• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Cms5bBOUkAADc4B.png

Oh Hai Wild Mongrel

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Spell Queller x4 for 30 (TCGP) yeah- seems like a plan.

I'm wondering if the Bant Company (either flavor) deck will just become the straight-up best deck with the addition of Thalia and Spell Queller. Those cards shore up the only sort-of bad matchups it has to begin with (e.g. BW Control).

Cms5bBOUkAADc4B.png

Oh Hai Wild Mongrel

I'm surprised they were okay with printing it, even if it doesn't seem that great in Modern forward.

Cms5bBOUkAADc4B.png

Oh Hai Wild Mongrel

Huh, I really didn't expect them to basically reprint Wild Mongrel, and in strictly better form, at that.

EDIT:
A) WOW

B) Why the hell does this guy let you discard as much as you want when almost every other discard outlet in this block has a restriction of one sort or another. Green isn't even a Madness color in this block. FFS WOTC
I'm pretty sure that's the point. Green isn't a madness color, so to use it for madness, you'd have to stretch into another color.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A) WOW

B) Why the hell does this guy let you discard as much as you want when almost every other discard outlet in this block has a restriction of one sort or another. Green isn't even a Madness color in this block. FFS WOTC

You can technically discard as much as you want with Ravenous Bloodseeker by holding priority and using it a lot. =V

OnPoint

I'm pretty sure that's the point. Green isn't a madness color, so to use it for madness, you'd have to stretch into another color.

Yeah, Madness definitely was an archetype that needed to be slowed down a bit. :rolleyes:

I know you didn't really mean it that way. I'm just salty at WotC

Angry Grimace

I forgot Madness was even in this set because there aren't any Madness cards.

Even just conceptually with half the set spoiled bant company is looking dumb.

4 Duskwatch Recruiter
4 Wharf Infiltrator
4 Sylvan Advocate
3 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
4 Spell Queller
4 Reflector Mage
3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

4 Collected Company
2 Ojutai's Command
3 Unsubstantiate

Lands
2 Forest
3 Island
3 Plains
2 Canopy Vista
4 Evolving Wilds
2 Fortified Village
4 Lumbering Falls
4 Prairie Stream
1 Westvale Abbey

Sideboard
2 Archangel Avacyn
4 Tireless Tracker
2 Dromoka's Command
1 Dispel
2 Negate
2 Declaration in Stone
1 Naturalize
1 Felidar Cub

Angry Grimace

Dromoka's Command is better than Ojutai's Command in that deck. Probably better than Unsubstantiate.

Dromoka's Command is better than Ojutai's Command in that deck. Probably better than Unsubstantiate.

Maybe, hard to say. It's entirely possible that Dromoka's Command is just better due to how the format shakes out(lots of mirrors etc). It's the sort of card that relies a lot on context. Unsubstantiate has gotta be nuts though. It's a deck that already wants to be super tempo based, and remanding a wrath or bouncing your own etb effect creature is pretty sweet. I do like Ojutai's Command as at least a 1-of with the extra looting and 2 mana creature in Wharf Infiltrator, though.

OnPoint

It could actually work in Conspiracy. In big multiplayer games you have enough people casting spells that getting enough of a storm count to make it playable shouldn't be an issue.

Oh, yeah, this would be GREAT for Conspiracy 2. So it won't be in.

Ashodin

NOOSE CONSTRICTOR? IM GONNA EAT YA

4iw93SM.gif

yessssssssssssssssss this is what I imagine Nahiri is doing

I'm just ready for the full spoiler - I wants to brew brehs.

Also I expect equipment hidden in that spoiler - they don't want to hype equipment until Kaladesh.

shhh do you hear that? that's the sound of red13th replacing another cube card with Noose Constrictor

G.ZZZ

Cms5bBOUkAADc4B.png

Oh Hai Wild Mongrel

So the best madness enabler in a set where madness is primarily red is green.

Ok.

Still can't understand why in a block about madness and red we didn't get a single good red enabler for madness AND overcosted madness cards.

Like srsly wat.

The problem is that he's converting liquid capital into cardboard that doesn't have enough demand to sell out at its current price, much less the phony valuation he pegged it at.

I mean, "problem" in what sense? The point he makes is that if you're in it for the long haul, it's worthwhile buying out Reserved List cards that will be played long-term, not to artificially boost their price right away, but because if they're underpriced for any point in your time horizon you can get all of them at today's price and take all the arbitrage for yourself -- and because they're on the Reserved List, they're far closer to guaranteed to go up than other cards.

Like, if it takes him three years to unload his Moats (and he winds up taking a haircut on the new higher price on the last X% of them) he still makes out well as long as he can legitimately float this cash; it's still going to turn out to be a higher return than a lot of options. He's basically in the same business here as a storefront that deals in old cards, except he's doing it selectively instead of with the intention of maintaining a consistent inventory.

41 Moats isn't all of the Moats in the world.

No it's not. In fact, we have a pretty good idea of how many Moats there are in the world: around 19,000, minus all the ones lost or destroyed in the last two decades. The question is really more how many liquid (excuse the pun) Moats there are. Approximately every person who owns a full Vintage or Legacy deck already has a set that will never, ever go anywhere. Every person who has a full Legends set has one that's not going anywhere without extraordinary measures. By a quick scan, there's probably only 40-60 currently for sale on the internet, so if there were 80 last week the guy took a big chunk out of the liquid supply.

YASSSSSSSSSS

It could actually work in Conspiracy.

Yeah, I mean, Conspiracy 1 was their first toe in the pool of reprinting pre-Modern cards of valu.e

red13th

I hate that snake! I don't want to cut Mongrel from my cube, he's so cute and the new snake is ugly. But I think Reach is better than colour changing. But Mongrel! :(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I hate that snake! I don't want to cut Mongrel from my cube, he's so cute and the new snake is ugly. But I think Reach is better than colour changing. But Mongrel! :(

Mongrel cant be killed by doomblade and we all now that its the most important factor in deciding how good a creature is.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So the best madness enabler in a set where madness is primarily red is green.

Ok.

Still can't understand why in a block about madness and red we didn't get a single good red enabler for madness AND overcosted madness cards.

Like srsly wat.

Wizards too spooked about making something ridiculous like the madness/threshold deck and instead made a bunch of trash.

Angry Grimace

I mean, "problem" in what sense? The point he makes is that if you're in it for the long haul, it's worthwhile buying out Reserved List cards that will be played long-term, not to artificially boost their price right away, but because if they're underpriced for any point in your time horizon you can get all of them at today's price and take all the arbitrage for yourself -- and because they're on the Reserved List, they're far closer to guaranteed to go up than other cards.

Like, if it takes him three years to unload his Moats (and he winds up taking a haircut on the new higher price on the last X% of them) he still makes out well as long as he can legitimately float this cash; it's still going to turn out to be a higher return than a lot of options. He's basically in the same business here as a storefront that deals in old cards, except he's doing it selectively instead of with the intention of maintaining a consistent inventory.

No it's not. In fact, we have a pretty good idea of how many Moats there are in the world: around 19,000, minus all the ones lost or destroyed in the last two decades. The question is really more how many liquid (excuse the pun) Moats there are. Approximately every person who owns a full Vintage or Legacy deck already has a set that will never, ever go anywhere. Every person who has a full Legends set has one that's not going anywhere without extraordinary measures. By a quick scan, there's probably only 40-60 currently for sale on the internet, so if there were 80 last week the guy took a big chunk out of the liquid supply.

YASSSSSSSSSS

Yeah, I mean, Conspiracy 1 was their first toe in the pool of reprinting pre-Modern cards of valu.e

The problem is that selling 41 Moats to begin with is going to be a hard sell, much less 41 Moats at 200% of what you bought 41 Moats at, given that over time you either have to keep buying all of the Moats that go up for sale to artificially prop up the price or just sell at market value, which means you probably aren't making money and to the extent you are, you could have had a far better ROI by just putting your Moat Money in a Mutual Fund or something.

The problem here is that unlike what Martin Shkreli did, the demand for what he's trying to monopolize is far more fluid (people don't HAVE to buy Moats) and he can't realistically control supply in the long term. The long and short of it is that I don't think his strategy is an effective one to increase the price of Moat in the long term, nor is it calculated to make a profit in the short term as a pump n' dump (because someone like SCG isn't going to buylist your 41 Moats at an arbitrary higher price you set). There have been plenty of stories of guys like this who do this and come out with like $250 in profit for dozens of hours of work.

Ashodin

holy fuck the description of combat in the magic story is godlike

Between them stretched a thin slice of the battle—a score of vampires and at least twice that many cultists, all still tangled in their fighting. One of the vampires lunged for Nahiri, but her vengeance was too near now for such distractions. A twitch of her finger, and a lance of stone emerged suddenly from the floor. It caught the armored bloodsucker under the breastplate through the abdomen, rising until it punched through the polished red steel at the shoulder with a shrill whine. The vampire just slumped in place, and Nahiri stepped past him as he slowly sank down the length of the stone quill.

siiiiiiick

"You must think very little of me if you thought that would work," Nahiri said as the second cluster of magic struck home just as the first had. "Magic flows through leylines. Leylines pass through stone. And, well, we both know what I can do with that. So by all means, Sorin, try that garbage again." She was circling him now. "I brought Emrakul to your doorstep, and you still think I'm a child."

fuck Nahiri is OP as hell

Also someone knows how to write trash talk

G.ZZZ

LOL if this targeted players it'd be the most hilariously overpowered card ever

It'd be a bad SnT tbh. Which would be a good card in standard mind you, but totally unplayable in old formats. Draco-explosion is an incredibly janky deck by today's standards. I doubt it'd be even playable in modern. It'd be countered by a Rhino, an helix, or just countering a single spell after a chain of setup spells.

Had it targeted player, it would be a considerably pushed card, but i doubt it'd even break standard, when the best thing you could discard is emrakul for 13 damage. And the problem with those decks (erratic explosion style) has always been the fact that for the combo you need either a lot of uncastable incredibly high cmc cards, or a long janky setup and tutors where every piece is counterable, plus it's still only 13 damage and not straight 20 like old saproburst was, for example.

EDIT: disregard this, see my post below.

Daedardus

Great. A worse Firestorm at mythic.

How is it completely worse? It's Sorcery, costs more and doesn't hit players but it also deals a lot more damage. Card would be absolutely insane if hit players, you would just run all Eldrazi and blow up your opponents on turn 3.

Ashodin

Then she couldn't. He was so quick, and by the time she shifted her position in her window to follow his movements beneath her, she'd lost sight of him.

For several moments her eyes darted around furiously, scanning for any hint of movement. Then, a flash of silver, and all Nahiri could do was slide into the wall itself so that Sorin's blade bounced away with a deafening knell that rang for several moments through the stone.

We anime now

flash_steps_by_hakuxtemari-d9d3gk5.gif

G.ZZZ

Not really. The damage output is way different, and you don't need X targets.
EDIT: Remember, it's the total cost of every card discarded, so you could pitch Emrakul and other cards to get up to 20.

Oh right, CMC sum, that make it considerably better. It'd be straight busted in SnT decks lol. Nvm my previous post. Still don't see why they didn't make it single discard and any target. How often do you need to nuke creatures for 20 damage anyway.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It'd be a bad SnT tbh. Which would be a good card in standard mind you, but totally unplayable in old formats. Draco-explosion is an incredibly janky deck by today's standards. I doubt it'd be even playable in modern. It'd be countered by a Rhino, an helix, or just countering a single spell after a chain of setup spells.

Had it targeted player, it would be a considerably pushed card, but i doubt it'd even break standard, when the best thing you could discard is emrakul for 13 damage. And the problem with those decks (erratic explosion style) has always been the fact that for the combo you need either a lot of uncastable incredibly high cmc cards, or a long janky setup and tutors where every piece is counterable, plus it's still only 13 damage and not straight 20 like old saproburst was, for example.

only you can discard multiple cards, not just one, and it deals the sum of the CMC. then just imagine it'd allow you to re-target.

e.g.

discard two 5 CMC cards

deal 10 damage to 2 targets

select player twice

win the game

you could easily win the game turn 2/3 every game if the opponent doesn't have a 2-3 mana counter readily available.

Not really. The damage output is way different, and you don't need X targets.
EDIT: Remember, it's the total cost of every card discarded, so you could pitch Emrakul and other cards to get up to 20.

edit: beaten to the punch :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom