• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Playstation 3 still worth a purchase?

Lemonheap

Banned
Judging by what you've said so far, not really.

The games you listed will be over quick, and the closest thing to those titles actually befall into what's usually the indie selection on PC.

Tanston

I really want to play Ni No Kuni but the price of even a used ps3 is still too high. I'd sign up for psnow in a second if they threw that one on there.

zoozilla

Oddly enough I've also been thinking about getting a PS3 mostly for the PS2 remasters.

Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Shadow of the Colossus and Ico, God of War...

I never owned a Playstation console, so all these would be new to me.

What's the probability that these games will become playable on the PS4?

Lemonheap

Banned
Oddly enough I've also been thinking about getting a PS3 mostly for the PS2 remasters.

Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Shadow of the Colossus and Ico, God of War...

I never owned a Playstation console, so all these would be new to me.

What's the probability that these games will become playable on the PS4?

R&C is already remade on PS4, and Sly Cooper is slated to be as well. God of War already has a remaster on PS4 if you're into that.

Shadow of the Colossus, some say may never be remastered. I would say it is very likely that we'll see a remaster of it on PS4 before The Last Guardian is out. Ico I cannot speak for.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
giphy.gif

Legit stunned at the nonchalant dismissal of all these bona fide classics.

Sorry, nothing personal. I'm not a big fan of shooty McBangBang games, so Uncharted and The Last of Us is out, God of War was always too violent and repetitive for my tastes, Ico and SotC both seemed pretty boring to me when I've watched playthroughs of them, and Persona 4 and Ni No Kuni are RPGs...which I love but I frankly don't have the attention span for anymore.

I'm not claiming any of these games are bad, mind you, they just don't interest me particularly.

I'm looking for more of the quirky Japanese titles and stuff that's otherwise kind of hard to define. Katamari Damacy, Puppeteer, and Folklore are the big draws of the Playstation 3 library for me so far.

Rival

Gold Member
if you can get one cheap there's plenty of fun to be had I guess. I'd probably just go for a ps4 at this point though.

Not a bad console at all (especially near the end), but out of all 3 consoles last gen it's my easily my least favorite.

That said, this was my reaction last time I tried to use the UI and shop:

giphy.gif

For Buying things on my PS3 I completely avoid the store and buy stuff on the Playstation app on my phone. That PSN Store is Horrific. It's so slow.

That's what I suggest you do if you want to buy games on PS3, Don't use the Store on the PS3 just use the App or go on your Computer.

I say go for it OP. If you didn't own a ps3 last gen then I can safely say you missed the best 1st party lineup on either side of the aisle.

Uncharted, TLou, InFamous, God of War, Ratchet & Flank, Killzone, Resistance, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, exclusive indies, Shatter the best fucking brick breaking game of All TIME with a kickass soundtrack.

I can continue on and on and on, suffice to say you've missed out on quite a bit that Sony had to offer. After my OG 60GB ps3 kicked the bucket I considered not getting another ps3, but I had to pick up a super slim. Still too many games to get thru.

I say go for it OP.

UI and PS Store on console is straight ass tho...fuck that it's not even ass...straight cheeks.

ZeroCDR

Definitely, PS3 has a huge library of great games. Now's the time to do it while the disc-based games are still plentiful and dirt cheap. It's also compatible with PS1 discs and loads of digital PS1/PS2 classics on PSN.

edit regarding console price: Wait for the holiday sales or just buy used, the price will probably come down even more once PS4 Neo is announced. I paid about $160 for my top-loading slim model a few years ago brand new.

None of those franchises interest me, unfortunately.

Why not try them, though? I had zero interest in Uncharted until finally playing the collection and it ended up being amazing.

To be honest, though... a lot of stuff worth playing on PS3 can be played on PS4 or PS Now. I just miss LittleBigPlanet 1 & 2, Demon's Souls and MGS4.

AmuroChan

Based on what you listed, it's not worth it. Journey and Flower is on PS4. If you want to play Rachet, play R&C that just came out on the PS4. A few others on the list you can play on the PS4 via PS Now.

I would say the only reason to get a PS3 now is if you love JRPGs, of which there's a huge back catalog on the PS3.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I honestly kind of wish the TV support on the PSP go wasn't so bullshit. If I could play all my PSP games on a TV I'd probably dive a bit deeper into that library but when the games are the size of a postage stamp it kind of kills the appeal of it.

jrcbandit

Just buy a used PS4 instead, if you wait for the PS4 Neo announcement they will go even cheaper. That way you can get your Sony fix. PS3 is a complete waste of time since you owned a 360 and most of the best PS3 exclusive games still worth playing are available on PS4, aside from Demon Souls.

For JRPGs, the Xbox 360 was a far better option for high quality exclusive ones (sorry the PS3 Tales games all sucked horribly compared to Vesparia). Sure PS3 had a ton of mid to jank tier ones, many of which have now been ported to Steam. The better strategy JRPGs have also been ported to Steam like VC and Disgae. I could never finish Ni No Kuni because of the horrible party AI.

Schryver

Based on what you listed, it's not worth it. Journey and Flower is on PS4. If you want to play Rachet, play R&C that just came out on the PS4. A few others on the list you can play on the PS4 via PS Now.

I would say the only reason to get a PS3 now is if you love JRPGs, of which there's a huge back catalog on the PS3.

Can't argue with you on Journey and Flower, but you skip the other 5 good Ratchet games? (Maybe 4 if you play the new one instead of the original)

Not to mention the 4 Sly Cooper games, 3 Jak and Daxter games, God of War 1 and 2 (and 3 if no PS4), Metal Gear Solid Trilogy, Vanquish (if no Xbox360), Kingdom Hearts games, Demon's Souls, etc, etc
edit: Realized some of the shooter ones might be out based on what OP has said but still lots of stuff you could miss

I'm looking for more of the quirky Japanese titles and stuff that's otherwise kind of hard to define. Katamari Damacy, Puppeteer, and Folklore are the big draws of the Playstation 3 library for me so far.

Seems like there are still plenty of PS3 titles that fit into this mold:

Afrika
Catherine
3D Dot Game Heroes
Tokyo Jungle
Yakuza series

PS2 Classics:
Disaster Report
God Hand
Maximo
Chulip
Trapt

Frankly, Playstation across the generations has always been a haven for Japanese quirk, especially in the PS1/PS2 eras.

R&C is already remade on PS4, and Sly Cooper is slated to be as well. God of War already has a remaster on PS4 if you're into that.

Shadow of the Colossus, some say may never be remastered. I would say it is very likely that we'll see a remaster of it on PS4 before The Last Guardian is out. Ico I cannot speak for.

Ratchet and Clank (PS2/3) and Ratchet and Clank (PS4) are two different games.

Kaibutsu

Totally, has a huge library of games, some of which can't be played anywhere else. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for the crappy slide top ps3 to drop under $99 before I buy another and I'm now starting to think that's never going to happen...

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Seems like there are still plenty of PS3 titles that fit into this mold:

Afrika
Catherine
3D Dot Game Heroes
Tokyo Jungle
Yakuza series

PS2 Classics:
Disaster Report
God Hand
Maximo
Chulip
Trapt

Frankly, Playstation across the generations has always been a haven for Japanese quirk, especially in the PS1/PS2 eras.

Yep, those are all games I'm interested in checking out, outside of possibly Yakuza.

Top Bottom