• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow worse than one of the best draft formats ever. Truly an insult to magic.

SOI limited doesn't hold a candle to even Khans. I actually enjoyed BFZ limited more than I do SOI. I would love to see why people think this is such a good limited experience, I've just found it way too swingy with several pairings completely lacking any pay off cards.

Okay, so doesn't hold a candle to a bottom-of-the-top-five draft format then.

Now I'm curious what the top five are generally considered to be. I'm guessing:

1 Innistrad

2 Rise

3 Modern Masters

4 ? maybe Time Spiral?

5 Khans

Personally SOI is probably my least favorite limited experience in the past three years. I would say of their recent sets only Born Journey and possibly M15 were worse than SOI. I would even put Dragons/Fate and Origins over SOI. Is that low enough yet?

ElyrionX

Cl_kr6IVAAAvZKg.png:large

Is this like a remand without the cantrip? I don't really get how returning a spell to its owner's hand works.

EDIT: But, it can also target creatures on the battlefield, which seems good.

It can target spells that cannot be countered. Remand can't.

Now I'm curious what the top five are generally considered to be.

Rise and Innistrad are the real consistent top 2, then it starts to break up a bit more. Some of what I would say are pretty common choices, in approximate order of popularity: KTK x3, M13 x3, MMA x3, TPF, RGD, CHK x3, SHM x3, MD5, DGR, IPA.

Personally, I would happily draft anything on this list again and again basically forever; I wouldn't even consider most other coresets (especially M12), Lorwyn, Zendikar (unless money drafting on MODO), Coldsnap, Onslaught, anything older than IPA, and of course AVR (*spit* *hiss*).

Just to dive back into that Jace discussion from earlier:

Ad 1 has nothing to do with arguing why it makes sense for Jace to be there narratively but their product.

Ad 5 see ad 1

My point here was that you can't ignore the context of this storyline existing to market and sell a card game. All the major changes they've made to how they approach the storytelling are based on what they think will help more players engage with it, and therefore spend more money on the game. Out of all the ideas they've ever had for this, just having an ongoing story (like the ones popular in every other form of media now) starring their most popular characters (once adjusted to cover the full range of colors so as to properly advertise the brand) is clearly the most sensible, so arguing that they shouldn't do that isn't gonna go far.

Ad 2 The set is built around sending Jace on a goose chase then deus ex machina throw Sorin into it.

This is based on the idea that it doesn't make sense to search out Sorin, but I think it pretty clearly does: he's more powerful than anyone in the Gatewatch, he knows more about the Eldrazi, and with Ugin around it's much more likely that he might help. Given that they have no other leads this is a pretty logical step to take next.

Ad 3 Tamiyo

Even in the older days of the storyline they never would have done this. Tamiyo isn't a good viewpoint character -- she thinks in a way that's weird to the audience, she has goals that don't align well with what you'd look for in a protagonist, she has no existing relationships and so doesn't tie into the ongoing storyline in any way. Even pre-Gatewatch they would've had Elspeth or Garruk or somebody show up and interact with her as the stock expert type character who can provide exposition.

My broader point would be that the motivation for known characters to get involved in blocks is generally pretty thin. Why is Elspeth in Theros? Why is Gideon in Zendikar? Why does Sarkhan do almost anything? Generally it's something like "the writers thought it would be cool" or "we picked this character to match our color requirements," more than something that falls out of inexorable narrative logic. Putting Jace into Innistrad follows pretty similar kinds of logic, and given that his last expansion set appearance before this was RTR (four blocks earlier) it doesn't seem at all crazy to apply it to him there.

sgjackson

Rise and Innistrad are the real consistent top 2, then it starts to break up a bit more. Some of what I would say are pretty common choices, in approximate order of popularity: KTK x3, M13 x3, MMA x3, TPF, RGD, CHK x3, SHM x3, MD5, DGR, IPA.

M13 might be my favorite draft set because it's the only great set I had the time and money to draft a ton of when I wasn't new at limited and subsequently terrible.

M13 might be my favorite draft set because it's the only great set I had the time and money to draft a ton of when I wasn't new at limited and subsequently terrible.

M13 is like the platonic ideal of core set draft, it's just got a wide range of possible decks, lots of fun synergies to build around and cool legendaries at rare, nothing all too miserable bomb-wise, and a good range of possible deck speeds. I will say that in my very first M13 draft I got Captain of the Watch and Odric and none of the ones that followed ever quite lived up to that, lol.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
White cards being good is just par for the course because white is ridiculous right now. It's almost hard to justify playing a deck that doesn't have white in it.

I thought white in SOI were just okay. I mean Avacyn is obviously awesome but I didn't really think mono white was all that viable. Which is what I'm really after.

OnPoint

I thought white in SOI were just okay. I mean Avacyn is obviously awesome but I didn't really think mono white was all that viable. Which is what I'm really after.

Mono-white Humans and RW Humans are pretty strong right now, due in no small part to the awesome white stuff in SOI.

• Thraben Inspector
  • The guy that flips to the red guy
  • Thalia's Lieutenant
  • Always Watching
  • Avacyn herself

Seems strong to me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

The second/third most popular deck is a mono-white deck.

The other two popular decks are Bant Humans and G/W Tokens, both of which are mostly white decks.

Angry Grimace

Mono-white Humans and RW Humans are pretty strong right now, due in no small part to the awesome white stuff in SOI.

• Thraben Inspector
  • The guy that flips to the red guy
  • Thalia's Lieutenant
  • Always Watching
  • Avacyn herself

Seems strong to me.

I tried to put together a R/W aggro deck but the mana kind of sucks. You really don't want taplands, but there's Battlefield Forge and Needle Spires (which obviously is a tapland).

It seemed kind of close but not quite there.

OnPoint

I tried to put together a R/W aggro deck but the mana kind of sucks. You really don't want taplands, but there's Battlefield Forge and Needle Spires (which obviously is a tapland).

It seemed kind of close but not quite there.

I mean the Tom Ross deck really only splashes for Reckless Bushwacker, right? If the mana were there, what would an RW deck consist of?

y2dvd

How are yall leaving out Dec in Stone for strong white cards? It provides so much tempo for a clean removal.

Confirming why Bruna and Gisela are monowhite
Meld is not intended to happen often in Limited
darrinkatz asked: Why didn't Bruna and Gisela keep their non-white colors?

To keep you from having to use a three-color deck to play them both.

==

noblecuriosity asked: How often does meld happen in Limited games? So far it looks like it isn't likely to happen very often, which is disappointing.

It’s not designed to be something that happens often in limited.

I guess the thought process is that getting one meld card is enough of a "WOAH WHAT THE HELL?!" moment that players will remember it even if it doesn't actually happen often.
Also, while you will never assemble a meld, your opponents will every game.

EDIT: Just realized,
* They have been emphasizing a lot that Emrakul's corruption doesn't affect zombies.
* The Phyrexians are all about zombies.
* They have often acknowledged that people have wanted a Phyrexianized Eldrazi for a long time.

I'm thinking that, following up on my earlier guess on how this story will conclude, that part of Emrakul will be sealed in the moon and part of it will get away. That part will go to New Phyrexia, where it gets compleated. This allows them to freely leave the plane.

Angry Grimace

I mean the Tom Ross deck really only splashes for Reckless Bushwacker, right? If the mana were there, what would an RW deck consist of?
The Hanweir Garrison seems pretty decent. I think I was trying to force Borderland Maurader at the time lol

Hey bit of a newbie question - i got Mindwrack Demon in a booster pack but confused what it means by 'card types' for the delerium effect. How is that defined?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hey bit of a newbie question - i got Mindwrack Demon in a booster pack but confused what it means by 'card types' for the delerium effect. How is that defined?

Instant, sorcery, planeswalker, artifact, creature, enchantment. and land are the card types.

edit: Also apparently tribal if its applicable.

IIRC, you can have a card count for more than one, such as an artifact-creature, artifact-land, creature-land, etc.

Thanks, Doesn't seem overly difficult achieve that criteria then!

The things you have to keep in mind are:
* You need a variety of card types in your library in the first place.
* You need ways to get those cards into your graveyard. Instants and sorceries are easy enough, since you just cast them, but you'll need a plan for other types. You can sacrifice them when they're already on the battlefield (note that you need a way to sacrifice them), discard cards from your hand, or self-mill (put cards from the top of your library into your graveyard).

Play more angels. Like, I have no idea why Boros Charm and Lightning Helix are in the deck.

I think Assemble the Legion is a bit of a flavour fail tbh. Elspeth and Ajani too. Also Earthquake. Wrath of God and Armageddon are flavour wins at least.

Those are playability concessions, all my creatures are flyers so earthquake is amazing and Boros Charm is so important in EDH it's not even funny. Being able to be fetched with by Sunforger to protect from wraths, Bane of Progress, Armageddon, Child of Alara,... Elspeths and Assemble are not just draw engines but win conditions when I pillowfort up.
Lightning Helix is to have some direct damage for PWs. I took Armageddon out again because it wasn't fun.

I was wondering why doesn't the deck doesn't have Archangel Avacyn? Is the fliptrigger that bad? I would think most angels live through it.

She's the commander.

duxstar

yayyyyy I'm back after a 6 month ban, on a side note never give your opinion when a "mod" might not like it.

quick note's on the new spoilers before i go to bed

Meld cards are dumb, like real dumb, In a room of 20 magic players tonight no one seemed to be a fan of it, Obviously there is some group think there but I just don't see who it appeals too, maybe newer players ? There is almost zero chance I'm ever going to flip Into Brisela, the fact that I take 2 somewhat strong cards, and let 1 removal spell kill both just seem's really bad.

New Emrakul seem's pretty weak too, I know some of you were arguing about it but really it doesn't seem to fix any of the ramp deck's problems, and Mindslaver on turn 8 or 9 will rarely work out as well as you think it will. Look at the current format, what G/W deck, bant company deck, or Mono white human's deck has a ton of cards in their hand on turns 7 - 9 Especially when they know you might be able to Mindslaver them.

I could be wrong, so as a hedge I picked up 4 copies of Sigarda, but I'm not really sensing a card I will be too worried about. If Worldbreaker, and Ulamog aren't stopping these decks now another 8 - 10 drop doesn't necessarily help that matchup.

New Gisela will be overhyped and I'm doubting will see play, Just a hunch but there are very few 4 drops being played now that don't affect the board immediately, and I have a strange suspicion that a lightning strike/ 3 damage for 2 mana spell is coming back; Red has fallen by the wayside and wizards will go back to giving us lightning strike to try to fix it.

New Thalia is my type of card, but initial gut reaction is that she's just a hair not good enough in Legacy Death and Taxes, and too slow in Modern; I might wait a bit to pick her up and if Kaladesh is the set I think its going to be (equipment based) she might See play there.

Legendary Werewolf is bad, Blue Eldrazi Tutor might see some play in Blue Control decks, it seems like the thing control would want, Counter everything until turn 10 and trade 1 card for your sideboarded Ulamog/Emrakul/Kozilek, Green 1/1 deathtouch will be pretty annoying in limited and might see constructed play in some deck that doesn't exist yet. Bruna is a 7 drop angel, enough said really, and Thalia's Lancers is a 5 mana 4/4, so basically a limited first pick but won't see much play outside of that other than in certain EDH decks.

P.S. I love spoiler season, The last few sets I've been pretty spot on about the cards that will be good/overhyped (I tried getting Tireless trackers at a dollar, and new Nahiri at 11 was way too cheap) Also white and green are the best colors in standard so of course i love it, even though i really don't play standard anymore.

New Emrakul seem's pretty weak too, I know some of you were arguing about it but really it doesn't seem to fix any of the ramp deck's problems, and Mindslaver on turn 8 or 9 will rarely work out as well as you think it will. Look at the current format, what G/W deck, bant company deck, or Mono white human's deck has a ton of cards in their hand on turns 7 - 9 Especially when they know you might be able to Mindslaver them.
Conduit of Ruin + Emrakul, the Promised End + Sorin, Grim Nemesis, baby!

EDIT: Just realized,
* They have been emphasizing a lot that Emrakul's corruption doesn't affect zombies.
* The Phyrexians are all about zombies.
* They have often acknowledged that people have wanted a Phyrexianized Eldrazi for a long time.

I'm thinking that, following up on my earlier guess on how this story will conclude, that part of Emrakul will be sealed in the moon and part of it will get away. That part will go to New Phyrexia, where it gets compleated. This allows them to freely leave the plane.
This is a really creatively bankrupt idea, meaning it will probably happen

Cute

4959510_6_5c35_2016-06-28-d29989f-30125-18hlu53_6bad6425eafc918b9a7148b110fa7ae5.png

Source

Cast an Eldrazi Creature spell with CMC 7+, draw two cards

They are obviously the workers. Look at the top of the turned-over side. What do you see? :p

That thing is uncommon how many Eldrazi are there going to be?

I see maybe a leg some tentacles and a bunch of shades of black. I guess it's the insect but I hope you can make out more in the fleshcardboard.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
There is pretty clearly a giant insect monster lurking in the background overseeing everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom