• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about tertiary colours for keywords I thought about how a set not messing those up like Planar Chaos but where pretty much everything has them would be interesting.

Like say how would a set play out if all creatures in it had haste.

Malvolio

What do you guys use for deck boxes? I'm looking for something durable, easy to handle but with a nice aesthetic. Price isn't an issue, decks are more expensive anyway and it's more important to me that it keeps the deck safe.

A bit late, but I picked up one of these and love it:
ULTIMATE-GUARD-200-XENOSKIN-TWIN-FLIP-N-TRAY-DECK-CASE-BOX-BLACK-UGD010379-02.jpg

It's big, but works great for keeping my two EDH decks protected when traveling. Expensive, but as you said it's worth the extra cost. The value of my EDH decks make me feel very uncomfortable when traveling, but at least with this I feel like they are as secure as possible.

Supast4r

What? Zombies was tier 2 at best back then. Even when RTR came about with BG zombie support, people played other stuff.

the deck shell was the deck to beat for a long time. It outclassed many decks until the thragtusk/restoration angel synergy caught on.

kirblar

Per his FB Page, John Avon has a 5-cycle of Acryllic artworks in the block following Kaladesh, the first time he's used them in 14 years. He also specifically says they'll "make a splash."

Zen fetches inc. (Also fits with the spec that Kaladesh is Enemy colored- they seem to like printing fetches in a block where they're not syncing up fully)

Crocodile

Per his FB Page, John Avon has a 5-cycle of Acryllic artworks in the block following Kaladesh, the first time he's used them in 14 years. He also specifically says they'll "make a splash."

Zen fetches inc. (Also fits with the spec that Kaladesh is Enemy colored- they seem to like printing fetches in a block where they're not syncing up fully)

The impression I have of Kaladesh is basically that of Ravnica but with an Indian twist and stronger steampunk focus. It doesn't seem like the type of plane to have Misty Rainforsets and Arid Mesas? I'm not making an emphatic argument that they aren't there though.

kirblar

The impression I have of Kaladesh is basically that of Ravnica but with an Indian twist and stronger steampunk focus. It doesn't seem like the type of plane to have Misty Rainforsets and Arid Mesa? I'm not making an emphatic argument that they aren't there though.
Fetches appear to be the block immediately after. Spring 2017.

The impression I have of Kaladesh is basically that of Ravnica but with an Indian twist and stronger steampunk focus. It doesn't seem like the type of plane to have Misty Rainforsets and Arid Mesas? I'm not making an emphatic argument that they aren't there though.

We saw in Chandra's origin story that there are plenty of forested areas and small villages. Compared to Ravnica and especially Mirrodin, there appear to be a lot more natural areas. Still, we're definitely not getting fetches in Kaladesh with the tangolands still in Standard. Anyway, kirblar was talking about "Barrel" block.

cuc

I need help recalling an old set. Which set from the 1998-2000 era featured a smoke-like monster in its promotional art? The monster is black and humanoid in general shape, with memorably wavy outlines. I think it's moving its arm to smash its opponent in the art.
Figured that out myself. That's Thorn Elemental, the marquee card of 7th Edition.

And here's some 90s CGI from the 7th Edition tutorial CD-ROM showing THE POWER! of Thorn Elemental.

y2dvd

Except they dont because many of the critical cards are mythics?

It's a slow Saturday and I'm bored.

EMA mythics
Card-price today/price during SOI release

Force of Will-110/80 +30
Mana Crypt-93/166 -73
Karakas-75/155 -80
Jace-70/92 -22
Vampiric Tutor-28/31 -3
Natural Order-26/33 -6
Sneak Attack-26/43 -17
Dack Fayden-20/35 -15
Chrom Mox-15/15 +-0
Maelstrom Wanderer-12/25 -13
Argothian Enchantress-9/14 -5
Necropotence-8/9 -1
Balance-4/1 +3
Worldgorger Dragon-2/3 -1
Sphinx of the Steel Wind-2/1 +1

Most cards saw a decent price drop while maintaining some value. Some saw a few dollar difference. There are two cards with at least $70 dropped price. FoW is a unique beast because it's a demanding 4 of and that new art is sweet, so the price actually increased.

Again, even if the prices didn't drop by much, there are more circulation of these cards now. These cards and most of the modern staples we want reprinted would honestly be too busted to be reprinted in standard. So I'm fine with the master sets for the most part, even if I opened pretty crappy with the MM15 set. ;(

*edit
Tcgplayers' response and changes to the buyouts.
http://store.tcgplayer.com/help/buyoutresponse

Daedardus

A bit late, but I picked up one of these and love it:
ULTIMATE-GUARD-200-XENOSKIN-TWIN-FLIP-N-TRAY-DECK-CASE-BOX-BLACK-UGD010379-02.jpg

It's big, but works great for keeping my two EDH decks protected when traveling. Expensive, but as you said it's worth the extra cost. The value of my EDH decks make me feel very uncomfortable when traveling, but at least with this I feel like they are as secure as possible.

I picked up the smaller one with only one deck compartment, looks really nice from what I can see online. Weird that it's apparently so hard to make decent deck boxes, the quality control of Ultra Pro seems really bad.

ultron87

removal heavy decks might just not be able to deal with them and they are fetchable with GSZ meaning 1 is enough.
Hmm, from what I've seen Elves aren't that worried about the 1 to 1 removal decks. They can just overwhelm them by going wide or comboing off. It's the sweepers or repeatable removal (Jitte, Lavamancer, Darkblast etc) that gives them problems. And having just one body that sticks around, but doesn't contribute to any of the engine, isn't that impactful since they'll just kill the important elves and leave you with a 1/1. Thrun, as a 4/4, could be a little more impactful, but not tussling particularly well with Goyfs and Anglers is a problem. And he's just so expensive.

The enemy fetches thing seems pretty likely (I doubt he'd be able to make that comment all that well about a new land cycle, and there's no existing cycle of 5 this would apply to more) but I still think the enemy color spec on Kaladesh is silly.

Malvolio

I picked up the smaller one with only one deck compartment, looks really nice from what I can see online. Weird that it's apparently so hard to make decent deck boxes, the quality control of Ultra Pro seems really bad.

Indeed, the quality is very high. Great texture on the outside for grip and the magnetic closure is very secure. Inside has a soft suede-like material that might be a bit unnecessary, but really adds to the high end feel. You made a great choice.

kirblar

The enemy fetches thing seems pretty likely (I doubt he'd be able to make that comment all that well about a new land cycle, and there's no existing cycle of 5 this would apply to more) but I still think the enemy color spec on Kaladesh is silly.
They established U/R as a strong color focus/pair w/ Thopters already, and given we've had a grand total of Zero enemy-color blocks, it's a box they've desperately needed to check for a long time.

Also, MaRo says it's really good, which means it probably isn't using the 10 Equal Pairs horseshit MM1 approach.

Crocodile

I missed the "block following Kaladesh" in the speculation. Carry on :p

They established U/R as a strong color focus/pair w/ Thopters already, and given we've had a grand total of Zero enemy-color blocks, it's a box they've desperately needed to check for a long time.

Also, MaRo says it's really good, which means it probably isn't using the 10 Equal Pairs horseshit MM1 approach.

Why would that influence Maro's thinking on what is and isn't good? I'm not convinced he shares your distaste for sets/blocks that try to balance all 10 color pairs with rigid archetypes. Unless he's said so somewhere?

kirblar

Why would that influence Maro's thinking on what is and isn't good? I'm not convinced he shares your distaste for sets/blocks that try to balance all 10 color pairs with rigid archetypes. Unless he's said so somewhere?
I'm saying that if he thinks it's that good, it's unlikely they have the block set up that way (as only Theros actually succeeded doing it this way.)

Hmm, from what I've seen Elves aren't that worried about the 1 to 1 removal decks. They can just overwhelm them by going wide or comboing off. It's the sweepers or repeatable removal (Jitte, Lavamancer, Darkblast etc) that gives them problems. And having just one body that sticks around, but doesn't contribute to any of the engine, isn't that impactful since they'll just kill the important elves and leave you with a 1/1. Thrun, as a 4/4, could be a little more impactful, but not tussling particularly well with Goyfs and Anglers is a problem. And he's just so expensive.

Well I thought of it after reed got his board tucked by terminus and scrambled for anything getting those final 2 health down off his opponent. He cast GSZ and the best he could get was elvish mystic. The 1/1 could get traded by snapcaster is an issue so thrun might be the next best thing

We're also losing the Painlands with the release of Kaladesh. Which would leave enemy colored decks in Standard with just two land cycles for fixing, and they'll need to finish the cycle of battle-lands somewhere. The recent push that UR spellslinger support, WR equipment matters effects, and WB lifegain archetype cards have seen in the past two blocks seems more than coincidental to me.

kirblar

We're also losing the Painlands with the release of Kaladesh. Which would leave enemy colored decks in Standard with just two land cycles for fixing, and they'll need to finish the cycle of battle-lands somewhere. The recent push that UR spellslinger support, WR equipment matters effects, and WB lifegain archetype cards have seen in the past two blocks seems more than coincidental to me.
I expect the Fastlands to get finished.

I expect the Fastlands to get finished.

That would probably be better than having enemy color dual lands along with enemy color fetches in Standard. It might be more likely that they would want to just finish the Battleland cycle though, but I can can see them going with Fastlands to avoid making the exact same mistakes they just made with fetches in Standard. Fastlands would also be a good way to entice older players to buy packs if this new exotic setting doesn't do anything for them. Just like the fetches did for Tarkir.

So I've been doing some cockatrice goldfishing and Emerge seems absurdly good. Like, really really busted.

Honestly, I'm not that surprised. Every time that I can think of where Wizards tried to reduce the cost of a card(Delve, P!Mana,Affinity, the Shoal cycle, Emerge if it is as busted as you say) without a cap on the reducing of cost(Whatever the new Delirium Draw 3 spell is), there's always those 2-4 cards with the mechanic that slip through and become super busted(Cruise, Dig, Pod, Mental Misstep).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Enemy colored untapped lands are going to be in Kaladesh though. They basically have to be or there would be more allied duals than enemy duals. I really want the goddamn Enemy Scarsfastlands. It's idiotic they don't exist in Modern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom