• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Non-native English speakers who've learned the language by playing video games...

Mr Rivuz

I've started with A Link To The Past, not too much text to translate, i just searched on a dictionary every single word trying to understand the most i could of every single sentence. Then i passed to Secret of Mana, and more text heavy games like Breath of Fire 2 and Final Fantasy VI... Soon i had no problems understanding almost everything, only downside was i became the official translator for my friends when they were playing rpgs they couldn't understand ^^

How does this even work? I've tried watching TV shows and playing games to improve my Greek but just because I'm hearing it, it doesn't mean that I have an accurate idea of what they're saying.

How old were you when you started trying that? It usually helps when you start it from a young age.

Not much to say, really. When I was young, I used to play a lot of Nintendo games (mostly from the N64 era). As I didn't have internet back then, I had to either use walkthroughs on magazines, or figure things out on my own, which required at least a basic understanding of english. So I always carried an english-portuguese dictionary with me, and every word I did not know the meaning of, I looked on the dictionary. It also helped that I was always naturally good at understanding the context of words. Building vocabulary + analyzing context of senteces eventually made me pretty good at understanding english.

However, while I'd say that I understand 99.99% of what I read in english, I still have to improve my writing a lot.

Yeah, it was adventure games for me, too. Though in the beginning I played some of the older Sierra games in which you still had to write commands yourself like in old text adventure games. King's Quest IV took me an eternity, but it certainly helped me to learn English. The Lucasfilm/Lucasarts games came later.

Oh I actually remember playing some old text adventures on my neighbour's PC back in the day. My English was very basic at that point, but I still tried. There's one game, I don't remember the name, but there was a broken bridge and to cross it you had to use a vine. I didn't know what a 'vine' was in English, but that's where I learned about it.

Not much to tell really. I started playing video games and watching TV in English very young so that + school having an English class is pretty much the reason why I can use it today.

this, i ruined it though when i discovered internet forums and my rap music phase

MGS was the game that really made me push myself though, dictionary and all

still, i couldnt pass the area after the elevator of the first level for years

I remember playing Ocarina of Time asking my father to translate what was going on. The thing is that my father didn't speak english all that well so the game went a lot differently when I played it again years later. However, I have a relative who lives in Boston and I used to visit all the time. Those english classes were the only thing that kept me from starving or shit.

It happened with other games as well, but OoT is the one that's clearer in my head.

YourMaster

I can't imagine being able to do this.

I am a native English speaker who has always struggled greatly with learning a second language. In school, I took five consecutive years of French.
The idea of reading text in a language different from my own until it starts to make sense sounds impossible. I can't even imagine the progression. How does something completely alien and nonsensical become something you can understand?

I was thought German and French in school for 5 years as well, and speak neither. German is slowly starting to come now I live here.
You can't compare a very bad way in learning a language (study, school) to a very good way: being surrounded by it, being forced to use it/work with it.

I'm sure you as a native English speaker have learned many new words from video games, some real, some nonsensical. Think of weapon system, gamer lingo, whatever.
Also don't forget that most people learning English from videogames have another European language as their primary language, helping immensely.

The way videogames are structured is actually helpful, I think the first text-heavy games I played were the zelda games, consider the JUMP spell, if you don't know what the word means you still only got the two spells so you figure out quickly that that spell causes you to jump higher, and only when you've mastered that skill, and learned the word as well, is the third spell introduced.

I already studied English in school and middle school, and I was quite good at it, but not excellent. Plus, it felt like, well, something compulsory rather than a pleasure.

Cue start of high school. I loved Star Ocean 2 (which was (terribly) localized in my native language, French), so I bought Star Ocean 3. The problem was the game was in English only.
So instead of 10 hours of normal play, I did 15 by painfully talking to every NPCs and checking my dictionnary each time I didn't understand something. I remember the codex having some difficult words I didn't even know in French ha ha.

It was one of my best decisions in life. It allowed me to drastically improve my English skills and opened up a world of localized games, movies, TV series and books I wouldn't be able to enjoy before.

And now on to Japanese !

If only I had the time to.

Fbh

In my case it was when I got into Rpg's, starting with Pokemon
When playing a platformer like Mario or a Shooter like Doom I didn't understand the text but I didn't care too much as understanding what I had to do wasn't that hard and there wasn't much of a story either.

But then I got the Pokemon Yellow bundle for my birthday and that changed. Suddenly I was playing in this world that was filled with all sorts of characters, and almost everyone had something to say. Between guides and the shared knowledge from the school playground I could still advance in the game and I was having a blast with it. But I still felt like I wasn't getting the whole experience. So that got me interested in learning english, I started paying more attention during english class and I probably annoyed my dad (who knows basic english) by constantly asking him the meaning of words.

And then as I discovered stuff like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy my interest in really understanding everything that was going on just kept growing.

Several years later, in middle and higschool, I started reading books in english (the ones I could find. It was actually cool as you could get Harry Potter books months before they were released in Spanish). And I also started posting in english gaming forums (RIP Gametrailers, btw). The mix of frequently reading and writing in english really helped me get much better at it.

Linkark07

Banned
I don't know to be honest. I remember my first games were FPS like Doom, ROTT, Heretic and many others; they have few words. I always called my mother to help me understand what was trying to say the text on the screen.

I admit though, games weren't the only medium I used for learn English. Watching movies subbed in Spanish, later with English subtitles, reading books in English and on the internet, they really helped me.

So yeah, games, movies, books and tv shows helped me learn English.

Moved to America in 1997. Didn't have friends or speak the language, but my aunt bought me a PS1 with FFVII.

I carried the game's guide with me everywhere, and asked my poor ESL teachers definitions for various words as I came across them like Mercenary, summon, or Life-stream.

Really excited to play the remake cause I'm pretty sure there's a lot in the story that I didn't understand then.

Nete

nUf3vod.gif

T3lpo8p.png

X-Wing and TIE Fighter are the first English games I can remember trying to actually understand.

Until then, the games I did play had little to no text, or I could just ignore it, or were translated. XW/TF not only were the first time I needed to know what they were telling me so I could complete the missions, but my 8-years old version also *wanted* to understand all the extra dialogues and lore the games were throwing at me. It was effing Star Wars after all.

One year later I started to receive English lessons at school, although my knowledge of the language didn't really take off until we got internet at home around 1996.
I still suck :(

I mostly imrpove my English vocabulary through watching TV series and reading novels but if asked about the first game from which I actually got English-learning experience, then it's Leisure Suit Larry.

Leisure_Suit_Larry_bar.png

My brother attempted to play through it as I watched and every time we got stuck, we asked for our mother's advice. I learned some new verbs from it and it was the first time I became aware of English tenses as I asked why was a word written as "sent" and not "send."

It's also how I learned what a condom is.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Of course I didn't leard english from playing games, but they are part of the english media I consumed which improved my vocabulary and pronounciation.

Mosse

Neo Member
Damn! I thought this thread sounded interesting, and as soon as I opened it I got hit with a big wave of nostalgia.

I'm from sweden and one of my first memories is playing Fate of Atlantis with my dad. I didn't understand much at all, but I've loved Indiana Jones since then. When I was old enough to read I started playing it by myself with a dictionary. So that and Pokémon blue was a huge part of me learning english.

clem84

Gold Member
Not much to tell really. I started playing video games and watching TV in English very young so that + school having an English class is pretty much the reason why I can use it today.

That goes for me too. I played tons of games when I was a kid so I was exposed to English mainly from that. TV shows and movies also helped a lot. The few English classes we had in elementary school also helped but in retrospect, they were pretty bad. They didn't teach you much of anything.

Then when I got the internet in 1994 (I'm really showing my age here) and started visiting web boards and newsgroups, and for the first time actually writing in English as opposed to reading only, that also gave me a serious boost.

English was never much of a problem for me. I learned it quickly in school, but on a low level.

Zelda Ocarina of Time helped me develop my English skills further. I played through it in German maaaany times. I basically knew everything in the game so I started playing it in English. I didn't know how to speak the words exactly (always remember: the "w" in "sword" is silent), but I knew what the words meant at least. So my English reading and writing skills improved A LOT by playing games I knew inside and out in English.

As I said, Zelda OoT was the main culprit, but also Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie helped me a lot in that regard.

I think it's pretty great that people can do this. World getting smaller and cross cultural communication and all that good stuff. I have a question though. For all of you non-native speakers, while you were still learning English would you have liked the games to be written at a more basic level so that they are easier to understand? Or does having more complex grammar and vocabulary encourage you to practice and level up English ability?

data

I learned English when I was 10 years old due to some browser MMO, then I really improved it when I started getting into a F2P MMO called Archlord, a few years later.

Dargor

Since I was young, I always preferred playing RPGs, so I think that helped me alot, cuz they were full of words and sometimes those words had a picture of something attached to them, so it would help to reinforce their meanings.

And I also liked watching movies, animes, cartoons with subtitles instead of dubbed, so that helped me too.

Lastly, I knew that it was impotant for me to always keep perfecting it, so I'm always reading
books, magazines, etc, in english.

I would say that, nowadays, my english is pretty good hehehhe.

I am a native English speaker who has always struggled greatly with learning a second language. In school, I took five consecutive years of French. But my instruction was very poor, I don't remember any discernible difference between French I and French IV. It was just basic vocabulary and sentence translation. For five years!

So, today, I speak no French. I can read some of it, but I couldn't converse with somebody else. I couldn't understand it if it was spoken to me. Those five years were essentially useless.

The idea of reading text in a language different from my own until it starts to make sense sounds impossible. I can't even imagine the progression. How does something completely alien and nonsensical become something you can understand? At what point do symbols, which you don't know how to read and don't know what they could mean, start to make sense?

I've always wondered about this. I've watched tons of foreign films and always watch them with subtitles. But out of all the Korean, French, Japanese, and Italian films I've watched over the years, I have picked up none of the language. If you asked me for even one Korean word, I couldn't give you one.

I've always been really insecure about that. I love my language and love the ambiguity and flexibility of English. But it's 2016. Only being able to speak English is embarrassing.

I wish that I, too, could have learned a different tongue by playing Monkey Island.

I think you need to use the language you're learning outside classes. I'm the same with spanish: 3 years of highschool with spanish classes and I still have to use english or french when I want to communicate with people in Barcelona :p
English on the other hand, with games and anime/manga, I was able to use it and by doing that improving myself. But since all media are in english I can understand if you don't find a motivation to use another language (maybe find a cute french girlfriend x) )

Joqu

I learned English through Pokemon games exclusively, not from any other games and not from English TV either and it was way before English got taught to us at school.

But I have no idea how I did it. I mean the language in those is easy enough but I didn't know any English at all the time, the games were text only and I had no one around me to help me out with it.

Now admittedly my speaking still isn't up to par because of this and my grammar wasn't very good either, that only improved later on through the internet, but it's still crazy to me that I learned a language through playing video games only.

Probably helped that I was a little kid. I sure as hell couldn't do it now.

royox

You can't even imagine the strugle of being 6 years old, Spanish, and play Zelda OOT in english.

The most stupid thing could have you stuck weeks. Finding the fucking hoockshot to be able to enter to the Forest Temple was a miracle.

I also learned A LOT of words with Pokémon Yellow (It was in spanish but my uncle gave me an american version 2 months before it was released in spain).

My godmother used to be an English teacher and I remember her to be very impressed by the fact I could perfectly repeat the lines from the introduction of the original Resident Evil.

-I am going with you, Chris is an old partner, you know...
-Barry, look out it's a monster!
-Let me take care of it !

Video games are not the only source but they have played their part in teaching me English.

indosmoke

"Time up", "checkpoint", "press any key" and (more importantly) "please wait" and "loading" were among the very first words that I could ever read, around the age of of 5. I guessed their meaning but I wasn't sure, obviously :)

And of course when I started learning English at school (8 years later...), playing RPGs helped me a lot.

eso76

C64 and Amiga taught me English, back when videogames in my country didn't get translated.
And of course English videogame magazines I used to buy from a local bookstore.
It was like reading stuff from the future back when our magazines were for the most part 2 months old translations of their English counterparts.

Everyone in my class had attended English classes regularly in primary, I was the only one who had not, and yet by the age of 10 I was by far the best in the whole school, by a large margin even, and was always ahead of others throughout my career as a student.

WinterX

Banned
I'm the one. Started with NES games when I was about 7-8. In '95 I was totally amazed by Warcraft II and later by Diablo - unfortunately my father was angry at me for playing such violent games hehehehe. I'm also addicted to watching American tv series and movies.

Love English language, love American culture.

royox

"Time up", "checkpoint", "press any key" and (more importantly) "please wait" and "loading" were among the very first words that I could ever read, around the age of of 5. I guessed their meaning but I wasn't sure, obviously :)

And of course when I started learning English at school (8 years later...), playing RPGs helped me a lot.

I had the "PICKED UP SOME AMMO" stuck in my head as a 5 years old xD

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Pretty much started watching a lot of english tv-series and playing a lot of games at a young age so I guess thta made me more proficient at english but what tought me the most was talking with pre-pubescent north english lads on xbox live when playing halo.
It really made me learn how to speak english, well english with some weird af accent but it's still english and it has influenced how I speak now a lot, well I don't sound pre-pubescent but I do have a pinch of that accent they used to speak.

But what I do know is that my english skills is a lot higher than it would be if I wasn't gaming.

ReyVGM

The idea of reading text in a language different from my own until it starts to make sense sounds impossible. I can't even imagine the progression. How does something completely alien and nonsensical become something you can understand? At what point do symbols, which you don't know how to read and don't know what they could mean, start to make sense?

I wish that I, too, could have learned a different tongue by playing Monkey Island.

I don't know how it was for people that speak a language that uses a different alphabet than the greek one, but anyone that speaks a latin based language (spanish, italian, french, portuguese) can at least read english (even if they don't understand it). Also, english uses a lot of latin/greek words that are almost universal, such as telephone, graphics, cardiologist, etc.
So just for that, the barrier is way lower than someone that speaks an asian language or something like that.
The sentence structure is almost the same, you could even translate things literally if you wanted, unless it had slang or something.

But the most important thing is that most, if not all of us, learned when we were children playing or reading something we actually loved.
When you are a kid, you absorb everything, since not even your native language still engraved in your brain, you are able to accept things that are different.

That's my take on it.

Oltsu

Banned
Played enough Age of Empires 2 as a kid to ace all my elementary school English exams.

And later on in middle school I'm sure that gaming helped too however at that point TV shows without local subtitles (star trek for the most part) and the internet were doing most of the work.

Rpgs and Terry Pratchett are the main reasons I learned english lol

Currently trying to do the same with german.
Es ist aber nicht so einfach, lokalisierte Spielen zu finden

reminder

I'm german and while I had english in school, I've learned a LOT more from video games. Especially since in the 90's there were many games not translated into german, and I've played many of those games with a dictionary besides me. Of course movies and the internet also helped improving my english, but playing games was the biggest help for me.

krang

Kinda the opposite, but I switched AC:Brotherhood to subtitles to try and help me as I was trying to learn Italian at the time.

desu

I had English in school but my grades were mediocre at best. Then I finally got a 56k modem and access to the internet. From there on I never looked back. Started to play Snes games in English that were never released in my country (CT, FF ...), read guides and discussions on Gamefaqs to get through games. Additionally I started watching tv shows (as it sometimes took years for some shows to get there) and reading books. My grades significantly improved, even though I stopped investing too much time into studying for school related subjects in English.

Today I hardly visit any forums that only have people speaking my native language, all my consoles are running with English langauge options and the only media that I sometimes consume in my native language are shows/movies.

wazoo

video games + forums + tv shows : Does not help for the accent, but for being fluent you can not be in a better place.

Last day, I was looking at a US tv show and at some point my girl told me the subtitles were in english, I did not even remark.

latest

This dude right here taught me English along side Disney films. When the PS1 released, things got even better. Way later in my life though I've played LucasArts adventure games and man, I would have loved them alot back in the day, doesn't mean I don't do now.

Pokemon (Gold) and Final Fantasy IV
I replayed these games so many times and learned the script by heart with a 3kg dictionary on my lap.

Croash

I wasn't very good at English until I decided to check out that popular online game featured everywhere on Miniclip.com

So here we are, February 9 2005. I was 12 and RuneScape was a pretty big step towards the unknown for my French self.

Being forced to play a game in English for the first time meant I had to keep learning more if I wanted to make any progress. There were people to meet, quest dialogue to read and a ton of common vocabulary I would absorb over the weeks, months and years I spent playing my first and only MMO.

Exactly a month after I started playing, I went to England as part of a school trip. The teen whose family I stayed with was also playing RuneScape, and we kept in touch like that for the rest of the year (until he tried to scam me! #NeverForget)

All of this combined gave me all the motivation I needed to get serious about learning English. Movies, games, you name it. School was a breeze ;)

Fast forward 11 years and I'm an English Community Manager for a popular F2P mobile game.

Thanks video games. <3

english is not my second language but along with music, games were the biggest resource i had to learn english

i vividly remember trying to understand the words in the menus and write down the effect of each line

"New game" -> this start the game

and so on

SoldnerKei

learned pronunciation with music and tv shows, but what I learn from videogames was to read it.

Zelda Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy 7 and Pokemon were the games that I played the most and all had bunch of text, if I didn't know something I just look it up, thou I gotta say that even so I got stuck for a while sometimes.

Danneee

I learned English by reading lots and lots of english video games and cuputer magazines as a kid.
There never were that much text in console games back then.

Zelda: Link's awakening gave me a good boost as a kid, as it was the first game with a language barrier that needed to be taken down.

In any case, once I had enough knowledge to handle more complex stuff I began playing everything in English... Which is a major pissoff when I buy something to discover it is not multilingual (Valkyrie Profile 2). Final Fantasy IX was a major pain as I had always been used to the English magic spells names.

Ahnez

Me!

It was probably with Zelda

I got stuck so many times before starting to understand what the characters were saying lol

Top Bottom