• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

Seriously why the fuck would they bring back discard at random for 2 mana. This is going to end up causing a lot of feel bad limited games where you are forced to discard your one land on turn 2 and get fucked.

OK, now I'll react.

Without delirium, it's potentially weaker than a 1B card that allows you to choose what your opponent discards, but it can hit lands.

With delirium, it's actually an easier to cast Hymn to Tourach, which could get pretty crazy.

Also, I'm amused that they didn't reprint Inquisition of Kozilek in Oath of the Gatewatch due to it not being devoid, but here we have a non-devoid Eldrazi-flavored discard card.

Whispers of Emrakul 1B (uncommon)
Target opponent discards a card at random.
Delirium-If there are four or more card types among cards in your graveyard that opponent discards two cards at random instead.
"Your thoughts are no longer your own."

WHY WOULD YOU BRING BACK HYMN (half)

You know what, this actually feels like a reasonable card. It won't be Turn 1/2 "Oops, you lose the game" like Hymn could often be but it can instead be the much more reasonable (but still powerful) later game Hymn where you 2 for 1 the opponent and can hit anything (including mostly useless unplayed lands).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
? This is bad in limited.

Correct, the point at which Hymn is completely OP is basically turn 1 (probably with Dark Ritual).

It's still a great card in constructed because with Delirium its a cheap 2-for-1 and if you cast it early enough you can hit their land drops.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Best MTG art

or bestest MTG art

tumblr_o9lf31ANQB1u9beo8o1_1280.jpg

The card is bad unless Delirium is active, and you won't have that early enough for this to be a broken card. But it is a cool little callback.

Hymn to Tourach is 2 mana 2-for-1, its still a good payoff even if you can't reliably use it to force your opponent to discard his land. Delirium's problem is paying off Delirium and the best thing you could previously get is a) not dying to Mindwrack Demon and b) enabling Traverse the Ulvenwald, which could rarely actually find anything better than another Mindwrack Demon.

Hah, I didn't notice the blood around the cat's mouth and the bite mark on the guy's right hand. Also, it's easier to see the weird back right leg and what exactly the tail is.

Correct, the point at which Hymn is completely OP is turn 1 with Dark Ritual. It's still an extremely good card if you can cast it reasonably early.

Exactly. The problem with Hymn is it can rip an opening hand to pieces before a player even has a turn or, at least, before they can do much of anything. This will take more work and time to get going so it's powerful without bringing me back memories of the 90s.

Angry Grimace

Delrihymn is a card I'd much more likely keep in the board as opposed to maindeck unless I had a bunch of open slots. I think the point of a Delirium deck is enabling Traverse the Ulvenwald fetching Emrakul, the Promised End and windmill slamming that card on the table.

Ashodin

I'll just leave this here

4r0GpFd.png
+
122.jpg

Turn 3, discard your whole hand? I'm ONE card off Delirium, let me just plop down Mindwrack on Turn 4. Mono Black Control gonna be NUTS

goddamn that wolf mech looks amazing haha. I love the design, it's totally some shit out of like Battletech or something

Angry Grimace

Time to blind-draft (i.e. 0-1 drop) Shards of Alara draft!

y2dvd

I'll just leave this here

4r0GpFd.png
+
122.jpg

Turn 3, discard your whole hand? I'm ONE card off Delirium, let me just plop down Mindwrack on Turn 4. Mono Black Control gonna be NUTS

goddamn that wolf mech looks amazing haha. I love the design, it's totally some shit out of like Battletech or something

Can't humans dump their entire hand by then?

Yeef

I'd assume you'd aggressively mulligan for Languish against MWH

INteresting artwork on wizard's eldritch moon site for cards we don't have yet
Recognize the first one, but I can't remember where it's from. THe other two are Avacynian Priest, Requiem Angel

4.jpg
18.jpg

Grapple with the Past is pretty good, and has sad flavor, with the girl trying to reconnect with her previous self.

Earlier in the thread (or maybe the Penny Arcade thread), someone complained about how having so many references to previous cards makes the set feel unoriginal, but I like them a lot.

Man some of the art direction images remind me of some straight up Dead Space shit

I notice that guide has what appear to be prototype logos for SOI and EDM.

EDIT: Also, the Eldrazified Falkenrath Aristocrat looks a lot like Elesh Norn (white Phyrexian praetor).

Ashodin

I notice that guide has what appear to be prototype logos for SOI and EDM.

EDIT: Also, the Eldrazified Falkenrath Aristocrat looks a lot like Elesh Norn (white Phyrexian praetor).

I like how the SOI symbol looks like it transitions naturally into the EMN logo. Then they changed it to be more Avacyn's symbol. (The symbol of her church, which werewolves hate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom