• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That devil seems decent. I kinda wish it had one more power, just so it could kill a pumped Sylvan Advocate with one Prowess trigger, but at least it's potentially cheap, and grabbing 3 cards after you've burned through your whole hand should be really good.

Maybe the idea is to get it out and then Emerge it into the Octodrazi.

en_l786UcV4GY.png

I was interested in this until I realized it couldn't target players. That's probably for the best though, as that would be ridiculous.

Another cool thing about that devil is it's cheap enough that you can feasibly cash out other red madness cards like Incorrigible Youths or Fiery Temper. Not sure yet if it's worth it to run all of those cards in a list, but I'm happy they finally showed something that has me brewing.

Haines

Banned
Campaign of vengeance is what I like but 5 mana might be too much in limited.

I want it to be be good.

campaignofvengeance.jpg

Actually maybe it's ok. You can play it and attack both on turn 5 with a few dudes. Could even be a finisher.

Maledict

en_l786UcV4GY.png

I was interested in this until I realized it couldn't target players. That's probably for the best though, as that would be ridiculous.

I don't understand why this is a sorcery?

EDIT: okay, re-reading it and the power level is higher than I thought - the damage isn't split amongst targets. Makes sense I guess.

ultron87

Okay, Spell Queller is very cool. Oblivion Ring for spells! I really like how the kind of spell it nabs can vastly change the value of the recast. It's almost a hard counterspell against other counterspells, but against a creature it is less valuable.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Okay, Spell Queller is very cool. Oblivion Ring for spells!

You mean more horseshit that can get cast by Collected Company decks so now they can counter Languish with Collected Company.

DrArchon

Another sorcery speed burn spell. I mean, I know why it's a sorcery, but I'm really hankering for more instant burn.

On the plus side, this is a fantastic combo with the new devil. Discard him, burn for 8+ divided, get crap in your grave for your next Devil to refill the hand you just discarded.

Maybe the idea is to get it out and then Emerge it into the Octodrazi.

Emerging with this dude seems like a no-brainer, but I wonder what kind of deck wants both big ass Emerge dudes and a ton of cheap burn spells to rush this guy out. I'd rather take one or the other myself.

If I were to get both in limited though then I'd definitely try to do something like that.

Spell Queller is interesting (ugh CoCo). I wonder, when it dies can you just cast the spell any time afterwards? I assume you still have to follow the normal timing rules for the exiled card.

Angry Grimace

Spell Queller is interesting (ugh CoCo). I wonder, when it dies can you just cast the spell any time afterwards? I assume you still have to follow the normal timing rules for the exiled card.

No, you have to just cast it right then. That templating always means cast it right then or forever hold your peace. If they wanted you to be able to cast it indefinitely the templating will say "may cast that card as long as it remains in exile."

ultron87

Collected Company can counter Languish now.

That'll probably be a thing to be concerned about in Standard. I still like the card.

You'll get the one chance to play it when the leaves the battlefield trigger resolves, regardless of timing restrictions.

cuc

I need help recalling an old set. Which set from the 1998-2000 era featured a smoke-like monster in its promotional art? The monster is black and humanoid in general shape, with memorably wavy outlines. I think it's moving its arm to smash its opponent in the art.

No, not Laquatus Champion.

The art was probably painted with watercolor or gouache, and not in a photorealistic style. It should be obvious that it is composed of smoke rather than solid matter. It also has two glowing eyes.

The reason I'm asking is because in addition to the usual magazine ads, I also saw it in animated form, in a cutscene from an official learn-to-play CD-ROM.

en_l786UcV4GY.png

Yeaaaaah, there is no way in hell this could be allowed to target players without breaking everything. As it stands, it looks like a legit card that can be used in a variety of ways. I can certainly see this getting play, be it main deck or sideboard, in the right decks.

Angry Grimace

They sure do like weird Fact or Fiction variants

No, you have to just cast it right then. That templating always means cast it right then or forever hold your peace. If they wanted you to be able to cast it indefinitely the templating will say "may cast that card as long as it remains in exile."

You'll get the one chance to play it when the leaves the battlefield trigger resolves, regardless of timing restrictions.

Gotcha. I wasn't 100% sure how that worked. My concern was having a Sorcery-speed nuked and then gone forever if the Spell Queller died outside of your main phase. Thanks for clearing it up!

Maledict

Huh. That's actually much sillier than what I pictured.

Actually it turns out it makes a lot more sense than what we thought.

Nahariri wasn't planning to blow up the entire plane as revenge - her revenge was to put Sorin in the position she was left in. Emrakul would be trapped in the moon, and Sorin would be left trapped on the plane to safeguard it. Exactly as she was with Zendikar.

Unfortunately she didn't anticipate Sorin being a complete dick, and just deciding that he'd rather everything died and Emrakul roamed free rather than him actually having some responsibility for once. They fight, and whilst distracted she seals him in a stone cocoon and then the gate watch end up sealing Emrakul in the moon.

It's fitting with her red / white colours as a plan, and makes more sense than just "Kill everything because!". She just didn't anticipate Sorin's black side winning out over his white side.

Crocodile

This should be entertaining to resolve.

aBZ5Okb.png

The box! The box!

Should've dug for 5 cards *pouts*

It doesn't really work with the Banishing Light template because you can't just have a thing appear on the stack.

I'm not sure I follow. Couldn't they have worded it (if they wanted) "When _____ enters the battlefield, exile target spell with CMC 4 or less an opponent controls until _____ leaves the battlefield. When _______ leaves the battlefield, the exiled card's owner can cast it without paying its mana cost."

Actually it turns out it makes a lot more sense than what we thought.

Nahariri wasn't planning to blow up the entire plane as revenge - her revenge was to put Sorin in the position she was left in. Emrakul would be trapped in the moon, and Sorin would be left trapped on the plane to safeguard it. Exactly as she was with Zendikar.

Unfortunately she didn't anticipate Sorin being a complete dick, and just deciding that he'd rather everything died and Emrakul roamed free rather than him actually having some responsibility for once. They fight, and whilst distracted she seals him in a stone cocoon and then the gate watch end up sealing Emrakul in the moon.

It's fitting with her red / white colours as a plan, and makes more sense than just "Kill everything because!". She just didn't anticipate Sorin's black side winning out over his white side.

To be fair, short of a retcon, Innistrad is doomed regardless of whether they dealt with Emrakul or not.

Depends on where you live honestly. My area regularly has 10 man + legacy FNMs at multiple locations, but they all allow a handful of proxies. I know most places don't have it tho. I'm under the impression that it's mostly east coast big cities that still do it.

Mass price increases on RL stuff was the obvious outcome of printing Eternal Masters, so if Wizards doesn't have some kind of game plan for this eventuality I'll be honestly shocked. Easiest most obvious option being a no-RL format.

usually proxy events are non sanctioned your store gotta be careful doing them at fnms

Maledict

To be fair, short of a retcon, Innistrad is doomed regardless of whether they dealt with Emrakul or not.

why is this BTW? Or are you referring to Avacyn being gone? I sort of think they had the White / Green angel lined up to replace her?

(And at some point when they return to Innistrad they will presumably be addressing the W/B angel and the missing vampire clan).

I just can't get over the expression on this lady listening to Sorin run his mouth in this new illustration. I feel like this is gonna get a lot of use.

NF8RKNkttk_icon.jpg

I mean just look how much she isn't into Sorin's shit.

(Also: didn't the art book spoilers say Sorin kills Olivia? Based on today's story it sounds like that changed.)

Is there some kind of organised buyout going on? Or is it something like a run on the banks, once people start to buy, even more people want to buy before it's sold out, resulting in a feedback loop.

More the latter, but the awareness that this is possible (and, therefore, people actually doing it) has been steadily rising for a few years and we just hit an inflection point in how common it is. Once people realized how penny-ante MTG is compared to real (and even most imaginary) markets this became kind of inevitable; when you can clear out a commodity for five digits suddenly there's a number of people who can give it a shot at minimal risk.

Its not like Wizards has been doing a bang up job in formats without the reserve list either in regards to price or reprints.

People assume a good reprint policy means "dramatically reducing the price of all important cards" but it's exactly these events in Legacy that shows how much difference even their conservative approach makes: prices are much steadier in Modern and the general trend on everything but the top cards has been downwards after reprints. Plus, eliminate the reserve list and you free WotC up to print Modern stuff a little more liberally while still having a more impressive set of reprint-equity cards they can dribble out in minuscule quantities.

ultron87

I'm not sure I follow. Couldn't they have worded it (if they wanted) "When _____ enters the battlefield, exile target spell with CMC 4 or less an opponent controls until _____ leaves the battlefield. When _______ leaves the battlefield, the exiled card's owner can cast it without paying its mana cost."

Banishing Light and similar effects are fine because they're dealing with permanents. What happens when permanents show up on the battlefield is already figured out in the rules. Non-auras are just there, auras get attached to another thing, things trigger if they need to trigger, and everything is happy.

There aren't really rules right now for a spell just showing up on the stack, which is what would happen if you say "target spell is exiled until X leaves the battlefield". When a spell gets put on the stack you need to figure more stuff out like what modes are picked, what targets are chosen if any, additional costs paid, etc. A spell just showing up from exile won't remember these things, because it is a new object from the original spell that was cast.

The two main ways things end up on the stack currently are either casting it, which involves choosing all those things, or copying it, which copies all those choices from the original spell. So it makes sense to have this spell get cast, since that handles it all.

why is this BTW? Or are you referring to Avacyn being gone? I sort of think they had the White / Green angel lined up to replace her?

(And at some point when they return to Innistrad they will presumably be addressing the W/B angel and the missing vampire clan).

Yeah, though we've already seen what the angels were capable of when she was gone before,
fuck all
. I'm pretty sure you're right about Sigarda being lined up to take her place, though I wonder where they're going to get the power from. My prediction?
Asspull.

EDIT: Or maybe Olivia
has grown a brain and understands the necessity of balance and uses the trapped Sorin as a supercharger for Sigarda 3.0?

Maledict

And yeah, clearly the art book story was incorrect judging by today's Magic Story. Shame really as it made more sense. Now Nahari is back to just being crazed and wanting to hurt Sorin and blow everything up.

Joe Molotov

Yeah, though we've already seen what the angels were capable of when she was gone before,
fuck all
. I'm pretty sure you're right about Sigarda being lined up to take her place, though I wonder where they're going to get the power from. My prediction?
Asspull.

EDIT: Or maybe Olivia
has grown a brain and understands the necessity of balance and uses the trapped Sorin as a supercharger for Sigarda 3.0?

I thought Olivia
was dead too?

Crocodile

As an aside, Spell Queller gets around uncounterable spells that cost 4 or less :p

Banishing Light and similar effects are fine because they're dealing with permanents. What happens when permanents show up on the battlefield is already figured out in the rules. Non-auras are just there, auras get attached to another thing, things trigger if they need to trigger, and everything is happy.

There aren't really rules right now for a spell just showing up on the stack, which is what would happen if you say "target spell is exiled until X leaves the battlefield". When a spell gets put on the stack you need to figure more stuff out like what modes are picked, what targets are chosen if any, additional costs paid, etc. A spell just showing up from exile won't remember these things, because it is a new object from the original spell that was cast.

The two main ways things end up on the stack currently are either casting it, which involves choosing all those things, or copying it, which copies all those choices from the original spell. So it makes sense to have this spell get cast, since that handles it all.

I included the last line: "When _______ leaves the battlefield, the exiled card's owner can cast it without paying its mana cost." Why doesn't that satisfy those concerns?

I included the last line: "When _______ leaves the battlefield, the exiled card's owner can cast it without paying its mana cost." Why doesn't that satisfy those concerns?

The sentence you have before it just doesn't mean anything in the rules. You can't exile something conditionally from the stack because things can only go onto the stack one way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom