• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

My foray in speculation reminded me I need to start getting rid of the old cards I have that exploded in price with the modern unbans, specifically my old Thopter Foundry-Time Sieve deck (with Ancestral Visions), before they are reprinted and the prices plummet.

Man, all this commotion about Allosaurus Rider and I have no way to capitalize on it :/ I wish I could buy up all those copies on that European site but I'm in the US.

OnPoint

You know what would be such an amazing reprint here and synergize amazingly with Delirium and Emrakul?

Glimpse the Unthinkable.

The flavor is out of this world. Too bad it won't happen :(

Yeef

Random Musing: It's kind of a shame that they wasted Converge in BFZ; I feel like it would be a solid mechanic for an Alara return.

This attitude is literally the reason that playing any form of semi-competitive Magic is so miserable. The concept of sportsmanship or that there's some value to winning in an earnest contest of skill isn't anywhere near the table; it's the philosophy of doing as much as you can conceivably get away with in every possible sphere to win, even if game skill never enters into it. It's just deeply unpleasant.

It's clear we'll never agree here. So rather than drag this out, I'll just leave it at this: I believe that when you sign up to play a tournament at competitive REL, you're not just playing Magic anymore. You're playing it under an additional ruleset. You've agreed to sit at the table at an exact time, play at an appropriate pace, shuffle in certain ways, etc. You're not just playing Magic anymore - you're playing Competitive Magic. I completely understand why you dislike what that implies as far as player behavior, but I really can't see how you execute Magic at a competitive level without it.

kirblar

It's clear we'll never agree here. So rather than drag this out, I'll just leave it at this: I believe that when you sign up to play a tournament at competitive REL, you're not just playing Magic anymore. You're playing it under an additional ruleset. You've agreed to sit at the table at an exact time, play at an appropriate pace, shuffle in certain ways, etc. You're not just playing Magic anymore - you're playing Competitive Magic. I completely understand why you dislike what that implies as far as player behavior, but I really can't see how you execute Magic at a competitive level without it.
Reid Duke does just fine. I've played Owen multiple times and it's always been a super pleasant experience, even the one time I missed a trigger and he gently said no. You can be a competitive player without being annoying.

The people who take it to the extremes like Cedric are the people who aren't good enough to succeed without doing it. And they're miserable to deal with.

o3UXlES.png

Rick and Morty, for those unfamiliar

Yeef

6i9kcmlizj6x.jpg

Stromkirk Mystic
Creature - Vampire/Horror
Trample
When ~ deals combat damage to a player, exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may play that card.
Madness 1R
3/2

I believe that when you sign up to play a tournament at competitive REL, you're not just playing Magic anymore. You're playing it under an additional ruleset. You've agreed to sit at the table at an exact time, play at an appropriate pace, shuffle in certain ways, etc.

I don't disagree with any of that and it also has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

I completely understand why you dislike what that implies as far as player behavior, but I really can't see how you execute Magic at a competitive level without it.

By treating it like any other competitive activity where players behaving like sociopathic children isn't considered appropriate, much less expected. I mean I really don't think this is complicated at all; you build your enforcement program (both the floor rule documents and the procedural training of the people) to disincentivize unethical behavior, then you shame people who admit to doing it anyway.

Reid Duke does just fine. I've played Owen multiple times and it's always been a super pleasant experience, even the one time I missed a trigger and he gently said no. You can be a competitive player without being annoying.

I played Josh Utter-Leyton at the 2HG Gatecrash pre-release and he was very considerate about utterly crushing us!

kirblar

Oh, I get the mana transform thing now- Eldrazi traditionally have high CCs, this is them "going big", essentially. Much like Invokers and such in prior sets. It works feel-wise.

At first, I wasn't following you guys saying this was better than Prophetic Flamespeaker, but I had misremembered it as a 2/2 (it's a 1/3), so yeah, this is probably better. We hadn't seen this effect for a couple of sets, so I'm glad they're still doing it.

Nissa's flavor text is hilarious, with how she seems so smug about nature on the front, but then just throws up her arms and says "Fuck it" on the back. Anyway, both of these cards seem like they could be good.

Crocodile

He's a very friendly nice person when people interact in public.

That's not where the issues lie - it's with stuff like the way he treated players w/ legit complaints about the police presence at their Philly event. It's really gross, but it's also not obvious.

That's more than can be said of many Magic people.........

What was the Philly incident?

You should know by now that gaf are experts but are terrible at evaluating cards haha.

My motto: If its good in most Cubes, you should probably pick some of them up. Sometimes I don't have the time/money to follow my own advice all the time though which can suck. But I feel I have an overall good batting average.

Oh, I get the mana transform thing now- Eldrazi traditionally have high CCs, this is them "going big", essentially. Much like Invokers and such in prior sets. It works feel-wise.

Also provides a way to spend you mana and not play spells so classic Werewolves can flip

kirblar

What was the Philly incident?
Cops were hassling anyone male because of something involving a cheerleading competition, preventing people from going to the food vendor because it was on the "wrong side" even though nothing was actually marked on site. It was bad.

When people complained directly on twitter about it, his response was really gross/dismissive.

Yeef

There's also the curve issue. SOI has a very tight curve, because missing your plays means your opponent's werewolves flip. Eldrazi naturally want to have high costs, so having activated transformations avoids that issue a bit for EMN limited and allows them to spread the curve out more.

alternade

Ugh so this Gatewatch is literally Power Rangers and that's their finishing move Everytime?

Locking Emrakul in the moon is better than "Chandra just used a lot of fire and they died."
And yeah, I'm well past done with this Power Rangers stuff. I understand they need a core group of attractive humanish characters to base the movie around but they've handled it in about as bland a way as possible.

Bonus Tamiyo:

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The movie is never ever coming out. I might make a lot of bold predictions but I feel pretty solid on this one.

Yeah, most of the Liliana artwork in this set has been phenomenal. There's this sort of classic movie monster vibe (like, 50's Universal Studios) with her portrayal and I love it.

ultron87

That story page with that art says she joins because they can help her kill the other demons without her having to use the Chain Veil, which is significantly draining her.

OnPoint

It'll be interesting to see what reason they give for Liliana caring about protecting others.

They've been pretty clear about setting this up: She needs help dealing with the Chain Veil curse. Plus she kinda sorta cares about Jace. Two selfish reasons that point her in the direction of doing the right thing. I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine. Tit for tat. It's classic Maro Black philosophy.

Seriously, if you read between the lines with Maro's responses, you'll see that he basically gave this away. He always says Black will act to help so long as it benefits Black. And he's answered a ton of questions about it over the last few months.

It'll be interesting to see what reason they give for Liliana caring about protecting others.

I assume she doesn't want to get turned into a quivering mess of tentacles, either. I mean, she's into some weird shit--like Jace--but probably not that.

I usually set my bar pretty low, in terms of narrative devices, for "how you get someone to fight against an apocalyptic threat", though, I'll admit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom