• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

Did some research online today and apparantly these open up with the slightest shake.
I have a few of them myself and this doens't match my experience. The lid is held in place by a couple of magnets. I've thrown them around in random bags plenty and never had one open on me.

Santiako

Last rare of the set:

en_ZdeOXlMwby.png

y2dvd

Cheap body, 1/3 body, and locks a creature down a turn all for 2cmc? I can see Fogwalker being constructed playable. Maybe more of a sb card vs aggro.

How is Thermo Alchemist a Common? This has enough complexity for uncommon at least.

Some of these Commons seem really good for compared to Commons from other sets. For example this one I don't think I will ever be not happy to pick up.

en_MQeifgopcQ.png

Santiako

At a first glance, white looks absurd for limited.

Cheap body, 1/3 body, and locks a creature down a turn all for 2cmc? I can see Fogwalker being constructed playable. Maybe more of a sb card vs aggro.

It doesn't tap the creature though, so it's not as good.

Daedardus

I have a few of them myself and this doens't match my experience. The lid is held in place by a couple of magnets. I've thrown them around in random bags plenty and never had one open on me.

Weird, because they normally have only one magnet. MTGGoldfish says that it opens up when you hold it upside down with a deck inside. They look nice though, I like the actual mana symbols.

Going to order an extra one of these: http://www.ultimateguard.com/en/boxes-cases/flip-n-tray/flip-n-tray-deck-case-80/blue.html. They come in some nice colors and are apparently really well built. Might buy a Satin Tower once I get my EDH deck back.

y2dvd

At a first glance, white looks absurd for limited.

It doesn't tap the creature though, so it's not as good.

Ah didn't catch that. Yeah never mind not so good anymore.

Expeditions seems to have stabilized in price. Do you think we'll see a price rise in the future? If so, how long until it does?

Hero

Ah didn't catch that. Yeah never mind not so good anymore.

Expeditions seems to have stabilized in price. Do you think we'll see a price rise in the future? If so, how long until it does?

They've been increasing slowly but surely since last year. Unless they reprint them again somehow (which I think would sour them on their next full art Zen gimmick) they have no where to go but up. Fetches will be the most desirable, obviously.

red13th

Cube additions:

Thalia, Heretic Cathar
Selfless Spirit
Wharf Infiltrator
Hanweir Garrison
Kessig Prowler
Noose Constrictor
and maybe Imprisoned in the Moon (EDIT: and Gisela, the Broken Blade, forgot about her)

Decent set, especially for a small set, but nothing spectacular IMO. Thalia and Selfless Spirit filled slots I've wanted to cut for a while already (Mirran Crusader and Soulfire Grandmaster) so I'm especially happy with them.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209482453]Weird reprint. Delirium enabler and Kaladesh plant?[/QUOTE]

I doubt they're planting it for anything given its a random common that only gets played in limited. It's mostly just to get you delirium.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Terrarion is definitely Kaladesh plant.

The existence of artifacts isn't necessarily a plant for an artifact block. Terrarion doesn't really do that much other than mana fixing and cantripping. Block plants tend to be actual interesting cards that do something meaningful, e.g. Ghostfire Blade.

Borrowed Grace - It's funny seeing a zombie use a holy relic.
Faith Unbroken - Interesting to see this combination of effects.
Give No Ground - +2/+6? OK then.
Repel the Abominable - This seems pretty good, especially since it also prevents noncombat damage.
Sigardian Priest - Good to see she didn't get corrupted after all. But then, what was with that Eldrazified art from earlier? None of those have showed up.

Contingency Plan - Jace: OK, arms out or arms crossed? At least I can switch between them if one doesn't work with the audience.
Displace - I like the flavor text here.
Enlightened Maniac - For some reason, I find this card charming.
Scour the Laboratory - Definitely not Treasure Cruise, but by the time you want to draw three cards in a delirium deck, this will be 2UU, so maybe playable?

Certain Death - Oh hey, it's Slenderman.
Graf Harvest - A repeatable way to get zombie tokens, so maybe playable?
Prying Questions - The art and flavor is pretty creepy. Also, reminded of that comedy character from Parasyte.
Rise from the Grave - It's been a while since this was reprinted.
Ruthless Disposal - 3 for 2, with a minor possibility of casting the discarded card for madness and/or taking advantage of the sacrificed creature. I don't think it will be used in Standard, but there may be interesting things to do with it in Commander.
Thraben Foulbloods - I was always irrationally annoyed by Thraben Purebloods.

Alchemist's Greeting - This guy looks like Urza.
Blood Mist - Hmm, maybe decent?
Borrowed Hostility - The versatility might make it decent.
Conduit of Storms - Oh nice, they're still doing that thing where red can add mana when attacking. Might be decent in a werewolf deck.
Furyblade Vampire - I feel like this could be good in a vampire / madness deck.
Impetuous Devils - One more than Ball Lightning, but the fact that a creature must block (not necessarily that it must block this) could mean it's still decent.
Otherworldly Outburst - This is a really interesting trick, especially at common. Of course, it's always best to use it when a creature is about to die, but you could also use it on your opponent's creature.
Prophetic Ravings - Hey, it's the OG Mad Prophet! This is definitely better than the equivalent in Theros block that required mana to rummage, and this also provides haste. You could use it to give a creature haste and then later in the game, when it's not as useful as an attacker, you can start rummaging.
Savage Alliance - Probably not even decent... but maybe? 3R to deal 3 damage to one creature and 1 to every other opposing creature.
Shreds of Sanity - This seems like it could be good. Return two cards and discard a madness card.
Stensia Innkeeper - Oh shit, red is getting land freezing! They're finally doing it!
Thermo-Alchemist - Really liked Nettle Drone. While this can't attack, it's still nice to still see this effect at common.
Weaver of Lightning - This seems like it could be good.

Foul Emissary - That last effect is weirdly specific for what we usually see in Magic.
Hamlet Captain - Possibly playable in Bant Humans?
Somberwald Stag - It's still weird seeing "enter the battlefield, fight" effects in green. Note that this is the same cost as that red "deal 4 damage to a creature" sorcery (though that does have madness).
Swift Spinner - I wonder if that spider will be disappointed trying to eat a geist.
Tangleclaw Werewolf - Odd to see "block an additional creature" in green, though I suppose that spider printed in the previous set did that too.
Waxing Moon - Well, at least they did print a werewolf transform card.
Woodcutter's Grit - This seems to provide a better boost to cost ratio than previous green hexproof instants have.

Drownyard Behemoth - This is an interesting hexproof variant, only helping on the turn you first use it as a blocker (since it isn't helpful at other times).
Field Creeper - Nice art.
Geist-Fueled Scarecrow - I'm surprised to see this downside again.
Slayer's Cleaver - Delicious?
Terrarion - I was going to say it's interesting that they specifically printed a card like this that would be weak in Eggs, but it's a reprint, so...

kirblar

Who the F is doing SCG's social media?

StarCityGames.com
‏@starcitygames

.@ShaunMcLaren & @RossHunneds act like pro Magic players. But also pervs. #MTGEMN #MTG http://buff.ly/29tdhMk
Looking at the article, they're doing a cute Tinder gimmick with recently spoiled cards. Nothing "pervy" about it.

Ashodin

The existence of artifacts isn't necessarily a plant for an artifact block. Terrarion doesn't really do that much other than mana fixing and cantripping. Block plants tend to be actual interesting cards that do something meaningful, e.g. Ghostfire Blade.
I look at it and see:

Artifact recursion
Importance of two colors (Kaladesh speculated to be enemy color set)
Cantrip
Near zero cost artifact for affinity shenanigans

And more

Angry Grimace

I look at it and see:

Artifact recursion
Importance of two colors (Kaladesh speculated to be enemy color set)
Cantrip
Near zero cost artifact for affinity shenanigans

And more

I just don't think its just not the kind of card you see as a plant; they could just print Terrarion in Kaladesh if it had some kind of utility there. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I would be surprised if Kaladesh is as artifact themed as you guys are imagining to begin with. The last few times they went all-in on artifacts it was pretty busted. I'm expecting a U/R artifact theme much like in Origins, but I would be surprised if it was as extensive as Mirrodin or something.

Angry Grimace

Also, Vintage Cube went up early because wheeee Vintage Cube

4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
4 Wharf Infiltrator
3 Gisela, the Broken Blade
2 Bruna, the Fading Light
3 Sidisi, Undead Vizier
2 Dragonlord Silumgar

4 Grasp of Darkness
4 Epiphany at the Drownyard
4 Languish
4 Ever After

1 Soul Separator

1 Blighted Fen
4 Evolving Wilds
2 Island
2 Plains
3 Prairie Stream
4 Shambling Vent
4 Sunken Hollow
5 Swamp

Yeef

I just don't think its just not the kind of card you see as a plant; they could just print Terrarion in Kaladesh if it had some kind of utility there. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I would be surprised if Kaladesh is as artifact themed as you guys are imagining to begin with. The last few times they went all-in on artifacts it was pretty busted. I'm expecting a U/R artifact theme much like in Origins, but I would be surprised if it was as extensive as Mirrodin or something.
I'm expecting a heavier artifact as-fan vs. most sets, but lower than Mirrodin block or Scars block. I think we'll see a lot of colored cards that make artifact tokens, a la investigate and thopters in Origins. The way Wizards does designs these days "Artifact set" isn't really something they'd do as the major gimmick. Just like Theros was Greek Mythology with an Enchantment subtheme, I expect Kaladesh to be Steampunk with an artifact subtheme.

My expectations for Kaladesh are:
* "E-mechanic", due to hinting about a mechanic they've been trying to get working for a long time.
* Contraptions, for the same reason as above, and generally MaRo's excitement.
* Cycling. This is based on interactions with Shadows Over Innistrad, and the fact that a development article a few weeks ago mentioned their interest in bringing the "cycle for M" lands into Modern.

alternade

My expectations for Kaladesh are:
* "E-mechanic", due to hinting about a mechanic they've been trying to get working for a long time.
* Contraptions, for the same reason as above, and generally MaRo's excitement.
* Cycling. This is based on interactions with Shadows Over Innistrad, and the fact that a development article a few weeks ago mentioned their interest in bringing the "cycle for M" lands into Modern.

Id love to see Equipment Matters as a block theme. Maybe equipments that check for eachother or become creatures.

Supast4r

This is how I feel about the set in general for modern.

Cards that already have deck homes:
-Spell Queller (UWx midrange) (esper spirits)
-Mausoleum Wanderer (esper spirits/any deck with spectral procession)
-Chaos Reveler (delver, grixis control)
-Liliana, the Last Hope (grixis control sideboard, UB faeries)
-Thalia, Heretic Cathar (GW hatebears, eldrazi and taxes)
-Collective Brutality (sideboard tech against aggro)
-Selfless Soul (chord/abzan CoCo sideboard)
-Blessed Alliance (anti aggro sideboard tech)
-Cryptbreaker (dredgevine)

Cards that can spawn new decks:
-Noose Constrictor/Grim Flayer/Grapple with the Past (GB madness/dredgevine/delirium)
-Gnarlwood Dryad (delirium)
-Eldritch Evolution (old pod)

Cards that seem good but may not work out
-Imprisoned in the Moon
-Geier Reach Sanitarium
-Curious Homunculus (I want this to work out so badly)
-Nephalia Academy
-Bloodhall Priest
-Lone Rider
-unsubstantiate
-Gisa and Geralf
-Nahiri's Wrath
-Stunning Regrowth
-Succumb to Temptation
-Whispers of Emrakul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom