• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Table Top Racing World Tour |OT| Not Micro Machines V6

mreddie

Figured this needed a thread, having played it, it's good for a "free" game on the PS+

Table Top Racing: World Tour is a high-octane combat racer from Nick Burcombe, the co-creator of the Wipeout series. Get yourself behind the wheel of one of twelve fully-customisable miniature cars and attempt to master 24 race tracks in Championship mode. There is a series of Special Events to beat, or you can head online and challenge up to 8 friends to determine the ultimate racer.

TTR: World Tour features:
▪ 8 P v P online multiplayer combat racing - it's both addictive and vindictive!
▪ 6 Unique gameplay modes spread throughout the Championships
▪ 90+ Varied and challenging events
▪ 20 Dynamic circuits based around 5 themed locations
▪ Exclusive "YO! Sushi" endorsed race track
▪ 12 Ultra-cool micro racers inspired by some of the world’s most iconic cars
▪ 8 Cunning Power-Up weapons with both attack and defence capabilities
▪ 6 Super-powerful “Wheel Weapons” to give you the upper hand
▪ 20+ Track exclusive Breakbeat soundtrack by Wes Smith (Juice Recordings, San Diego)

PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT1_114084.jpg

PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT2_114084.jpg

PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT8_114084.jpg

This game is awesome! So accessible and pretty darn polished for a first release. Just played it for two hours, half and half online and offline.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I love this game. Would have paid full price for it, so I'm for sure getting the DLC.

It gives a pretty good first impression, improved upon upgrading the cars. I just hope it doesn't get too grindy or microtransactiony.

Agent X

I like what I've played so far. It's a solid upgrade from the version that I have on PS Vita and Amazon Fire TV Stick, with entirely new content.

The visuals were already pretty nice before (considering the hardware capabilities), but now they look even better with PS4 graphical quality. This edition includes obstacles on the track that can be rammed and scattered about, which adds a little more challenge and fun to the races. I'll be playing this game for quite a while!

ZangBa

I finished the first set is races but found it really boring. Just feels like a kart racer without any of the fun. Just really, really bland.

I'm going to give it a shot. I enjoy this type of game when it's done well. Plus it's free.

Hopefully it's not cheaply difficult near the end.

I forgot I'd downloaded it and may give it a spin soon.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
What I've found can make or break these types of games are the camera angles. Is there a slightly to the side top down view?
Micro Machines worked because of the funky camera angle and tough controls. But the game got so easy in the sequels that almost every round was decided by weapon use. Toybox Turbos is a prime example of the problem.

Not sure where this game stands but I'm not sure if a real MM game has an audience anymore either.

Really enjoying it. Played the first to championships and its obvious that the single player isnt what makes the game fun. I earned enough coins for cars and upgrades then went online. THAT was a blast.

Feel the game had a difficulty spikes mid second set of races. First was easy and couldn't lode. My car just isn't fast enough to win and not sure what to do.

Tried two different cars too.

I'll imagine the game needs to be tried with the top end cars before deciding of the handling is good or bad. Upgrading the truck all the way allowed it to slide around corners.

Feel the game had a difficulty spikes mid second set of races. First was easy and couldn't lode. My car just isn't fast enough to win and not sure what to do.

Tried two different cars too.

I'll imagine the game needs to be tried with the top end cars before deciding of the handling is good or bad. Upgrading the truck all the way allowed it to slide around corners.

I upraded my starter car all the way and didnt jave any more problems getting 3 stars. I know the spike you are talking about. Upgrading fully is really the only way to finish the 2nd Championship playlist.

DJ_Lae

I've enjoyed it enough to blow through the first two sets of championships tonight (just hit the third tier of cars). It's not amazing, but it's clean looking, the handling is okay and races are nice and short.

The cars are cute, too, and I like the Micro Machines aesthetic.

Wish there were more courses, though. I think it has four, with a handful of variants for each theme that don't feel particularly different.

Bishop89

I've enjoyed it enough to blow through the first two sets of championships tonight (just hit the third tier of cars). It's not amazing, but it's clean looking, the handling is okay and races are nice and short.

The cars are cute, too, and I like the Micro Machines aesthetic.

Wish there were more courses, though. I think it has four, with a handful of variants for each theme that don't feel particularly different.

I feel like the only thing I can really appreciate about the game is the background environment. Looks decent and gives the MM vibe, otherwise the tracks themselves are uninspiring imo

Completed the first championship, deleted the game afterwards.
I thought it was a nice PS+ title. Turns out it is very, very bland.
At least the eighties track was a nice thowback for me.

Yup.Played it for a short time...got rid of it.Like others have said,its very very dull/boring/bland/stale...take your pick really,more likely all those things.

Shame I was looking forward to it.

PlayriseDigital

Neo Member
Hey there guys - some interesting comments there and it's always fascinating to see what the reaction is.

Few pointers.

- Splitscreen - we do what to bring this but it's a complex feature that would require a rework of all 20 routes and environment geometry, so got a team of just 8 people and only 2 3D artists, it was too much for launch. 8 Player network was a pre-requisite and so we had to focus on that. We've found a few bugs in multiplayer after it's launched (typical with small>large scale testing) so it will be getting a patch shortly.

- Bland/Delete: Very sorry you feel like that - it's shame you didn't get that instant gratification from it. The action does get spicier once you're through that first championship. You've missed out on Upgrading, Drift mode, SuperWeapons, Wheel Weapons, Supercoins, Special Events, etc.

- Vita: It's not the Vita game at all - that was a port from a mobile game, this is completely new game but it does use our TTR brand of course. (BTW the mobile game just went through 10m downloads and is very highly reviewed).

- Photo mode: we can add that to the list. If enough people support us we will happily bring more features, but we'd rather focus on more gameplay first (like splitscreen)

- To those supporting us with DLC purchases please come to fb.com/Playrise or @PlayriseDigital and talk to us about what you'd like to see improved :) We very much appreciate your custom and we're very open about chatting directly with you.

Best regards and thanks for making this thread whoeve you are.

Playrise
NB

The single player campaign (so far) leaves a lot to be desired. The PvP is where it's at. When 8 people are in a race, especially with a few buddies, becomes intense, and funny.

To the people deleting the game after only touching the single player, try out the network play with some friends and your tune will change. Played it for hours last night.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm actually enjoying the game. I hope the plat is easy enough. I would like to see an option for custom race rules for single player.

Bishop89

Hey there guys - some interesting comments there and it's always fascinating to see what the reaction is.

Few pointers.

- Splitscreen - we do what to bring this but it's a complex feature that would require a rework of all 20 routes and environment geometry, so got a team of just 8 people and only 2 3D artists, it was too much for launch. 8 Player network was a pre-requisite and so we had to focus on that. We've found a few bugs in multiplayer after it's launched (typical with small>large scale testing) so it will be getting a patch shortly.

- Bland/Delete: Very sorry you feel like that - it's shame you didn't get that instant gratification from it. The action does get spicier once you're through that first championship. You've missed out on Upgrading, Drift mode, SuperWeapons, Wheel Weapons, Supercoins, Special Events, etc.

- Vita: It's not the Vita game at all - that was a port from a mobile game, this is completely new game but it does use our TTR brand of course. (BTW the mobile game just went through 10m downloads and is very highly reviewed).

- Photo mode: we can add that to the list. If enough people support us we will happily bring more features, but we'd rather focus on more gameplay first (like splitscreen)

- To those supporting us with DLC purchases please come to fb.com/Playrise or @PlayriseDigital and talk to us about what you'd like to see improved :) We very much appreciate your custom and we're very open about chatting directly with you.

Playrise
NB

Hi,

Sorry for the harsh feedback.

Mechanically I think the game is fine, and the online can be pretty fun.
My main gripe with the game is that the effects aren't "flashy". But i understand that its a small team.

I upraded my starter car all the way and didnt jave any more problems getting 3 stars. I know the spike you are talking about. Upgrading fully is really the only way to finish the 2nd Championship playlist.

I did this and im good at racing games... top 100 times on various games (batman, rc ms etc) but something isnt working right. They are staying ahead of me til the end..... I upgraded the truck and orange car all the way .. not sure what to do now

Speaking on the problems of the, game, tracks are short and not that interesting, handling could be more fun and track design is not good at all.

Track design and overall handling are the biggest gripes but the handling would seem better with much better track design..

I really wish someone would make a game like this with Motorstorm RC handling and traction/speed. Or REVOLT!!!
Re-Volt_7.jpg

I'd take a remaster and part 2 please.

My suggestions for this team is to make jumps, turns and overall track design a lot better. You have a table why aren't I riding on giant boxes, over peoples hands and over poker chips, flimsy card with fun physics? Gotta do more than just this

Ah, other issues are the weapon feedbacks, you can barely tell you hit a car because there is such little visual feedback. Atleast show the explosion of the missle hitting the car as in as soon as it hits, a nice flash or cloud of smoke , right now it is really strange. It's a missel, but it acts like a freeze, or stopping weapon. these are the kind of things you gotta consider when making basic designs imo

I will keep playing if I am able to win these early races.

Shady859

FREE PS+ game but $9 day 1 DLC for the rest of the game. Piss off!

Game is boring and bland, online is a mess. Deleted this junk and moved along.

weekev

Banned
If only it played as well as it looked. I really like the micro machines vibe, but the gameplay is poor. The cars do not feel responsive, the slowdown on collision with anything is bizarre and the weapons are pretty average. I suppose for a £9 game (or free since im on PS+) its ok but I was pretty hyped when I saw how good it looked and maybe with a tiny bit more focus on getting the feel of driving to be better this could have been an awesome game.

What could have been.

If only it played as well as it looked. I really like the micro machines vibe, but the gameplay is poor. The cars do not feel responsive, the slowdown on collision with anything is bizarre and the weapons are pretty average. I suppose for a £9 game (or free since im on PS+) its ok but I was pretty hyped when I saw how good it looked and maybe with a tiny bit more focus on getting the feel of driving to be better this could have been an awesome game.

What could have been.

I would take ridge racer type controls (without the sliding honestly) would be fine, or crusin usa is sort of like that. That is fine... but sliding physics like MS RC is great too but I know they can't do that.

I think they gotta go for great track design , because visually with the high IQ it's nice, I can do without the physics too as long as there are a lot of and well made tracks. If they make a new racer, I hope these issues are delt with.

Shady859

Care to comment on WHY day 1 DLC???

PS+ doesn't pay enough? Just curious.... Your projected sales couldn't have been near what Playstation Plus delivers.

weekev

Banned

Few pointers.

Playrise
NB

I have only played the first championship so I shall retract my comment about bad controls until Ive played drift mode. Have to say its an impressive game for such a small studio, especially from your 2 3d artists who have done a fantastic job on getting that Micro Machines feel.

Gameplay defo needs a bit of work though, feel like the steering is a little sluggish and could maybe do with some animation for when you hit another driver with a weapon rather than just slowing it down a bit.

PlayriseDigital

Neo Member
Care to comment on WHY day 1 DLC???

PS+ doesn't pay enough? Just curious.... Your projected sales couldn't have been near what Playstation Plus delivers.

The business model is a little different from normal with it actually launching on PS Plus. Can't go into details obv, but it's the reason it's available on day one.

Played this for about 90 minutes last night and had fun. Seems like it will be perfect for those short 30 minute arcade like gaming sessions for me.

The Breaking Bad camper is a nice touch, too.

PlayriseDigital

Neo Member
FREE PS+ game but $9 day 1 DLC for the rest of the game. Piss off!

Game is boring and bland, online is a mess. Deleted this junk and moved along.

If you're gonna make a judgement...do it fairly.

1 Extra Location with 4 tracks
4 New cars (16 paint schemes)
3 Full Championships (over 30 new races)
16 Special Events too

for £5.99/$8.49/€7.99

Or two Starbucks coffees.....plus players got the game for free at launch....your sense of entitlement is crazy...

Clearly, you're not a fan and I don't need you to be - but for most people downloading it in May, they are getting 18-20 months of our hard work - for the price of a lunch...I don't feel bad about that.

I see why Neogaf is so avoided by most devs...it's a "tough crowd" here :)

Lulz

Nick

PlayriseDigital

Neo Member
I have only played the first championship so I shall retract my comment about bad controls until Ive played drift mode. Have to say its an impressive game for such a small studio, especially from your 2 3d artists who have done a fantastic job on getting that Micro Machines feel.

Gameplay defo needs a bit of work though, feel like the steering is a little sluggish and could maybe do with some animation for when you hit another driver with a weapon rather than just slowing it down a bit.

1 x Environment Artist
1 x Car Modeler
2 x Senior Programmers
1 x Senior Designer
1 x Game Director/CEO
1 x 2D Artist
1 x Audio Contractor
1 x PR Guru

We've got a couple of snags to fix but I think we've done a good job :)

(Oh and buy some handling upgrades - that will sharpen up the handling a bit)

Bishop89

1 x Environment Artist
1 x Car Modeler
2 x Senior Programmers
1 x Senior Designer
1 x Game Director/CEO
1 x 2D Artist
1 x Audio Contractor
1 x PR Guru

We've got a couple of snags to fix but I think we've done a good job :)

(Oh and buy some handling upgrades - that will sharpen up the handling a bit)
I think the only thing that needs work on is the presentation during a race i.e flashier weapons effects, potentially shortcuts etc..

Mechanically the game is fine in my opinion. Could it be improved? Sure, but im not too worried about that.

Again I understand you guys are a small studio, so its a good effort

VLiberty

Memories of an entire summer spent on MMV4 PS2 in split screen suddenly appeared in my mind reading the title. Actually this is not like MM apart from the setting, but I liked the first tour enough to go on the PSN and buy the Vita version

ps: there was a MMV5??

Not a fan of the music and I must be missing something here, but is there not a drift button? I feel like the game would benefit greatly with one.

I know it the game will get harder but right now it's very easy and doesn't offer much challenge (I've only beaten the first championship). I just wish there was an option to go straight into the deep end. Now I'm just slogging my way through the game waiting for the challenge to come.

Top Bottom