• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about it, I'm realizing the problem with Meld as executed here is that they wanted to use DFC slots for other things and that leads to this kind of ambivalent feeling.

What you'd want to do is do a full block where this is the DFC treatment and the total volume is similar to DFC volume in SOI. Then you can fully design the set around having all these front cards work as normal parts of the set and then use some of the interesting mechanical space on the back (melds that break back apart instead of leaving play, 3-card melds, mix-and-match melds, etc.) over the course of both sets. Probably the right place to do it is an artifact block, there's some obvious flavor executions there.

FWIW, Brisela is single-handedly going to be popular enough to have this mechanic come back eventually.

Though that does make me think. If Kaladesh has contraption assembling, perhaps they're using meld to solve that, or rather the same technology. There could be component artifacts that have a block of text on the back, and they are assembled to form a single contraction made up of multiple cards, with the rigger providing some extra text somehow.

Meld doesn't solve the contraptions problem because it's not an action a creature can perform.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think Brisela will see much if any play outside of casually and even then the problem is that half of the combo is a Chase Mythic.

Santiako

tumblr_inline_o9uqiqLHZu1un14y6_540.png

Straight up grizzly bear for red!

P O W E R C R E E P

tumblr_inline_o9uqiqLHZu1un14y6_540.png

Straight up grizzly bear for red!

P O W E R C R E E P

Oh hey, the finally did it! And just like when they printed Walking Corpse, you can be sure that we'll quickly start getting strictly-betters in red.

The flavor is interesting. Perhaps after Olivia Voldaren is killed, the Falkenrath family starts taking over.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Causal popularity counts for a lot though, doesn't it?

That's the problem: the one casuals can actually play kind of sucks and the other ones are rares/mythics that require you to have two different cards. I don't think there's as much casual appeal as people are imagining with the way they actually implemented it.

I play with a casual friend in Sealed sometimes and the way he plays the game is way different than what most people probably imagine casual games are like. The concept of looking up what cards are in the set would never come up for this guy. If something is Mythic it might as well not exist. Like when I point this out, people always say "no, casuals will look up the card on their phone and then go buy it!" which is not how casual players play the game at all.

Ashodin

There's different levels of casual. Your guy is extreme casual, where playing is a random occurrence and not actively thought about.

Angry Grimace

There's different levels of casual. Your guy is extreme casual, where playing is a random occurrence and not actively thought about.

What you are talking about isn't "casual."

Grimace, I still think you're underestimating how seeing just one common meld card, with half of a big card on the back, will get players interested.

We didn't get the vanilla mythic yet did we?

I'm pretty sure that's in a later set. MaRo talked a few weeks ago as though development of that set was still in progress, so it can't be Eldritch Moon.

Angry Grimace

Grimace, I still think you're underestimating how seeing just one common meld card, with half of a big card on the back, will get players interested.

It might, but there's only one of them they'll reliably see. You complete that one and never see the mechanic again.

Oh hey, the finally did it! And just like when they printed Walking Corpse, you can be sure that we'll quickly start getting strictly-betters in red.

I mean they already did this with a one-mana 2/1 in red sooo.

That's the problem: the one casuals can actually play kind of sucks and the other ones are rares/mythics that require you to have two different cards. I don't think there's as much casual appeal as people are imagining with the way they actually implemented it.

I just don't think being a rare/mythic is really an obstacle to casual enthusiasm. If it's not a multi-copy must-play in major Standard decks it's not gonna be a super expensive card and it's gonna be exactly the kind of thing people with a limited budget seek out to trade for because if you're the only person who has it in a relatively limited pool it's going to be pretty badass.

Firemind

Dragon should have been 5/5. Higher toughness just seems weird to me. Can't complain too much otherwise, except it's ANOTHER card I can't target with Atarka's Command. smfh

I know I've said it in here before, but I just can't get over how cool it is that this set is all about how Ghosts and Zombies have to band together with a team of superheroes in order to save the actual living creatures of the world from Cthulhu

Santiako

I know I've said it in here before, but I just can't get over how cool it is that this set is all about how Ghosts and Zombies have to band together with a team of superheroes in order to save the actual living creatures of the world from Cthulhu

And don't forget that the humans that are not affected by Cthulu are the ones with JoJo stands.

Haines

Banned
This card is going to be a mess in limited lol, all the board filled with 1/3s lol

Yeah. This is a great card.

I wonder if there's card tricks you can do it with it to make it so damage to something. I guess a fight card is the only thing I can think of.

Angry Grimace

Yeah. This is a great card.

I wonder if there's card tricks you can do it with it to make it so damage to something. I guess a fight card is the only thing I can think of.

That's why its ability only works with combat damage, so that you don't cast Chandra's Ignition on it.

Yeef

This is actually a really good card out of the sideboard against certain decks. It's pretty funny if a Gideon swings into it.
"Plus Gideon."

"Okay."

"Swing."

"Before blocks, Rattlechains. Permeating Mass. Block Gideon with the mass."

>:|

[EDIT] Oh right. I forgot GIdeon prevents the damage to avoid wonky loyalty counter interactions. Oh, well.

Angry Grimace

"Plus Gideon."

"Okay."

"Swing."

"Before blocks, Rattlechains. Permeating Mass. Block Gideon with the mass."

>:|

[EDIT] Oh right. I forgot GIdeon prevents the damage to avoid wonky loyalty counter interactions. Oh, well.

If only Wild Slash was still legal and its second mode that was never relevant could be relevant.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Yeef

Grim Flayer is fine at Mythic. It's a 2-drop 4/4 that lets you stack your deck every turn. It would get pretty old at rare.

El Topo

It allows you to control which cards you draw and helps graveyard interaction. That's not too bad for a two-drop that can become a 4/4.

Seligrafo

Are there any active MtG related discords? I'd love to get into a larger community without having to wait for a few days before a judge twitter can answer questions, etc? An MTGAF discord would pretty cool, if there isn't one already.

Santiako

Are there any active MtG related discords? I'd love to get into a larger community without having to wait for a few days before a judge twitter can answer questions, etc? An MTGAF discord would pretty cool, if there isn't one already.

What are discords?

ultron87

For judge questions specifically there is an IRC where people hang out and answer questions very quickly: http://chat.magicjudges.org/mtgrules/

(It isn't loading right now for me, but I'm pretty sure it is still a thing.)

There's not enough of an internet presence (play-wise) for the game to have an active discord, really. Despite the protestations of WotC, there is no esport component to the game and it runs a bit on the slower side, tech-wise, than its competitors.

Seligrafo

There's not enough of an internet presence (play-wise) for the game to have an active discord, really. Despite the protestations of WotC, there is no esport component to the game and it runs a bit on the slower side, tech-wise, than its competitors.

Not necessarily for MTGO (which I don't actually play) but just MTG stuff in general. I guess I could make one? If people would be interested in joining. shrug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom