• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Polygon] Designing Mirror's Edge: The Making of a Franchise

dex3108

Nice article about Mirror's Edge.

Many praised the unique take on a first-person game, one that attempted to perfect movement and platforming in that perspective. Others criticized publisher Electronic Arts and developer DICE for not going far enough. Most notoriously, the game still allowed the player to pick up and shoot guns as a last resort, a mechanic that broke the flow and showed a lack of polish.

The general feeling at EA seems to be that Mirror’s Edge performed fine. It wasn’t a huge failure, but it also wasn’t a massive success. And yet, in the near decade since its release, the game has stayed lodged in gaming’s consciousness.

Maybe it was the unique art style. Maybe it was the sense of speed. Perhaps it was the unique feeling of a first-person action game that wasn’t primarily focused on shooting, years before the narrative-heavy, no-combat style would become a staple of the indie game scene. Whatever the reason, Mirror’s Edge remained a centerpiece of conversations with an ever-growing, passionate fanbase. And more than anything, that fanbase wanted a sequel.

Now, nearly eight years later, EA and DICE are finally ready to provide that sequel. But before making it, the studio went through a lengthy process, with multiple teams pitching their own ideas for the long-awaited sequel. A process that itself mirrored the birth of the first Mirror’s Edge.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/25/11758974/designing-mirrors-edge-the-making-of-a-franchise

lcap

Incredible piece. Really nice seeing how the games evolved internally, from small team pitches to a whole company backing it up.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It is great article but this thread just proves how much people care about ME :D
Just waiting for the game to release at this point.

Okay article. Bit fluffy. And there was a typo.

thumb

Banned
I'm a pretty cynical guy, but I admit I got a little wistful when reading the article. Mirror's Edge is one of my all-time favorite games, and it was shelved for years. There was a chance it would never return. Both EA and DICE had to be willing to take the gamble. However the new game turns out, I'm extremely thankful that they gave it another shot.

It is great article but this thread just proves how much people care about ME :D

I am not sure what is with the lack of hype for this game. Like, what is wrong with you people? :p

I am NOT the only person who has been clamoring for a sequel forever. The beta played BEAUTIFULLY and assuaged any fears I had. Yeah it was a bit graphically rough around the edges, but it was also a beta.

C'mon guys, lets make sure this game sells well. Please? :3

Top Bottom