• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good. Shame they didn't have the balls to actually kill him.

Yeah, I thought this was going to be a swan song for "ludicrously overpowered characters" (hence the frankly ludicrously easy removal of all 3 Eldrazi and the death of Avacyn) but somehow both Sorin and Nahiri survived.

It's implied in the story that sorin wanted to turn Nahiri into another avacyn via turning her into a vampire and draining her of her power so he can control her.

Lol wut?

EDIT: That new angel seems meh.

Ashodin

It's implied in the story that sorin wanted to turn Nahiri into another avacyn via turning her into a vampire and draining her of her power so he can control her.

What? No. no. no. no.

He just was going to finish her by taking her blood. She instead took his freedom.

RE: Subjugator Angel LIMITED BOMB

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209420722]Today's spoilers are nuts. That GW dude might be better in company decks than Avacyn. Blue song of the dryads is nuts. Spirit familiar is nuts.[/QUOTE]

It's better than Avacyn in a removal-light mirror, but I think for the most part Avacyn is better.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Isn't Sorin a reverred god in innistrad?

And sucking blood to finish her off? Someone tell Sorin that just makes her into a vampire.

That doesn't make Vampires. You have to drink a tincture made of Angel's Blood to become a Vampire on Innistrad.

So Sorin went for the anime battle trope of "I will now finish you off in the way that creates the biggest opening for you to have a surprise victory!"

It's better than Avacyn in a removal-light mirror, but I think for the most part Avacyn is better.

I think the cards are actually about equal in the mirror. All the instant speed removal in the format is basically grasp of darkness or exiles, so Avacyn's effect isn't as good as it would be if say, Hero's Downfall was in the format. I've actually won games that I would have struggled a lot more in because I forced my opponent's Avacyn to flip and kill all my opponent's own creatures. Generally I think Avacyn is actually worse against removal heavy opponents and is at her best when she can clear the board in creature mirrors and swing a couple times for the win.

New dude means company doesn't have to worry about hitting the 5th land for a massive swing, and the effect is even more devastating in the mirror because your 2/3s kill their 2/3s. Against removal heavy decks you still get haste damage and lifegain as long as you have at least one other creature. Furthermore, the new guy doesn't die to ultimate price and the difference between 3 and 4 toughness is mostly meaningless when it comes to actual removal being played in Standard,

It's close either way, though.

Santiako

Cmy1whzUkAAzD7l.jpg

Decent limited fodder.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's kind of hard to tell if he's wearing kneesocks or kneemail or if kneemail is just not metallic kneesocks.

I hope he has heels too just for maximum fabulousness.

Firemind

Just won a draft with Esper + Sanctum Gargoyle shenanigans. Who said Esper didn't have a theme? I like how all the shards have a theme with clear payoff cards (Esperzoa, Corpse Connoisseur, Necrogenesis, Exalted in general) Well, except Naya.

Kaladin

So I'm looking to get started playing the physical game with my wife. What is the best starter thing to get to jump in? Or is there a deck building kit better than the starter? I'm asking because I don't know and there is so much out there at this point

So I'm looking to get started playing the physical game with my fiance. What is the best starter thing to get to jump in? Or is there a deck building kit better than the starter? I'm asking because I don't know and there is so much out there at this point

If you want to just get into a game without worrying about deck building, you can buy a Duel Deck. You could also get two Intro Packs, but they might be too far on the basic side.

If you're fine with deck building, buy a Deck Builder's Toolkit and buy singles online to round out the decks you make.

Kaladin

If you want to just get into a game without worrying about deck building, you can buy a Duel Deck. You could also get two Intro Packs, but they might be too far on the basic side.

If you're fine with deck building, buy a Deck Builder's Toolkit and buy singles online to round out the decks you make.

I think two of the Deck Builder's Toolkits are the way to go for us.

Kaladin

Do both of you already know how to play and build decks? Actually making decks is by far the most intimidating part of Magic, so I wouldn't recommend going straight to that for beginners.

We have an idea of the basics from other smaller deck building games, and we think that would be one of the more interesting parts of the game.

noquarter

If you're looking at buying two deck builders toolkits I would look at getting a duel deck and a deckbuilders toolkit. Use the card from the kit to change the preconstructed decks some. It is one of the easier ways to ease into building a deck, since you will still have a skeleton. The toolkits themselves won't really have enough stuff to build a deck, but are really good at getting stuff to augment a deck and have enough variety for various types of decks.

Also, don't be afraid to look up decks online. You don't have to build it exactly, but you can get a frame of mind for what currently works well from the sets. It will help you understand the basic archetypes as well.

Or, if you don't mind spending an extra $10 you can each get an intro deck and a toolkit. Again, you get the skeleton of a deck and can swap stuff out.

red13th

I'd recommend against buying a Duel Deck if you are a starter, my cousin wanted to start playing and we got her the Speed vs Cunning Duel Deck and it was a pain to explain all the interactions. Lands that tap for 3 colours, X spells, Unearth etc.

ultron87

Aaw, if that was a may that'd be a super interesting card. Still kind of cool.

If you respond to the trigger I think it'll counter anything they cast in response also?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom