• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
I just can't get over the expression on this lady listening to Sorin run his mouth in this new illustration. I feel like this is gonna get a lot of use.

NF8RKNkttk_icon.jpg

I mean just look how much she isn't into Sorin's shit.
Huh, why is Sorin ashen skinned when the other Innistrad vampires have normal human skin colors again?

ultron87

I included the last line: "When _______ leaves the battlefield, the exiled card's owner can cast it without paying its mana cost." Why doesn't that satisfy those concerns?

The problem there is that that is still a trigger. So with that wording, when it leaves the battlefield, this happens:

1) Queller leaves the battlefield
2) Exiled spell appears on the stack, without targets or any choices made.
3) Trigger goes on the stack.
4) Trigger resolves, owner casts the spell (which puts the spell back on the stack), makes choices
5) Spell resolves.

Step 2 is a weird scenario that isn't really covered in the rules. And it gets super weird if say, the cast trigger gets Stifled. So just skipping that and having the cast trigger take the spell from Exile to the Stack is cleaner.

ultron87

I love that you can even do the 3-1 split and hope they think you put their bomb in there. And then they take it and it's an Island.

I wonder if Spell Qweller + Displacer + on cast trigger will be a thing? I'm leaning towards no since it's not clear there's enough to work with to payoff such a combo.

Edit: To be more clear, due to the CMC limit on the effect it means that most flashy on cast effects are off limits and even if they weren't I doubt there'd be much real value to it beyond being a bit cute.

Crocodile

It's still not entirely clear to me why splitting the trigger in two alleviates issues with how to handle the exiled spell that one trigger runs into but I admit that I'm running on low sleep right now. Maybe I'll ask Tabak later.

As an aside, Nahiri trying to force Emrakul onto Innistrad because Sorin wasn't vigilant enough to make sure things on Zendikar didn't go to shit just strikes me as vindictive and petty. An obvious case of "two wrongs don't make a right".

It's still not entirely clear to me why splitting the trigger in two alleviates issues with how to handle the exiled spell that one trigger runs into but I admit that I'm running on low sleep right now. Maybe I'll ask Tabak later.

As an aside, Nahiri trying to force Emrakul onto Innistrad because Sorin wasn't vigilant enough to make sure things on Zendikar didn't go to shit just strikes me as vindictive and petty. An obvious case of "two wrongs don't make a right".

It just struck me, with Nahiri being the new face of villainy and Sorin trapped in a container he can only speak out of, they're now the Rita and Zordon of the GateRangers.

OnPoint

Lots of people here argue she's justified. I'm with you. She's a turd.

It's really just about how a spell can get onto the stack. Under the rules, it's only by being cast or otherwise put there by an effect that defines any choices and targets necessary. If this card put the spell back on the stack itself, it'd need to define all that stuff and spend a bunch of wording explaining how choices and targets work etc. By just leaving it in exile and letting the person cast it, all that work is just done by the normal spell rules.

Oh, I mean, it's clearly morally abhorrent and awful and she's clearly the block's primary villain. My point is really just that she turns to morally abhorrent behavior after immeasurable grief and 1000 years cooling her heels in the Helvault while Sorin just does it casually before breakfast.

Ozigizo

I'm still kinda pissed about Mercuial Geists. Why would you bother with it when there's already another option that has haste.

Magic Story - Campaign of Vengeance
* Sorin and a Voldaren family army arrive at Markov Manor, where Nahiri is waiting with a bunch of cultists, who worship her as the Harbinger.
* A fight breaks out. Nahiri fights combining sword attacks with earthbending. After seeing Sorin, she creates walls to separate them from the rest of the battle.
* Sorin tries to use death magic on her, but it just gets redirected back toward him. Nahiri messed with the leylines that his magic would have flowed through, using her monoliths.
* Sorin and Nahiri talk. Nahiri is angry that he and Ugin didn't do anything about the Eldrazi. She's done being a warden and with Zendikar being a prison; Sorin made it easy to decide where else to put them.
* Olivia interrupts and has vampires descend on Nahiri. Nahiri forms swords which... I guess cause the vampires to stop, it doesn't actually say what happens to them.
* Nahiri uses her magic to rotate the entire manor like a music box, causing an otherworldly sound, while she forms ley stones around her. This draws Eldrazi there, and they ignore her due to the ley stones.
* Nahiri leaves and Sorin follows. They fight. Anime style, Sorin moves so fast that Nahiri loses track of him. To defend herself, she encases herself in stone, and Sorin taunts her for being so used to the Helvault. Sorin's sword is able to pierce through the stone.
* Sorin bites into her neck and starts draining her blood. Nahiri makes jaws of stone close around him and breaks away. The stone will prevent him from planeswalking away.
* Nahiri leaves, planeswalking away. Olivia taunts Sorin in his prison and leaves him there, despite Sorin telling her she'll need him to stop Emrakul. I guess the artbook was completely wrong about how Olivia dies, and Sorin's attitude about Emrakul.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You guys make it sound like its a binary choice between good and evil. Nahiri being insane isn't unreasonable to begin with. Sorin locked her in a dark room for 1000 years without a second thought about whether that was right.

Also, the title of this Uncharted Realms should have been "Senpai Noticed"

Magic Story - Campaign of Vengeance
* Sorin and a Voldaren family army arrive at Markov Manor, where Nahiri is waiting with a bunch of cultists, who worship her as the Harbinger.
* A fight breaks out. Nahiri fights combining sword attacks with earthbending. After seeing Sorin, she creates walls to separate them from the rest of the battle.
* Sorin tries to use death magic on her, but it just gets redirected back toward him. Nahiri messed with the leylines that his magic would have flowed through, using her monoliths.
* Sorin and Nahiri talk. Nahiri is angry that he and Ugin didn't do anything about the Eldrazi. She's done being a warden and with Zendikar being a prison; Sorin made it easy to decide where else to put them.
* Olivia interrupts and has vampires descend on Nahiri. Nahiri forms swords which... I guess cause the vampires to stop, it doesn't actually say what happens to them.
* Nahiri uses her magic to rotate the entire manor like a music box, causing an otherworldly sound, while she forms ley stones around her. This draws Eldrazi there, and they ignore her due to the ley stones.
* Nahiri leaves and Sorin follows. They fight. Anime style, Sorin moves so fast that Nahiri loses track of him. To defend herself, she encases herself in stone, and Sorin taunts her for being so used to the Helvault. Sorin's sword is able to pierce through the stone.
* Sorin bites into her neck and starts draining her blood. Nahiri makes jaws of stone close around him and breaks away. The stone will prevent him from planeswalking away.
* Nahiri leaves, planeswalking away. Olivia taunts Sorin in his prison and leaves him there, despite Sorin telling her she'll need him to stop Emrakul. I guess the artbook was completely wrong about how Olivia dies, and Sorin's attitude about Emrakul.

I don't know about that, it looked like he was grasping to save himself. He still considers Innistrad doomed in the long run.

jph139

Yeah, that ending was totally Sorin's last ditch attempt to get free, shank Nahiri, and peace out to Lorwyn for a while.

Olivia is cool; if you're gonna die, you may as well go down as the queen.

PsionBolt

I love Spell Queller a lot. Any eternal game in which an Abrupt Decay gets spell-quelled is instantly going to be an exciting game.
But yeah, other than that guy and the Venser counterspell (which has been a star in my custom card cube for years, glad it finally got printed), the set's pretty unexciting so far.

Reprint Flame Slash in every standard, please. Keeps people honest!

Chaos Reveler is a really neat card. I'm glad red is getting more "discard your hand, draw a set number of cards" effects.

And you can even discard it to Nahiri's Wrath. This is even a "wrath effect" where it's worthwhile to cast madness creatures you discard, since you don't have to damage them. The fact that you deal the total damage to each creature (or planeswalker) is nice. In a pinch, you could discard your hard to take out all of your opponent's creatures, even the big ones.

Campaign of Vengeance is the last of the enemy color uncommon cycle. Now it makes sense that they held it back, since it's story related. It seems alright, but it already didn't see play on a 3B 3/3 creature with another ability.

Spell Queller is neat, but definitely not what this Standard needs.

Fortune's Favor is neat, and I see someone already made the UHF joke.

Dark Salvation was a bit confusing in its usefulness, until the source article pointed this out:
Check out this sequence:

Turn 1: Cryptbreaker

Turn 2: Relentless Dead

Turn 3: Dark Salvation for 1: Kill an opponent's Sylvan Advocate. Tap my three Zombies: Draw a card.

The weakening effect is based on the number of zombies. And if nothing else, 2B for a 2/2 zombie that can kill a weak creature seems decent.

Jhriad

It might have been better if they had the ability to write Magic Story in a longer form but as it has been written Nahiri's logic/reasoning never felt particularly sensible. In fact, I think her justification for pulling Emrakul to Innistrad is far more understandable than her initial, stupid as fuck reaction to Sorin not showing up on Zendikar to help seal the Eldrazi back in their hedron prison. Sorin's reaction wasn't particularly great either but at least it was on point for the character and understandable from the point of view that he's so old and disconnected from the living world that at best he's going to come off as aloof. The "Do what I say" and "I must defeat Sorin to show him that I'm no longer a 'child'" rationale that Nahiri gives for attacking Sorin initially is asinine, imo. The second story about that encounter, from her perspective rather than Sorin's, was better than the initial one but it still felt forced.

Nahiri being insane isn't unreasonable to begin with. Sorin locked her in a dark room for 1000 years without a second thought about whether that was right.
Her reaction after being locked away for so long is a lot more understandable than the initial fight between the two. It could have been written in such a way as to make it escalate to that point in a more reasonable fashion rather than:

Nahiri: Thank goodness, I thought you were dead Sorin!
Sorin: I'm fine.
Nahiri: Why didn't you answer the call to seal the Eldrazi? You promised!
Sorin: Hmm... the call didn't reach me. *gives a reasonable explanation*
Nahiri: You're coming with me to Zendikar NOW to make sure the Eldrazi are all taken care of!
Sorin: Child, don't tell me what to do.
Nahiri: I must now attack you to prove that I'm no longer your lesser! Then you'll do what I say! RAAAWR!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Aw, Cube doesn't start for a week? I thought it was the holiday cube? WTF. Holiday's over, pal.

Ashodin

I'm amped about Nahiri's Wrath. Card is bonkers good removal depending on what you discard. You can discard Avacyn's Judgment into it, play the madness cost and spread the damage

It's weird to me that Monday was a sack of butt and then today we get like four different powerful and/or interesting to build around cards.

I'm really sad that Spell Queller is going to be an obnoxious as fuck CoCo piece because it's really nifty in a vacuum. I know they don't ban cards in Standard really but it's hard to say it wouldn't be better for the format if they didn't just ditch that card one set early.

Daedardus

More the latter, but the awareness that this is possible (and, therefore, people actually doing it) has been steadily rising for a few years and we just hit an inflection point in how common it is. Once people realized how penny-ante MTG is compared to real (and even most imaginary) markets this became kind of inevitable; when you can clear out a commodity for five digits suddenly there's a number of people who can give it a shot at minimal risk.

People shouldn't fall for this stuff. It's creating its own problem. If you just refrain from buying cards you don't actually need, prices won't actually up by much. That's the problem with Magic. People buy cards to sell them for a margin, but those get picked up by people who want to do the same. Eventually the prices go up just because everyone is holding out on them but those copies never get used for the actual game. Worst thing in Magic that there's no such thing as dividend or voting rights. There's not much you can do other than driving the price up if you want a profit.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ohhhhhh

Dark Salvation is confusingly worded.

I thought that you had to give the opponent the zombies to kill their stuff

The "target player" wording is super weird otherwise, except for the 1% of limited games where its somehow...anti...zombie...tech?

ironmang

I might have to give bant coco a second look lol. Going to be super obnoxious getting my nissas, hangarbacks, and advocates hit by spell queller. Plus it's just great versus planeswalkers anyways.

Wichu

Aww man, why does Dark Salvation have to target a player? I wanted to explode Mirrorwing Dragon or Zada into a pile of Zombies :(

I don't get it

darksalvation.jpg

This card is great. It's basically outnumber + white sun's zenith on the same card. If you play a deck that can reliably cast this as Dead Weight then you're in business. The late game upside of playing this for 7+ mana is nuts.

I'm amped about Nahiri's Wrath. Card is bonkers good removal depending on what you discard. You can discard Avacyn's Judgment into it, play the madness cost and spread the damage

6 mana shock + forked bolt, and that's the upside.

Ashodin

You play it as a finisher. Drop your hand, remove everything, swing in to win.

Idk

Just realized judgment could target players. So you could really wipe the board and setup a game win.

So much has to go right for it to even be a 1 for 1, and then it's probably below rate. Maybe if Boros Reckoner or something was in standard and there was some insane combo. I guess you could use it as a discard outlet for an Ever After deck or something.

Mark me for unimpressed.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209303038]So much has to go right for it to even be a 1 for 1, and then it's probably below rate. Maybe if Boros Reckoner or something was in standard and there was some insane combo. I guess you could use it as a discard outlet for an Ever After deck or something.

Mark me for unimpressed.[/QUOTE]

Talking about Nahiri's Wrath, I presume?

People shouldn't fall for this stuff. It's creating its own problem.

I mean, yes, that's correct, but good luck getting people not to buy high like saps in any open market.

The "target player" wording is super weird otherwise, except for the 1% of limited games where its somehow...anti...zombie...tech?

Targeting a player means you still get zombies if the opponent sacs the creature target in response.

The fact that Nahiri's Wrath literally does nothing by itself ain't great. It's an awful draw late in the game, unless you've been hoarding stuff to dump with it which doesn't sound like a good scenario either.

I'm sure I'm missing something but Nahiris Wrath just doesn't seem that good. I guess it's better for midrange decks, or with a bunch of madness cards. Just seems kinda win-more if you're in a position where you can comfortably pitch a bunch of fuel to it.

Angry Grimace

BTW, I don't think we talked about this, but Corbin Hosler did an interview with the buyout guy:

http://blog.mtgprice.com/2016/07/05/an-interview-with-the-man-behind-the-buyouts/

Good interview and good writeup, I think the guy does a very good job of presenting his case, and he very specifically notes that he's buying stuff out that he can sell slowly over years rather than pump and dump. (That doesn't make it less disruptive overall, though.)

The problem is that he's converting liquid capital into cardboard that doesn't have enough demand to sell out at its current price, much less the phony valuation he pegged it at. 41 Moats isn't all of the Moats in the world.

Jhriad

he very specifically notes that he's buying stuff out that he can sell slowly over years rather than pump and dump. (That doesn't make it less disruptive overall, though.)

There's not enough actual demand in the marketplace to buy all those cards and dump them immediately. If that were the case they would have spiked on their own with organic demand. I did find this section

Q: So what’s next for you?

A: I don’t think I’ll be making the videos anymore. I think a lot of the best targets have been bought out. Moat was an easy one not only because of the Reserved List but because of Eldrazi in Legacy and how hard it is for them to beat.

I don’t just buy cards because they’re on the Reserved List — I think that’s a bad plan. Look at something like Thought Lash. It was bought out and the price spiked but what’s the plan now? A card like Moat I can sell over time, but there is no demand for Thought Lash so where are you going to sell them? I only target cards that are going to continue to see play.

There’s a few things that I have my eye on; City of Traitors is one of those. Gaea’s Cradle also should be way more expensive than it is. If Jace, Vryn’s Prodigy ever goes below $26 Mid I’m happy to drop $5,000 on it because that card is insane and people don’t realize just how few there are and how hard it is to reprint, being a double-faced card.

a little gross, and frankly, a little irresponsible on Corbin's part considering the logical MTGPrice audience's response to the article would be this and this That section just felt like he was throwing cards out there that he already owned in the hopes of priming demand with the audience the article would give him (much like his videos).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom