• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Upon thinking about it, I think the Vehicles will have the art on the left and the text on the right. You want to be able to see the text, and visually it looks cool because if you put the creature that's in the Vehicle on top of the card, it's like they're "jumping in".

Kinda similar to these fan planeswalkers

Ajani%20Sideways.png

All the relevant text is on the right.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Upon thinking about it, I think the Vehicles will have the art on the left and the text on the right. You want to be able to see the text, and visually it looks cool because if you put the creature that's in the Vehicle on top of the card, it's like they're "jumping in".

Kinda similar to these fan planeswalkers

Ajani%20Sideways.png

All the relevant text is on the right.

I like to be able to read the text on my cards when they're in my hand *and* on the battlefield.

The article just ends at the word Delirium now. I pretty much popped a monocle when I saw it, I'm astonished it got through at least three sets of eyes. They fixed it quick too since apparently no one went and made a reddit thread.

EDIT: putting my two cents now on a mechanic where vehicles are "live" as long as someone controls a specific number of creatures or attaches that number of creatures to the vehicle.

The "obvious" way to do it would be an Equipment that becomes an Artifact Creature when attached, and must attack when the attached creature attacks (and vice-versa).

I'm just not sure if that's mechanically interesting enough, though certainly it can be more something that other cards build around (for example, the ever-present "creature or effect that attaches equipment at combat speed") mechanically rather than something that's necessarily an interesting lever in isolation.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That implantation of vehicles sounds just like equipment to me. Or at least, not mechanically different enough to really make much sense.

Maybe... vehicles interact with land and not creatures. Or both. Or it's equipment for planeswalkers.

Really all the reasonable ideas I can come up with are just equipment variants and that's not worth creating a new card type for.

OnPoint

I have a hard time believing they'd do sideways cards since turning your cards sideways is one of the core mechanics of the entire game.

explodet

Our fat pack had two Permeating Mass cards.

It also had the only card we wanted to have just for fun.

harmlessoffering.jpg

I see absolutely no use for it in our current strategies, but it's just so cute.

Wichu

Starfield + Lunar Force lock is fun.

One of my opponents got salty because I drew Starfield every game.

In a control mirror, with four Starfields and eight ways to dig for it, I'd be honestly more surprised if I didn't draw Starfield every game :p

Nahiri's Wrath is the real deal, got it 4th pick in draft but went 1-2. My deck was mediocre just creatures and removal could have went 2-1 I guess if I hadn't lost the mirror.
Discarding Emra2l to Nahiri's wrath seems like a flavour win, one of my rares got stolen or lost but it was just a bulk rare.

Also a foil bottom half of chittering host.

ajf009

Quick rules question: if my opponent casts Though Knot Seer and chooses to exile snapcaster mage, can I cast Snapcaster in response to his choice or did I have to cast Snapcaster in response to Thought Knot entering?

duxstar

Quick rules question: if my opponent casts Though Knot Seer and chooses to exile snapcaster mage, can I cast Snapcaster in response to his choice or did I have to cast Snapcaster in response to Thought Knot entering?

90% sure you need to cast snap caster first once it resolves your saying ok heres my hand, you need to respond to the trigger , so they play thought knot, you let it resolve, then say in response to the trigger , flash in snapcaster

You have to cast it before Thought-Knot Seer's ability resolves. You can't perform any actions while the ability is resolving.

1. Thought-Knot Seer is cast.
2. Thought-Knot Seer enters the battlefield, ability put on stack.
3. Ability resolves. Opponent chooses a card from your hand and exiles it.

You can do stuff between those events, but not during.

Also, on Blogatog, MaRo's new posts now all have #WotCStaff. smh

duxstar

Found out a local guy is going to the pro tour in Sydney, a guy i have beaten in limited before a couple of times but still a really good magic player. Makes me wonder if i shouldnt be attending ptqs and the ilk. I just hate the rules lawyering and asshole personalities that i hear about from people who have been to those places.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My box was pretty good.

Emrakul, Decimator of Provinces, Tamiyo, Gisela, Deploy the Gatewatch, Mirrorwing Dragon, Nahiri's Wrath, and Ishkanah.

Fat pack had Tamiyo, Grim Flayer and Nahiri's Wrath.

Angry Grimace

You can't respond to the choice itself because it's made as part of the resolution of the trigger.

cuc

Magic's old artifact framework was only good for one thing: depicting strategic assets that sorceror kings who sit on their thrones and watch battles from crystal balls can use. The system works for boosting or hindering the sorceror kings' spellcasting, or functioning as long distance superweapons, but gets clumsy when it comes to artifacts that are tactical in nature, such as martial weapons (always a big draw of the fantasy genre!), vehicles, or other manmade structures on the battlefield at a larger than human scale.

Before Mirrodin, weapons and garments had sometimes been implemented as enchantments, and vehicles and structures varyingly as creatures (walls and the majority of ships), artifacts, lands, and enchantments.

In conclusion, we now know that Maro once had the ambition to solve this huge flavor problem once and for all, by introducing separate subtypes for these objects - Equipment, Vehicle and Fortification.

So how was Darksteel Garrison received?

Some dude in edh cube just won 3 flips on fiery gambit:

imagetskyl.jpg

...then played sneak attack and discarded to handsize. I killed his sneak attack and he didn't even flash anything in. Never been so disappointed in my life.

Had to be satisfied with making woodfall primus every turn. C'mon.

kjhlkjtpk6u.png

Ashodin

Pulls from half a box + fat pack

Foil Liliana cha ching
Tamiyo
Emrakul
2x Grim Slayer
Thalia
Elder deep fried
Gisa and Geralf
Tree
Mausoleum wanderer
Distended mind bender
Ulrich
Hanweir
Selfless spirit
Splendid rec

Our fat pack had two Permeating Mass cards.

It also had the only card we wanted to have just for fun.

harmlessoffering.jpg

I see absolutely no use for it in our current strategies, but it's just so cute.

This card wheeled at FNM. I wanted to take it for cuteness points, but I had absolutely no use for it.

4 fucking spellquellers. Lucky draw not very indicative. Don't think the spirit deck is actually very good.

As good as spell quellers are they are a tempo play and in multiples if you can get rid of one you can almost chain the removal exiled by them.

The deck is labeled as Bant, not 4-Color, so likely not.

I meant spell quellers not Liliana, badly constructed post. Sorry.
A single spell queller on the company side would have made the match completely different.

Still Lili picking off a rattle chain or just forcing a rattle chain being played with her plus makes it much tougher for spirits.

I hadn't considered that Tragic Arrogance could help Collected Company decks so much.

I meant spell quellers not Liliana, badly constructed post. Sorry.
A single spell queller on the company side would have made the match completely different.

Still Lili picking off a rattle chain or just forcing a rattle chain being played with her plus makes it much tougher for spirits.

The Collected Company player was playing Spell Queller. He got one off of CoCo once.

I hadn't considered that Tragic Arrogance could help Collected Company decks so much.

The Collected Company player was playing Spell Queller. He got one off of CoCo once.
How would that help? It'd just end up being spell quelled by the 4th spell queller in the top half of the spirit deck.
He drew 1 to the opponents 7, variance really sucks sometimes.

Edit: took me this long to realise tragic arrogance can't be spell quelled.

I'm surprised Kenney chose to exile Nissa instead of Liliana. Maybe he just didn't realize Liliana would enable delirium when destroyed.

Although it's moot, since he conceded anyway.

Ashodin

Looks like WotC fucked up the distribution of mythic in the boxes

Basically, grab one of each pack with a werewolf, Liliana, or Tamiyo. If one of those has a mythic, buy the other packs with the same wrapper. Boom all mythic.

I can't verify myself yet, but this only applies to packs out of boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom