• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best traditional arcades still going?

Was in the nostalgiac mood so thought I'd make a thread for sharing pics and stories of old school style arcades that are still in operation. I'll start off with this place local to me in Tacoma, Washington called Dorky's that doubles as a bar after 9 pm. They have a fairly impressive collection of old cabs that they maintain regularly, pretty fun place to hang out with friends. So what are some of your favorite totally-not-dave-n-busters type old school arcades that are still kicking? Share pics if you've got any!

o.jpg

348s.jpg

dorkys-bar-arcade-51f5fbc3d3bf7e3e6200eb03.jpg

5taquitos

Ground Kontrol in Portland is a fantastic barcade with a great pinball room.

Unfortunately, like everything else here, it's getting too crowded.

Old pic that's not mine:

ground-kontrol-classic-arcade.jpg

Edit: The pinball room upstairs

Hylian7

Arcade UFO in Austin is one that's great. I haven't been there in a year or two, but the last time I went they had gone more in the direction of putting console version of fighting games in arcade cabinets (buttons were arcade instead of controller of course). They have a bunch of classics including a CPS2 full of older stuff, Third Strike, that 4-player Pac-Man game, DDR, etc.

samred

Seattle has a slew of barcades (WATCH OUT FOR A TRADEMARK CLAIM!!), with my favorite (but by no means the best/largest) being Add-A-Ball in the Fremont neighborhood. That one has the most arcade cabs of any spot in town (other than the badly curated, badly cared-for GameWorks in downtown).

The rest is mostly pinball. The Full Tilt chain of ice cream shops has four locations, each with more than a few arcade and pinball machines, and while they're small, they're all kid-friendly. Shorty's and John John's are small, hipster bars with decent game selections. Flip Flip Ding Ding and the Seattle Pinball Museum are the largest.

I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two. There's nowhere good for serious fighting-game fans to play (though our GameWorks does have some Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom cabs, which I think is cool).

Edit: Vidiot in West Seattle. I haven't been yet, looks grungy and doesn't seem to have a good selection. I'd love to be told otherwise, though!

Skull_Guppy

Neo Member
Seems like WA is the place to be for arcades.

I wanted to also give a shutout to the 8-bit Arcade Bar in Renton Washington.
Great selection of pins and classic cabs.

o.jpg

Blues1990

Movie Land Arcade is the place that I go to for my arcade fix in downtown Vancouver. There's a decent selection of old school arcade cabinets, pinball machines, electronic tabletop machines, all of which are coin operated (such examples include Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, House of the Dead and 6-Way Daytona USA). They even have a back room with a collection of 80's "Girlie" movies that you can rent for 25 cents a pop, if you're into that sort of thing.

The place is the definition of no frills fun, as there really isn't much in the way of decor or ambiance. At first glance, the place looks like a seedy arcade you would see in the 1970's film Heavy Traffic, but the owner (who occasionally dozes off while waiting for customers to exchange their dollar bills for quarters) is pretty cool. It's a great place if you want to play some pinball or arcade games, but be sure to keep your hands in your pockets when not playing, so you don't accidentally touch the various surfaces in here.

o.jpg

o.jpg

SaikyoBro

Arcade Legacy in Cincinnati is pretty phenomenal, anyone in the midwest owes themselves a trip. I haven't been up in a while but they've got a pretty great selection and I know they recently opened a bar edition as well. $10 for a day's admission is pretty sweet.

brettreyu

Seattle has a slew of barcades (WATCH OUT FOR A TRADEMARK CLAIM!!), with my favorite (but by no means the best/largest) being Add-A-Ball in the Fremont neighborhood. That one has the most arcade cabs of any spot in town (other than the badly curated, badly cared-for GameWorks in downtown).

The rest is mostly pinball. The Full Tilt chain of ice cream shops has four locations, each with more than a few arcade and pinball machines, and while they're small, they're all kid-friendly. Shorty's and John John's are small, hipster bars with decent game selections. Flip Flip Ding Ding and the Seattle Pinball Museum are the largest.

I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two. There's nowhere good for serious fighting-game fans to play (though our GameWorks does have some Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom cabs, which I think is cool).

Edit: Vidiot in West Seattle. I haven't been yet, looks grungy and doesn't seem to have a good selection. I'd love to be told otherwise, though!

Every Tuesday from 6pm-11pm we have Street Fighter 5, Killer Instinct, Smash4, Melee, and anime setups in the area above the bar at Gameworks in Seattle. It's free and all ages.

frogg609

Yestercades in Somerville NJ.

Good selection of well maintained older games, and quite a few pinball tables as well.

They also have a bunch of consoles you can play on (I even saw a 3D0 there I think).

Really nice place, and you can take NJ transit (Raritan Valley Line) to get there.

http://www.yestercades.com/

El Odio

Banned
Galloping Ghost!
(Largest arcade in NA)

Galloping Ghost is awesome, but i don't know if you can call it traditional because you pay a fee to get in, then essentially have unlimited credits in every game. But the selection is huge. It's really a wonderful place.

http://www.gallopingghostarcade.com/
https://youtu.be/ytxeWD-GHG8

This. It's just outside Chicago, in Brookfield Illinois.

6Qun7n0.jpg
Yup. Love stopping by every month or so with the gf for the afternoon. It's only $15 for complete access which is a major plus.

SOME-MIST

just went to ground kontrol on my trip to Portland on Sunday. really clean arcade with a ton of gems (like Raiden 2, tgm2&3, strikers 1945). surprisingly small but still top notch.

I live in Chicago and absolutely adore GGA. been going for a few years and even hold a record there :D I'll be back in June for a shmupsmeet.

I used to live in Houston, but in the later years I lived there, I discovered Joystix Games.
http://www.joystixamusements.com/
Like they say, THEY ARE NOT AN ARCADE. They are primarily a business that sells arcade and pinball machines.
However, they hold Pac-Man Fever Friday on the first and last Friday of each month. There, you buy a pass for $15 from 9PM to 2AM to play over 200 games on Free Play.
It shares the same building as a bar, so expect a lot of drunk cool kids around there.

It's literally right next to Minute Maid Park, so it's hard to miss.

ss_lemonade

I've had a hard time finding good arcades in the Seattle area including Redmond and Bellevue. Does anybody know of some?

Not sure on those areas but like I mentioned earlier, there's Another Castle up a bit north (Edmonds) for classic arcades. Then a bit south, at the southcenter mall you have Round 1 for newer ones.

Every Tuesday from 6pm-11pm we have Street Fighter 5, Killer Instinct, Smash4, Melee, and anime setups in the area above the bar at Gameworks in Seattle. It's free and all ages.
Sounds fun! Just have to find time to drop by

samred

say whaaaaa how many attend on average? why have I never heard of this? I am gone a bunch this June (E3, etc) but would love to swing by one of these.

Ground Kontrol in Portland is a fantastic barcade with a great pinball room.

Unfortunately, like everything else here, it's getting too crowded.

Old pic that's not mine:

ground-kontrol-classic-arcade.jpg

Edit: The pinball room upstairs

I was in Portland around the 4th of July last year and saw this place, but they were closed. Looks like I missed out.

There's an arcade called The Atomic in Salt Lake City that is pretty cool. They have Punch-Out and stuff. Lots of older cabinets that you can't find in nickelcades.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Funspot is overrated in my opinion. Pinball Wizard, which is in NH, as well, has a better variety.

Funspot is more like a museum.

A MUSEUM OF FEAR

Yeah it does, the one I go to has Guilty Gear machines sitting next to VF Final Showdown machines which is a dream scenario for me.
taunton?

Skull_Guppy

Neo Member
I've had a hard time finding good arcades in the Seattle area including Redmond and Bellevue. Does anybody know of some?

I live in Redmond and you wont find anything except for the occasional cab or pin in a bar. Same goes with Bellevue. I'm guessing since most of the demographic is full-time working families it wouldn't do very well. Best arcade closest to you is the 8 b-bit Arcade Bar in Renton, which I posted earlier. It really is great and has a super good variety. There are a slew of arcades in Seattle, A few of them mentioned in this Thread. I don't have much time to frequent arcades anymore since I work full-time and have a family. I do miss it but my wallet appreciates it and I don't miss the smell of B.O. and sticky joysticks.

bearbytes

I have to go with Funspot for this one. I'm probably biased as I've been going there every summer since I was a kid, but I love that place.

Upstairs has all the classics in one place, which is pretty great because you can go there and avoid a lot of kids playing ticket games and things like that.

They call it the "American Classic Arcade Museum" and a lot of games have little signs on them detailing some of the history of the game. It's pretty cool.

Keep in mind these shots were taken with the lights on, which isn't what you would see if you went there. It's dark and noisy just like it should be. There is also a tavern right at the bottom of the stairs from the classic games. There are more modern games like Time Crisis and stuff like that, ticket games, bowling, skeeball, mini golf and all that stuff elsewhere in the building.

Gnomepowered

Neo Member
For those in the central FL area, I have had a lot of fun at the Player 1 barcade in Orlando. It is mostly late 80s-90s cabinets with a smattering of more recent stuff, plus consoles (last time I was there they had a Saturn running import Darkstalkers, even). I happen to really like that era, although there are a handful of older games, plus some pinball. Not bad at 5$ cover (3$ if you work for any of the theme parks!).

Skewing slightly older and favoring pinball, although still having some less common arcade machines,is Replay Arcade Museum in Tarpon Springs. The pinball selection is great, classic arcade selection is deeper than Pac-man and Defender, and it also has some 80s/90s cabinets, including some NeoGeo multicades running some obscurer stuff than normal (only place I have ever found a crowd to play Windjammers!), and a few cabinets in the back that I think of as the weird Japanese corner. When I have been there they were generally hosting some fun shmups, but they have a list posted of available games for the cabinets and will switch them out if you ask. Apparently originated as a private collection that they ran out of space to house, so they rented a space and opened it to the public. Bit pricier at 13$ for the day, but it does include unlimited re-entry. One of the best things about it, though, is that it is on the main drag in downtown, which is very walkable and relatively popular (pretty rare in Florida) instead of stuck in a stripmall somewhere, so not only can you duck out for food and drinks, but it is consistently crowded and actually attracts people who are just walking around, and not just arcade diehards. Not so crowded that it's hard to get on a machine you want, but enough that you are likely to get some interested challengers, and it makes it feel so much more...arcadey, I guess.

wamberz1

Movie Land Arcade is the place that I go to for my arcade fix in downtown Vancouver. There's a decent selection of old school arcade cabinets, pinball machines, electronic tabletop machines, all of which are coin operated (such examples include Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, House of the Dead and 6-Way Daytona USA). They even have a back room with a collection of 80's "Girlie" movies that you can rent for 25 cents a pop, if you're into that sort of thing.

The place is the definition of no frills fun, as there really isn't much in the way of decor or ambiance. At first glance, the place looks like a seedy arcade you would see in the 1970's film Heavy Traffic, but the owner (who occasionally dozes off while waiting for customers to exchange their dollar bills for quarters) is pretty cool. It's a great place if you want to play some pinball or arcade games, but be sure to keep your hands in your pockets when not playing, so you don't accidentally touch the various surfaces in here.

o.jpg

o.jpg

I'm in VC for a trip and have walked past this place a few times while walking to golden age collectibles. Definitely gonna go check it out today or tomorrow.

Sanjuro

Late notice, but figured this would be an okay thread to post this in.

Pinball Wizard in Pelham, NH is shutting down tomorrow for good. They are selling off machines shortly based on their Facebook posts, so there is little shot this will reopen.

If you live in the Northeast, love arcades, then I highly reccomend making the trip to send this place off. Short trip from the Boston area. There is also a cinema pub next door which is an added bonus.

http://www.pinballwizardarcade.com

Yj19mwQ.jpg

LA has some good spots.

There's EightyTwo, which is a downtown barcade with a rotating list of 50 arcade and pinball games. Nothing very rare that I've seen, but solid classics. http://eightytwo.la/games/

There's also the cool ButtonMash, which is part Korean food, part drinks, part games. http://buttonmashla.com

Then for the pinball fans there's Pins & Needles, which is all pinball all the time. Some very obscure tables. Cool woman who runs it: https://vimeo.com/57247225

Top Bottom