• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite movie endings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Shawshank Redemption's ending always hits me right in the feels.

-4xPKWRClflx.jpg

Kyne

some people give me shit for this, but the song coupled w/ the predictable ending was pretty nice.

gs.jpg

I love Imogen Heap.

The 3:10 to Yuma remake is honestly one of my favorite endings. Especially with Marco Beltrami's amazing score in the background (seriously, his score for that movie is so damn underrated)

Blazing Saddles
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

I actually prefer Spamalot's crowd-interaction ending for how silly it is (
the Holy Grail was under Seat 1A the whole time, and a giant hand comes out of the sky to point it out
), but I can appreciate the troll-tastic nature of Holy Grail's ending.

Blazing Saddles is another fantastic ending, where logic is completely thrown out the window and they sit down in a theater to watch their own movie end.

SaganIsGOAT

Oh man just thinking about one that gives me the feels, "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles." I cry everytime
when Steve Martin reminisces on their adventure, realizes what was really going on with John Candy, and goes back to find John Candy still sitting on the bench. That scene is so heartbreaking. And then his wife is so sweet to John Candy when they finally get to their home.
Such a sweet ending.

Oh man just thinking about one that gives me the feels, "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles." I cry everytime
when Steve Martin reminisces on their adventure, realizes what was really going on with John Candy, and goes back to find John Candy still sitting on the bench. That scene is so heartbreaking. And then his wife is so sweet to John Candy when they finally get to their home.
Such a sweet ending.

This is a great one. I tear up every time.

Saw
The Usual Suspects
The Matrix(lame to some people now these days but back then Neo's monologue followed by flight was just amazing to me)

edit: Oh surprised I forgot about the Force Awakens, given how recent it is. That too, this thread is all golden memories

Mugsy

Dr. Strangelove has a perfect ending, their stupid and pointless conflict may have caused the end of the world but as it is ending the Americans are worried about falling behind the russians in mineshaft technology and the russian ambassador is still taking photos of the big board.

Carl2291

Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

The Thing.

The Mist.

For a more feel good ending, I'll go with the new Jungle Book.

BiggNife

This ending would've been 1000% better if this had been the final shot and not fucking Batman in a Lacoste polo sipping on Prosecco.

This ending would have been 10x better if they just hard cut to black after Alfred nods and never actually show Bruce, nor show JGL finding the Batcave

YES. I've been saying this since I saw it. It would have be SO much better if it was left ambiguous.

Also it's probably not a surprise from my last sentence that I really like Inception's ending.

High and Low. Feels like I just got kicked in the stomach or something.

Sword of Doom. Absolutely ferocious use of the freeze frame. The fact it's so abrupt because of a sequel that never came to fruition only makes it better.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly. Ecstasy of gold and three way showdown, need I say more?

The Wages of Fear. Deliciously dark irony after the most intense road story ever.

The Thing. Of all Carpenter's great endings, this one takes the cake. Just two guys waiting in the snow.

Rosemary's Baby. What have you done to its eyes?!

Don't Look Now. The climax made me shit my pants out of terror, and the editing made my jaw drop.
What I like about Sword of Doom is that there's the build up for a big showdown, but it never comes to that because the villain goes mad and dies in a separate fight instead. Brilliantly performed by Tatsuya Nakadai as well.

Phenomena
Ichi The Killer

I would recommend these movies for the payoff of the end sequences alone. The epitome of stupid out-of-nowhere ultraviolence. Five stars

Apocalypse Now
City Lights
Aguirre The Wrath of God
The Godfather
La Dolce Vita
Mulholland Drive
Chinatown
Casablanca
Taxi Driver
Lost in Translation
The Conversation
Love on the Run
The Passenger
Au Revoir Les Enfants
Come and See

Just wanted to highlight this, I haven't seen a lot of "classic" films but I remember this very clearly years later.

Adding True Lies for the fun call backs to both the beginning and middle of the movie.

So many good ones posted. Here is one of mine, The Matrix.
To put this in context, remember this was 1999 and we had not seen anything like it at the time. The ending with Neo shockingly flying into the sky with Rage Against the Machine blaring was inspiring. It left with you filled with wonder and an sense that now anything is possible!

Of course it all went to hell, but at that moment,in a theater for the first time, it was fantastic.

0QNsCFH.gif

Unain

Got a couple endings I really like:

The ending of Contact is... so satisfying to me. I don't know what it is.
"We should have send a poet!"

Whiplash's ending is so good, I can keep watching that.
That mutual respect just by eye contact.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, great feel good movie overall. That ending though...

So many good ones posted. Here is one of mine, The Matrix.
To put this in context, remember this was 1999 and we had not seen anything like it at the time. The ending with Neo shockingly flying into the sky with Rage Against the Machine blaring was inspiring. It left with you filled with wonder and an sense that now anything is possible!

Of course it all went to hell, but at that moment,in a theater for the first time, it was fantastic.

0QNsCFH.gif

Good one

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

This is another brilliant ending. The whole final scene is gripping, tense and incredibly directed and performed. It is the perfect culmination of their relationship, but it offers no resolution either and is all the better for that ambiguity.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The Princess Bride. Always makes me want to watch the movie again right after.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

One of my favorite films but the ending almost ruins the whole thing for me. Just a total cop-out ending as if they couldn't think of a good way to end it.

The Dark Knight, Inception, The Dark Knight Rises, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, and Rosemary's Baby all have some of my favorite endings in any movie ever.

All of them inspire ultimate feelings of some sort with jaw dropping endings that make me think about the movie for years after I've seen them. Incredible endings.

Ghost in the Shell ending was pretty cool
"The net is vast and infinite"
I remember it left me with a sense of awe and wonder when I watched it for the first time.
Actually, it sill does.
The concept of a human/cyborg and a sapient computer program fusing together to become something new and greater is such a facinating concept to me

Ghost in the Shell ending was pretty cool

"The net is vast and infinite"
I remember it left me with a sense of awe and wonder when I watched it for the first time.
Actually, it sill does.
The concept of a human/cyborg and a sapient computer program fusing together to become something new and greater is such a facinating concept to me

I also really really like how it pans to a wide shot of the city and the contrast between the vast (digital) network that she alludes and the human connections that populate and form our world.

Platy

m3f0G8a.jpg

Both MiB 1 and 2 have glorious endings. Sad that MiB3 doesn't even come close

When I saw the first one in theaters I was like full keanuwow.jpg at the end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom