• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note that you can use the first ability on your opponent's creatures to either disincentivize them from attacking, or to draw two cards

OnPoint

She's tough to evaluate. Either she's the stone nuts or she's unplayable. I love that her +1 lets you draw on blocks. Also works nicely with double strike.

DrArchon

I read her first ability as "deals combat damage to a player" and was very underwhelmed at first. But drawing a card off of any combat damage is a lot better. It might actually deter people trying to attack into her just because of those two free cards you could get from chump blockers. If you throw in enough guys with Vigilance you could get four cards from her first ability, which is nuts.

Double lockdown for -2 seems really solid, but it's definitely not as good as the original Tamiyo's ability to just lock one thing down forever.

Ult is nuts but it'll never come up.

Tamiyo is... interesting. 4 loyalty for 4 mana is solid. You can use the +1 on your opponents creatures to discourage them from attacking or blocking, or potentially draw 2 cards which is nice. -2 is good at protecting her, and the ultimate is Ancestral Recall + Omniscience emblem for -7, which is nutz.

Maledict

I didn't realize it was just combat damage - my brain automatically read it as combat damage to a player. That does make it better.

As does using it on your opponents best two creatures. Saying that, if attacking letsyou kill the planeswalker then getting two cards out of it isn't going to stop anyone from swinging.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Tamiyo is... interesting. 4 loyalty for 4 mana is solid. You can use the +1 on your opponents creatures to discourage them from attacking or blocking, or potentially draw 2 cards which is nice. -2 is good at protecting her, and the ultimate is Ancestral Recall + Omniscience emblem for -7, which is nutz.

She's a great casual card, but i have no idea where she fits now. I don't think G/W decks want to splash blue just for her. Maybe Kaladesh shakes things up?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Interesting card that like many cards will probably be pushed out until Collected Company rotates.

jph139

Tamiyo is... yeah, weird. It definitely doesn't feel very evocative of the character or setting - I mean, I guess the tapping does, but "attack with dudes" and "shit out your hand" feel kind of strange. No idea if she's playable, like, in general.

She's a great casual card, but i have no idea where she fits now. I don't think G/W decks want to splash blue just for her. Maybe Kaladesh shakes things up?

I could see Bant Company playing with this. Other than that, EDH maybe? I notice you could potentially get multiple draws if your creatures have double strike, or if they block against multiple opponents before your next turn.

El Topo

is this some kind of mockup card? none of the abilities have anything to do with field research

Why not? She gets results from observing creatures in battle and to allow her studies to go through without problem she has the ability to tap them. Once she has gathered enough results (i.e. loyalty) she makes a breakthrough discovery and coupled with her previous results this allows her to cast spells from hand without paying mana costs. It's wonky, no doubt about that, but I can kind of see the idea they had.

ultron87

Yeah, her plus is thematically similar to the minus on her first card. She gets to draw cards after she's seen how a creature did a thing.

DrArchon

I could see Bant Company playing with this. Other than that, EDH maybe? I notice you could potentially get multiple draws if your creatures have double strike, or if they block against multiple opponents before your next turn.

New goal: get two guys with double strike and vigilance and draw 8 cards with Tamiyo's +1.

It might be low power enough in edh people could overlook her, maybe.

I don't think Tamiyo has a place in standard until Origins Nissa rotates

Tamiyo may not directly fit into any existing deck but she could certainly find a spot in a new one or moderately modified one. Depending on the rest of the set maybe some sort of Bant tokens deck could be a thing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
preyupon.jpg
peaceofmind.jpg

Also, you don't play Bant to try and make Tamiyo good.

You just dump her in tokens and count on Oath of Nissa to take care of the blue part.

(No, I don't think Tamiyo is actually good)

Ugh so this Gatewatch is literally Power Rangers and that's their finishing move Everytime?

Unlike "hey just set them on fire maybe???" taking the Macguffin monster prison that was set up five years ago and shoving a big monster into it is totally logical and reasonable plotting.

wasn't lilly retconned into a premending planeswalker? that means she's, like, 10,000 years old.

Not retconned, she was always pre-mending. Her backstory is about the demonic pact and that's a direct result of the mending letting her start to age.

I think Liliana is like two thousand years old.

Yes, she's old enough that she grew up in a pre-Apocalypse Dominaria.

is this some kind of mockup card? none of the abilities have anything to do with field research

The first ability is sending your minions out to investigate something and learning something in the process even if they die (R.I.P. Jenrik 😂😂😂)

The last ability is figuring out the mystery of the plane and getting to do cool stuff (like shove a monster into the moon) as a result.

The second ability doesn't directly fit particularly, but what can you do.

Angry Grimace

i also don't know what's white about her card

Cards cant be good in standard without being white so they thought it would push the card to add white mana to her casting cost.

El Topo

Isn't the whole "Tap target creature" thing also (to some extent) part of White? I mean, we've had cards like Kor Hookmaster, although they usually focussed on creatures, not nonland permanents.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/S...&color=+@(+[W])&text=+["tap target creature"]

The second ability doesn't directly fit particularly, but what can you do.

The second ability makes it potentially easier and/or more reasonable for her to use the first ability during the next turn, i.e. it protects herself and her research.

Angry Grimace

First ability is green and blue, second ability is white and blue, third ability is blue only.

The card doesn't break color pie in the least as mono-blue, actually. Tap/doesn't untap is a blue ability.

The only way she's arguably white is that her +1 can be used defensively.

Prey upon seems busted in limited. 1 mana removal and all you need is a creature with decent toughness.

Fight is a lot worse than the Rabid Bite ability, its never been particularly busted the previous times it was printed. It is usually a good limited card that you will always play, but not a great one.

jph139

She should have been UG if only to give her card a nicer frame - the solid gold looks godawful and clashes hard with the cool tones of the art.

OnPoint

You could make the argument that her minus ability is this:

Image.ashx

but the 'doesn't untap' clause makes it a blue ability for sure.

Angry Grimace

You could make the argument that her minus ability is this:

Image.ashx

but the 'doesn't untap' clause makes it a blue ability for sure.

Tap is white, tap/doesn't untap is blue (its basically freezing).

I mean, its sort of similar to detain from RTR, which was white as well as blue, but I think its kind of an extension of the color pie to say its white.

The best argument is that the defensive nature of her first ability sort of kind of counts as white.

OnPoint

I mean, its sort of similar to detain from RTR, which was white as well as blue, but I think its kind of an extension of the color pie to say its white.

The best argument is that the defensive nature of her first ability sort of kind of counts as white.

I literally said the bolded in my post you quoted lol

I agree with you completely.

G.ZZZ

Her +1 is deceptively good. If both player have only 1 creature, use it on both, and if he block, you draw 2. Then if he attack, you draw again, draw 3 and eat an attack.

Her -2 can be really good, allowing alpha strikes, solving boards in general.

4 starting is decent.

Her only problem that i can see is the mana cost, and the fact that she usually lose in strict walker vs walker fight vs many walkers, but as long as you have some minion down, she's better than almost anything imho. Will see play in Standard, probably modern, possibly legacy, not Vintage (too restrictive mana cost that can't be accelerated).

El Topo

There have been cards that prevent your opponent to untap creatures in White, notably Kor Hookmaster, Entangling Trap and Blinding Beam.

Her only problem that i can see is the mana cost, and the fact that she usually lose in strict walker vs walker fight vs many walkers, but as long as you have some minion down, she's better than almost anything imho. Will see play in Standard, probably modern, possibly legacy, not Vintage (too restrictive mana cost that can't be accelerated).

The only deck that can play her in modern right now is Bant Eldrazi, the other decks are CoCo decks and other spells take priority over diluting CoCo.

The card doesn't break color pie in the least as mono-blue, actually. Tap/doesn't untap is a blue ability.

Yes, sorry, that was what I meant. Ability one can go in mono-blue or mono-green. Ability two can go in mono-blue or mono-white. She's Bant because this exact card costs 5 mana if it's mono-blue.

Eh, white has gotten it (at much, much lower volume than blue) for a long time. Ajani Vengeant basically gets this out of white, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom