• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Side Of Gaming - The Females Fighting Back

Mman235

My guess is that Wu said "that episode about us" and people said "NO THIS IS ABOUT ANITA, YOU STUPID BITCH" =P

That's literally what every vague explanation of why she's wrong seems to be, so typical straw-clutching GG bullshit that's completely irrelevant to anything regardless of whether it's "correct".

BY2K

Membero Americo
Some comments are talking about Wu lying about a SVU episode. What's this about?

I thought the episode was inspired specifically by Anita Sarkeesian, so maybe that's what they mean. It doesn't matter though because the same crap has happened to both of them.

I never said anything derogatory to anyone while playing games online or offline. If I ever catch my son spewing vile crap at others while playing, he's going to be severely punished.

This is asinine. No one should be threatened.

Platy

That's literally what every vague explanation of why she's wrong seems to be, so typical straw-clutching GG bullshit.

It takes a very specific kind of hate to remember that someone lied about a tv episode on a youtube comment of a video that don't even mention said episode or series in general

It's super frightening, honestly. It's hard to believe that, in 2016, there are still quite a few male gamers that aren't comfortable with sharing a digital space with the opposite sex. My first thought is that they're mostly young kids, under 17, that are the culprits. That's not really the case though, is it?

As someone said in another post, it's the coupling of anonymity and the lack of consequence. Until these people are held responsible for their actions, it's hard to imagine a future where this kind of stuff doesn't happen as regularly as it does today.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yep. This is the monster the games industry has created by marketing almost exclusively to boys and now men. It doesn't help that they've been almost completely silent on issues like GG because they're scared of losing customers.

Personally I think that its mainly a result of internet culture generally, and social media particularly, empowering idiots.

The key thing for me is not what such people say, but the fact that they believe they can get away with saying the things they do.

Bottom line, the quasi-anonymity offered by internet media emboldens many people beyond what they'd feel secure saying in the real-world. Sometimes that's a good thing as it allows dissidents to speak their minds without persecution, but much more often its just going to allow some thoughtless little shit to talk smack that they wouldn't dare to do elsewhere.

Twitter is unacceptably slow at coming up with solutions for protecting against and discouraging harassment.
Just recently, over a year after Gamergate diarrhea'd, and a year after the then CEO admitted they're terrible at handling abuse, Twitter announced they've formed a trust and safety council with the purpose of providing input "as we develop products, policies, and programs".

Who knows how long before anything tangible comes out of that. And these social media companies are the ones who have to step up to protect people in the interim, as the justice system catches up to how the internet works, which is going to take even longer. None of which was helped by the handling of this case.

Don't know how Microsoft et al. enforce rules and policies. Any of the voice messages in this video ought to result in at least lifetime account and console bans. Don't know if it's possible to suspend specific functionality, i.e. communication. That would probably be ideal. But in reality I expect they probably didn't even get a 24h suspension.

Realistically, the only way to end this is to end anonymity. People only say these terrible things because they believe they can get away with it. But I think this cure may be as bad as the disease? No one should be treated like that, the things these women were told were terrible, but anonymity is critical to the Internet, so I don't know what the answer is...

we already have decades of evidence showing that this is not true.

poodaddy

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed haha. But otherwise a good video that will probably change absolutely nothing. :(

Yup, sadly you're right. My wife will continue to refrain from using her mike during online play because of cretins asking her to show her tits or calling her a bitch because there are no harsh consequences for doing so and the moderation of these services is a fucking joke. And anonymity only enhances the lack of consequences. I get why anonymity is necessary but it also makes it that much easier and less risky to be a complete waste of breath on the internet. The shit literally causes suicides; disgusting, weak little boys masquerading as men out there.

lupinko

Realistically, the only way to end this is to end anonymity. People only say these terrible things because they believe they can get away with it. But I think this cure may be as bad as the disease? No one should be treated like that, the things these women were told were terrible, but anonymity is critical to the Internet, so I don't know what the answer is...

Nah, even without the anonymity stupid people still say stupid things.

Ending anonymity doesn't solve the root problem. I don't see this kind of sexism, misogyny and harassment in other industries. There is something very wrong with the gaming industry and that is what needs to be solved.

This tells me that you aren't looking all that much into other industries. Lauren Mayberry (lead singer of CHVRCHES) in particular has written several articles about how bad sexism and misogyny is in the music industry. Other female singers have also written about what it's like to be doing a show at music festivals as a female performer. And there are countless other examples. That's not to downplay what's going on in gaming, because something obviously needs to be done. But I often see people claim that this is unique to gaming which is just false.

poodaddy

This tells me that you aren't looking all that much into other industries. Lauren Mayberry (lead singer of CHVRCHES) in particular has written several articles about how bad sexism and misogyny is in the music industry. Other female singers have also written about what it's like to be doing a show at music festivals as a female performer. And there are countless other examples. That's not to downplay what's going on in gaming, because something obviously needs to be done. But I often see people claim that this is unique to gaming which is just false.

Very true; it's a problem in office settings as well. I won't get into specifics, but I was a bookkeeper in my last job and I witnessed a very good HR employee being denied a promotion for seemingly no reason. Well I was friends with the manager, and he told me behind closed doors why he did it. Apparently he had become friends with the employee in question while her husband was deployed and he though they could become friends with "benefits." She shot him down and he claimed she was leading him on by having lunches with him and such, so he denied her the promotion because she was, in his words, a "prude bitch." I'm no longer employed at this company, nor am I friends with said manager incidentally. Sexism is prevalent everywhere, but it can be difficult to nail down sometimes as it's hard to prove.

Walpurgis

Banned

I didn't know that about female singers. However, I was thinking more along the lines of full-blown extreme conservative movements like GamerGate. I'm not seeing what is happening in gaming anywhere else.

Wouldn't that go relatively hand-in-hand? You can't punish someone if you don't know who they are.

Not sure if this been addressed but Facebook is the perfect example of taking away anonymity and having almost no consequences, the same with Twitter. People don't care what they post if there isn't some sort negative feedback associated with it. It is even worse if said posters are friends with people who share the same views since they just prop them up.

Ivan 3414

He's talking complete bullshit, wish BBC didn't get him involved.

June 2015 he was saying this...

http://youtu.be/xigcnzNz2EE

Which in turn the guys sister made a video response about it. KSI removed the video and apologised, only because he was getting so much heat for it.

This strengthens the argument that he's a d-bag rather than being on the level of the asocial nerds who actively harrass and threaten women online

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
One of the reasons I never refer to myself as a "gamer." Because holy shit such a large contingent of the community is absolutely toxic to minorities and women to the point of sociopathy. Parents have done an absolutely terrible job at raising their kids. Fucking LOVE the part where Alanah Pearce talks about straight up telling the mothers of those kids who do that shit. "Kids will be kids" is never and will never be an excuse for sociopathic behavior.

It's the say ugly shit ---> get threatened by being exposed as an ugly little shit --> double down to save ugly little shit ass --> attack random innocents deal again. Hopefully we're close to a point where they have so little backing that they don't feel confident in indulging and reinforcing in their mind that behavior is "normal".

There's a comfort some derive this mentality without doing any research that confuses me.

One of the reasons I never refer to myself as a "gamer." Because holy shit such a large contingent of the community is absolutely toxic to minorities and women to the point of sociopathy.

I wouldn't bother worrying about what someone who makes a snap judgment based on a label thinks about you.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
My first thought is that they're mostly young kids, under 17, that are the culprits. That's not really the case though, is it?
Sadly, no.

As someone said in another post, it's the coupling of anonymity and the lack of consequence. Until these people are held responsible for their actions, it's hard to imagine a future where this kind of stuff doesn't happen as regularly as it does today.
Anonymity is optional, really. As has been stated, people have sent torrents of abuse under their real names. It's lack of consequence.

Just look at this article by Arthur Chu (which, among other things, shows how Gamergaters are still profiting off the backs of harassment victims), where he shows Zoe Quinn's ex blatantly and publicly said on Twitter that he wouldn't even bother to abide by the restraining order Zoe filed against him. Consequences for his violations? Absolutely nothing. He's getting off scot-free and Zoe's life is still a mess. :(

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
One of the reasons I never refer to myself as a "gamer."
I don't get it. If you call yourself a gamer and destroy the negative stereotypes, you'd be doing a world of good, don't you think?

Eg: Not all gamers (hashtag) are misogynistic maniacs, so why would you want to disassociate from the whole, when it's just a festering portion that needs to go?

Artdayne

It's not strictly a gaming thing, not in the least bit. Yes, anonymity plays a large role. Watch Philip Zimbardo's TED talk on the Psychology of Evil to get an idea. When you have anonymity, no reason to fear reprisal, and particularly a competitive environment (competitive games) where emotions can get the best of a person, people will be uninhibited in saying the nastiest things they can.

It's really one of the drawbacks of the internet. I don't really know how much worse it is for women than it is for men, I'm sure there are some unique challenges no question, but I can certainly tell you that people will not refrain from using homophobic language, racist language, telling you to kill yourself if you are a man as well.

The best things that can be done is education, knowledge and somehow there needs to be more done to curb that sort of destructive behavior on the internet.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I wouldn't bother worrying about what someone who makes a snap judgment based on a label thinks about you.
I rarely talk about my gaming habits irl, (instead it'll be how something got made), so it all works out.

I don't get it. If you call yourself a gamer and destroy the negative stereotypes, you'd be doing a world of good, don't you think?

Eg: Not all gamers (hashtag) are misogynistic maniacs, so why would you want to disassociate from the whole, when it's just a festering portion that needs to go?
Not worth it in my opinion.

I rarely talk about my gaming habits irl, (instead it'll be how something got made), so it all works out.

Not worth it in my opinion.

That's a self-perpetuating prophecy. If everyone ashamed of this behaviour starts closeting their gamer identities (and let's face it, you're still a game whether you admit to it publicly or not), there's less of us to fight both the negative stereotype and the idiots within that poison the term.

At some point every minority has to stop hiding for the furure benefit of everyone in it. Gamers aren't close to having it the worst, I think we can take a bit of prejudice when others face infinitely worse.

Top Bottom