• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
God I hate bulking. 3 hours to hit 2kcal. I'm going to eat an entire pizza and then all bets are off.

Think I'll probably be doing peanut butter again. =/

Anyone have that crazy high calorie oats + olive oil smoothie recipe to hand? I thought I had it bookmarked.

Calderc

God I hate bulking. 3 hours to hit 2kcal. I'm going to eat an entire pizza and then all bets are off.

Think I'll probably be doing peanut butter again. =/

Anyone have that crazy high calorie oats + olive oil smoothie recipe to hand? I thought I had it bookmarked.

Welcome to my world of pain. My current go to is 400ml whole milk, scoop of protein, 2 scoops of oats, giant tablespoon of peanut butter, a banana and some olive oil. Sometimes I chuck a spoonful of Nutella in or some ice cream.

3 fucking times a day. Ugh.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I better start cherishing this life because I can confirm through no fault of my own that I have indeed sold my soul to the devil. It makes zero sense to me how I had 4 cheat days all well over 8k and 2 over 10k in the last 8 days and weigh 0.8 pounds more. Yes I lifted every single day and my job is tough but come on?? Plus no cardio.

In summary:

SAT: 177.6lbs
Sat, Sun, Mon= 8-10k calories
Tues= 1500
Wed= 8k
Thurs & Fri= 1500
SAT: 178.4

Szu

I better start cherishing this life because I can confirm through no fault of my own that I have indeed sold my soul to the devil. It makes zero sense to me how I had 4 cheat days all well over 8k and 2 over 10k in the last 8 days and weigh 0.8 pounds more. Yes I lifted every single day and my job is tough but come on?? Plus no cardio.

In summary:

Tues= 1500
Wed= 8k
Thurs & Fri= 1500

This would be the male equivalent of a supermodel who mentions that she never seems to gain any weight as she carves into another side of beef.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
This would be the male equivalent of a supermodel who mentions that she never seems to gain any weight as she carves into another side of beef.
images

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

In summary:

Tues= 1500
Wed= 8k
Thurs & Fri= 1500

Has everything to do with your insulin sensitivity I would imagine. If you did that every day, you wouldn't work that way anymore and pack on weight. But the way you are now, it's just a hiccup.

AnAnole

Has everything to do with your insulin sensitivity I would imagine. If you did that every day, you wouldn't work that way anymore and pack on weight. But the way you are now, it's just a hiccup.

I kind of agree with this. I didn't start getting fat until I ate like a fat ass every day. I think there's a tipping point. It sounds ridiculous, but I think it's true.

Faith

I started lifting exactly 1 year ago. Didn't expect to get this strong in such a short time! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H46EOEZv5tg (short video of my lower body workout from yesterday).

March 2015 (80kg)
sdf2yq2n.jpg

July 2015 (70kg) / February 2016 (80kg)
asyd5ra6j.jpg

First it was more about fitness and bodybuilding. But I think I have much more potential in powerlifting. I'm unsure about my future plans. Trying to do both at the same time right now.

Faith

Thx guys. Thanks to one of my best friends I didn't waste a single day in the gym. He explained to me that progressive overload and training volume are the key factors. I learned what IIFYM is, how to adjust my diet for my goals, how to bulk without gaining too much fat and how to keep progressing in compound exercises without stalling. In the last 12 months I've read 100+ articles and studies from guys like Eric Helms, Brad Schoenfeld, Layne Norton, Lyle McDonald, Andy Morgan, Menno Henselmans, Greg Nuckols and other guys. My training is based on bench press, pull ups, incline bench press or overhead press, rowing in my upper body workout and squats and deadlifts in my lower body workout. I added some isolation/assistance work to keep training volume high without stressing my CNS too much. I just kept doing the same thing every week without changing any major parts of my training. Here and there I switched an isolation exercise because it felt better. But I did some mistakes like not listening to body signals causing me to get injured a couple of times. Nothing really bad, just things like pain in front delts, wrists, lower back and tights. Now I'm more intelligent and less ego-driven, something really important that I learned in this time.

To summarize what I think was they key:

- High frequncy training. Upper/Lower body split routine with 4-5 workouts/week.
- Focus on progressing in compound lifts, especially bench press, squat and deadlift.
- Always strive for good form. Leave your ego at home.
- Do as much volume as you can recover from and use different rep ranges for different exercises. 3-8 reps for the big 4 lifts (bench, OHP, squat, deadlift) and 8-15 for everything else.
- 2g of protein/kg of bodyweight, 1g of fat/kg of bodyweight and rest carbs. Forget clean eating and meal timing, just hit your macros at the end of a day or week.
- Stay in the body fat range of 10-18%.
- Don't listen to guys that are obviously on steroids. Just do your own thing. What works for them (long time and tension, 5 body part split with low frequency, "destroying" the muscle, training only for the pump, excessive protein consumption) won't work for you.

Fuuuuuuu... That's crazy.

Just another Psychotext Sunday!

My intention was to do it all at low HR, but I found myself at a trail centre about half way through and couldn't resist really going for it on a technical section of trail. :D

Nice to know that you can have a strong fat burning metabolism without the need to go low carb though. You just need to be willing to train it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I started lifting exactly 1 year ago. Didn't expect to get this strong in such a short time! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H46EOEZv5tg (short video of my lower body workout from yesterday).

First it was more about fitness and bodybuilding. But I think I have much more potential in powerlifting. I'm unsure about my future plans. Trying to do both at the same time right now.

Good lord, man. You've got some serious innate talent if you want from untrained and skinny fat to your current physique and being able to deadlift 400 lbs. for reps in just one year.

Impressive as hell.

Probably had the best leg day ever. I feel this week I will bury my damn weights like they wronged me. Feeling good. Glucose on incredible point today.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the Batman mix or me wearing my Batman shirt.

Or... Does it?

Eating 4000+ calories a day and I've lost 7 pounds in 3 days. What the hell am I doing wrong?
cooter alt account spotted.

Faith

Good lord, man. You've got some serious innate talent if you want from untrained and skinny fat to your current physique and being able to deadlift 400 lbs. for reps in just one year.

Impressive as hell.
Thanks! Too bad I'm not that strong in upper body exercises. I have pretty long arms. Bench press 1RM is around 100kg. My arms are lacking in terms of muscular size. Makes it hard to see in clothes that I even lift :(

I never really made any progress until I got my stress levels and sleep amount in check. It's amazing how badly it can screw you up.

You're a beast...i know we focus on lifting here but you're doing some crazy shit cardio-wise.

Thanks. I always like to challenge myself. The fasted stuff is a fairly new experiment.

sphinx

the piano man
Sleep is definitely an issue for me. Surely I'd still be putting on weight though, even if it's just fat?

this

I never really made any progress until I got my stress levels and sleep amount in check. It's amazing how badly it can screw you up.

it was like day and night for me, the difference is astonishing.

When I was jobless but very damn happy, I'd lift 5 days a week and sleep like a koala and eat everything in front of me. I was always seeing progress.

I haven't changed my gym frequency, but I have plenty of stress and a demanding job so I sleep like shit. gains? lol no.

I'm the opposite. When I was jobless I was stressed all the time about NOT having a job, didn't sleep very well. When I have a job, I work 50 hours a week + workout 3-5 days a week, can't wait to sleep now. Sleep is the fuckin' best.

Calderc

Thanks guys, I'd never really thought about sleep being an issue but I'm gonna see my doc about it. Damned if I'm putting all this work in and failing just due to sleep.

On that note, I'm sure I read someone on here suggested ZMA(?) for helping with sleep, worth trying you reckon?

Don't go chemical unless you absolutely have to. It's hard to step back from that.

Give yourself some relax time at least an hour before bed (Turn off electronic devices for that hour etc.). Don't drink coffee for the last four hours. Hell, even practice some deep breathing techniques etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom