• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

I wanna say the last time we debated about Blue Polymorph stuff there was some consensus that an Aura effect was superior to Exiling or Destroying the thing and replacing it. So we're making progress!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Imprisoned in the Moon is a cool card. For maximum flavor I would have made it a land that traps a creature and is given to its controller, but I suppose eating your land drop would make it significantly worse

Firemind

I wanna say the last time we debated about Blue Polymorph stuff there was some consensus that an Aura effect was superior to Exiling or Destroying the thing and replacing it. So we're making progress!
Yeah for flavour reasons it doesn't make sense that a creature gets destroyed and becomes a completely different thing.

I disagree. I think actual polymorph effects are very very Blue and the best you can do is limit the number and power of them. Related, that doesn't mean you can't do similar things in other colours instead but it can't be with a polymorph flavour.

The issue is that blue gets things that are framed as "polymorphing" but are actually "really good removal with a downside" which is a white thing (and Rosewater has a perverse blind spot about this.) This one is at least mostly okay since it's an aura and therefore theoretically easy to remove and it gives you something useful to do with the affected permanent.

I'm glad people are taking him seriously despite everyone in the universe knowing he's a professional troll.

As is unfortunately relevant in an increasing number of situations these days, someone being a certified troll doesn't actually imply in any way that they won't do legitimately harmful things. Maybe Shrkeli will troll Magic players by posting stuff to rile people up on Twitter... or maybe he'll troll them by dropping what is (to him) an insignificant amount of money on cards that come out of circulation and hold on to them to sell later. The latter isn't inherently more implausible than the former and still comes out of the same motivation.

Toxi

Banned
I hope y'all who are complaining about the Blue Song of the Dryads also complained about Song of the Dyrads itself!
Song of the Dryads wasn't standard or modern playable.

The issue is that blue gets things that are framed as "polymorphing" but are actually "really good removal with a downside" which is a white thing (and Rosewater has a perverse blind spot about this.) This one is at least mostly okay since it's an aura and therefore theoretically easy to remove and it gives you something useful to do with the affected permanent.
For Black and Red this might as well be Path to Exile without the ability to choose which land you get.

It's funny, Blue can get the best creature removal under the Sun as long as it's themed around transformation, and yet Rosewater won't even touch Black or Red enchantment removal with a ten foot pole even if it's themed in a uniquely Black or Red manner.

For Black and Red this might as well be Path to Exile without the ability to choose which land you get.

That's more a problem that black and red are the only colors that have "just scoop to an entire permanent type" as a color pie "feature." One thing at a time!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

As is unfortunately relevant in an increasing number of situations these days, someone being a certified troll doesn't actually imply in any way that they won't do legitimately harmful things. Maybe Shrkeli will troll Magic players by posting stuff to rile people up on Twitter... or maybe he'll troll them by dropping what is (to him) an insignificant amount of money on cards that come out of circulation and hold on to them to sell later. The latter isn't inherently more implausible than the former and still comes out of the same motivation.

I mean, even if he wanted to he's under indictment and can't spend any of his money.

Haines

Banned
I'm glad to see the last couple batches of cards made you guys excited.

I'm guessing it just worked out that the better cards happened to be tied to the end of the story or whatever.

I can not wait to see the limited batch tommorow, and the pre pre release the day after.

G.ZZZ

Black madness enabler common:

tumblr_o9ya5diToa1rsid3vo1_250.jpg

Falls off instantly if it doesn't say that. I guess they could've made Moon a land type, added that to the text, and only let it enchant Moons.

WIZAAARDS WHERE'S MY RED DISCARD OUTLEEEEET WHEEEEERRE???

See, I agree with you in general that most of these kinds of effects are, with slightly tweaked flavour and function, better in White. That being said, I think it's OK for the occasional polymorph Blue card that fits into the colour, generally as an aura. I'd even say that the functionality on this particular card should be Blue instead of White, although I'm not sure I feel the function actually fits what the card is supposed to represent. I'd expect a White card with a slightly more White effect to represent this.

Edit:
Also, I tend to agree that White, Blue, and Green generally having ways to deal with all permanent types while Black and Red have weak spots to them is a colour pie issue that needs to be addressed in some manner. Yes, Green lacks true creature removal but it still has ways to deal with them while Red can't simply deal with most enchantments by punching them in the face. There should at least be some answers in colour even if they aren't very good.

It's funny, Blue can get the best creature removal under the Sun as long as it's themed around transformation, and yet Rosewater won't even touch Black or Red enchantment removal with a ten foot pole even if it's themed in a uniquely Black or Red manner.

Rosewater and all of R&D have a perennial blind spot about The Blue Issue, which is that blue gets to do stuff that feels blue while every other color* has to stick to stuff that Is That Color.

When I win GDS3** and present my list of color pie demands, it'd pretty much be like:

• Give red chaotic polymorphing (replacing a card with another of the same type from the deck)
  • Give red temporary reanimation (Unearth-style effects) - black doesn't need to lose it
  • Stop giving blue stuff just because it feels blue, especially removal
  • Let non-Standard sets use an expanded color pie because it's idiotic to say blue is just eternally better and no other color can get useful cards in all non-rotating formats
  • Give black and red appropriate mechanisms to address permanents they can't currently deal with (the red polymorphing actually helps with this, but it should expand a little)

*They actually kind of gave white this privilege too which is how white went from the worst color to the best color.
**Lol.

See, I agree with you in general that most of these kinds of effects are, with slightly tweaked flavour and function, better in White. That being said, I think it's OK for the occasional polymorph Blue card that fits into the colour, generally as an aura. I'd even say that the functionality on this particular card should be Blue instead of White, although I'm not sure I feel the function actually fits what the card is supposed to represent. I'd expect a White card with a slightly more White effect to represent this.

Yeah I clarified my position on blue polymorph a little I hope. In this case the card has to be blue because it's Tamiyo doing it so they need a way to represent it as a blue spell even if it's a tiny bit wonky how it actually works.

What's funny to me about it the more I think about it is how in the story this is a big momentous thing done to Emrakul, but in practice it's gonna be used on much dinkier stuff. Your squirrel token? IMPRISONED IN THE MOON.

MoxManiac

Considering that they've nerfed card drawing and countering in blue into the ground, I think the other stuff they've given the color is fine.

Considering that they've nerfed card drawing and countering in blue into the ground, I think the other stuff they've given the color is fine.

I don't know about the card draw part. We've only been a few months without Dig and Treasure Cruise. I don't think it's clear yet that they intend to nerf blue card draw.

In fairness, they've admitted that Blue's space has traditionally been comically overbroad and it has been reined in a bit from the worst days of the past (Remember when blue could do direct damage?). But yeah, Blue still does too much since it still turns out that being the colour of knowledge, learning, control, and, uh magic in a fantasy game generally about magical worlds is a problem.

Really, I think the biggest issue with Blue (which I say as a big fan of Blue for almost the entire history of the game) is that so many of the traditional Blue concepts, upon which the colour has been built, are frustrating to play against and/or tend to be overpowered. Counters, bounce, card draw, control magic, decent sized flying creatures, generally screwing around with the game state.

Ashodin

Sigarda's blessing holy fuck fuck fuck fuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkk

My mind exploded!

Turn one blessing
Turn two weapons trainer
Turn three slayer's plate
Turn four stone haven and or captain's claws hnnnggg

They're not nerfing blue card draw. They've just avoided printing good ones as long as Jace is in standard. I expect to see better blue draw after he's gone. They have just been careful not to put us into another dig/cruise interaction with jace.

Still not excited for the new set, but there's at least been interesting cards spiked this week. I'm probably not doing prerelease this time around. Maybe one if I can manage to not pay full price for it.

What is this Uncharted Realms that I see popping up a bit lately in this thread?

*goes to Gatherer*

That seems pretty good. What's this other card getting mentioned?

*Looks up Gifts Ungiven*

That... seems really good O_O

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't understand what the combo is supposed to be.

Genryu

Banned
I have a question about Imprisoned in the Moon.

If you put that on one of their basic lands, could you use Crumble to Dust on that land and "Search its controller's graveyard, hand, and library for any number of cards with the same name as that land and exile them."

If so, does that mean Liquimetal Coating + Splinter is technically back?

Edit: Oh wait, Basic is a supertype so it wouldn't get removed from Imprisoned in the Moon's ability.

Angry Grimace

Changing a cards types will not remove its supertype, including basic or legendary.

Supast4r

Sigarda's blessing holy fuck fuck fuck fuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkk

My mind exploded!

Turn one blessing
Turn two weapons trainer
Turn three slayer's plate
Turn four stone haven and or captain's claws hnnnggg
It sounds good until you draw the second copy of sigarda's blessing in your hand. This card doesn't play as good as it looks imho.

Supast4r

Just bought 100 copies of Realms Uncharted at a dollar a piece. Let's see if this pays off.

I don't think it will. I don't see some a version of scapeshift running realms uncharted when it can just play: a tempo game to get to scapeshift, primetime/inferno titan before their scapeshift.

Angry Grimace

It sounds good until you draw the second copy of sigarda's blessing in your hand. This card doesn't play as good as it looks imho.

I don't think anyone thinks it actually looks super good. Its just Ashodin being a huge Johnny.

cropsigil.jpg

Spookiest card on Innistrad. Actually, I do kind of want a Magic set with gray aliens messing with farmers and abducting cows and such.

And the art for Sigarda's Blessing is copying Creation of Adam for some reason.
sigardasblessing.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's really pretty blatant. On the other hand I love the expressions.

"have a hammer dude"
"thanks sigarda u da real mvp"

Angry Grimace

It's The Creation of Adam if God was a lady in fetish boots, maybe.

Ashodin

Equipment is god's gift to magic

TRUE STORY

OH FUCK

Today's Legendrule is gonna be tough

114.jpg

Oh shit I have to do this card justice

Angry Grimace

So sigarda is the only non corrupted angel left? I don't follow the story.

And what happened to sorin?

Sigarda wasn't able to be corrupted because in-story she has hexproof and hexproof-granting powers (obviously not on the same card).

Sorin's sort of imprisoned but it doesn't seem all that permanent - basically he got cocky and tried to suck Nahiri's blood to finish her in a fight, but she used her lithomancer powers to basically encase him in a stony prison that constantly tortures him and renders him unable to escape or planeswalk. Sorin was able to talk to Olivia Voldaren and asked her to break him out and she said "nah" so I assume at some point someone could break him out (or he'll die of hunger).

So sigarda is the only non corrupted angel left? I don't follow the story.

And what happened to sorin?

Actually, all we know is she's the only archangel that's uncorrupted.
As far as I can tell only Avacyn has been referred to as an archangel (and even then it was as the archangel) in Innistrad prior.

Sorin became a hopeless Zordon.

Firemind

Sigarda wasn't able to be corrupted because in-story she has hexproof and hexproof-granting powers (obviously not on the same card).

Sorin's sort of imprisoned but it doesn't seem all that permanent - basically he got cocky and tried to suck Nahiri's blood to finish her in a fight, but she used her lithomancer powers to basically encase him in a stony prison that constantly tortures him and renders him unable to escape or planeswalk. Sorin was able to talk to Olivia Voldaren and asked her to break him out and she said "nah" so I assume at some point someone could break him out (or he'll die of hunger).
Isn't Sorin a reverred god in innistrad?

And sucking blood to finish her off? Someone tell Sorin that just makes her into a vampire.

Ashodin

When this happened I was like yessssssssss it reminds me of old MTG stories

Supast4r

Isn't Sorin a reverred god in innistrad?

And sucking blood to finish her off? Someone tell Sorin that just makes her into a vampire.
It's implied in the story that sorin wanted to turn Nahiri into another avacyn via turning her into a vampire and draining her of her power so he can control her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom