• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liliana seems totally solid to me. She comes out early in a control deck, forces your opponent to overextend into your Languishes, and then lets your Languishes and Grasps kill pumped Sylvan Advocates. If they can't remove her, you get what is basically a win-the-game emblem for a control deck.

To be fair, her emblem isn't great alongside Virulent Plague and her minus does next to nothing in control. I don't really think she's a control planeswalker to be honest.

Liliana is so bad. Worst once since Tibalt?

Not even close. Tibalt couldn't even reliably +1 without potentially screwing you over. Biggest issue with Lili is she does little to answer the current format and LotV is an extremely tough act to follow.

Liliana is so bad. Worst once since Tibalt?

She's definitely better than Gideon, Champion of Justice, Kiora Master of the Depths, Narset and Jace, The Living Guildpact. I actually think she's quite good. How strong exactly is hard to say but I do think she's better than the new Tamiyo.

I also said the new Nissa was strong back when people were making fun of her. 3-mana planeswalkers that protect themselves are no joke.

Ashodin

Flow means I'll be able to ice Nissa in GW tokens matches or Salesman advocate too. Goddamn sufficient burn gets me hype

New Lili is actually really similar to Kiora 1. The fog effect has upsides and downsides on Kiora's, and the downtick isn't as clean, but coming down a turn earlier is huge.

I actually think that Lili is going to make certain cards harder to play. Deathcap Cultivator, Hangarback Walker, basically any aristocrats deck.

Ashodin

This set is looking like booty. The mechanics from SOI just feel tacked on here, and Escalate is some butt. It could be so much better than they made it, like I was hoping for a black one with Pay 5 life for each mode for glorious risk/reward shit but nope lol discard a card (when madness is fucking shit) and Kicker 5.0

The coolest thing out the set is Meld and they fucked that up by only including 3 cards.

I've found the set plenty interesting so far.

But then again, I was one of the people that found the spoilers for Tarkir block rather boring.

I think something went wrong with my jace...

6ILsesTuijPKPBXN0yiv7Fp85CdvJ.jpg

y2dvd

https://mindlessautomaton.squarespa...ed-list-buyouts-are-a-symptom-not-the-disease

Reading those reddit threads, I didn't realize how dead Legacy is. It's pretty frustrating because with the release of EMA, it peaked my interest in the format and I was able to obtain a great number of pieces for my decks, but Duals is so inaccessible.

I may be able to trade for some Tropical Islands, but I'd probably have to give up a bunch of Modern cards. Would you try to trade into Duals or not bother with legacy and trade away all your legacy staples for modern?

Ashodin

I've found the set plenty interesting so far.

But then again, I was one of the people that found the spoilers for Tarkir block rather boring.

It's interesting, sure.

As someone who loves standard more than any other format, I hate that the cards themselves don't feel like a good shakeup to the format (green/white arguably gets even BETTER, while white being my favorite color, I'd like to see other colors get their due).

They've gone on record saying that they didn't think GW Tokens would be THAT amazing, but I guess they forgot about CoCo. (never forget about coco)

OnPoint

It feels like any of the underwhelming sets in recent memory because it's one of them. Dark Ascension, Dragon's Maze, Born of the Gods, Fate Reforged, and now this. This is the next one in the list. Which is ok I guess, we need down sets as well. It's just always rough to stomach when we are hungry for new fun stuff. Conspiracy 2, you are my only summer hope.

Crocodile

0TDJB6n.png

Source

I like this card for my Tribal Cube but I'm getting a bit tired of WOTC's "thou shall not discard more than one card per turn" decree. They really don't want madness to take off.

EDIT: *shakes fist @ SigmasonicX*

It's a Bearshaper w/ a draw engine, in this case it's fine.

This made me check to see if there actually is a bear spellshaper, and there isn't. But that did remind me of Zombie Infestation. I checked the number crunch, and there is still room for it. Would it be any good this Standard?

Also, one thing to note about Cryptbreaker is that you can use the zombie just created to activate the card draw ability, since "tap untapped creature" can be done with summoning sickness.

EDIT: I also wonder about Pyrohemia (or Pestilence). Would that card be helpful?

alternade

I'm kind of glad the spider legend is shit so I don't have to see a table full of spider tokens ever. Shudder

I wouldn't say this set is dragons maze level suckage quite yet. Honestly outside of the supplemental products the standard sets have been been gradually decreasing the power level and complexity for no other reason than NEW PLAYERS.

What was the last card that made you go "huh....that a new way to play"?

Toxi

Banned
I'm kind of glad the spider legend is shit so I don't have to see a table full of spider tokens ever. Shudder

I wouldn't say this set is dragons maze level suckage quite yet. Honestly outside of the supplemental products the standard sets have been been gradually decreasing the power level and complexity for no other reason than NEW PLAYERS.

This isn't true at all. Compare the complexity of Shadows Over Innistrad to Shards of Alara.

Transform alone is a large source of complexity; for example, transforming from one type of permanent to another.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The reason people don't like the set is because it looks like shit where they played everything as safe as possible.

Joe Molotov

I like this card for my Tribal Cube but I'm getting a bit tired of WOTC's "thou shall not discard more than one card per turn" decree. They really don't want madness to take off.

EDIT: *shakes fist @ SigmasonicX*

ieJCr2f.png

This is the cornerstone of my Lupine Prototype deck.

Crocodile

I like the set, six very interesting cube cards. That's more than SoI I think.

Er I don't think I agree

Non-Embarrassing cards from SOI you could include in your Cube (Regular or Themed)

Declaration in Stone
Avacyn
Anguished Unmaking
Tireless Tracker
Duskwatch Reciter
Heir to Falkenrath
Asylum Visitor
All the Planeswalkers
All the Tribal Lords
Multiple of the Delirium Cards

You could find some uses for more but overall I'd call SOI a very solid set for most Cubes

I think the question is less "is this new" and more "is this interesting". Investigate was an awesome mechanic to play with last set. Oath of the Gatewatch was so powerful it broke Modern for a bit. I don't think you can really draw a straight line of "suckage" from the past to the present be it along complexity or power level axes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oath of the Gatewatch wasn't even powerful, it was Eye and Temple that were powerful.

Ashodin

Oath of the Gatewatch wasn't even powerful, it was Eye and Temple that were powerful.

TKS is still pretty damn good card, and so is Reality Smasher

qkwjdqjw_jqwdEN_EMN_MagicDuels_Product_Shot.png

There's a GW Legend in their hand that's new so LOL

It's probably Sigarda 3.0

Also it's a screenshot for ants

I'm betting Thalia's sword is an equip. QUOTE ME

Crocodile

Those cards were basically bulk until Oath. It take two to break Modern (though yes the lands were the most problematic of the cards). Are we also pretending Slyvan Advocate, Reflector Mage, Kalitas, Chandra, Nissa, Eldrazi Displacer, Goblin Dark-Dwellers, etc. don't exist?

No, c'mon, I'm not going to comment on quality, but this is absurd. KTK and BFZ are two of the more complex blocks ever (and almost certainly the second most complex set of two consecutive blocks, following Time Spiral -> Lorwyn.) SOI is a step down from there but it's still got DFCs and madness and a bunch of other weird stuff. Standard decks, even the ones people don't like, are frequently more intricate and have more decision points than many previous eras of Standard. There's just no case to be made that if there's a problem with current set design it's that these sets are too simple.

I think the question is less "is this new" and more "is this interesting". Investigate was an awesome mechanic to play with last set. Oath of the Gatewatch was so powerful it broke Modern for a bit. I don't think you can really draw a straight line of "suckage" from the past to the present be it along complexity or power level axes.

Right, I mean, for me, the last few years go from RTR (two solid large sets with an astonishingly bad small set) to Theros (a solid B+/A- big set with a D-rating small set followed by like a B-) to KTK (an all-time-great first set, a nifty but awkward small set, and a kind of boring big set that everyone thought was weak but then turned out to be full of power cards) to BFZ (worst big set of the modern era, then as close as you can get to salvaging the block with the middle set) to SOI (the first really successful return set to start, and then we're still seeing with EMN.) There are good and bad sets across that whole list, and my two favorites of that time period (KTK and SOI) are in the last two years. There's no clear arc of power level; we're actually coming off a local maximum in complexity. Most trendlines are historically pretty tough to fit to Magic set releases.

Ian Duke and Erik Lauer have the killer instinct you need for a lead developer..

Kaladesh is Maro and Shawn Main co-leading design with Ian and Erik co-leading development, which is (absent tricking Garfield into working on another set) probably the closest to a dream team you can get in current Magic R&D.

With EMN, I'm a little surprised just because Sam Stoddard a) is generally pretty sharp in his column and on Twitter (unlike LaPille whose bad opinions were on full display everywhere) and b) had his previous lead on Magic Origins, which wasn't exactly restrained, at least by Core Set standards.

You are dead wrong on this. It's one of the strongest constructed sets ever printed.

The closest points of comparison that come immediately to mind are Future Sight and New Phyrexia (block-ending small sets that rampaged all over constructed formats of every stripe) but neither of those had as significant an effect on Standard. OGW was full of ridiculous cards.

duxstar

If they make Sigarda shitty just because g/w is doing well right now i wont forgive them. Theyve already ruined her once this set, twice in the same block would be too much.

Give me something close to old Sigarda, I dont want another 8 drop angel that does nothing.

Who am I kidding , we're getting a Linvala/Bruna type card

kirblar

Jesus, no wonder Maro's so high on it.

RIP Aether Revolt team living up to that.

Of note, we don't have a B/W rare/Mythic as of yet. Hope for Zombie Angel remains.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Those cards were basically bulk until Oath. It take two to break Modern (though yes the lands were the most problematic of the cards). Are we also pretending Slyvan Advocate, Reflector Mage, Kalitas, Chandra, Nissa, Eldrazi Displacer, Goblin Dark-Dwellers, etc. don't exist?

Worldbreaker, Matter Reshaper, Stormchaser Mage, Eldrazi Mimic, Sphinx of the Final Word, Oath of Nissa

Its hilarious because Gatewatch pretty much supplied the playables for entirely new deck archetypes in Legacy and Vintage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom