• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

r21rReF.jpg

Mausoleum Wanderer

U, Rare

Creature - Spirit

Flying

Whenever a Spirit enters the battlefield under your control, Mausoleum Wanderer gets +1/+1 until the end of turn.

Sacrifice Mausoleum Wanderer: Counter target instant or sorcery spell unless its controller pays X, where X is Mausoleum Wanderer's power.

1/1

Spirit Cursecatcher. Spirits looking strong.

Daedardus

Magic Duels is just unfair in story mode. Opponents deck is overpowered, yours underpowered, opponent plays like a madmen playing always the best thing he can do. Even playing agressively I could not beat some duels in less than five matches. I don't get how new players are supposed to win those games.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The shuffler used for goldfishing on MTGO was actually hilariously broken until recently.

I mean, not really. The client-side algorithm that produces sample hands is not entirely random to some very minute degree, but most goldfishing is done through opening a Solitaire game which uses the server side shuffler. The reason why the client side algorithm is different from the actual one used in games played for prizes is semi-obvious - because they don't want people to reverse-engineer the specific shuffling algorithm.

Jhriad

Even Liliana defeating Emrakul with Zombies wasn't enough to push Zombies into a playable deck. Guess it's time to buy some Green and White cards.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bant Company is going to be the deck to beat. It's getting too many new toys with Spell Queller and Thalia, Heretic Cathar. Hell, I think it could still be a semi-competitive deck if Collected Company was banned. There's simply too many obviously pushed value guys at the 2 and 3 drop slots with Sylvan Advocate, Duskwatch Recruiter, Queller, Thalia, Tireless Tracker, Reflector Mage, etc.

As for new cards:

Equipment Aura flash enchantment looks like a card designed for EDH Voltron decks. Obviously there's no reason to play it in constructed unless you've got a weird boner for equipment, i.e. you are Ashodin.

Spirit dude: Spirit Prowess is a weird ability, I assume the point is big scary blocks when combined with Eerie Interlude or something? I don't know. Cursecatcher/Judge's Familiar with extra upside though.

Stunning Growth: It's not Scapeshift because Scapeshift doesn't require you to do a bunch of work beyond consistently playing some land and drawing Scapeshift. Its not really all that powerful in Standard, either because self-mill isn't that pushed. I would be relatively surprised if the average land return on this was much higher than casting Explosive Vegetation (or just playing a Hedron Archive) outside of a deck playing a ton of Grapple with the Past, Demons, etc.

MrDoctor

Magic Duels is just unfair in story mode. Opponents deck is overpowered, yours underpowered, opponent plays like a madmen playing always the best thing he can do. Even playing agressively I could not beat some duels in less than five matches. I don't get how new players are supposed to win those games.
you're generally at a disadvantage but they're still predictable ai opponents; i won most of them on my first attempt. you need to understand what the deck was designed to do and prevent any momentum on the other side

Son1x

The new spirits are great. Bought a few pieces for modern spirits already, now just need the new ones and a few uw fastlands. Don't know whether to try them with or without.

They have potential to be the third modern playable Ux tribe alongside Merfolk and Faeries.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT HOLY FUCKING SHIT HOLY FUCKING SHIT HOLY FUCKING SHIT HOLY FUCKING SHIT HOLY FUCKING SHIT HOLY FUCKING SHIT HOLY FUCKING SHIT

Motherfucking Slayer's plate becomes INSANE!!!!!!!!!

I'm with ya on this one! Stone Haven Outfitter shall rise again!

Is it just me or does it seem like they've waited until pretty late in this preview to show off a lot of the more (at least at first glance) fun and interesting cards?

DrArchon

Is it bad that the first thing I thought was "Thank God you can't get this guy even earlier with CoCo"?

No seriously, this guy looks really solid as a combat trick. Even without the +1/+1, giving your whole team lifelink is gonna make it hell to fight against for a lot of players.

Spirit Cursecatcher. Spirits looking strong.

I guess contextually this doesn't have much to do (isn't a merfolk for Fish and isn't white for WW/Hatebears) but I'm impressed they made something that in a vacuum is this big an upgrade.

coaxfromtheblindeternities.jpg
falkenrathreaver.jpg

imprisonedinthemoon.jpg
harmlessoffering.jpg

can we errata the set symbol to a pic of MaRo crying

He's generally pretty quiet on the specifics of cost -> P/T in the colors since creature power has changed so much over time and he's actually in favor of random bullshit blue removal as long as it's flavored as "transformation" or something, so this is really a 2 for 4 for him I think.

when did emrakul turn from a gigantic twisted piece of coral into a hub cap

The main Mark Tedin illustration from ROE is actually the most off-model, she's always (including in Tedin's concept art) been supposed to be a big mushroom with a creepy glowing eye.

Toxi

Banned
imprisonedinthemoon.jpg

can we errata the set symbol to a pic of MaRo crying
MaRo's completely fine with Blue getting efficient creature removal themed around transformation.

alexanderkrizak asked: Why is it that when Blue gets creature removal themed as transformation, something blue can do, it's good, but when green gets creature removal themed as growth, something green can do, it's bad? (If you think Rapid Hybridization and Curse of the Swine are as damaging to the colour pie as Song of the Dryads, then never mind. :) )

Rapid Hydrization shouldn’t say “destroy”. It should say “exile” or “put on the bottom of the library”. I’d also rather development costed the ability less aggressively, but that’s not my call. That said, the ability is blue. Blue doesn’t destroy things but it can change them. Change is a big part of blue’s identity.

Green does get removal but its removal is supposed to be tied to its creatures. That’s why fight is a perfect green card and Song of the Dryads is not. A creatureless green deck is not supposed to efficiently be able to deal with any creature.

Toxi

Banned
Wait, this can target lands?

Did you really fucking need to add that Wizards? It makes no sense from a flavor perspective.

Black madness enabler common:

tumblr_o9ya5diToa1rsid3vo1_250.jpg

Wait, this can target lands?

Did you really fucking need to add that Wizards?

Falls off instantly if it doesn't say that. I guess they could've made Moon a land type, added that to the text, and only let it enchant Moons.

Toxi

Banned
Falls off instantly if it doesn't say that. I guess they could've made Moon a land type, added that to the text, and only let it enchant Moons.
Oh damn you're right.

I'm not sure if I'd like that better or worse. It'd work better flavorfully, but it'd also be clunkier.

DrArchon

It's a bear with a bonus. I can't be disappointed in that. As a madness enabler I wish it got a bonus beyond the first discard, but I'm sure this will see tons of play in limited.

I love that it's a leaping dragoon though. I really wasn't expecting any Final Fantasy references in this set.

Maledict

Meh, I really really dislike that Blue card, and don't agree with Maro at all that it's colour pie relevant. That's the same bullshit that got blue in its broken state in the first place - blue is the magic of trickery and spells so it can do anything!

Blue should be very limited in what it can do to something when it's actually on the board. Bounce or tapping effects should be its answer - not an effective Oblivion Ring.

Sigarda's Blessing
W
Enchantment
You may cast Aura and Equipment spells as though they had flash.

Whenever an Equipment enters the battlefield under your control, you may attach it to target creature you control.

link

Will probably be better once Kaladesh releases but it has a chance of being really good.

And here I was scrubbing out with Rootwater Shaman to get this same effect, having to splash Blue.

Sigarda's Blessing - You know, I was actually a bit unsure that Kaladesh would have a major equipment theme, since there didn't seem to be anything actually supporting it that well in this block, but there it is.

Mausoleum Wanderer - Strictly better Judge's Familiar that can't be cast with white, seems good.

Imprisoned in the Moon - The perfect card to include in your custom My Little Pony set. Anyway, interesting effect. Count me in as someone who would love to see to land part in red, perhaps at 1R. With the versatility, I think this might be good enough for Modern.

Making Standard Humans even more busted - I was pretty disappointed by these. I know Wizards didn't expect Collected Company to be a thing, but did they really have to print cards to help Humans so much? None of the other tribes actually help themselves this much.

Olivia's Dragoon - Good to have a free discard engine in black.

EDIT: Unsubstantiate promo.
en_3APviW0sDN.png

Lol Martin Shkreli is willling to spend half a million dollars on fucking up the MTG market:

CmxXLwcXYAIvdip.jpg

$100k if the cards are long term worthless? Uh, what? Is he literally saying he'd be willing to spend $100k for a chance to potentially flip stuff and otherwise just mess with the market?

Toxi

Banned
Meh, I really really dislike that Blue card, and don't agree with Maro at all that it's colour pie relevant. That's the same bullshit that got blue in its broken state in the first place - blue is the magic of trickery and spells so it can do anything!

Blue should be very limited in what it can do to something when it's actually on the board. Bounce or tapping effects should be its answer - not an effective Oblivion Ring.
I agree that stuff like this makes Blue the do anything color. I'd rather they strengthen what Blue is supposed to be good at: Countering shit, drawing cards, bouncing shit, etc.

Crocodile

I hope y'all who are complaining about the Blue Song of the Dryads also complained about Song of the Dyrads itself!

Once CoCo rotates, Bant Humans can still dig for them Reflectors

en_IZCYXkjbO7.png

Why isn't this a Soldier or a Knight. So close >_<

Why isn't this a Knight? Also now that we are finally getting half-way decent outlets, where are the good Madness cards? I think only 4 madness cards have even been spoiled so far for the set.

That blue moon card should have an upkeep cost. That would feel more blue.

That would make it unplayable trash you mean

Sigarda's Blessing - You know, I was actually a bit unsure that Kaladesh would have a major equipment theme, since there didn't seem to be anything actually supporting it that well in this block, but there it is.

BFZ had a huge equipment theme given it was a block with almost no worthwhile equipment. Kaladesh might not have an equipment theme specifically, but we've known from the start it'd be heavily artifact-focused and that inevitably means equipment is a significant thing.

$100k if the cards are long term worthless? Uh, what? Is he literally saying he'd be willing to spend $100k for a chance to potentially flip stuff and otherwise just mess with the market?

Yep.

I agree that stuff like this makes Blue the do anything color. I'd rather they strengthen what Blue is supposed to be good at: Countering shit, drawing cards, bouncing shit, etc.

I always say they should eliminate most polymorph effects from blue or recast them so they don't have semi-permanent effects but ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

But transforming is something Blue is supposed to be good at and has been doing since the start. Be it as removal, clone effects, or nonsense like Tinker.

Blue has been transforming things as removal since forever:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=221553
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=3353
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=3646
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=43733

I always say they should eliminate most polymorph effects from blue or recast them so they don't have semi-permanent effects but ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

I disagree. I think actual polymorph effects are very very Blue and the best you can do is limit the number and power of them. Related, that doesn't mean you can't do similar things in other colours instead but it can't be with a polymorph flavour.

Angry Grimace

Lol Martin Shkreli is willling to spend half a million dollars on fucking up the MTG market:

CmxXLwcXYAIvdip.jpg

I'm glad people are taking him seriously despite everyone in the universe knowing he's a professional troll.

Jhriad

I'm glad people are taking him seriously despite everyone in the universe knowing he's a professional troll.

If he spent $2 Million on what was almost certainly a terrible Wu-Tang album it's hard rule out the possibility of him dropping money on silly pieces of cardboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom