• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time Spiral block is good, it's just good in a way that requires a huge amount of knowledge and investment to enjoy. It's the only time in history they ever saw tournament attendance go up and sales go down, so from a corporate perspective it's not really a very fruitful direction. Rosewater calling it their "art house" block isn't too far off.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The new Magic Story is nothing but generic peppy one-liners from every member of the Jacetice League.

Concerning a new Time Spiral, SOI and EMN have been very heavy with references to original Innistrad. When we return to Dominaria, I expect the flavor will feel like Time Spiral, even if the mechanics won't.

Magic Story - Battle of Thraben
* When Jace returns to Innistrad, he goes up to the biggest werewolves there and tries to beat them up with his mind. It works on two, but it doesn't on the third, because it transforms into an Eldrazi Werewolf in response. Gideon arrives and beats it up for him.
* Apparently arriving planeswalkers can hear enough of a conversation to respond to it before they fully appear. *shrug*
* Chandra and Nissa arrive. Nissa notes that the plane is dark and twisted, but it's not all Emrakul's fault. Jace clarifies the plane was always dark and twisted.
* Jace suggests doing the same thing as last time, but Nissa can't due to the cryptolith network.
* Liliana talks to Gared (the lab assistant). Liliana revels in the world ending, but Gared points out that's the normal state for Innistrad.
* Chandra and Gideon are killing Eldrazi Horrors. Nissa says she could call elementals, but they wouldn't like what would respond.
* They can't push forward anymore, so they defend Nissa while she taps into the leylines, which take the form of thorny vines. Innistrad's leylines don't like her and fight back, digging into her skin and wrapping around her neck until she breaks away.
* Liliana's zombies come to their rescue. Gideon doesn't appreciate her help, but Chandra does. Nissa really doesn't like her, or rather her Chain Veil, and Gideon has to calm her down. He says if Jace trusts her, he will.
* Get it guys? Red and blue are black's allies, and white and green are its enemies. Green is usually to most open to other colors, but it's getting hung up on the artifact. "It's like poetry, it rhymes." Though seriously, I'm not upset about them representing the color philosophies, just that this was a bit too obvious.

red13th

* Get it guys? Red and blue are black's allies, and white and green are its enemies. Green is usually to most open to other colors, but it's getting hung up on the artifact. "It's like poetry, it rhymes." Though seriously, I'm not upset about them representing the color philosophies, just that this was a bit too obvious.

This is so bad. :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I played a guy on Bant Company w/Spell Queller and Elder Deep Fried and I would say the deck felt pretty much oppressive.

Ashodin

The Avacyn art I didn't know I wanted

Cn1VfgiVMAADi0J.jpg:large

also lol thighs

OnPoint

Made a decision.

I'm playing GR Tron at SCG Syracuse unless something crazy comes up between now and then.

Any of you have two Grove of the Burnwillows you're willing to part with?

duxstar

So preliminary gr werewolves deck is incredibly fun to play and 2 - 0 so far.

Ulrich after an arlinn kord is swinging for 10 all by himself, and even languish isnt game over with hanweir battlememts , and spirit io the hunt giving +3/+3.

It even beat an untuned spirits deck.

I've been seeing Nahiri pop up in MTGO Legacy streams.

And watching a Twitch stream from a store's Legacy night, I just witnessed a hilarious Junk Nic Fit named deck that played Meren of Clan Nel Toth (the Commander card), Dragonlord Dromoka, and Siege Rhino.

I have no experience with Nic Fit so it was a sight to see, especially running the Commander card giving the player experience counters.

Angry Grimace

You realize those blue glow hover robots are things that don't exist in real life right? Not having guns but having fucking Terminator-level hover bots is pretty fucking stupid.

So I kind of want to get into this game. Where do I even start? Is Blue/Black still the best?

Can I get into this game even semi cheaply? I.e. Buy a starter deck or two and then get some individual cards to fill it out?

bigkrev

So I kind of want to get into this game. Where do I even start? Is Blue/Black still the best?

Can I get into this game even semi cheaply? I.e. Buy a starter deck or two and then get some individual cards to fill it out?

Depends what you want to get out of the game. If you want to show up to a Standard tournament at your local store and do respectable, you can get in for around $200, though Standard rotates twice a year and cards stop being legal. If you want to do the same for a modern tournament, you can spend anywhere from $400 to $2000 on a deck, but cards don't rotate so you can probably play your same deck for years.

If you want to play with friends, then you obviously don't need to spend anywhere near that amount of money. Starter Decks/Deckbuilder Toolkits are perfectly fine entry items, and the Commander precons are fine starting points if you want to play Commander/EDH.

You can also play Limited, which requires you to open sealed product every time you play (drafting or sealed deck), which is my preferred way to play, and would cost you around $15 if you were drafting at your local store.

The cost really comes down to what you are looking to get out of the game. If you are starting from basically nothing, you should download the Duels of the Planeswalkers game on your PC, Phone, or Xbox to get familiar with the game

duxstar

I played a guy on Bant Company w/Spell Queller and Elder Deep Fried and I would say the deck felt pretty much oppressive.

Elder deep fiend is ..... dumb , the fact that these decks operate almost entirely on your turn , with no clear answer readily apparent is incredibly annoying.

I have no idea what they were thinking with Spell Queller either. I think gw tokens as a deck is done though. I keep hoping theres some secret deck technology out there that isnt bant company and spirits.

Bandini

I've been seeing Nahiri pop up in MTGO Legacy streams.

And watching a Twitch stream from a store's Legacy night, I just witnessed a hilarious Junk Nic Fit named deck that played Meren of Clan Nel Toth (the Commander card), Dragonlord Dromoka, and Siege Rhino.

I have no experience with Nic Fit so it was a sight to see, especially running the Commander card giving the player experience counters.

Nic-Fit is probably my favorite Legacy deck right now. Veteran Explorer and Cabal Therapy have amazing synergy and make it so easy to ramp. Dragonlord Dromoka is absurdly busted in the format, most decks just can't answer it and the "Opponents can't cast spells during your turn" ability makes it so none of your creatures can be countered. Green Sun's Zenith means you have a ton of different tools at your disposal. Just a really fun deck that leads to some great matches.

Angry Grimace

Elder deep fiend is ..... dumb , the fact that these decks operate almost entirely on your turn , with no clear answer readily apparent is incredibly annoying.

I have no idea what they were thinking with Spell Queller either. I think gw tokens as a deck is done though. I keep hoping theres some secret deck technology out there that isnt bant company and spirits.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if this wasn't the most laughably short Standard season (it ends in like 2 months), Collected Company would eat a Standard ban.

Play it for zero?
I actually put it into multiple decks solely to discard or even CoCo into it. But more than 1 feels like a waste and at the end I'd rather have a playable there.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210847839]Terrarion?[/QUOTE]

worth a 2nd look could work well with Angelic Purge even. Chances are turn 1 land is gonna CIPT though.

Depends what you want to get out of the game. If you want to show up to a Standard tournament at your local store and do respectable, you can get in for around $200, though Standard rotates twice a year and cards stop being legal. If you want to do the same for a modern tournament, you can spend anywhere from $400 to $2000 on a deck, but cards don't rotate so you can probably play your same deck for years.

If you want to play with friends, then you obviously don't need to spend anywhere near that amount of money. Starter Decks/Deckbuilder Toolkits are perfectly fine entry items, and the Commander precons are fine starting points if you want to play Commander/EDH.

You can also play Limited, which requires you to open sealed product every time you play (drafting or sealed deck), which is my preferred way to play, and would cost you around $15 if you were drafting at your local store.

The cost really comes down to what you are looking to get out of the game. If you are starting from basically nothing, you should download the Duels of the Planeswalkers game on your PC, Phone, or Xbox to get familiar with the game

Yeah I've done Planeswalkers a bit. I know (most) of the rules and such. I suppose I really only want to play casually. I'd do Magic Online if it wasn't such garbage (from what I hear anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom