• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
en_l786UcV4GY.png

Image.ashx

harmlessoffering.jpg

Image.ashx

i'm actually so good at inventing combos honestly

[edit] and a BARGAIN at seven mana!!!!

Ashodin

Yesssssssssssss eat a dick Sorin

So satisfied with his ending. You can stare at that shit until kingdom come.

Curious to know if the Planeswalkers find Sorin and free him (or Ugin!).

Should be interesting.

NEW CARD

CmtUuPDWcAQ97oq.jpg:large

aww shit son

Firemind

How is it completely worse? It's Sorcery, costs more and doesn't hit players but it also deals a lot more damage. Card would be absolutely insane if hit players, you would just run all Eldrazi and blow up your opponents on turn 3.
It's basically unplayable in standard. At least Firestorm saw play in Donate decks.

It is. They have a week of more Legacy festival nonsense.
I don't mind. Shards of Alara + Conflux is an AMAZING draft format.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yesssssssssssss eat a dick Sorin

So satisfied with his ending. You can stare at that shit until kingdom come.

Curious to know if the Planeswalkers find Sorin and free him (or Ugin!).

Should be interesting.

NEW CARD

CmtUuPDWcAQ97oq.jpg:large

aww shit son
Homie that was the card they used to introduce Escalate in the very first mechanics article last week.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
uhmmmm

so didn't WOTC sue the makers of Hex (that kickstarter-online TCG) for using mechanics/keywords and made them change a whole bunch of things?

Because

Escalation is a keyword used in Hex. Why would you sue someone for copying your keywords AND THEN GO AHEAD AND COPY THEIR KEYWORDS.

I am very confused, does anyone know more on this?

Toxi

Banned
uhmmmm

so didn't WOTC sue the makers of Hex (that kickstarter-online TCG) for using mechanics/keywords and made them change a whole bunch of things?

Because

Escalation is a keyword used in Hex. Why would you sue someone for copying your keywords AND THEN GO AHEAD AND COPY THEIR KEYWORDS.

I am very confused, does anyone know more on this?
Wat

Escalation in Hex works nothing like Escalation in MtG, which itself is just a slightly tweaked Entwine.

Smiley90

Wat

Escalation in Hex is nothing like Escalation in MtG, which itself is just a slightly tweaked Entwine.

I know it's nothing like it - but it's literally the same word. Does that protect one from copy claims? I'm not sure on the details of the claims WOTC made against Hex. (or the details of what can and can't be copied among different games)

ultron87

I know it's nothing like it - but it's literally the same word. Does that protect one from copy claims? I'm not sure on the details of the claims WOTC made against Hex. (or the details of what can and can't be copied among different games)

The complaint against Hex was basically the opposite of what you mentioned with escalate. It was that the mechanics were the same, even though the words were different. IE Crush = Trample, Speed = Haste, etc.

Edit: Should've said it was "part of the complaint". And that stuff was left alone when they settled anyway.

kirblar

No, you can't copyright the English language.

The complaint against Hex was basically the opposite of what you mentioned with escalate. It was that the mechanics were the same, even though the words were different. IE Crush = Trample, Speed = Haste, etc.

There were two cases of similar names getting them in trouble: Spectral Lotus (which was an obvious tribute to Black Lotus), and Murder (a 3-cost kill spell). The former was changed to be an acorn, and the latter got its name changed to Kill. I consider the Murder part questionable, but Spectral Lotus was an understandable card to change.

Smiley90

No, you can't copyright the English language.

that's not exactly what's going on here :p plenty of reasons I can't name my new company "Google", can I

well, WOTC made Hex change the names of cards too, so there's that. e.g. Graveyard can't be called Graveyard, Murder can't be called murder.

But I guess their argument was "same name & same mechanic, can't have both, change one" and it's easier to change the name than the mechanic (no murder mechanic would be hilariously bad)

The problem is that selling 41 Moats to begin with is going to be a hard sell, much less 41 Moats at 200% of what you bought 41 Moats at, given that over time you either have to keep buying all of the Moats that go up for sale to artificially prop up the price or just sell at market value, which means you probably aren't making money and to the extent you are, you could have had a far better ROI by just putting your Moat Money in a Mutual Fund or something.

I mean, part of why I linked the interview is that the idea that he's buying to sell into an empty market isn't really accurate. If inertia keeps the price on a card artificially low and a buyout resets it, you won't have trouble moving most of your inventory above your selling price eventually. You don't need to flip it at 200% to get well over an index fund return.

That's just the ones in English. Italian legends was printed in far bigger numbers iirc

I haven't been able to find sourced numbers, but yes that does at least bring it well up, I didn't think about Italian Legends.

Why would you sue someone for copying your keywords AND THEN GO AHEAD AND COPY THEIR KEYWORDS.

Because their contention (which is tacitly confirmed by the settlement, despite being legally nonsense) is that Hex is an unauthorized derivative work and therefore all IP control for anything they produce ultimately rests with WotC. Wizards basically has carte blanche to copy whatever they want from Hex.

Smiley90

I mean, part of why I linked the interview is that the idea that he's buying to sell into an empty market isn't really accurate. If inertia keeps the price on a card artificially low and a buyout resets it, you won't have trouble moving most of your inventory above your selling price eventually. You don't need to flip it at 200% to get well over an index fund return.

I haven't been able to find sourced numbers, but yes that does at least bring it well up, I didn't think about Italian Legends.

Because their contention (which is tacitly confirmed by the settlement, despite being legally nonsense) is that Hex is an unauthorized derivative work and therefore all IP control for anything they produce ultimately rests with WotC. Wizards basically has carte blanche to copy whatever they want from Hex.

I'm out of the loop - if that's really what ended up happening (whether legal or not, but if that was their settlement), then TIL and that'd explain things.

Daedardus

that's not exactly what's going on here :p plenty of reasons I can't name my new company "Google", can I

well, WOTC made Hex change the names of cards too, so there's that. e.g. Graveyard can't be called Graveyard, Murder can't be called murder.

But I guess their argument was "same name & same mechanic, can't have both, change one" and it's easier to change the name than the mechanic (no murder mechanic would be hilariously bad)

Well, Google isn't even a real word in the dictionary. You can name your company Googol if the business you are in does not confuse the company with Google. Otherwise all fruit stores would be out of business due to Apple.

And the part about 'Murder' is just so silly. But it might be because the card does similar things for similar costs.

And the part about 'Murder' is just so silly. But it might be because the card does similar things for similar costs.

Yes, that card wasn't changed because it had the same name, it was changed because it has the same name, exact same casting cost (modulo Hex's slightly different mana system), and exact same effect. The Hex guys actually got sloppy and let several straight-up copies go into their early sets and I'm sure it hurt them a little bit in the settlement negotiations.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Because someone passed you three Branching Bolts?

Matriox

snipcaster_mage_by_alradeck-da94h0b.jpg

Who cares about Nahiri and Emrakul when we have Snipcaster Mage!

Edit: for those that may not know this is a token art made by the folks at Starcity Games, not a real card art.

Toxi

Banned
Yes, that card wasn't changed because it had the same name, it was changed because it has the same name, exact same casting cost (modulo Hex's slightly different mana system), and exact same effect. The Hex guys actually got sloppy and let several straight-up copies go into their early sets and I'm sure it hurt them a little bit in the settlement negotiations.
original design do not steal

(It's actually completely mechanically different from Form of the Dragon, but the inspiration's so on the nose I find it funny anyway)

(It's actually completely mechanically different from Form of the Dragon, but the inspiration's so on the nose I find it funny anyway)

Not even really that different! Both stop non-fliers from attacking you and let you deal some direct damage every turn.

I'm surprised I didn't realize this. With Dark Salvation, you can cast it for B, and it turns into, "Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the number of zombies any target player controls." Maybe not super useful, but it's a nice corner case.

Supast4r

This is how I feel about the set thus far for modern:

Cards that already have deck homes:
-Spell Queller (UWx midrange)
-Chaos Reveler (delver, grixis control)
-Liliana, the Last Hope (grixis control sideboard, UB faeries)
-Thalia, Heretic Cathar (GW hatebears, eldrazi and taxes)
-Collective Brutality (sideboard tech against aggro)
-Selfless Soul (chord sideboard)
-Blessed Alliance (anti aggro sideboard tech)

Cards that can spawn new decks:
-Noose Constrictor/Grim Flayer/Grapple with the Past (GB madness/dredgevine/delirium)
-Gnarlwood Dryad (delirium)
-Cryptbreaker (dredgevine)
-Eldritch Evolution (old pod)

Cards that seem good but may not work out
-Geier Reach Sanitarium
-Curious Homunculus
-Nephalia Academy
-Bloodhall Priest
-Lone Rider
-unsubstantiate
-Gisa and Geralf
-Nahiri's Wrath

This is how I feel about the set thus far for modern:

Cards that already have deck homes:
-Spell Queller (UWx midrange)
-Chaos Reveler (delver, grixis control)
-Liliana, the Last Hope (grixis control sideboard, UB faeries)
-Thalia, Heretic Cathar (GW hatebears, eldrazi and taxes)
-Collective Brutality (sideboard tech against aggro)
-Selfless Soul (chord sideboard)
-Blessed Alliance (anti aggro sideboard tech)

Cards that can spawn new decks:
-Noose Constrictor/Grim Flayer/Grapple with the Past (GB madness/dredgevine/delirium)
-Gnarlwood Dryad (delirium)
-Cryptbreaker (dredgevine)
-Eldritch Evolution (old pod)

Cards that seem good but may not work out
-Geier Reach Sanitarium
-Curious Homunculus
-Nephalia Academy
-Bloodhall Priest
-Lone Rider
-unsubstantiate
-Gisa and Geralf
-Nahiri's Wrath

Geier Reach has been mentioned as a way to work in Modern D&T with Spirit. During the Draw Step of their turn, your can effectively force them down a card with it and Spirit of the Labyrinth in play.

Honestly, it seems legit, considering how many threats there are in the deck that are "Answer with removal or lose tempo quickly"(Thalia 1.0, Arbiter, NeoThalia,Vryn Wingmare,Dryad Militant for some decks) that by the time you can get both they'll likely have run out of removal(Minus something like Grixis Delver/Nahiri that can recur removal).

Supast4r

Geier Reach has been mentioned as a way to work in Modern D&T with Spirit. During the Draw Step of their turn, your can effectively force them down a card with it and Spirit of the Labyrinth in play.

Honestly, it seems legit, considering how many threats there are in the deck that are "Answer with removal or lose tempo quickly"(Thalia 1.0, Arbiter, NeoThalia,Vryn Wingmare,Dryad Militant for some decks) that by the time you can get both they'll likely have run out of removal(Minus something like Grixis Delver/Nahiri that can recur removal).
Which is why it falls into that pile. That combo seems okay but is it good enough?

Which is why it falls into that pile. That combo seems okay but is it good enough?

I'd say so, considering it's a late game loop for a deck that suffers in the late game. Thalia works great early on, when you making removal cost 2 on turn 2 effectively makes them spend their next turn on removal+one drop. In the late game, where most decks are relying on topdecks and have more then enough mana to get around Thalia, getting to keep your Opponents hand size constant, while picking more answers seems pretty good to me.

Supast4r

The card I'm hyped to play is curious Homunculus. Playing this then having remand at one mana sounds great. I feel like it's very good with Chaos Reveler. I want to try a jank version of modern grixis with these two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom