• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supast4r

What are people's guess for Rosewater's card tomorrow?

-Possible reprints that would match flavor that it could be: Liliana of the veil, Damnation, innocent blood.

-Possible new cards: Oath of liiana, Mythic vanilla creature, werewolf lord, Legendary Ooze/spider.

My guess is that it's Liliana of the veil. She is getting revealed tomorrow and his article will be centered around they were able to bring her back from a design perspective.

What are people's guess for Rosewater's card tomorrow?

-Possible reprints that would match flavor that it could be: Liliana of the veil, Damnation, innocent blood.

-Possible new cards: Oath of liiana, Mythic vanilla creature, werewolf lord, Legendary Ooze/spider.

My guess is that it's Liliana of the veil. She is getting revealed tomorrow and his article will be centered around they were able to bring her back from a design perspective.

MaRo isn't the one who reveals reprints, unless it's something like Battle of Wits. It's definitely a wacky card, and my bet is on an ooze lord.

Anyway,
Summary Dismissal - They had to print "counter uncounterable spells" sometime. The wording of exiling spells but countering abilities is odd, but I guess it's to make it clear that creatures don't lose keyword abilities and such.
Providence - Weird, especially since this of all things is getting a one-word card name.
Spirit of the Hunt - Odd effect to see in green, but I suppose maybe they're trying out toughness boosting in place of regeneration.

It has to be something people have actually asked for (which eliminates the vanilla mythic) and that they've asked for for a long time (which eliminates Oath of Liliana.) This article is going to have the story of how they wound up having an Innistrad block where Emrakul is the villain so it'll be something that fits with that. It could be another tribal legend but there's not like a ton of legendary space left in the set and I doubt they went and checked two different boxes for "tribe legend people asked for" in the same set.

CmfaRs5XEAAcn_a.jpg

.......kay.

Why exactly am I supposed to care about 13*2 again? This seems too clever by half.

As for the card itself? Seems cool enough, and I'm curious what the other cards in the cycle do (that would be a tremendous waste of a name if it's not part of a cycle).

Adaren

I think 26 is intended to suggest that some haunting spirit / cursed ghost is the thing answering the prayer. The flavor text implies it, and it makes sense since the angels who would have formerly answered prayers are all insane now. Perhaps it's hinting at a new Innistrad spirit-worshipping religion that could form post-EMN?

Also, two rows of 13 candles each.

I like the "reveal from your hand" idea on a card with a game-swinging effect. Knowing you have it will define your opponent's game plan, and it'll probably lead to some fun banter even if you never get to actually cast it. Looks fun overall.

Ashodin

leakyfaucet is back with Liliana, The Last Hope's abilities

+1: Up to one target creature gets -2/-1 until end of turn.
-2: Put the top two cards of your library into your graveyard, then return up to one creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
-7: Emblem.

Or if you want it in fakeyfakerson mockup (CMC and loyalty my guess)

m0nmGwC.png

Eh, it protects itself (assuming the top ability is actually "start of your next turn" like these tend to be with planeswalkers) and has repeatable semi-card draw. If it costs 3, then it's probably fine, just boring.

duxstar

So dumb question because I just know it will come up in EDH but if I have Dragonlord Dromoka out it still doesnt stop the ability of them casting spells on my turn right ? What if I cast Dromoka and in response they play this ?

I like knowing when my general is out my stuff isnt getting countered and Im safe to do stuff on my turn with no interference.

So dumb question because I just know it will come up in EDH but if I have Dragonlord Dromoka out it still doesnt stop the ability of them casting spells on my turn right ? What if I cast Dromoka and in response they play this ?

I like knowing when my general is out my stuff isnt getting countered and Im safe to do stuff on my turn with no interference.

When Dromoka is on the stack, everything is fair game. Bolting, Dismember, etc. Once she resolves then they can't do anything.

Ashodin

if it really is the new liliana (maybe higher loyalty? She might start at 5 for three mana), people are gonna bitch like fuck about no liliana of the veil (let's be honest they were going to anyway)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
if it really is the new liliana (maybe higher loyalty? She might start at 5 for three mana), people are gonna bitch like fuck about no liliana of the veil (let's be honest they were going to anyway)

As they should about a reprint. But I dont know why people thought she wouldnt be new in a set that she has a major role in.

Santiako

t93dvx7jr67x.png

United Resistance - 1RR.
Sorcery - Rare

Escalate 1.

Target player discards all cards in his hand, then draws that many cards.
~ deals four damage to target creature.
~ deals three damage to target opponent.

Seems pretty good to me.

Crocodile

I feel that Spider needed an extra point or two of toughness OR Deathtouch to really "get there". 6/11 worth of power over 4 bodies if Delirium is active isn't nothing though. It's 100% Maro's spoiler though LOL.

Red rare looks pretty good.

Ashodin

t93dvx7jr67x.png

United Resistance - 1RR.
Sorcery - Rare

Escalate 1.

Seems pretty good to me.
goddamn sorcery speed bullshit

Red fucking sucks

Maledict

That spider seems awful. Really feels like something is missing from it - either constant generation of spiders, or death touch, or just more stats in general. Seems very over costed for all effects.

I'm not sure how much people played with delirium in constructed, it's actually not that easy to hit on curve in standard even.
My grixis deck was highly gy focused and even then if the stars didn't align I would have had to make actively very bad plays to hit delirium, killing my own jace with a spell bad.

With pick the brain and to the slaughter being my only delirium cards it wasn't always a huge desire but in certain matchups both of them were essential to hit and devastating if I missed.

G.ZZZ

t93dvx7jr67x.png

United Resistance - 1RR.
Sorcery - Rare

Escalate 1.

Seems pretty good to me.

Oh, red rare is trashcan tier, who would've guessed.

Still waiting for that madness enabler in red. Let me guess WotC, we're gonna get a madness block and the only playable madness enabler is a black common ? Well played. Because red is the impulsive color so it can't get this and that, except when we do an impuslive mechanic, in which case red isn't actually that impuslive more "emotional" so it can't get that either, sure why not.

Crocodile

The sorcery cycle from Born of the Gods.

So bad I forgot they existed :p

I don't' feel these escalate cards are that bad. They all seem functional and playable. I don't expect them to be anything but dollar rares nor do I expect them to be prominent 4-ofs in Standard based on what we've seen so far. But, again so far, they don't seem so bad as to be embarrassing/horrendously overcosted.

Hero

I love how they wanted to nerf mono-red/RDW decks but gave red absolutely nothing in exchange.

Like this color has been absolute shit for the last year.

duxstar

Lol garbage tier green mythic, gotta love it it might as well read 3/5 spider with reach. Delirium is just too hard to pull off to make it viable. If a 4/5 Trample flying 4 drop in black didnt see play and force a delirium deck a 3/5 spider sure isnt going to do much more.

Set is so underwhelming atm

Firemind

Overcosted Sorcery Speed utility spells that won't actually see play.
How is 4 damage for 3 mana overcosted? Sure, 3 damage to the dome for 3 is overcosted, but for 4 mana you get to do both which is pretty reasonable. Unless I somehow misinterpreted Escalate.

OnPoint

People ask for spider and werewolf commanders.

"But you didn't say 'good' spider and werewolf commanders..."

... and the Monkey's Paw curls another finger...

Daedardus

How is 4 damage for 3 mana overcosted? Sure, 3 damage to the dome for 3 is overcosted, but for 4 mana you get to do both which is pretty reasonable. Unless I somehow misinterpreted Escalate.

I think the problem lies with how these Escalate / Modal spells have to be balanced. You will want to cast at least two modes, since once mode is mostly always overcosted on its own. The problem with this spell is that the choice is rather narrow. It's a sorcery that can do two different things that some instants can do in one thing. Sure, it can deal 4 damage to a creature, but I think it shows how far red burn spells have been on a downwards spiral compared to the M10 days. I can't judge if that's a bad thing, since it does allow more creature based strategies, but I think Standard now shows that something like Strike can bring a bit more balance. I'd love to see Bolt back, but I acknowledge that it might be too powerful for how they want to plan Standard.

Firemind

^^ LOL

4 damage for 3 mana spells usually have a downside. Sure, Searing Blaze is two mana cheaper, but this doesn't brick against creatureless decks. Dealing 3 damage and discarding a bunch of lands seems pretty decent against control. Not that mono red historically has a bad control matchup. Against midrange, killing a creature and dealing 3 is decent too. This isn't like the Ravnica charms which were actually overcosted. I mean, I've been complaining for a lack of burn for quite some time. This one isn't actually bad.

OnPoint

I am underwhelmed but I'm not sure if it's because she's how she is, or if it's just because she's not LotV.

Gotta think on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom