• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

20 fucking packs. Between my pool and my prize packs I opened 20 fucking eldritch moon boosters and got exactly fuckall of value. Seriously the most valuable card was harmless offering. To make it worse right as I opened my last prize pack the guy behind me opens his first and yells "oh shit a foil nahiri" and I just about flipped a fucking table.
I actually skipped the prerelease to watch EVO, in part because of this. Spent about 150 (+20 ebay bux) on preorders and got just about everything I need. (including a full C/U set)

bigkrev

Went 3-0-1 in my prerelease with a Mono-Green deck splashing Red for Arlinn and splashing blue for a Sleep Paralysis, Chilling Grasp and a Wretched Gryff. I thought I had zero chance- I had flyers outside of the Gryff, I had no combat tricks, and I had no removal outside of Arlinn and Paralysis, but due to luck, I ended up with $36 in Store credit (you can use credit to enter tournaments)

20 fucking packs. Between my pool and my prize packs I opened 20 fucking eldritch moon boosters and got exactly fuckall of value. Seriously the most valuable card was harmless offering. To make it worse right as I opened my last prize pack the guy behind me opens his first and yells "oh shit a foil nahiri" and I just about flipped a fucking table.

Nahiri is in SOI though

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Just punted a match in epic fashion. Feels bad man.

y2dvd

Went 3-1 again. My box was actually missing a promo, which I saw happened to someone else yesterday. Since it was the last event though, they had no more boxes to replace it with! So I pretty much went handicap with a card that could've helped my deck. They tried to give me a janky promo as a replacement and I was like eff that. Contact WotC and see what they can do for me.

I still find it hilarious that Red is continuously shafted by Wizards while every other color gets its time in the limelight. I mean, I don't care for red at times(Red having been the defacto removal colour for a while), but it's less because Red is a bad colour on the pie and more because Red's mechanical identity is so narrow to Wizards. They will use whatever excuse they can to give Blue/Green/White whatever card floats their boat(Green somehow moving from Fight to "one sided curbstomp" in removal over the past 2 years, White getting the best reanimation spell that Messed up Standard for a season, Blue getting the new Tamiyo "Seal Emrakul in moon" card). Black is black and is relatively playable each season of Standard(BW Control/GB Sac is a thing this standard, with Black providing a large share of the deck). Meanwhile Red is in the corner, trying to figure out what it can do. Burn is beaten hard by Dromoka's Command, the Red wipe requires 3 colours to work, the two best monored cards in Standard(Chandra Flamecaller and Goblin Dark Dwellers) are focused entirely on a more Midrange shell that doesn't exist right now.

Ozigizo

Lol, had a draft with Gisella, Thalia, the white rare escalate, Sorin, and Arlin all in the same pool. Drop Sorin, opponent scoops.

My store was giving prizes out as a split on SOI and EDM. I would assume that would be the same at all stores, because Wizards provides the prize packs?

Sounds like your store is trying to keep EMN packs instead of giving them out. That's super shitty.

Trying out a superfriends list right now, absolutely demolished UR Deep Fried. Second game I mulled to 5 and it wasn't close. Game 1 was close until I dropped emra2l sacced their deepfried to a gryff and dealt him 6 off his painlands.

2M39cCK.png

I so want to go black for oath of liliana but gideon and nissa are necessities for superfriends to work so that only leaves bant and naya.

I went 4-0 at the 16-person pre-release today. My pool had Arlinn Kord, Ulrich of the Krallenhorde, and Ishkanah, Grafwidow; I built green-black delirium with a splash of red for Arlinn and Ulrich. The store I went to does pack-per-win so I only walked away with 4 EDM packs but they had a Tamiyo and Gisela in them so I was happy.
My girlfriend got Emrakul in her pool and Liliana in her prize packs. It was a fun and successful day overall.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Went 2-1-1 in a two headed giant prerelease with my brother. There were some cards I should have put in that I over looked that might have gotten us wins. Also Elder Deep Fried is legit.

Bonethug

Screwing around on the beta; fuck CoCo, Jace+Wharf (in the CoCo deck), Reflector Mage and Elder Deep Fiend. No fun to be had.

Spirits is okay, but you just get blown out if you don't get a good tempo draw.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Screwing around on the beta; fuck CoCo, Jace+Wharf (in the CoCo deck), Reflector Mage and Elder Deep Fiend. No fun to be had.

Spirits is okay, but you just get blown out if you don't get a good tempo draw.
Instant speed removal is great against Deep Fried.

I still find it hilarious that Red is continuously shafted by Wizards while every other color gets its time in the limelight. I mean, I don't care for red at times(Red having been the defacto removal colour for a while), but it's less because Red is a bad colour on the pie and more because Red's mechanical identity is so narrow to Wizards. They will use whatever excuse they can to give Blue/Green/White whatever card floats their boat(Green somehow moving from Fight to "one sided curbstomp" in removal over the past 2 years, White getting the best reanimation spell that Messed up Standard for a season, Blue getting the new Tamiyo "Seal Emrakul in moon" card). Black is black and is relatively playable each season of Standard(BW Control/GB Sac is a thing this standard, with Black providing a large share of the deck). Meanwhile Red is in the corner, trying to figure out what it can do. Burn is beaten hard by Dromoka's Command, the Red wipe requires 3 colours to work, the two best monored cards in Standard(Chandra Flamecaller and Goblin Dark Dwellers) are focused entirely on a more Midrange shell that doesn't exist right now.

I have absolutely no problem with Red taking a back seat for a few sets. It's been the defacto deck to play to win the pro tour for almost 2 years running until recently. It's been the aggro boogie man in the format for even longer. I appreciate that WotC is trying to find a new secondary identity for the color and am also a little happy that I don't have to be worried about being burned out of games of standard on the regular in addition to the awesome creatures that are beating me down when they pair with either white or green. I don't mind red finding something else to do for a while.

Welp I'm already tired of beta standard and the 2 drafts I did weren't exciting even if it wasn't a difficult draft.
Feels like EES will be mostly curve out business with emerge in the mix, which will be a pain to play around.

Gonna draft next FNM and see where it goes.

I have absolutely no problem with Red taking a back seat for a few sets. It's been the defacto deck to play to win the pro tour for almost 2 years running until recently. It's been the aggro boogie man in the format for even longer. I appreciate that WotC is trying to find a new secondary identity for the color and am also a little happy that I don't have to be worried about being burned out of games of standard on the regular in addition to the awesome creatures that are beating me down when they pair with either white or green. I don't mind red finding something else to do for a while.
A problem is that they aren't pushing these new things for red enough, particularly at lower rarities. I'm glad that they appear to be consistent about giving red "discard your hand, draw 2/3 cards", temporary drawing, and caring about having spells in the graveyard (both in amount and in particular, like with Kozilek's Return), but it's been slow going.

I'm really glad they're testing giving red land tapping, but I'm really disappointed that we're getting responses like this saying to move it to green, and in the comments for this post, you have a lot of people missing the point and saying they dislike it in red and would prefer land destruction, and that it feels like it belongs in blue.

Toxi

Banned
I'm really glad they're testing giving red land tapping, but I'm really disappointed that we're getting responses like this saying to move it to green, and in the comments for this post, you have a lot of people missing the point and saying they dislike it in red and would prefer land destruction, and that it feels like it belongs in blue.
The problem with land tapping is that it's a mechanic you can't push or make strong. If you do, it leads to "unfun" gameplay that everybody hates.

Case in point

RishadanPort.jpg

So giving it to Red is not really worth much.

The problem with land tapping is that it's a mechanic you can't push or make strong. If you do, it leads to "unfun" gameplay that everybody hates.

Case in point

RishadanPort.jpg

I think it's a lot easier to push than land destruction proper is, certainly, because if you don't make it repeatable it's just a good tempo effect. Like, instead of a Hill Giant you'd never want to play otherwise, put the same effect on a 1R 2/1 Goblin.

WEGGLES

Went to my first prerelease ever won 2 lost 3. Not bad for my first kick at the cat. Had a blue red deck. Can't wait for Kaladesh. I liked the pre-release if only because it's fun playing a set without an established meta. everyone just trying something, seein what sticks.

I even had flavour win when I imprisoned Emrakul in the moon. (Still lost tho lol)

After playing with lili some time she feels like a win more card. If you can stick her enough to get value out of her you were already far ahead. In those cases she can be pretty crushing though.

Yeef

First even today, I got to live the dream. Opened Bruna and Gisela in the same pool. The meld ability should just say "win the game" because every time I did it my opponent scooped on the spot. The exception is one guy who thought he had answers in hand, then I reminded him about the "cant cast cheap spells" ability and that made him scoop.

Second event, I opened an Emrakul. My pool wanted me to play UB delirium, but I played Naya ramp instead, because I wanted to play Emrakul. Only ever managed to cast it once, but it won me a game that i would have otherwise lost handily.

From what I've played, I like this set a lot so far. Overall, it feels faster than SOI, but it also feels like there's more to do late game if things slow down before you can win.

Haines

Banned
Played red green today. average midrange. Removal and no bombs.

Went 4-3 and got 6 packs plus 3 mirrodin besieged packs. I don't know what to do with them. Open them I guess?

Can I get your guys opinions.

Store A) 65 players. Top 16 3 packs each. Top 8 6 packs each

Store b) 35 players top 16 6 packs each top 8 16 packs each

Both places cost same. I don't understand how prize support works but ive heard maybe store a is keeping a box of packs to himself and being greedy?

Chorazin

Went 2-1-1 with a Black/Red weenie/pump deck, ain't even mad. Didn't pull any Cryotbreakers but I did trade for one.

Also pulled that crazy Dragon, was able to swing once with it but then it was Imprisoned so yaaaaay. :/

y2dvd

Anyone ever dealt with WotC? I put in a ticket about my missing promo. I also included a side note to do away with the reserved list so they can reprint duallands lol.

Case in point

RishadanPort.jpg

There's a huge range of what can be done with land tapping below Rishadan Port, though. Even putting "(1), Tap: Tap target land" on a one-mana creature is a huge decrease in power.

In addition to repeatable tapping, land freezing also works in multiples and as a rider for other spells.

As a one shot effect for freezing all lands, that's comparable to Silence, so it would be R or 1R.

Rumbling Earth - 1R
Sorcery
Tap all lands your opponents control. Those lands don't untap during their controllers' next untap steps.

It can work as a cantrip.

Land Pillage - 2R
Sorcery
Tap up to three target lands. Those lands don't untap during their controllers' next untap steps.
Draw a card.

As a rider for another effect.

Hit Someone and Wreck Their Place - 2R
Sorcery
Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
Tap up to two target lands. (Don't untap text.)

And as a repeatable effect beyond an activated ability.

Kessig Partier - 2R
Creature - Human Warrior
Whenever Kessig Partier attacks, tap target land defending player controls. (Don't untap text.)
2/3

I have no idea how this would be properly balanced, but there's a pretty big range of ways to adjust it. MaRo's response to this question suggests that they intend to use land freezing to bring back red control decks based on resource denial, and this response suggests that if it proves too weak now, they'll improve it.

EDIT: More ideas.

Kessig Squatter - 3R
Creature - Human
When Kessig Squatter enters the battlefield, tap target land an opponent controls. That land doesn't untap during its controller's untap step for as long as you control Kessig Squatter.
2/2

Fire Juggler - 1R
Creature - Goblin Shaman
When Fire Juggler dies, lands target player controls don't untap during that player's next untap step.
2/1

Schryver

Played my first ever Prereleases last night and today. Had fun and opened some solid stuff but today they ran out of kits and just used packs for some people (me) so no one could use their promo. The first event I had Ishkanah which I decided to splash in my BW deck even though I had no chance of delirium. Probably not a good idea. Had some real nice removal/tricks but went 1-2-1 I think. Today I made a BG deck with Liliana and I got her out most games. Had more decent removal but only went 2-1-2 since I wasnt very happy with the creatures I had. Fibrous entangler does work when flipped though. Had an annoying dude who should have just conceded after time ran out since I had him dominated in the last game but he wanted his useless draw.

Most crazy play of last night was when I was 1 turn from killing my opponent with Bruna in the air. He plays Malevolent Whispers to steal her and hit me for 7. Alright I will still win on my turn... But then he has exact mana to emerge Elder Deep Fiend by sacrificing my Bruna. GG lol

Played my first ever Prereleases last night and today. Had fun and opened some solid stuff but today they ran out of kits and just used packs for some people (me) so no one could use their promo. The first event I had Ishkanah which I decided to splash in my BW deck even though I had no chance of delirium. Probably not a good idea. Had some real nice removal/tricks but went 1-2-1 I think. Today I made a BG deck with Liliana and I got her out most games. Had more decent removal but only went 2-1-2 since I wasnt very happy with the creatures I had. Fibrous entangler does work when flipped though. Had an annoying dude who should have just conceded after time ran out since I had him dominated in the last game but he wanted his useless draw.
I ran into a similar situation on Saturday where I was on my way to winning before time and turns ran out. Still, put yourself in your opponent's position. Would you have conceded?

Most crazy play of last night was when I was 1 turn from killing my opponent with Bruna in the air. He plays Malevolent Whispers to steal her and hit me for 7. Alright I will still win on my turn... But then he has exact mana to emerge Elder Deep Fiend by sacrificing my Bruna. GG lol
image.php

(not sure if this expression actually works for this)

Anyway, good to see that you had fun at your first prerelease.

sgjackson

i feel like if i were making a 4 drop creature to be the "we want to bring back the feeling of land destruction" mascot for red i'd have made it an avalanche riders throwback and stuck haste on it. i'm not sure if a 2/2 haste with that ability is good enough to be impactful (don't play enough standard), but i think there's a way to make it so it feels pushed and the callback is obvious.

Santiako

July Commander Banlist Update: No changes.

Sheldon said:
18 July 2016

Banned List: No Changes

Rules: No Changes

The Eldritch Moon update for Commander is far more than “no changes, the format is healthy.” In one of our longest-ever Commander Rules Committee meetings, we delved into breaking down our process to ensure that even a “no changes” result went through the same rigorous discussion and debate as would a much larger update. We talked about how and why people get into the format, why they keep playing (or don’t), the scope of the Banned List, and, of course, cards. We went through our now-routine exercise of making an argument for removing a card from the Banned List. In the end, we found ourselves quite happy with where the format is at the moment as well as its direction for the future.

bigkrev

Magic stuff from the Hasbro Earnings report, not much to see

In addition, on July 22, MAGIC: THE GATHERING will launch Eldritch
Moon, the second set within the Shadows Over Innistrad. Shadows is off
to a strong start, as global prerelease event attendance matched our
previous record, and our Launch Weekend event had the highest global
participation ever.
MAGIC revenues grew in the International segment in the second
quarter, with strong metrics in all regions. However, planned set release
timing shifted this year and created uneven comparisons versus the first
half of last year. Despite this shift, we expect 2016 to be the 8th straight
year of revenue growth for MAGIC: THE GATHERING. Its popularity
remains unmatched within the strategic trading card genre and we are
successfully expanding global engagement and advancing the game into
new formats, including e-sports and digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom