• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Alanae

Why are they chopping the game?
$$$$

I'm guessing they're trying to bring over the VNs as luxury good thing (a low amount of people buy them, but at a very high price), but since they can't tempt people by using all sorts of physical pre-order/retailer goodies due of selling the game digitally, they feel like they'd try and it by offering cut out content instead.
And trying to eat their cake too by releasing a gimped cheaper version as well.

$$$$

I'm guessing they're trying to bring over the VNs as luxury good thing (a low amount of people buy them, but at a very high price), but since they can't tempt people by using all sorts of physical pre-order/retailer goodies due of selling the game digitally, they feel like they'd try and it by offering cut out content instead.
And trying to eat their cake too by releasing a gimped cheaper version as well.

But I mean...

Why "cut" things like a sound mode and a CG gallery? These are things people can just look up on the internet. I could see that someone would release VNs with cut routes or sth. similar, but not things that are normal for a VN.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
But I mean...

Why "cut" things like a sound mode and a CG gallery? These are things people can just look up on the internet. I could see that someone would release VNs with cut routes or sth. similar, but not things that are normal for a VN.

I feel like some of these VN devs are shaking us for pennies. They look at Kickstarters, and every new Kickstarter that goes up, gets a higher and higher price tag, due to whatever price they put on the localization costs :/

Can't wait to see the pricetag on the Chun41 mobage :p $175 I'm calling it here!

Knurek

But I mean...

Because putting voices as a DLC didn't help with G-Senjou, so they are trying other things.
I'm perfectly okay with getting a cheaper version if CG gallery and BGM player are the only omissions. Especially if it's significantly cheaper.

Alanae

But I mean...

It's not like theres much else they could cut, without cutting parts of the main game (which would probably cause an outroar, which isn't something you'd want when doing something as reliant as public goodwill as a kickstarter).
Maybe they could cut out features like quick saving or auto read :v

Shizuka

I feel like some of these VN devs are shaking us for pennies. They look at Kickstarters, and every new Kickstarter that goes up, gets a higher and higher price tag, due to whatever price they put on the localization costs :/

Can't wait to see the pricetag on the Chun41 mobage :p $175 I'm calling it here!

Not like you're helping by pledging to every single one of them! I'm still strong here, only backed Muv Luv
for $150.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Not like you're helping by pledging to every single one of them! I'm still strong here, only backed Muv Luv
for $150.

Guity as charged :x I do it all for the rare items... only when physical is available. (You know you give into Gaijinworks each time too :p)

for $150.
I'm with you on this Shizuka. I look at some of these visual novel funding goals and I am just blown away on how much they are able to raise. Point and click adventures games are my main love and some really amazing looking ones will struggle to even make $40000. You VN fans certainly seem to have no problem funding projects with campaigns that would be heavily criticized in other genres, like the fact that people keep backing Sekai Project kickstarters when they still haven't fully delivered on some of their earliest ones. Admittedly, I originally backed Clannad, but I dropped out when there was no Vita and no DRM-Free release. So far I only backed Muv-Luv at the 80$ tier for physical Vita, which I think is reasonable for probably two cartridges. I will wait until that is in my hands before I think about backing another vn.

Knurek

So SP had a livestream today. There's a fuwanovel link but I don't know if I should link that.

Apparently they ARE considering an 18+ Maitetsu. Oh, and dovac's favorite game is FF8. lol

Link to video of it

Any mentions of Root Double?

Ah, of course: "Root Double: They can't say much, it's "complicated," they're working on it, Soon™."

Jazz573

I'm in the first route of baldr sky dive 2, I play slow and gotta make sure I beat sky before heart is out... Doesn't help that ys 8 comes out near baldr heart :(

You know they're unconnected tho, right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clannad Production Update #15

Just a quick update today for everyone.

Side Stories physical master has reached GOLD milestone. Just a few things left on the Steam checklist before the store page goes live. Release date is still pending but it won't be far away.

The paperwork for the items bound for the UK warehouse was completed yesterday. The pallets should be on board a plane by the end of the week.

AU shipment is en route to the AU warehouse. There's still customs inspection and receiving to be done before it's cleared for distribution.

Yuuichi

Seinarukana actually shipped today according to most
and there goes my joke of beating it before JAST released it, lol

For those of you more JP inclined, you'll be pleased to know 千の刃濤、桃花染の皇姫 had its release date announced today: 23/9/16. I, for one, am very excited for another
structurally flawed but
amazingly written August game. There's also an extra expensive premium edition with a drama cd and some other stuff.

blacksark

I don't think this hasn't been said and although it's a rumour, I'm at 90% that it will be real.
Steins gate 0 will come this year.Why do I say this?
It has been listed by a spanish website http://www.xtralife.es/buscar/steins%20gate
but that's not the reason, many people have contacted(like me) the spanish distributor here, badland games(also in the uk and they are going to release games like oli oli)
and the answer was the following:
If xtralife lists it, then it's true ;-) And the fact of us being the distributors is HIGHLY HIGHLY POSSIBLE :)
This has happened other times like when amazon listed broken age pc and they were the distributors(not announced that the game will come to Spain) and the answers were pretty similar and all times turned out to be true.
It's a rumour, but I do think that it's real.

jzbluz

Audi, if you're reading me, give me BL. I know Nitroplus isn't the easiest company to work with, but secure NitroChiral's BL games for the West. I need Sweet Pool and Drammatical Murder.

They already have two BL, which they haven't released yet. Sure, there's no hype behind them and they will probably sell terribly, but I don't see why they would announce another BL, especially one that doesn't cost peanuts to license.

Speaking of BL, I've heard whispering for quite awhile that Lucky Dog 1 is going to be officially licensed. Or maybe is just that the creators are open to licensing their game in English.

grim-tales

The shit is hitting the fan now in Lucid 9, things are getting weird
I really dont like
Shigure who acts all high and mighty and superior, treating me like shit on the bottom of her shoe
or
Natsuki either, is she spying on me, WTF

Marche90

Seinarukana actually shipped today according to most
and there goes my joke of beating it before JAST released it, lol

Wut?

I mean, they didn't even gave a release date or something. What about a DL edition?

Black-Guy-Meme-Question-Marks-01.jpg

Anko

Tokyo Necro Drama CDs...

I was a fool to go looking for a bit more Kiriri x Ethica scenes in the DCDs. They're all comedy and Ethica/Kiriri hardly ever shares any scenes together.

On another note, Nitroplus sure loves their Madoka references. There were a number of references to a lot of their other works in the VN too.

Yuuichi

Wut?

I mean, they didn't even gave a release date or something. What about a DL edition?

DL edition is no go rn as far as I know? The physical supposedly comes with a steam key but I'm not sure if it's actually been greenlit yet?

Basically typical JAST behavior :^)

Yuuichi

.... no comment. I don't think the backers even realize that.

Edit: re-reading it, NOTHING indicates mobage, (unless I'm blind) and says "the PC game"... It's like the same writeup as last time.

I'm with you; I looked it over and came to the same conclusion, which was even more confusing after the prefundia.

Anyone in their right mind should stay far, far away from this; it's an unmitigated disaster.

.... no comment. I don't think the backers even realize that.

Edit: re-reading it, NOTHING indicates mobage, (unless I'm blind) and says "the PC game"... It's like the same writeup as last time.
They've denied the mobage stuff. it seems like it's just a censored release of the PC version.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
You'll just get people defending the kickstarter, just like with the Beastmaster one.

True... some people will defend questionable practices to the end. It's sad, because this and Beastmaster just really want to support the game/vns. I get it, but these publishers suck.

grim-tales

I really like how Lucid 9 is making me think about the relationships in the game, and also some darker, more psychological themes

Jazz573

Oh. Baldr Heart site finally updated. :p Also it's now up for pre-order on some stores. Only Getchu has them right now as far as I can tell.

Edit: Actually just the page went up. You can't order yet.

Edit 2: Seems you can start on April 28th. And according to their Twitter page, a trial will release next week.

Frontwing's Purino Party seems to Huniepop clone.

Lol.

Really looks like a clone based on the position of almost everything.
Some rant:

I like how japanese companies think its the worst if some small businessman uploads a manga chapter or an anime-episode, but when it comes to "stealing" content themselves, everythings okay. Since I worked for a german anime publisher before, I know how japanese publishers themselves dont care if they take part in copyright infringement, usually saying "its just a parody." "its not a big deal", but sue normal people, when they use some P2P software...

Yuuichi

Lol.

Really looks like a clone based on the position of almost everything.
Some rant:

I like how japanese companies think its the worst if some small businessman uploads a manga chapter or an anime-episode, but when it comes to "stealing" content themselves, everythings okay. Since I worked for a german anime publisher before, I know how japanese publishers themselves dont care if they take part in copyright infringement, usually saying "its just a parody." "its not a big deal", but sue normal people, when they use some P2P software...

Content theft and copyright infringement are two different things, which are also separate from cloning games. I'm concerned you don't understand what's legal and what isn't in this case, especially because parody is completely legal in both USA and JP. You're going to have to give some sort of an actual example if you want to me take your claims seriously.

It would be different if they had literally taken the source of hunipop and just replaced assets and text, but even then given permission nothing illegal is occurring.

That said I do think it's a lazy cash in and I'd bet that they're even going to use CG and sound from innocent girl and pure girl, so this almost a no work all profit endeavor for them. Scummy, yea; illegal, far from it.

Oh. Baldr Heart site finally updated. :p Also it's now up for pre-order on some stores. Only Getchu has them right now as far as I can tell.

Edit: Actually just the page went up. You can't order yet.

Edit 2: Seems you can start on April 28th. And according to their Twitter page, a trial will release next week.

I've never played a Baldr game before and the only two things I'm definitely buying in the coming months are 聖鍵遣いの命題 and 千の刃濤, sell me.

Top Bottom