• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mournwillow has haste, stops 2 power or less creatures from blocking and is not red, the fuck

LSV posted this quoting mtg_Law and really does seem like missed opportunities.
CmjtfZeVYAACnw-.jpg:large

It's from the Sperling's sick of it article

El Topo

Gotta save stuff for the inevitable return to the plane (or mechanic) I guess. That's fine. Can't cram every cool idea into a set.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209186350]Someone stop me from jamming 4 copies of Whispers of Emrakul in every deck.[/QUOTE]
hSQj899.png

kirblar

This is such a bizarre choice for a Mythic.

edit: Also seems like the uncommons are part of the gold cycle in this set? Such weird choices.

DrArchon

Oh man, that Flayer is fucking hype. 2 mana, potentially 4/4, helps enable Delirium, gets rid of crap in the way of good cards, helps with reanimation strats. Digging 3 deep is really nice.

That's fucking nuts. Might make me consider a really agressive Delirium deck

Maledict

Really not sure why you would make a mechanic enabler a mythic card - that makes no sense to me. Surely it should be the mechanic pay off cards that are mythic not the enablers?

red13th

Er I don't think I agree

Non-Embarrassing cards from SOI you could include in your Cube (Regular or Themed)

Declaration in Stone
Avacyn
Anguished Unmaking
Tireless Tracker
Duskwatch Reciter
Heir to Falkenrath
Asylum Visitor
All the Planeswalkers
All the Tribal Lords
Multiple of the Delirium Cards

You could find some uses for more but overall I'd call SOI a very solid set for most Cubes

Yup SOI was a great set for cubes, Asylum Visitor and Falkenrath Gorger are uncutabble IMO. I wouldn't cube the last three ones you listed though, unless my cube was huge.
EMN has great cards for a small set, Thalia and Selfless Soul seem amazing (Selfless Soul + Sun Titan :eek: :eek: :eek:). I'm pretty happy with it even if they spoil no other cubeworthy cards.

Daedardus

Ooh, I like Grim Fayer. Finally a card that's excited me the moment I saw it. Agree on the part that he should be rare, though.

en_XJbw9FPngI.png
en_ht8Lsr1ZtJ.png

It feels like half this set was designed for Commander.

EDIT: Actually that dragon isn't half bad, that's a pretty good form of removal protection.

Mirrorwing Dragon is interesting. Opponent's can't target it with removal without also hitting their own side of the board. A strong Limited beater at least.

Crocodile

Grim Flayer is going to have a Voice of Resurgence-like price trajectory, isn't it?

Only if the rest of the set is a value vaccum

en_XJbw9FPngI.png
en_ht8Lsr1ZtJ.png

So if an opponent targets your dragon with a removal spell, it nukes all their creatures and if you target the dragon with a good (pump?) spell it targets all your creatures? Interesting.

The enchantment can fudge off for all I care. They need to just show the whole set already. They can't have too many head-turning cards left to spoil :/

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209186350]Someone stop me from jamming 4 copies of Whispers of Emrakul in every deck.[/QUOTE]
If the card sees play it's probably as a one of that you recur with Den Protector or Seasons Past.

Daedardus

The dragon looks interesting. Trying to think of a way you can break the card in casual formats by casting some spell that has a secondary effect. It's a lot better than Zada because it has a weird form of removal protection. Great art, too. Lots better than the usual Mythic dragon art.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
The dragon looks interesting. Trying to think of a way you can break the card in casual formats by casting some spell that has a secondary effect. It's a lot better than Zada because it has a weird form of removal protection. Great art, too. Lots better than the usual Mythic dragon art.
It can also backfire though; opponent targets it with a pump spell / cantrip and their entire team gets pumped / they draw lotsa cards. Still definitely interesting, but can also potentially backfire.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's the problem, it's mythic just because it'll be a constructed staple like Raptor, Voice, Lotus Cobra, etc

I don't think it will be. I don't think I would take Sylvan Advocate out of the deck to play this.

It can also backfire though; opponent targets it with a pump spell / cantrip and their entire team gets pumped / they draw lotsa cards. Still definitely interesting, but can also potentially backfire.

I actually think it makes it more interesting. It can lead to all sorts of interactions and results.

Daedardus

I think that's what makes it so great though. I'm sure my casual friends will find it fun to play with. Possibilities are endless.

Angry Grimace

Nobody plays pump spells and cantrips. Even in EDH I don't see people playing those.

I kinda want to build a janky red deck with that dragon and Zada and fill it with token makers and Titan's Strength type effects. Might be fun for an FNM.

alternade

I'm actually really excited by that enchantment. Other than JTMS are there ways to consistently fateseal opponents each turn or just have them reveal the top card?

Angry Grimace

This feels eternal playable. The question is how hard will it be to set off Delirium?

According to MTGS, it doesn't matter. Card can't beat Tarmogoyf in combat so it is bad.

Half-assing Meld was a very bad call.

It's the most tack-on mechanic they've done in forever. I don't know if it was trepidation about how it would be received, or the number of boxes you have to check, or how hard it was to balance all three of the cards, or something else, but they did such a half-assed job on it I can't realistically see it being popular enough to come back ever.

It's the most tack-on mechanic they've done in forever. I don't know if it was trepidation about how it would be received, or the number of boxes you have to check, or how hard it was to balance all three of the cards, or something else, but they did such a half-assed job on it I can't realistically see it being popular enough to come back ever.

I honestly can't think of any major mechanic they've done that has been quite as explicitly tossed in, even when mechanics have been explicitly tossed in. It feels like something that would be a one-of in a theoretical Future Sight 2. I just don't get what they're trying to get out of it here. 3 melds and none of them seem pushed at all so how are they expecting much feedback? Is meld such an unpopular concept in-house that they only want to work with it going forward if it gets a super positive reception despite barely existing?

Angry Grimace

I honestly can't think of any major mechanic they've done that has been quite as explicitly tossed in, even when mechanics have been explicitly tossed in. It feels like something that would be a one-of in a theoretical Future Sight 2. I just don't get what they're trying to get out of it here. 3 melds and none of them seem pushed at all so how are they expecting much feedback? Is meld such an unpopular concept in-house that they only want to work with it going forward if it gets a super positive reception despite barely existing?

I mean, I don't know that they aren't pushed; they're all very carefully designed to be reasonable on the front and strong on the back, but that's not something that you can do when you push it out to like, 7 meld cards (which also takes up the entire DFC sheet). At some point you get bad ones and people stop thinking the mechanic is interesting or fun.

Requiring 2 cards to make a card has a lot of inherent challenges that I don't know that you can ever really overcome, particularly not in an Innistrad set where people expect the DFCs to be legitimate DFCs. The mechanic really needs to have an entire set where all of the DFCs are meld cards, but I can see them not wanting to do that either. The result is a weird compromise.

The decision to have so little meld is definitely based on the idea that they wanted to include a lot of "normal" double-faced cards, since any one meld pair gets rid of two of those. However, I think you guys are underestimating the appeal will have at even these low numbers. Even if the rare meld cards don't turn out to be great, people are definitely going to try them out. For people just opening packs, seeing the back of Graf Rats will be enough to get them interested.

Though that does make me think. If Kaladesh has contraption assembling, perhaps they're using meld to solve that, or rather the same technology. There could be component artifacts that have a block of text on the back, and they are assembled to form a single contraction made up of multiple cards, with the rigger providing some extra text somehow.

I'm surprised to see Ride Down again so soon. The hat in its art looked at first like one of those conical hats, which is odd on Innistrad, but it's just a weird angle. Mournwillow's effect is a bit odd in black and green, but green has had "low power creatures can't block" in the past, sort of, and black has haste. Also, Plant Skeleton.

Grim-Flayer_EN2.jpg

Source

Trample + the Delirium bonuses make this card. Relevant at most points in the game. Looks sweet for my Graveyard Cube.
It feels a bit odd as a mythic, but one flavor change could have been enough to justify it: make it Leatherface. Anyway, the "scry to your graveyard" effect is nice.

en_XJbw9FPngI.png
en_ht8Lsr1ZtJ.png

EDIT: Actually that dragon isn't half bad, that's a pretty good form of removal protection.
I really like Mirrorwing Dragon. It fixes Zada's problem of not lasting long enough to matter, since it affects all creatures the spell's controller controls. It will still be the only one destroyed by Ride Down, but I don't think any other significant destruction spells have conditions like that. Like Zada, use Expedite on it. There is the problem that your opponent could help out their creatures with a pump spell, but only a mirror match would probably have pump spells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom