• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";208501500]She has pseudo-hexproof. Most of the stuff that kills her in standard are wraths that would kill both angels anyway.[/QUOTE]

I mean, if you have anything that will kill them, I presume you'd kill one of them before they melded. It's extremely hard to draw into answers to Brisela though because most playable answers can't be cast after it hits the battlefield. You're mostly talking about dropping an Ormendahl to create a board stall or drawing into Planar Outburst.

Bolas is not confirmed to be from Dominaria. The really old lore suggested that all of the Elder Dragons were planeswalkers so who knows where they were from.

I believe the very old source material on the Elder Dragons confirmed that they were from Dominaria but that's also from before they threw out all the old material so nowadays it might be undefined, yeah.

why cant she. Narset is no longer planebound. Not saying its the best course of action, but its already another option. It would also be an alternative way for innistrad to lose its guardian

I mean, then it's just a completely different story. Avacyn could have become the angel planeswalker but that wasn't going to support their overall goal which was to return to creepy Innistrad to make money and sell cards. Once you're already at the point of saying "we need to undo AVR in a way that lets us do horror world" all the answers obvious enough to show on a card involve corrupting Avacyn, killing Avacyn, or (as they went with) both.

I have to rescing my judgement I could see mainboarding Gisela as a 1 of and having bruna in the sideboard against slow decks that don't play anguished unmaking and or transgress the mind.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If you let the meld trigger hit the stack, then Stasis Snare or Ultimate Price one of them, does the other one get exiled and fail to return, or does the trigger simply fail to resolve because you no longer control both of them?

I assume the latter but if its the former that sounds bad.

ultron87

It's the latter. Triggers worded like "______, if _____, [thing happens]" will only trigger if the if statement is true, and also check the if when it resolves before it does anything.

Crocodile

Here's some cosplay from the recent GP Taipei

Cl2gNmuUoAACP_5.jpg

I know it was a given, but investigate not coming back bums me out. It's such a great mechanic.

I know the flavor reason but it still sucks a lot - Invesitgate ruled!

As for Meld, its a cool idea but not something I'm super keen about. Having it on so few cards makes it extra meh but I appreciate they didn't want to eat up all the DFC slots.

Also the official art for the new Thalia card looks weird. Like she's wearing a mix of a turtle and armadillo carapace.

Angry Grimace

Here's some cosplay from the recent GP Taipei

I know the flavor reason but it still sucks a lot - Invesitgate ruled!

As for Meld, its a cool idea but not something I'm super keen about. Having it on so few cards makes it extra meh but I appreciate they didn't want to eat up all the DFC slots.

Also the official art for the new Thalia card looks weird. Like she's wearing a mix of a turtle and armadillo carapace.

As usual, Jace is the best.

Part of the problem with meld is that its a mechanic I think most people would assume is going to be a big hit among casuals, but the way they implemented it means casuals won't often by able to pull it off outside of Graf Rats. I think there has to be legitimate concern that a casual will open a pack and get a Bruna and see this cool looking half-card on the back and realize that it doesn't do anything unless they also get a different mythic rare that probably costs $15 (because Gisela's front side is arguably Standard playable and will have demand regardless). That was one of the other reasons I was skeptical about the double-card implementation - if you get Bruna, you have no idea what the reverse side even does.

Bruna doing the meld combo by herself kinda makes me sad that there probably aren't going to be any Ever After shenanigans with meld creatures because there's only two others and one's at common with the last one relying on a land. You could just play a midrange deck with 4 gisela and 1 bruna and be fine.

That said, mono black chittering host baby!

Looking at Blessed Alliance, I'm guessing we're getting a cycle showing each tribe teaming up with one it shares a color with.
blessedalliance.jpg

So,
Blue - Ghastly Alliance - spirits and zombies
Black - Somber Alliance - zombies and vampires
Red - Bloodthirsty Alliance - vampires and werewolves
Green - Wild Alliance - werewolves and humans

All of which are charms (three choices) with escalate (2) for 1M.

Blessed Alliance doesn't seem particularly flavored for each tribe, but a red version that is:
Bloodthirsty Alliance - 1R
Instant
Escalate (2)
Choose one or more--
* Attacking creatures gain first strike until end of turn.
* Transform target Werewolf creature you control.
* Deal 3 damage to target creature.

Ashodin

Bloodthirsty Alliance better be some awesome shit

The white one is OK in my standard deck.

4 mana open up two blockers + sac an attacker is some gooooood combat trix

Angry Grimace

Other than the same poster having the Brisela art but not knowing what it was 2 weeks ago?

Or him leaking the meld face cards?
...who are you even talking about and where? I just looked on MTGS and they don't have the card listed or a thread for it. The only thing I saw on it was someone wrote out the card in this thread.

Ashodin

All of that guy's leaks are true, so the Burst cycle being reprinted (or something similar) has still not been revealed yet.

Angry Grimace

What am I looking at

//Creatures

4 Arbor Elf
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Noble Hierarch
3 Sylvan Caryatid
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

//Enchantment

4 Oath of Nissa
2 Blood Moon
2 Doubling Season

//Planeswalker

1 Chandra, Flamecaller
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Gideon Jura
1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1 Jace, Architect of Thought
4 Nahiri, the Harbinger
3 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
2 Xenagos, the Reveler
1 Ral Zarek

//Land

2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2 Stomping Ground
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Breeding Pool
4 Forest
2 Gavony Township
2 Temple Garden
1 Westvale Abbey
3 Windswept Heath
3 Wooded Foothills

//Sideboard

2 Blood Moon
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Fog
3 Leyline of Sanctity
3 Rest in Peace
3 Stony Silence
2 Worship

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
emrakul does seem a bit weak in a format with ormendahl tbh?

is eternal masters not in standard? i guess not?

Angry Grimace

emrakul does seem a bit weak in a format with ormendahl tbh?

is eternal masters not in standard? i guess not?

Nope, EMA is just a reprint set.

Emrakul isn't weak, he just goes in a deck that isn't currently good - he's a payoff card for going hard into Delirium.

Firemind

While true that redundancy is good, the high CMC is overcrowded with angels already and I like other options more there. The only Angel I'd consider cutting right now is Anya but there are so few Boros Angels as is in my deck already.

This is more or less my current list, missing a sword of fire and ice, ricochet trap instead of reverberate, gamble and mana crypt. I guess I could cut the defy death, I think I'll do that being uncounterabel and having a sozeable body is preferable over a card mostly in for flavour reasons.
Play more angels. Like, I have no idea why Boros Charm and Lightning Helix are in the deck.

I think Assemble the Legion is a bit of a flavour fail tbh. Elspeth and Ajani too. Also Earthquake. Wrath of God and Armageddon are flavour wins at least.

Angry Grimace

Play more angels. Like, I have no idea why Boros Charm and Lightning Helix are in the deck.

I think Assemble the Legion is a bit of a flavour fail tbh. Elspeth and Ajani too. Also Earthquake. Wrath of God and Armageddon are flavour wins at least.

I was wondering why doesn't the deck doesn't have Archangel Avacyn? Is the fliptrigger that bad? I would think most angels live through it.

Firemind

Demands a premium price atm I reckon. Reckon she will crater after rotation. Although that's what I thought about Thundermaw too. :lol

Angry Grimace

In my mind, the Mindwrack Demon/Delirium/Emrakul deck is gonna be fucking sweet. Like, I don't think its an unfair point to say Emrakul is a legit payoff for playing the deck and being able to Traverse for her is pretty cool sounding too.

(Please be good)

Emrakul isn't weak, he just goes in a deck that isn't currently good - he's a payoff card for going hard into Delirium.

She. :p

Emrakul unfortunately is the least good against a deck that just poops out a wall of green-white tokens so she might not find a spot right away, but I'm definitely convinced she'll see Standard play.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Cl_kr6IVAAAvZKg.png:large

Is this like a remand without the cantrip? I don't really get how returning a spell to its owner's hand works.

EDIT: But, it can also target creatures on the battlefield, which seems good.

y2dvd

Yall ever been successful finding a good deal on Craigslist or in yardsales? I was looking today but I feel like I'm wasting my time haha.

*edit
Unsubstantiate could go well in those blue decks thay runs Days Undoing.

Angry Grimace

Emrakul unfortunately is the least good against a deck that just poops out a wall of green-white tokens so she might not find a spot right away, but I'm definitely convinced she'll see Standard play.

I don't think she's bad against that at all. She deals 13 almost unanswerable damage and you can get lucky and catch them with a Declaration in hand, and if this is a Mindwrack Demon deck, you've hopefully gotten in a couple of times.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser

Is this like a remand without the cantrip? I don't really get how returning a spell to its owner's hand works.

I'd use it in draft or sealed. Popping your opponents fatty into his hand at the end of his turn has won many a game for me.

red13th

Liliana knew Jace already? I didn't know that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Feels like YGO: The set.

Sacrificing creatures to summoner bigger creatures.
Fusing creatures together.

Just need Morph so I can play a card face down, tapped.

So many Remands that are worse than Remand
To be fair Remand is one of the best 2cmc counters ever printed.

I love this card. So much flexibility. Tempo your opponent, bounce your own creatures, remand your bearer of silence to get multiple cast triggers without opening it up to removal, all kinds of fun stuff.

Firemind

Feels like YGO: The set.

Sacrificing creatures to summoner bigger creatures.
Fusing creatures together.

Just need Morph so I can play a card face down, tapped.
yah shadows of innistrad has been pretty meh as a whole

but that's what you get when you let eldrazi loose on a set

Ashodin

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";208528629]To be fair Remand is one of the best 2cmc counters ever printed.

I love this card. So much flexibility. Tempo your opponent, bounce your own creatures, remand your bearer of silence to get multiple cast triggers without opening it up to removal, all kinds of fun stuff.[/QUOTE]

bounce your own Rattlechains for maximum flash value

I was expecting them to print Remand without the cantrip, so I'm surprised they also added unsummon.

After MaRo's post about how they were planning on addressing the fact that Jace's sarcastic quips aren't actually in character, I'm amused that their plan appears to be to have other characters make the quips for him.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Maybe if they gave her annihilator 6.

Yeef

SOI limited is great. We haven't seen enough of this set yet to get a picture of how it will affect the format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom