer heroes with lots of cards, but based on feedback they saw people wanted more heroes.

When we initially began the Paladins beta, our general plan was that the game would contain a relatively small number of champions -- with each champion having a very large number of cards.

As we have progressed with the beta, it has been clear from your feedback and our own experience that most players prefer to have a larger number of champions, each defined by a basic playstyle and purpose that is enhanced by the cards. In this new scheme, there will still be a good number of cards per champion, but not as many as initially envisioned. (At present, we are thinking there will be around 20 to 25 cards per champion). In addition, we have made it much easier to get cards and to craft cards you desire for a specific champion at a specific rarity level.

Right now, we are working hard to significantly expand our champion roster -- in a manner similar to what we did with Smite (releasing new champions on a regular cadence for hopefully a long time to come).

With this new system, we have decided to also make a change to how champions are unlocked. Players will now need to unlock champions either with Gold (earned through playing the game) or Crystals (purchased with real money or earned during promotional events). The price of each champion will be quite reasonable and relatively easy to earn through gameplay (very similar to Smite).

A set of 7 characters will always be able to play for free by everyone. This list of 7 characters will regularly rotate, so that players that don't spend any gold or crystals still get a chance to play every character for free on occassion.

You will be able to try all champions in a practice mode prior to unlocking. And we will also add a way for you to "rent" a champion for a very small gold amount to try out.

As a reward to our early beta testers, anyone that has played in the beta prior to when this change goes active will have all of the champions released up until that point given to them (no need to purchase).

I'm extremely excited about some of the new champions coming to Paladins soon and look forward to seeing you in the Realm!

UPDATE: Current plan is for champions to cost 10,000 Gold or 200 Crystals. To buy all the cards for a champion typically costs between 5,000 and 7,000 gold (although you can also get cards through chests as well, which you can obtain through different ways).

erragal

It makes sense. When looking at the Salvo of fps hero games coming up Paladins has the most interesting levels and tempo but fewest number of characters. In fact it feels simply too low for a proper meta game to develop. Card Customization may make mirror matches play out differently but they don't feel good psychologically and hirez needs every advantage they can get with how much competition is around.

I was actually surprised when they said last year champions would be free as I was expecting a Smite-esque system from the get-go. But then I saw the roster wasn't expanding enough and thought well yeah they're going to compensate with the cards and make their money from that.

I've been playing this game again because most of my friends aren't in overwatch beta. And I have to admit, the current card system has grown on me a lot. And I am really enjoying androxus. Also the loss of the teleporter isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I can easily see myself playing both overwatch and paladins. But currently in the beta I prefer overwatch as solo because I feel more challenged there. When I solo queue in paladins I often come across really inept teams on both sides and it gets a bit boring dominating people. I had a match where a guy was saying "GG we lose because we don't have a tank." I just ended up going on a 11 kill streak with androxus (whom I just started playing and love btw).

So far I primarily play androxus, evie, ruckus, grover, and sometimes cassie.

The pay model change is a bit disappointing but since I have the founders pack it doesn't affect me directly. And since they are planning to sell champion packs at 30 bucks, which includes every champion now and future... it doesn't seem like it's that bad of a deal to be quite honest. That said, I felt the game had a more secure future without the unlocking of champions, so I am just a tiny bit worried. But once it's on steam I think it'll be a really big hit.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing this game again because most of my friends aren't in overwatch beta. And I have to admit, the current card system has grown on me a lot. And I am really enjoying androxus. Also the loss of the teleporter isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I can easily see myself playing both overwatch and paladins. But currently in the beta I prefer overwatch as solo because I feel more challenged there. When I solo queue in paladins I often come across really inept teams on both sides and it gets a bit boring dominating people. I had a match where a guy was saying "GG we lose because we don't have a tank." I just ended up going on a 11 kill streak with androxus (whom I just started playing and love btw).

So far I primarily play androxus, evie, ruckus, grover, and sometimes cassie.

The pay model change is a bit disappointing but since I have the founders pack it doesn't affect me directly. And since they are planning to sell champion packs at 30 bucks, which includes every champion now and future... it doesn't seem like it's that bad of a deal to be quite honest. That said, I felt the game had a more secure future without the unlocking of champions, so I am just a tiny bit worried. But once it's on steam I think it'll be a really big hit.

Interesting to hear your impressions given how much you seem to enjoy Overwatch. I also have access to the Paladins beta but a friend of mine who got in told me it wasn't very so I never actually played it. Do you think it's worth a shot? It strikes me as a slower, more MOBA version of Overwatch, which in a way makes it less casual and therefore more reliant on teamwork.

Interesting to hear your impressions given how much you seem to enjoy Overwatch. I also have access to the Paladins beta but a friend of mine who got in told me it wasn't very so I never actually played it. Do you think it's worth a shot? It strikes me as a slower, more MOBA version of Overwatch, which in a way makes it less casual and therefore more reliant on teamwork.

I can say it is definitely worth trying. I think initially when I got into overwatch I thought I would not enjoy paladins much after that experience. But I feel like despite the numerous similarities, the two games play out very different. I think this is in large part due to 3-4 things.

The maps are very symmetrical (except payload but I don't play much of that in this game). Capture and siege is my favorite by far. It's kind of a mix between control and payload on a symmetrical map. First you fight over a control point. The winning side gets a siege tank that automatically moves towards the opponent's base. Once the siege tank arrives, you have to destroy gates while the defending team destroys the tank (and opponent team since they can damage the wall while the tank is in place). Destroying the vault (after 2 walls) is a win. There is also a control point mode, a round based single life mode (with a closing circle of death to force the fight down to a small area), and payload.

Each character has an escape/movement type ability, so surviving a 1 on 1 is much more likely to happen. Everyone regenerates health outside of combat (like 6 seconds of not shooting or being shot). There aren't health spawns except when someone dies or an ability causes it. TTK is perhaps a little longer, but also depends on your champion customization. For example, there is a card that heals 15% damage dealt, a card that reduces damage when hit over a threshhold by 20%... basically a lot of things that can help you survive depending on each champion.

You always have a horse to get around fast. Originally they had a teleport beacon you could use to get right into the action, similar to symmetra's teleport beacon but anyone on your team can pick it up and place it. I think they found the matches were dragged out too much from that. The horse itself gets you back into the action pretty quickly anyway. You also get knocked off your horse if you're shot, but you can also use it to flank or close in on a target somewhat. Movement off the horse isn't slow, but the horse significantly reduces downtime between the action.

Champion customization really sets it apart. I've played at least 4-5 different ways they've done the card system. But the current one has you pick a deck of 5 cards and each card is either a passive buff or a skill alteration. You could have a very different androxus on both sides of a fight. And you can see what cards everyone is using and adjust your playstyle appropriately. You can't switch decks mid round and you pick your deck after champions are locked in.

I was just thinking how balanced the siege portion of the game had become. Originally I recall the tank just destroying walls without much input from the attacking team. It felt almost guaranteed to take down walls and especially against the vault since it has no turrets to deal auto damage to the tank. But now it feels like the defending team has a real chance to stop it by killing the opponent team before really focusing down the tank.

I'll have to wait and see how the changes turn out. Siege is definitely my favorite mode as it is now.

Round based siege could be potentially better, but I kinda like it how it is now. But I guess this makes sense for burn cards lasting only 1 round. The burn cards sound like they could have a lot of potential.

CB23 already btw (actually landed 4-21, so 3 days between patches lol)

http://forums.paladins.com/showthread.php?6614-Closed-Beta-23-Dragon-Punch-Patch-Notes

Highlights:
new champion: drogoz... flying rocket launcher, right click is a mucus ball that explodes (like the shock rifle combo), his Q sets his rocket to unleash all its remaining rockets on the next shot, his ult charges forward 1 shotting someone if it connects

Speciality card system:
Basically each character has 2 speciality cards that cannot be used in the same deck. Some cards were combined to make it worth using. Others, like gunship, was already good enough to become a speciality card. This helps diversify deck builds.

Siege mode:
Need to score 5 points rather than 4. This guarantees at least 3 rounds.

Card changes:
Many, but primarily they took out a lot of auto-include stuff like damage buffs. Cards that essentially buffed damage all the time are among the casualty list. Engagements are slightly longer as a result. Also in case you're worried, Fernando doesn't have insane health anymore either.

Various balance changes as well. Skye buffed pretty big as far as I can tell.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I got in today and I just finished my first match and it's.... really good? I won't give it a glowing review just yet but first impressions are very positive. Time to play some more.

(I already like the match history feature, Blizzard please...)

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
I know it had a 100k game at DreamHack Summer (dat smite money?) but really don't know much. it looks sort of decent, really, bt havent played it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Uploaded my first ever match, I went in totally blind and didn't even know the abilities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pdzrgl-K4A

I've since done a few more matches and I'm loving it, the card system which lets you customise your abilities and create "builds" is really great, although a future balancing nightmare I'm sure. £15.99 for all heroes is a really good deal too.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing this more and I really like it, it's just so fun. The biggest problem will be it's F2P, which means it'll be flooded with toxic kids and cheaters.

One thing I really like compared to Overwatch is the ultimates aren't insanely strong, you're not going to win a match because of them, they're just another fun ability to use on a timer (they seem to charge faster than OW). I also love how there aren't dedicated healers which lets be honest are mandatory in Overwatch.

One thing I really don't like is the fact there's a semi stealth hero, she's already getting annoying just like every stealth character in every game that has one.

I'm going to keep playing and decide if I want to drop the £16 for all current and future heroes which is a fantastic deal, then I can spend all my gold on cards instead so I can sort out a few decent loadouts. So far I'm in love with Cassie, she's what Hanzo should have been.

Top Bottom