• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Banner Saga 2 |OT| The Viking Trail

Pau

I still have to beat the last battle in the first game. I spent about a whole day doing it and just couldn't. D:

Really looking forward to this. The first game is beautiful.

Corum

I had no idea The Banner Saga 2 was being released until I saw it pop-up on Steam but I'm surprised, I thought there would be more interest here on GAF since the first one was phenomenal.

I'm currently replaying number 1 to relive it again before I start the sequel, I still love it.

Corto

I still have to beat the last battle in the first game. I spent about a whole day doing it and just couldn't. D:

Really looking forward to this. The first game is beautiful.

Try now. I had to replay the last battle from the first game and it felt much easier than before. I guess Stoic tweaked a bit that fight, maybe toned down the regen ability of the Bellower to make it a bit more fair.

It's criminal that this game only has a 2-page OT.
I haven't completed it, but I think sales will suffer a bit because of being a middle chapter. Anyone who hasn't played Banner Saga 1 should do that before playing 2, since it's essential to the story.
The release was a bit stealthy too. I almost missed it.

The combat is a bit better with the new upgrade options, but they don't make that much difference.

The art, story and music are still amazing though. For that alone, I would give it my wholehearted recommendation.

So far, I seem to be doing more or less okay, with only a few minor mistakes and betrayals. I'm just waiting for the Ice and Fire moment where all the characters get killed just as I start to like them.
Maybe I'm playing the Varl group a bit too nice. I suspect I should be more ruthless if I want to not die. It's also a bit harder to empathise with the new Varl leader than it was with Hakon and Rook in BS1.

DrArchon

OK, I have a quick question about whether or not I should buy this.

I'm currently 3 or so hours into The Banner Saga 1 and while I love the art, music, story, etc, I'm not having a ton of fun with the gameplay. So what I'm asking is how much/is the gameplay improved for the sequel, and is it worth it to rush through The Banner Saga 1 on easy mode to get through the story and get the The Banner Saga 2? I love tactical games, but something about The Banner Saga 1 rubs me the wrong way, not sure what it is, but everything else is so top notch that I still want to experience it somehow.

Giran

OK, I have a quick question about whether or not I should buy this.

I'm currently 3 or so hours into The Banner Saga 1 and while I love the art, music, story, etc, I'm not having a ton of fun with the gameplay. So what I'm asking is how much/is the gameplay improved for the sequel, and is it worth it to rush through The Banner Saga 1 on easy mode to get through the story and get the The Banner Saga 2? I love tactical games, but something about The Banner Saga 1 rubs me the wrong way, not sure what it is, but everything else is so top notch that I still want to experience it somehow.

The gameplay is basically the same. More enemy and friendly unit types and some more varied battlefields/objectives but the underlying mechanics haven't changed. I'm not a huge fan of it either but I like everything else enough to soldier through it.

Also, I feel I'm about halfway through the game and holy fuck I wish I didn't look at the screenshots the OP posted. Pretty big spoiler in one of them.

Corto

1000 sorries Giran. Didn't mean to. Just to be sure please tell me is it
the centaurs screenshot?
Not that it would matter to you, regretfully, but just to ensure no one feels that I spoiled them again.

Giran

No, I've seen the horseborn in the reveal trailer and the first game already has info about them. It's the first image in the middle row
showing the corpse of the young mender apprentice (Nikels I believe, who sacrifices himself in the tunnels) on the enemy side being controlled by the dredge.
No worriers though, I just made it past that part and it looks like it doesn't become a major plotline, still it's two surprises given away.

Kadayi

Banned
Beat the original game on hard difficulty again but wth a more even spread of heroes.

A lot of people who played the original early on may have fallen foul of the obscure save game location (though they added Cloud saves eventually). So if you're wanting either ending with a good spread of heroes and items I've links to save files for both below: -

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58657528/Alette.zip

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58657528/Rook.zip

Carry over Heroes in addition to either Rook or Alette: -

Bersi, Egil, Eirik, Eyvind, Griss, Gunnulf, Hakon, Hogun, Iver, Krumr, Ludin, Mogr, Mogun, Nid, Oddeif, Tryggvi, Ysra

Enjoy.

Also managed 100% achievement on it as well (no mean feat) so double plus good.

I appreciate that. To be clear, the different final names are for
who survives, not who dies? Right?

I may still just replay the whole thing before jumping on the second game. But if that seems too daunting, I'll use your files.

Kadayi

Banned
I appreciate that. To be clear, the different final names are for
who survives, not who dies? Right?

I may still just replay the whole thing before jumping into the second game. But if that seems too daunting, I'll use your files.

I think it might be
who died. Originally the files were named Post Rook's death, Post Alette's death, but the links were too long and didn't work so I had to abbreviate the file names down. It was a bit of a rush edit so I'd check though.

If you have the original game installed, just load the resume save and it will show you who's left. For loading into banner saga 2 load the finale save though.

I really enjoyed running through the original. It was a good refresher to remember the characters and events (for a game largely without spoken dialogue there's a richness to the personalities I find), however, I've played it through several times now getting all the achievements so I'm familiar with the various choices and decisions the game makes so I'm kind of maximising a lot of the time, in terms of keeping characters alive, levelling the right people up and all that jazz.

I'm thinking of doing a worst case scenario playthrough though just to see how bad it could be (everyone who can die dies).

I would say easy or normal is fine if you just want a story refresher, but hard can be punishing simply due to the sheer number of enemies that get thrown at you, coupled with the generally tough choices you have to make.

Labadal

]blacky[;202616811 said:
Will there ever be a physical edition of Banner Saga 1 and/or 2 for PS4? Any announcements?
I haven't seen anything mentioned. It would make more sense to do something like this when the trilogy is released.

Corum

I just completed BG2, it was great; I love the combat, introduction of new roles and the character development (especially Bolverk).

I can't believe there's not more interest or love for this game, bring on BG3.

Desi

Is ranking up still tied to kills? I found it hard to keep characters up to date just because of that mechanic in the first one.

Zolo

Is ranking up still tied to kills? I found it hard to keep characters up to date just because of that mechanic in the first one.

It is, but ranks seem to require a lower amount of kills now with I think Rank 10 equaling what Rank 5 was last game.

Just got this from the Steam sale, and I'm enjoying it, but I have a question.

Regarding Ludin and Gil,
the game seems to be treating dialogue about them as if the two of them were dead...yet they're clearly selectable in my party. Is that just a glitch? Or a mistake in scripting?

Nerix

Anyone else having problems with the triangle in the middle of the screen (PS4)? Can't take good screens with that

https://youtu.be/ng5k7_R_YGI
pRx3ap.jpg

Devs say it's just me, can't imagine that's true as it's the console version...
https://twitter.com/BannerSaga/status/763789438325448704

So, I finished the first one on ios, and realized with horror it's not yet available on ios (i'd have thought porting of BS1 made porting of BS2 trivial). Worse, it does not even seem officially announced on ios! Do gaffers think it's still likely to come over?
The game seems to have tanked super hard given the incredibly low level of activity on GAF of all places (i'd have though gaf would have eaten that shit up for some reason)

Nerix

So, I finished the first one on ios, and realized with horror it's not yet available on ios (i'd have thought porting of BS1 made porting of BS2 trivial). Worse, it does not even seem officially announced on ios! Do gaffers think it's still likely to come over?
The game seems to have tanked super hard given the incredibly low level of activity on GAF of all places (i'd have though gaf would have eaten that shit up for some reason)

Wondering about that as well. The OT is really empty... sad, such a nice little game

I finally started to dig into this in the last few days (after replaying the first one for the fourth or fifth time). These games are really special to me. Just a mood and a feeling like nothing else.

Rymuth

Finished the first one. That was some good shit. Is the second one worth it? By that I mean, does the build on the previous game or is it just a holding pattern type sequel?

Top Bottom